Derby #38: The Year You Were Born
+71

1959- Che and Fidel took over cuba

1959- Che and Fidel took over cuba
add a comment

Comments

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: 1959- Che and Fidel took over cuba

Both of the originals for these images are public domain, unlike the usual image of Che Guevara that we see. I knew Che was a revolutionary, but had no idea that he was a major reason that Castro 's rebels won their revolution. Afterward, he was actually a big part of the government that they started with, only to leave within a few years, a few months before he was killed.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: 1959- Che and Fidel took over cuba


Again, celeb imagery? Castro is, at the moment at least, still alive, so if the "being dead" thing is what saves it, this isn't saved. Give us some concrete rules as to what gets that specific ax.

dr0seth0l


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dr0seth0l
Re: 1959- Che and Fidel took over cuba


I'd like to see this win one of the places.

peppersagooddog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
peppersagooddog wrote:why isnt this rejected yet?


why should it be?

In 1959 we were allies with Cuba, with Castro. This is a depiction of the year, not any later political differences that developed. and, unlike most of the depictions of people who still live, this image of Fidel Castro was drawn from a public domain photo. Castro himself wrote the laws in Cuba (!), which make any photo there Public Domain 25 years after its first use. These photos both qualify. Furthermore, the images used depict the takeover itself, and don't just show the person out of context.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:why should it be?

In 1959 we were allies with Cuba, with Castro. This is a depiction of the year, not any later political differences that developed. and, unlike most of the depictions of people who still live, this image of Fidel Castro was drawn from a public domain photo. Castro himself wrote the laws in Cuba (!), which make any photo there Public Domain 25 years after its first use. These photos both qualify. Furthermore, the images used depict the takeover itself, and don't just show the person out of context.

I think she's referring to the celebrity likenesses.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

digitalral


quality posts: 0 Private Messages digitalral
Re: 1959- Che and Fidel took over cuba


HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE

infallible


quality posts: 7 Private Messages infallible

Wow, a shirt depicting two cold-blooded mass murderers. How nice it would be to show our support not only for a system that necessitates subjugation and inequity, but also celebrates the two vicious tyrants that set up that system in Cuba.

19 www.Woots / 1 tech.Woot / 1 wine.Woots / 13 shirt.Woots / 6 sellout.Woots

lostmimic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lostmimic

Who ever made this shirt has no idea of the pain and suffering caused by these two men (and the fact that Castro had Che killed :P). Every time I see some kid wearing a Che shirt, who obviously doesn't know what it stands for my blood pressure shoots up. Im not tattling on the shirt, its free speech but Ill let you know how I and millions of others really feel about it.

whoawen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages whoawen
lostmimic wrote:Who ever made this shirt has no idea of the pain and suffering caused by these two men (and the fact that Castro had Che killed :P). Every time I see some kid wearing a Che shirt, who obviously doesn't know what it stands for my blood pressure shoots up. Im not tattling on the shirt, its free speech but Ill let you know how I and millions of others really feel about it.


Assuming some honesty, Josephus was born in 1959 and is probably not some kid who obviously doesn't know what it stands for.

infallible


quality posts: 7 Private Messages infallible
whoawen wrote:Assuming some honesty, Josephus was born in 1959 and is probably not some kid who obviously doesn't know what it stands for.


That only makes it all the worse. A naive kid can be educated, but if someone actually believes in the ideals of these two thugs, then they're already lost.

19 www.Woots / 1 tech.Woot / 1 wine.Woots / 13 shirt.Woots / 6 sellout.Woots

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail