Derby #37: Greed

No Bananas For You

The sad little monkey is traced from an older derby entry. http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=11238

Rejected because: The sad little monkey is traced from an older derby entry. http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=11238

add a comment

Comments

lowtoast


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lowtoast

Hehe

tiaerman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
Re: No Bananas For You


The look on the sad monkey's face is priceless! Good job!

It surprises me though that you have so many votes and no comments. Are Wooters just too lazy to comment on designs they think are good?

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

fablefire


quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
tiaerman wrote:The look on the sad monkey's face is priceless! Good job!

It surprises me though that you have so many votes and no comments. Are Wooters just too lazy to comment on designs they think are good?


I think it's more an indicator of what kind of wooter is voting on the design.

KENPARS0NS


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS
Re: No Bananas For You


Awwww... that's so sad... BAD MONKEY!

Sachmoe64


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sachmoe64
Re: No Bananas For You


I wish you would have taken a little longer and made the bananas unique with the correct lighting. The bananas kind of make a jumbled mess to me... but thats just me thinking out loud. I do like the expressions.

mjpupillo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
Re: No Bananas For You


Thanks for all of the support so far. 1st time anywhere near the fog.



byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

ok, what is everyone's fascination with monkeys?

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
byrbwr wrote:ok, what is everyone's fascination with monkeys?


I have no idea.. tired of seeing them.. and trees.. and..

mjpupillo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
2thFairy wrote:I have no idea.. tired of seeing them.. and trees.. and..


don't forget skulls and all things cute and fuzzy. i agree, but just thought it fit the theme too well to pass up.



waacodemon


quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
Re: No Bananas For You


funny shirt

i wouldnt wear it, but my sister liked it, so i voted

I once ate a cricket.

WonderWooter


quality posts: 6 Private Messages WonderWooter
Re: No Bananas For You


okay, I know everyone dislikes memes, but the truth is some things are popular because they look good on T-shirts. Monkeys fall in that category. This is my idea of a really cute T-shirt.

Glad you spent time with the monkey expressions too, it sells the shirt. GMV

Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.

banjodude95


quality posts: 0 Private Messages banjodude95

Oh man i hope this wins i twould go great in my
monkey" collection




tiaerman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiaerman
mjpupillo wrote:don't forget skulls and all things cute and fuzzy. i agree, but just thought it fit the theme too well to pass up.

And we don't see enough flying penguins

There are 10 types of people: those who know binary, and those who don't.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
Re: No Bananas For You


i wish people would actually look at these designs before succumbing to their pavlovian instinct to auto vote for MONKEYS!!!!!!!! It's not particularly well drawn at all, the bananas are just bad...and for god's sake...it's two monkeys and some bananas. wooters are so frigging predictable....it's pathetic.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
fablefire wrote:I think it's more an indicator of what kind of wooter is voting on the design.


Bingo.

Naris


quality posts: 12 Private Messages Naris
Re: No Bananas For You


Absolutely adorable. It seems a bit too feminine for me, but I might buy one.

Monkeys on shirts never seem to grow old or outdated. Don't know why...

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Naris wrote:Absolutely adorable. It seems a bit too feminine for me, but I might buy one.

Monkeys on shirts never seem to grow old or outdated. Don't know why...


nostril... oh, man!

phreekonature


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phreekonature
Re: No Bananas For You


Love it! GMV Would look great on my little one (Woot make the kids sizes, will ya?!?!?)

Ignore the gripes. Remember what Reggie always said: "People don't b o o nobodies"

mjpupillo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
phreekonature wrote:Love it! GMV Would look great on my little one (Woot make the kids sizes, will ya?!?!?)

Ignore the gripes. Remember what Reggie always said: "People don't b o o nobodies"


Thanks for the encouragement. And quoting Mr. October...nice.

I hope the monkeys can hang around and get printed, but they haven't been in the hotness today. We shall see.



kirsi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirsi

I haven't seen a shirt.woot that i've liked for quite a while. i hope i can get this one! ^_^

twincarma


quality posts: 0 Private Messages twincarma
Re: No Bananas For You

doesnt look like a vector. isnt it going to print pixelated like it looks?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
twincarma wrote:doesnt look like a vector. isnt it going to print pixelated like it looks?


I don't see any pixelation beyond what is to be expected when saving as a jpg. In any case, there is no requirement that the image be made as a vector. Raster images are fine as long as they are at 300 dpi. The design detail and shirt comp are not representative of the high quality file used by woot for printing.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

twincarma


quality posts: 0 Private Messages twincarma
eHalcyon wrote:I don't see any pixelation beyond what is to be expected when saving as a jpg. In any case, there is no requirement that the image be made as a vector. Raster images are fine as long as they are at 300 dpi. The design detail and shirt comp are not representative of the high quality file used by woot for printing.


ok ive been confused by that and thought it would print like the jpg looks.

Aberrantic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aberrantic
brizz wrote:i wish people would actually look at these designs before succumbing to their pavlovian instinct to auto vote for MONKEYS!!!!!!!! It's not particularly well drawn at all, the bananas are just bad...and for god's sake...it's two monkeys and some bananas. wooters are so frigging predictable....it's pathetic.


Gotta agree with Brizz on this one. It looks like a cruddy version of the paul frank stuff, which I didn't like even when I the right age for it.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
twincarma wrote:ok ive been confused by that and thought it would print like the jpg looks.


Well the design will be the same, but any strange pixelation ("artifacts") won't appear. jpg images are usually a little bit blurry because of compression and other technical junk. When designers submit images to the derby, all that you see are 72 dpi images for the design detail and shirt comp.

If something is going to be printed, the designer needs to send a 300 dpi image to woot (if they hadn't already) - and it would be a pdf, psd or ai file (I can't remember if others were allowed) so the quality will be much higher. If they don't get that file, even if the design had thousands of votes more than the next in line, it will get passed over. So if it's just a little bit pixelated, you don't need to worry about it.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: No Bananas For You


Why does your monkey have a penis-tail?

lunartan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
AdderXYU wrote:Why does your monkey have a penis-tail?

Nevermore!, that's what she said...
great comment, adder.
cute design, just doesn't get a rise outta me though

kimster13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimster13
Re: No Bananas For You


Where did u get the idea for this???

kim rice

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: No Bananas For You


Personally, I think this falls in with the Nessie shirt and others of its kind. The artistry isn't amazing (which is ok), it fits the theme pretty much but not precisely, the creativity level isn't stellar, but more importantly, it looks like a shirt for kids. I really can't see an adult wearing this shirt, male or female. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, and congrats for the votes. I am just perplexed.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mjpupillo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
kimster13 wrote:Where did u get the idea for this???


i just spent some time thinking about greed. i figured a lot of people would go the money route or the "as greedy as a pig" route, so i tried to think of something else. how do you show greed without text? i figured someone has a bunch of stuff and isn't sharing, someone has nothing. monkeys and bananas came to mind first. voila.



eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
kylemittskus wrote:Personally, I think this falls in with the Nessie shirt and others of its kind. The artistry isn't amazing (which is ok), it fits the theme pretty much but not precisely, the creativity level isn't stellar, but more importantly, it looks like a shirt for kids. I really can't see an adult wearing this shirt, male or female. Please, correct me if I'm wrong, and congrats for the votes. I am just perplexed.


I'm turning 20 this year and I bought Nessie. I would definitely wear this if someone gave it to me, though I don't really want to pay $15 for it (I live in Canada, so I have to pay an extra $5 for shipping). It probably really depends on how secure you are with your maturity and your masculinity (if you are a guy - which I am).

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
WonderWooter wrote:okay, I know everyone dislikes memes, but the truth is some things are popular because they look good on T-shirts. Monkeys fall in that category. This is my idea of a really cute T-shirt.

Glad you spent time with the monkey expressions too, it sells the shirt. GMV


I agree that this is cute....but FOR CHILDREN, NOT ADULTS

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
snarkygal wrote:I agree that this is cute....but FOR CHILDREN, NOT ADULTS


I think designs like this are fine for adults as well. I would be fine with wearing something like this around campus. If you work in an office it might not be entirely appropriate, but for casual stuff, just hanging out with friends or whatever? It's fine.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
snarkygal wrote:I agree that this is cute....but FOR CHILDREN, NOT ADULTS


I disagree, I think the tail on the monkey makes this shirt for adults only.

Seriously, please tell me what is supposed to be going on with the tail on the monkey with the bananas. Because now that I've seen it the dirty way, I can't see anything else.

"Hey, is that a banana on your shirt or are you just happy to see me?"

"Please pet my monkey."

sparklzk27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparklzk27
Re: No Bananas For You


This is one of my favorites this derby (and obviously a few others like it too), really nice work!

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
geekfactor12 wrote:I disagree, I think the tail on the monkey makes this shirt for adults only.

Seriously, please tell me what is supposed to be going on with the tail on the monkey with the bananas. Because now that I've seen it the dirty way, I can't see anything else.

"Hey, is that a banana on your shirt or are you just happy to see me?"

"Please pet my monkey."


Well, if you are one of the people on Woot that sees phallic symbols on everything, sure that is a P_E_N_I_S tail for sure, but it could be just a hairless end of a tail too. Just how you look at it, I guess.

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
snarkygal wrote:Well, if you are one of the people on Woot that sees phallic symbols on everything, sure that is a P_E_N_I_S tail for sure, but it could be just a hairless end of a tail too. Just how you look at it, I guess.


EDIT: But I must add that those monkeys look awfully familiar ......

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
snarkygal wrote:EDIT: But I must add that those monkeys look awfully familiar ......


FWIW, I think this rejection just illustrates the fact that people should be more up front with their non-original sources. I felt it was pretty obvious that the older shirt used a clip art monkey (but never felt like embracing the flood of negative responses that I would receive had I mentioned it), and after seeing this entry immediately assumed that it was using the same clip art, and not that it was a copy. I could of course be wrong here, but I think this seems more logical then that one was traced from the other. However, since the artists of both entries failed to mention that they were using clip art and indicated their legal rights to use the images, this entry got the axe. (If I am wrong and this was traced from the previous entry, then sorry or the rant, but shame on you.)

The lack of disclosure actually prevents my votes, at times. Specifically, in this derby, I would love to see some of the dragon sources that were used. There are a couple of high ranking dragon entries that I would only vote for if I knew how much original work was involved. Nothing against the artists, but I've just seen too much copied, traced, or unoriginal work to vote for things that look too detailed without confirmation of what is original.

mjpupillo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
bluchez wrote:FWIW, I think this rejection just illustrates the fact that people should be more up front with their non-original sources. I felt it was pretty obvious that the older shirt used a clip art monkey (but never felt like embracing the flood of negative responses that I would receive had I mentioned it), and after seeing this entry immediately assumed that it was using the same clip art, and not that it was a copy. I could of course be wrong here, but I think this seems more logical then that one was traced from the other. However, since the artists of both entries failed to mention that they were using clip art and indicated their legal rights to use the images, this entry got the axe. (If I am wrong and this was traced from the previous entry, then sorry or the rant, but shame on you.)

The lack of disclosure actually prevents my votes, at times. Specifically, in this derby, I would love to see some of the dragon sources that were used. There are a couple of high ranking dragon entries that I would only vote for if I knew how much original work was involved. Nothing against the artists, but I've just seen too much copied, traced, or unoriginal work to vote for things that look too detailed without confirmation of what is original.


i appreciate your rant, as that is the case. it must be the same clip art. i didn't undestand the need to disclose my legal rights to use clip art. thank you for assuming that i did not trace another entry, as i would not do that.

i also appreciate your honesty about voting for original work. i have learned my lesson here and will stick to hand drawn original works in the future.

to everyone who voted for my idea, thank you. next time i'll execute without the aid of clipart. i wish the reason for rejection would be changed, however, to reflect what happened. i did not trace another entry and anyone who fails to click on the rejected image will think that i did.

thanks,

mjpupillo



bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
mjpupillo wrote:i appreciate your rant, as that is the case. it must be the same clip art. i didn't undestand the need to disclose my legal rights to use clip art. thank you for assuming that i did not trace another entry, as i would not do that.

i also appreciate your honesty about voting for original work. i have learned my lesson here and will stick to hand drawn original works in the future.

to everyone who voted for my idea, thank you. next time i'll execute without the aid of clipart. i wish the reason for rejection would be changed, however, to reflect what happened. i did not trace another entry and anyone who fails to click on the rejected image will think that i did.

thanks,

mjpupillo


FYI, there is no such thing as a 'repeal' on a rejection, so I am impressed that you didn't immediately complain and ask for one.

Typically, there is no requirement for any sort of disclosure, unless someone makes a post showing that the image is available elsewhere. In that case, a woot staffer will usually ask for proof that you can legally use the image. Apparently, since noone ever called yours into question (openly), you weren't given any reason to defend your piece, and therefore were incorrectly rejected. In any case, it's info for the future. If you use clip art, not a bad idea to point it out yourself, as it will be less harmful than someone else pointing it out, and MUCH less harmful than being incorrectly rejected. Of course, you can just prevet all of this by doing everything originally from the beginning, but that is up to the designer's choice in most derbies.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bluchez wrote:FWIW, I think this rejection just illustrates the fact that people should be more up front with their non-original sources. I felt it was pretty obvious that the older shirt used a clip art monkey (but never felt like embracing the flood of negative responses that I would receive had I mentioned it), and after seeing this entry immediately assumed that it was using the same clip art, and not that it was a copy. I could of course be wrong here, but I think this seems more logical then that one was traced from the other. However, since the artists of both entries failed to mention that they were using clip art and indicated their legal rights to use the images, this entry got the axe. (If I am wrong and this was traced from the previous entry, then sorry or the rant, but shame on you.)

The lack of disclosure actually prevents my votes, at times. Specifically, in this derby, I would love to see some of the dragon sources that were used. There are a couple of high ranking dragon entries that I would only vote for if I knew how much original work was involved. Nothing against the artists, but I've just seen too much copied, traced, or unoriginal work to vote for things that look too detailed without confirmation of what is original.

Blu, you mentioned sources for the dragons. Mine in particular has none. Dragons are one of the few things I draw completely out of nowhere. Over in the chat I can link you to the in-progress drawings though. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

pilfpolf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pilfpolf
mjpupillo wrote:i appreciate your rant, as that is the case. it must be the same clip art. i didn't undestand the need to disclose my legal rights to use clip art. thank you for assuming that i did not trace another entry, as i would not do that.

i also appreciate your honesty about voting for original work. i have learned my lesson here and will stick to hand drawn original works in the future.

to everyone who voted for my idea, thank you. next time i'll execute without the aid of clipart. i wish the reason for rejection would be changed, however, to reflect what happened. i did not trace another entry and anyone who fails to click on the rejected image will think that i did.

thanks,

mjpupillo







I AM SO SAD this is\was my all time fav shirt ;(

sharonjoo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharonjoo
Re: No Bananas For You


WHAT? why did this get rejected?
i was looking forward to this being one of the top three so i could purchase it
=(

<><

mikebrinkerhoff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikebrinkerhoff

The Sad Monkey looks even more sad with the big bad REJECTED in front of it. I would have bought this one - it's been quite a while since there's been a design I really liked!


amyjem321


quality posts: 0 Private Messages amyjem321

So, did the other entry 11238, by Andy47240, use a clip art monkey, too?

mjpupillo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjpupillo
amyjem321 wrote:So, did the other entry 11238, by Andy47240, use a clip art monkey, too?


it seems that way, yes. had i realized that, i wouldn't have used the same one. however, it now seems that staying away from clipart completely is the better way to go.



Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: No Bananas For You

Well, I feel aweful for mjpupillo, beacuse I know these Monkeys are mostly clip art. For my "Monkey Wrench" design I used a clip art monkey for the head and half of the body. I manipulated the arm to look human and added the wrench. I used the CorelDraw polygon tool to make the 8 pointed stars and a brush tool to make the streaks behind the design.
I have contacted the Woot staff about this. Had they asked me before they rejected it I would have told them as I have never denied legally using clip-art to aid a lot of my designs.
If this prevents anyone from voting for my artwork in the future that is your right for sure and I can live with that. I will still try to be a positive person to others in the forums.
-Andy



jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
Re: No Bananas For You


I can't understand why my post, that contained an opinion of mine, would get deleted. Am I being moderated for having an opinion? Yet, all the monkey penis comments were allowed to reamain in the thread. Go woot.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail