Derby #37: Greed
+98

World Hunger

World Hunger
add a comment

Comments

brent16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brent16
Re: World Hunger


this shirt is infatuated.
wheres your american pride

fillengroovy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fillengroovy

No kidding! Thank God America has the power it does, instead of say, Iran or China. America and Americans do more humanitarian deeds than all of the other countries put together!

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Re: World Hunger


Interesting design, but I don't see how it implies greed specifically. I think it is more easily interpreted as a statement about America as an international aggressor. I would kind of argue that it's off topic.

tallmidget


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallmidget
brent16 wrote:this shirt is infatuated.
wheres your american pride


oh, i've got pride, but u don't think we're eating up some of the world's resources faster than we should be? I think otherwise.

brent16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brent16
tallmidget wrote:oh, i've got pride, but u don't think we're eating up some of the world's resources faster than we should be? I think otherwise.


and china still has child labor....

brent16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brent16

i do like your design, but not your theme.

tallmidget


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallmidget
brent16 wrote:i do like your design, but not your theme.


ya....i know..i feel bad about it, kinda...but its the idea that popped into my head, and i'm proud it came out right...it seemed like a good representation of greed at first...oh well. at least i'm doing better than last week (all i can hope for is improvement, right?) and this is my 2nd submission, btw.

durumcan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages durumcan
Re: World Hunger


I think this shirt expresses the truth. However, as your fellow wooters' reaction shows, the truth is not always welcome.

Good try though. You have my vote.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
fillengroovy wrote:No kidding! Thank God America has the power it does, instead of say, Iran or China. America and Americans do more humanitarian deeds than all of the other countries put together!


Since neither Iran nor China have had so much power, it is pure conjecture to guess at how they would act given such control. It could very well be that they'd be much more benevolent than they are in current situations. On the other hand, it could be disastrous - but we really don't know. As for American humanitarian efforts, the reason why the US does "more humanitarian deeds than all of the other countries put together" (if this claim is true, which I think is doubtful) would be BECAUSE of all the power it has.



brent16 wrote:and china still has child labor....


That's pretty much irrelevant to the message behind this shirt. You should also consider that much of that child labour is exploited by American companies.



tallmidget wrote:ya....i know..i feel bad about it, kinda...but its the idea that popped into my head, and i'm proud it came out right...it seemed like a good representation of greed at first...oh well. at least i'm doing better than last week (all i can hope for is improvement, right?) and this is my 2nd submission, btw.


I think you did an excellent job, and though some proud Americans may be inclined to disagree with the statement, it is truth. An unpleasant truth, but truth nonetheless.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

doogfood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages doogfood
Re: World Hunger


I like your idea, and I totally agree on it. However, I personally think that egocentric/ethnocentric would be a better word than greed to describe it. I wonder how many people are gonna bash my comment here....

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
doogfood wrote:I like your idea, and I totally agree on it. However, I personally think that egocentric/ethnocentric would be a better word than greed to describe it. I wonder how many people are gonna bash my comment here....


egocentric.. good word.

tallmidget


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tallmidget
doogfood wrote:I like your idea, and I totally agree on it. However, I personally think that egocentric/ethnocentric would be a better word than greed to describe it. I wonder how many people are gonna bash my comment here....


wait...are u saying i or my idea is ego/ethnocentric? all my design is suggesting is that america is greedily eating up the world's resources. bottom line. that's it. i didn' t mean anything else by it. (not trying to "bash your comment")

i'm not saying america is better than anyone. i'm not saying that we attack anyone. we're just using up resources. its true. if i could use text, i would make it like a political cartoon and it would say "natural resources" on the earth for clarification.

for anyone that would like to suggest that i'm unpatriotic, i would like to add that i say the Pledge of Allegiance everyday, not because I have to, but because i choose to, and i understand what it means to live in such a great nation. if u don't like the design, u don't have to vote for it.

sorry. just kinda sick of the bashing on it.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
tallmidget wrote: i would like to add that i say the Pledge of Allegiance everyday, not because I have to, but because i choose to, and i understand what it means to live in such a great nation.


can you say overkill?

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail