Derby #37: Greed
+733

The Tycoon of ICE

The Tycoon of ICE
add a comment

Comments

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Re: The Tycoon of ICE

Mr. Ice has the selfish desire for his bling possessions and is willing to put his own kind at work. Mr. Ice loves bling. Mr. Ice loves Ice. Mr. Ice loves you.

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


I loved it before I even clicked on the thumbnail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

planitL


quality posts: 0 Private Messages planitL

I'm pretty sure penguins are now banned from the contests. I wonder if it will be rejected.

pstan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan
planitL wrote:I'm pretty sure penguins are now banned from the contests. I wonder if it will be rejected.


To my knowledge it is just penguins who are trying to fly.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
planitL wrote:I'm pretty sure penguins are now banned from the contests. I wonder if it will be rejected.


I thought it was flying penguins that were banned...

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
artulo wrote:I thought it was flying penguins that were banned...

It is. Flying Penguins that are banned, not penguins.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


Oh, and great job Cho. Love your work! Gotta get my bling on with Mr. Ice.

Bryan818


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
artulo wrote:Oh, and great job Cho. Love your work! Gotta get my bling on with Mr. Ice.


i was gonna put that hat on my penguin! damn i should have!

i pm'd you yesterday

Please check it out

GravityJMB


quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


Adorable.

easeandgrace


quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeandgrace
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


Awww... poor little slave penguins. I don't say this often - only a few so far have appealed enough to me to make me say I gotta have this one, but I gotta have this one. Great idea, great image. Nice choice of shirt color, thank you.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


Cho, cho, cho...

It's adorable. It's amazingly done and amazingly detailed. But I weep inside at the penguins.

Patchitect


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


O M Good Gravy!!!!! Its a PENGUIN!! Run for the hills!!!

Um,, does this mean that cho does not have "half a grain of respectability"?

I'm so confused!

DarK41


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarK41
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


This is too awesome :D

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Patchitect wrote:O M Good Gravy!!!!! Its a PENGUIN!! Run for the hills!!!

Um,, does this mean that cho does not have "half a grain of respectability"?

I'm so confused!


I think the better question would be "if cho does a penguin, how little respectability do the other penguin-drawers have?" This is easily the apex of a tired thematic element... like Jimiyo's pirate, of which woot said "Jimiyo, who is an artist talented enough to make us like pirates again. Keep in mind that you probably are not. We’re sorry, we love you, but that’s just a fact. A fact as cruel and cold as the sea itself."

Similarly, the quality of this one penguin design doesn't make penguins good. It simply makes it all the more stark how horrible the other penguins were. Wouldn't you agree?

Patchitect


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
AdderXYU wrote:I think the better question would be "if cho does a penguin, how little respectability do the other penguin-drawers have?" This is easily the apex of a tired thematic element... like Jimiyo's pirate, of which woot said "Jimiyo, who is an artist talented enough to make us like pirates again. Keep in mind that you probably are not. We’re sorry, we love you, but that’s just a fact. A fact as cruel and cold as the sea itself."

Similarly, the quality of this one penguin design doesn't make penguins good. It simply makes it all the more stark how horrible the other penguins were. Wouldn't you agree?


Um.. no - i wouldn't agree..

racinreaver


quality posts: 2 Private Messages racinreaver
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


If this goes on shirt.woot it'll be the first shirt I buy off of there after checking daily for three months now.

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

GMV
nice work (again) JC...combines two Batman villians too!
I like my top hats with the front brim down

xojc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xojc

Two tuxedos is just excessive.

nulli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nulli
xojc wrote:Two tuxedos is just excessive.


Isn't excess pretty much the theme? This design is great. You have done a great job exposing penguins exploiting penguins. It's an issue that’s so often overshadowed by topics like "Monkey overlords intercepting U.N. banana shipments intended for starving monkeys," and "ravenous snake devours horse." Which are also very newsworthy but this promotes penguin awareness so well, so boldly. It stares directly at those who believe that the penguins are so far away the issue does not matter, and those pro-penguin proponents who receive kickbacks from the penguins to scream foul and demand to take this or that penguin submission down. It stares right at those people and forces us to ask the question. How long are we going to let the plight of the penguins go on?

Aberrantic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aberrantic
nulli wrote:Isn't excess pretty much the theme? This design is great. You have done a great job exposing penguins exploiting penguins. It's an issue that’s so often overshadowed by topics like "Monkey overlords intercepting U.N. banana shipments intended for starving monkeys," and "ravenous snake devours horse." Which are also very newsworthy but this promotes penguin awareness so well, so boldly. It stares directly at those who believe that the penguins are so far away the issue does not matter, and those pro-penguin proponents who receive kickbacks from the penguins to scream foul and demand to take this or that penguin submission down. It stares right at those people and forces us to ask the question. How long are we going to let the plight of the penguins go on?


Ahahahaha you're brilliant. Well said!

surflunesta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages surflunesta
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


Penguin Blood Diamonds...gotta love it. Nice work JC

ssilynro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssilynro

love this design!

mjl9320


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320

I'll be surprised if this doesn't win.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
nulli wrote:Isn't excess pretty much the theme? This design is great. You have done a great job exposing penguins exploiting penguins. It's an issue that’s so often overshadowed by topics like "Monkey overlords intercepting U.N. banana shipments intended for starving monkeys," and "ravenous snake devours horse." Which are also very newsworthy but this promotes penguin awareness so well, so boldly. It stares directly at those who believe that the penguins are so far away the issue does not matter, and those pro-penguin proponents who receive kickbacks from the penguins to scream foul and demand to take this or that penguin submission down. It stares right at those people and forces us to ask the question. How long are we going to let the plight of the penguins go on?


Excess is not the theme. Greed is the theme. And for that, I I am an un-original person to see how this fits the theme of greed. This penguin has other penguins working for him but I do not see any greed here. I see a penguin, dressed well, with slave penguins. How is this greed?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
kylemittskus wrote:Excess is not the theme. Greed is the theme. And for that, I I am an un-original person to see how this fits the theme of greed. This penguin has other penguins working for him but I do not see any greed here. I see a penguin, dressed well, with slave penguins. How is this greed?


The tycoon is obviously a greedy penguin...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

nulli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nulli
kylemittskus wrote:Excess is not the theme. Greed is the theme. And for that, I I am an un-original person to see how this fits the theme of greed. This penguin has other penguins working for him but I do not see any greed here. I see a penguin, dressed well, with slave penguins. How is this greed?


The key words being pretty much. Excess means more then is required, or needed. Greed is an excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth. So greedy penguins by nature are excessive, and wear two tuxedos.

I don't think I pointed out to or accused you of being unoriginal. Thats must be something you read into, I am not one to put others down

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
nulli wrote:The key words being pretty much. Excess means more then is required, or needed. Greed is an excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth. So greedy penguins by nature are excessive, and wear two tuxedos.

I don't think I pointed out to or accused you of being unoriginal. Thats must be something you read into, I am not one to put others down


No, no. You didn't. I didn't write that. I'm trying to remember what I wrote that would have been filtered into that. I still I am an un-original person to see how this shirt represents greed. The fact that the penguin is wearing two tuxedos doesnt justify it for me. And someone above said that he is obviously greedy, but I don't see how obvious that is.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
kylemittskus wrote:No, no. You didn't. I didn't write that. I'm trying to remember what I wrote that would have been filtered into that. I still I am an un-original person to see how this shirt represents greed. The fact that the penguin is wearing two tuxedos doesnt justify it for me. And someone above said that he is obviously greedy, but I don't see how obvious that is.


Well you can sort of think as the penguin as a scrooge or a stereotypical successful business person. The penguin is well off but he's exploiting all the other little penguins to get to the top. He has so much but he refuses to help those who aren't as fiscally advantaged, in fact abusing them to further his gain. He's just greedy and needs more, more, more, and always at the expense of others.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
eHalcyon wrote:Well you can sort of think as the penguin as a scrooge or a stereotypical successful business person. The penguin is well off but he's exploiting all the other little penguins to get to the top. He has so much but he refuses to help those who aren't as fiscally advantaged, in fact abusing them to further his gain. He's just greedy and needs more, more, more, and always at the expense of others.


Ok. But he doesn't have that much. He has a suit and a nice walking stick and a monocle. And didn't you say this shirt was ugly anyway? (Which I agree with).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
kylemittskus wrote:Ok. But he doesn't have that much. He has a suit and a nice walking stick and a monocle. And didn't you say this shirt was ugly anyway? (Which I agree with).

hahha, man you crack me up. hahahaha <3

molerner


quality posts: 1 Private Messages molerner
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


I wish the color wasn't baby blue. I'll probably buy it anyways.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
jamescho84 wrote:hahha, man you crack me up. hahahaha <3


I always really enjoy your submissions and I appreciate that you are an artist and not just a clip art or text person. This shirt just isn't doing it for me and I think its connection to the theme is tenuous.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

surflunesta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages surflunesta
kylemittskus wrote:I always really enjoy your submissions and I appreciate that you are an artist and not just a clip art or text person. This shirt just isn't doing it for me and I think its connection to the theme is tenuous.


Tenuous? How about you being a little more open-minded. The theme is greed.....you cannot see it?? Look at it again, especially the Pimp Penguin (ok, I had to rope in the young 'uns)....He is all about the ice, nevermind the laboring -penguins. Thats why I referred to it as Penguin Blood Diamonds earlier. No blood involved, but most would get the idea if they saw the flik

revmymotor


quality posts: 0 Private Messages revmymotor
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


Finally, it is exposed, he's really a pimp penguin. Pimps are always greedy.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
kylemittskus wrote:Ok. But he doesn't have that much. He has a suit and a nice walking stick and a monocle. And didn't you say this shirt was ugly anyway? (Which I agree with).


No, I didn't say that.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SamoaJoe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJoe
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


As I've said 3 times now, only to have all 3 deleted, in my opinion this is an ugly shirt. I don't like the colors, don't like the theme, and don't believe it's something I'd wear without feeling really out of place. It's a perfect shirt for children, but not for any self-respecting adult IMO.

VOTE FOR DEREK !!!

Nightmare on Wall Street

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
SamoaJoe wrote:As I've said 3 times now, only to have all 3 deleted, in my opinion this is an ugly shirt. I don't like the colors, don't like the theme, and don't believe it's something I'd wear without feeling really out of place. It's a perfect shirt for children, but not for any self-respecting adult IMO.


So Joe, since you think "It's a perfect shirt for children," then buy two or three. How often do you find a "perfect" garment?

CCarnage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CCarnage

Awesome shirt, I'll be sad if this isn't chosen.... I'm totally buying one if it is.

4/1/2008 Random Crap 3
1 Shirt.Woot! "Angry Day"

nulli


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nulli
SamoaJoe wrote:As I've said 3 times now, only to have all 3 deleted, in my opinion this is an ugly shirt. I don't like the colors, don't like the theme, and don't believe it's something I'd wear without feeling really out of place. It's a perfect shirt for children, but not for any self-respecting adult IMO.


The reason you most likely are being deleted is because you are spewing hate that is subjective with no basis to back it up except you hate hate it. You have no Woot purchases or any submissions but you want to attack this design? You have taken no risk, contributed nothing. You have appeared here just to bash penguins. The truth is out you work for the greedy penguin tycoons. The Penguin Liberation Organization (yes the PLO) is growing in numbers and soon the penguins will be free. Slave penguins are escaping though the Frozen Railroad in increasing numbers everyday. The penguin tycoon days are numbered.


erinlein


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinlein
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


okay, how bout a new character?

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


Maybe those open pit mining penguins have medical benefits, life insurance benefits, 401k and long term disability benefits. As well as collective bargaining.

He just might be a rich, entrepreneurial penguin instead of a greedy robber-baron penguin.

I mean, this is the 00's. And those diamonds might be moissanite. You never know. Just because el jefe doesn't dress like Bill Gates or other latter day fortune 100 guys, doesn't mean he's a greedy guy. He just has sartorial exuberance.
\

mjl9320


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320
SamoaJoe wrote:As I've said 3 times now, only to have all 3 deleted, in my opinion this is an ugly shirt. I don't like the colors, don't like the theme, and don't believe it's something I'd wear without feeling really out of place. It's a perfect shirt for children, but not for any self-respecting adult IMO.


Most self-respecting adults don't wear tee shirts. Don't be angry, just hold out for that occasional winning shirt you do like, no matter how sparse they are. You don't want to spend $10 on a tee shirt every day anyway.

Skyler8899


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skyler8899
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


why are flying penguins banned??

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
mjl9320 wrote:Most self-respecting adults don't wear tee shirts. Don't be angry, just hold out for that occasional winning shirt you do like, no matter how sparse they are. You don't want to spend $10 on a tee shirt every day anyway.


That is bullpucky that adults that wear tshirts have no self-respect. And SamoaJoe is just a Jamescho84 stalker. He only comes out to make hateful comments on his designs.

woot151


quality posts: 0 Private Messages woot151
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


James Cho, are you from Maryland?

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
SamoaJoe wrote:As I've said 3 times now, only to have all 3 deleted, in my opinion this is an ugly shirt. I don't like the colors, don't like the theme, and don't believe it's something I'd wear without feeling really out of place. It's a perfect shirt for children, but not for any self-respecting adult IMO.


It's not the message, it's the messenger. You have made it clear that you will throw mud at anything Cho submits, so it's hard to tell when you are just whining or if you have a legitimate comment. Your previous comments were so venomous that woot deleted them. This one is being left up so we can laugh at you.

SRMN


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SRMN

Must, get, this, printed.

Tehh4x


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tehh4x
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


The Chobomb strikes back.
I voted for it, and personally i love it.
i'd buy
Grats Cho on making the fog the last... well... every derby you enter in.

kixxster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kixxster
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


I think I'm kind of tired of expressionless penguins. Cho has done a great job on the illustration...but no more penguins for awhile, please?




jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

What is unmentioned is that behind the slaves and the giant ice quarry is the Tycoon's personal jet made of solid ice. Slave penguins being driven to exhaustion, worked to the point where they fall dead on the ground, so one tycoon penguin can fly around in his iced-out-jetliner? This penguin doesn't fly for me!!!!!

(also, +1 vote)

BryanW3535


quality posts: 1 Private Messages BryanW3535

Great! This is the only one I would buy. I would be in for one for me and probably one for my girl.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jawlz wrote:What is unmentioned is that behind the slaves and the giant ice quarry is the Tycoon's personal jet made of solid ice. Slave penguins being driven to exhaustion, worked to the point where they fall dead on the ground, so one tycoon penguin can fly around in his iced-out-jetliner? This penguin doesn't fly for me!!!!!

(also, +1 vote)


the beauty of that is that when the plane is getting ready to take off, they don't mind if there's ice on the wings.

kennesey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kennesey
Jemmacakes wrote:Maybe those open pit mining penguins have medical benefits, life insurance benefits, 401k and long term disability benefits. As well as collective bargaining.

He just might be a rich, entrepreneurial penguin instead of a greedy robber-baron penguin.

I mean, this is the 00's. And those diamonds might be moissanite. You never know. Just because el jefe doesn't dress like Bill Gates or other latter day fortune 100 guys, doesn't mean he's a greedy guy. He just has sartorial exuberance.
\

egg-actly. It's interesting that so many have associated the depiction of a typical business structure with "greed".

dryfus423


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dryfus423
Re: The Tycoon of ICE



This is a great shirt. I have been waiting for a while to see a good penguin shirt to get my penguin loving brother. (And he is 21, but still would wear this shirt.) I guess you could say the penguin wasn't greedy unless you noticed his completely unnecessary cane with the diamond on top.

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


This shirt is obviously well done, but I, like others, don't think it conveys greed nearly as well as some other top-ten entries (ahem-tgentry's-ahem Excuse me!). And the fact that it's another penguin entry from Cho, who could do ANYTHING successfully, makes me sad. I know he hasn't had a winning entry in several weeks now, but I don't think that should mean pandering to the simplistic voters who obviously prefer boring, anthropomorphic cartoon characters over creativity and art. Cho, you are a great artist and a wonderful designer, and I would expect more out of you.

Carissima17


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Carissima17
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


I really like this shirt! I love penguins, and so does my little sister. If this one wins, I will be in for two. I have so many woot shirts now, and I totally wear them to work, including several cho designs. I am 24, which technically makes me an adult, but I think that the t-shirts help me show that I am not a boring cubicle gopher.

Cynthia

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
ansharp wrote:This shirt is obviously well done, but I, like others, don't think it conveys greed nearly as well as some other top-ten entries (ahem-tgentry's-ahem Excuse me!). And the fact that it's another penguin entry from Cho, who could do ANYTHING successfully, makes me sad. I know he hasn't had a winning entry in several weeks now, but I don't think that should mean pandering to the simplistic voters who obviously prefer boring, anthropomorphic cartoon characters over creativity and art. Cho, you are a great artist and a wonderful designer, and I would expect more out of you.


This was Cho's second entry, an. His first one, which is more complex, is molding in 8th place. I think he sent this one in just for fun. And wouldn't you know.....

AttilaTheMom


quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


Aha! Now we have the truth about where bling comes from! All those paris hilton wannabee's who bling out their cell phones should know that bling has blood on it! I hear leo dicaprio is in talks for the movie version of 'blood bling - ice is not nice!'....

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

BlazinApes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlazinApes
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


This is a must have, cant wait cant wait, love penguins my favorite

sugerhigh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sugerhigh

this shirt is amazing

lostmimic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lostmimic
sugerhigh wrote:this shirt is amazing


I really love Cho's work, I really hope this one doesnt get lost in the fog, missing out on the water one made me sad :'(

dea007


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dea007
Re: The Tycoon of ICE


I have no idea why there are so many penguin haters out there. They're freaking cute!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail