Derby #38: The Year You Were Born
+315

Warhol just turned in his grave -1987

Warhol just turned in his grave -1987
add a comment

Comments

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987

Very cool design. Glad you went with Brown.
-Andy



bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


Very nice. Great job.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


Creepy, but well drawn ;-)


Check out my blog:Here!

KENPARS0NS


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


I agree... creepy... but for some reason I like it!

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


if this doesnt win, ill raise hell. time for you to get a win, been a while right?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


Can we get a closer view of the print on the shirt? I like this.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


wow, great work, zenne! brown was a great choice!

I agree with the others, creepy, but I love it. Another shirt for when I'm sans kiddos! ;) gmv

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

wonderstew


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderstew
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987

Creepy.

Good work!

Shaving.

peppersabaddog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987




i hate warhol.
this however is totally awesome.
maybe because it's your own artwork, not just a copy of someone else's in horrid colors.
or maybe it's the lack of said horrid colors.
maybe it's that monroe is dead.
D. all of the above.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
peppersabaddog wrote:i hate warhol.
this however is totally awesome.
maybe because it's your own artwork, not just a copy of someone else's in horrid colors.
or maybe it's the lack of said horrid colors.
maybe it's that monroe is dead.
D. all of the above.


Not to knock Zenne's work, which is top notch as always, but in all fairness, she could have put in 1/8th of the effort and still come out on top of Mr. Warhol.

Past that I agree with everything you said. It shows that, if Warhol had a shred of creativity, a smidge of skill, and wasn't obviously totally colourblind, he might have been good enough to warrant a footnote in a legit art discussion.

Caligumby


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caligumby


This looks like the same idea that someone had in the forums this morning but done with Elvis in 1977...

shadesofgrey2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadesofgrey2
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


GMV. This one needs to win.

DSwarP


quality posts: 1 Private Messages DSwarP

So, as soon as I saw the derby subject, I go to wikipedia. I check out 1987, and see that Andy Warhol died that year. I think to myself, a death themed warhol, that would be perfect. Then, much to my dismay, I remembered that I was born in 1986. Then I saw this, and was like, goddamn, that was my idea.

True story.

vultureparade


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vultureparade

This one is not only a great idea, but a great design that takes shape and color into consideration. It was designed to look great as a shirt and not just as a picture.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


CAN YOU PLEASE POST A LARGER PICTURE OF THE SHIRT WITH THE ENTIRE DESIGN ON IT?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Zenne


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Zenne wrote::P

(crazy warhol skulls picture)


Zenne, why do you keep getting knocked out of the fog? It's all your fault, I know it. Just stay up there!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Turbotuff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff

No offense but I feel like this has been done, I see the differences and the similarities so I am not going to do anything but put this out there:

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
jimiyo wrote:if this doesnt win, ill raise hell. time for you to get a win, been a while right?


im getting my necronomicon book out... just in case.

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
jimiyo wrote:im getting my necronomicon book out... just in case.


lmfao

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Turbotuff wrote:No offense but I feel like this has been done, I see the differences and the similarities so I am not going to do anything but put this out there:


I would say this would be a odd coincidence, because Zenne is a Kick*ss original artist and would not likely follow suit with anything done already.
-Andy



Discobiscuits


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Turbotuff wrote:No offense but I feel like this has been done, I see the differences and the similarities so I am not going to do anything but put this out there:


that looks nothing like the image he made. i'm pretty sure that one uses over 6 colors -_-

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Discobiscuits wrote:that looks nothing like the image he made. i'm pretty sure that one uses over 6 colors -_-

It still scares me, And I fear nothing.


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

kindalikeyeah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kindalikeyeah
eHalcyon wrote:Zenne, why do you keep getting knocked out of the fog? It's all your fault, I know it. Just stay up there!


I see this shirt not close to winning anymore, and then I see the shirts that are winning and I just have to laugh at the whole thing...

It certainly is a strange world we live in.

littlejetties


quality posts: 0 Private Messages littlejetties

This design is so good. Why is it not in the fog. A couple of days ago, I actually thought I would be buying a derby shirt again. It's been a while. Maybe next week.

ejseader


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejseader
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


Effing awesome. Nice work!

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow

jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
littlejetties wrote:This design is so good. Why is it not in the fog. A couple of days ago, I actually thought I would be buying a derby shirt again. It's been a while. Maybe next week.


I thought so too. This design is just way too good to be in the fog, I guess? I have no idea why this isn't winning. It's by a popular artist, and it's an awesome design. Oh well. I haven't bought a derby shirt in a few months, might as well keep the trend going.

jemacken


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jemacken
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


I'm going to be disappointed because nobody is voting for this one and it is my absolute favorite. Awesome design!!!

kindalikeyeah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kindalikeyeah
jenny78 wrote:I thought so too. This design is just way too good to be in the fog, I guess? I have no idea why this isn't winning. It's by a popular artist, and it's an awesome design. Oh well. I haven't bought a derby shirt in a few months, might as well keep the trend going.


If you saw what was in the fog would you really want to be a part of it?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
kindalikeyeah wrote:If you saw what was in the fog would you really want to be a part of it?


Woot needs to make cojones.woot.com, for all the users who don't have the orbs to post criticism on their own names. Call me crazy, but i find it hard to believe someone new to woot would make an account on a site simply to immediately troll the design boards, especially without having found anything to purchase.

jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
AdderXYU wrote:Woot needs to make cojones.woot.com, for all the users who don't have the orbs to post criticism on their own names. Call me crazy, but i find it hard to believe someone new to woot would make an account on a site simply to immediately troll the design boards, especially without having found anything to purchase.


That's funny. I sometimes think that too, but seriously, who would have time for that? Any why would someone be afraid to post criticism? What's to be afraid of? It's just a tshirt website. *giggles*.

kpetrasko


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpetrasko
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


I really want one of these shirts. I mean come on, there's eye shadow on an eye socket, brilliant

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jenny78 wrote:That's funny. I sometimes think that too, but seriously, who would have time for that? Any why would someone be afraid to post criticism? What's to be afraid of? It's just a tshirt website. *giggles*.

What are they afraid of? Me! Shirt.woot's friendly little Attack Spryte. ^_~

Not to be confused with our Attack Adder. ^_~ ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
superspryte wrote:What are they afraid of? Me! Shirt.woot's friendly little Attack Spryte. ^_~

Not to be confused with our Attack Adder. ^_~ ^_~


That's endearing, really. Attack Adder.

I'd say more often than that, tho, they're scared of the backlash. The wooters vote and don't vote based on a lot of things, but the rarest of the bunch is "quality of shirt". If you, lets say, had a negative opinion you really wanted to put out there, you might lose votes on your own work as a result. sure, lots of the fake names exist out of one psychotic obsessed twitmouse who has a bizarre spryte hatred, but many others surely exist to give people an outlet to make comments without having it effect their own performance or general reputation. It's pathetic, yes, but I'm pretty sure it's true

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:That's endearing, really. Attack Adder.

I'd say more often than that, tho, they're scared of the backlash. The wooters vote and don't vote based on a lot of things, but the rarest of the bunch is "quality of shirt". If you, lets say, had a negative opinion you really wanted to put out there, you might lose votes on your own work as a result. sure, lots of the fake names exist out of one psychotic obsessed twitmouse who has a bizarre spryte hatred, but many others surely exist to give people an outlet to make comments without having it effect their own performance or general reputation. It's pathetic, yes, but I'm pretty sure it's true

This made me laugh. Good job.

PS - Just in case anyone's unsure, I was joking. I highly doubt anyone's afraid of me. ^_^;

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


Pepper and Adder might appreciate this Warhol link given their strong dislike for Warhol's contributions to the world of art. Seems a lot of folks didn't like this one!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
klswoot wrote:Pepper and Adder might appreciate this Warhol link given their strong dislike for Warhol's contributions to the world of art. Seems a lot of folks didn't like this one!


Don't forget, Warhol had a lot of help:

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Josephus wrote:Don't forget, Warhol had a lot of help:


This collaboration of yours is brilliant!

iridescent


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iridescent
Re: Warhol just turned in his grave -1987


I want to buy a few of these shirts. Make them and sell them to me.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail