Derby #39: Motion
+728

The First Cow Tipper

The First Cow Tipper
add a comment

Comments

jbedwar1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
Re: The First Cow Tipper


Hilarious... was wondering when the cho shirts were going to come in and completely pass me by

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Re: The First Cow Tipper

Nice.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

peppersabaddog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog

peppersabaddog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog
Re: The First Cow Tipper




funny how L O L
becomes llo.
thanks for making me look retardedd woot (-d)
hehe

blahmcblah


quality posts: 5 Private Messages blahmcblah
Re: The First Cow Tipper


Very funny! This one is rising fast... I think woot voters just like vectorized arrows.


gcstoffel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcstoffel
Re: The First Cow Tipper


This may be just a huge unbelievable coincidence but there was a shirt submitted into threadless two days ago with almost the exact same concept.

You all make the call but it smells fishy to me.

Discobiscuits


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits

Considering Cho's reputation, I feel his work is original, but I see your point.

mvw99


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvw99
Re: The First Cow Tipper


I had voted for that shirt on threadless. Can hardly believe the coincidence?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Discobiscuits wrote:Considering Cho's reputation, I feel his work is original, but I see your point.


I agree. I don't think it's Cho's fault, but it really is quite close.

To be fair, Cho's shirt is much more accurate, according to the accepted scientific timeline. ;)

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

gcstoffel wrote:This may be just a huge unbelievable coincidence but there was a shirt submitted into threadless two days ago with almost the exact same concept.

You all make the call but it smells fishy to me.

It's highly unlikely that someone with such a reputation as Cho would tarnish it by copying something. An unfortunate coincidence though. -_-

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

daedalusknight


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
eHalcyon wrote:I agree. I don't think it's Cho's fault, but it really is quite close.

To be fair, Cho's shirt is much more accurate, according to the accepted scientific timeline. ;)



heheh... yeah... there were no dinosaurs back in the days of prehistoric man, no matter what the Flinstones tell you. :-)

Explodinggreenllama


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Explodinggreenllama
Re: The First Cow Tipper


*giggles* I <3 Wolly Mammoths
Great job Cho

"I'm Snug the joiner, and I'm a man."
-Daniel Parvis, Midsummer Nights Dream

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: The First Cow Tipper

Great idea. I think having "The First Cow Tipper" on the shirt would make it even better. Why does woot almost always ban text?
-Andy



jbedwar1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
Andy47240 wrote:Great idea. I think having "The First Cow Tipper" on the shirt would make it even better. Why does woot almost always ban text?
-Andy


because it allows for more creativity to try to get points across.

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
Andy47240 wrote:Great idea. I think having "The First Cow Tipper" on the shirt would make it even better. Why does woot almost always ban text?
-Andy



Why? Because otherwise we would be getting all text shirts that really suck, that's why.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
jbedwar1 wrote:because it allows for more creativity to try to get points across.

I do think text is fine when it is used in moderation. I know if they did not ban it there would be all text shirts, but it does help sometimes. But, that's just my opinion.
-Andy



daedalusknight


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
snarkygal wrote:Why? Because otherwise we would be getting all text shirts that really suck, that's why.


Given the quality of a lot of the shirts in the text derby, I have to say I completely agree.

daedalusknight


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
jbedwar1 wrote:because it allows for more creativity to try to get points across.



I think it really does force us to be more visually expressive. It's often a bit of a cop out just to label something as what you want it to be seen as. To have to convey it in images is a challenge that I welcome... makes me use the ol' noggin a bit more. :-)

jbedwar1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
Andy47240 wrote:I do think text is fine when it is used in moderation. I know if they did not ban it there would be all text shirts, but it does help sometimes. But, that's just my opinion.
-Andy


i can certainly agree with that.

bmckay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmckay

I find it funny that someone's second post would be to call someone out.

Seiselfreshnic87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Seiselfreshnic87

sorry, but not as good as your last one.
the duck hunt shirt was pure genius.

SamoaJoe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJoe
Re: The First Cow Tipper


Coincidence or not, it's eerily similar to a shirt design on another site. That would be grounds for rejection for anyone else. It wouldn't even be a debate.

Regardless of Cho's reputation, regardless of whether or not this is a coincidence, based on precedent set in previous Derbies, this also has to have the guillotine dropped down on it.

If it doesn't get rejected then it CLEARLY shows a Woot bias towards the work of Cho.

VOTE FOR DEREK !!!

Nightmare on Wall Street

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SamoaJoe wrote:Coincidence or not, it's eerily similar to a shirt design on another site. That would be grounds for rejection for anyone else. It wouldn't even be a debate.

Regardless of Cho's reputation, regardless of whether or not this is a coincidence, based on precedent set in previous Derbies, this also has to have the guillotine dropped down on it.

If it doesn't get rejected then it CLEARLY shows a Woot bias towards the work of Cho.

Except that it would give you what you want. I've noticed woot ignores entries when people *demand* they be rejected, or else.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

jbedwar1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbedwar1
Seiselfreshnic87 wrote:sorry, but not as good as your last one.
the duck hunt shirt was pure genius.


It's making a quick run to the top though. Minutes away from breaking into the fog i think.

SamoaJoe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJoe
superspryte wrote:Except that it would give you what you want. I've noticed woot ignores entries when people *demand* they be rejected, or else.


I didn't "demand" anything, I'm simply stating an observation.

People have said for a long time now that this site, and many of its most hardcore supporters, have a bias towards Cho. I firmly believe that if this similarity had come up for anyone else it would be immediate grounds for a rejection, but for Cho people are chalking it up as "just a coincidence" and "because it's Cho we'll let it slide".

Want further proof of the bias? Where's Adder and his voting elites who search out designs in the Derby that have this exact type of similarity. They're eerily silent about this comparison.

What's the purpose of Woot having rules or rejection policies if they're only going to enforce them on certain contestants?

VOTE FOR DEREK !!!

Nightmare on Wall Street

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SamoaJoe wrote:I didn't "demand" anything, I'm simply stating an observation.

People have said for a long time now that this site, and many of its most hardcore supporters, have a bias towards Cho. I firmly believe that if this similarity had come up for anyone else it would be immediate grounds for a rejection, but for Cho people are chalking it up as "just a coincidence" and "because it's Cho we'll let it slide".

Want further proof of the bias? Where's Adder and his voting elites who search out designs in the Derby that have this exact type of similarity. They're eerily silent about this comparison.

What's the purpose of Woot having rules or rejection policies if they're only going to inforce them on certain contestants?

Adder might be asleep now.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
Re: The First Cow Tipper


Does Cho design for any other sites? I haven't noticed anything by him at DBH. Is there anywhere else he submits his stuff to? Or does he have his own site?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
SamoaJoe wrote:Coincidence or not, it's eerily similar to a shirt design on another site. That would be grounds for rejection for anyone else. It wouldn't even be a debate.

Regardless of Cho's reputation, regardless of whether or not this is a coincidence, based on precedent set in previous Derbies, this also has to have the guillotine dropped down on it.

If it doesn't get rejected then it CLEARLY shows a Woot bias towards the work of Cho.


Reputation counts for a lot, though. Cho's rep states that he's creative enough and talented enough to have this unlikely as a rip. Woot will decide what they decide, but there is no need to crucify him for it.

Other wooters, who should be obvious, have carp reputations. Yours, for instance, is based solely on being a nincompoop

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
jenny78 wrote:Does Cho design for any other sites? I haven't noticed anything by him at DBH. Is there anywhere else he submits his stuff to? Or does he have his own site?


Cho has entered a couple of times at DBH. You can find his entries here.

pstan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan
Re: The First Cow Tipper


The physics of this shirt boggle my mind.

You can't tip a cow, let alone a woolly mammoth!

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

pstan wrote:The physics of this shirt boggle my mind.

You can't tip a cow, let alone a woolly mammoth!

I've actually watched my friends tip a cow (I chickened out). It is possible.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

haxrox


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
pstan wrote:
You can't tip a cow, let alone a woolly mammoth!


Can and have tipped a woolly mammoth, my friend. Based on Cho's spot-on rendition, it looks like he's had a go as well.

daedalusknight


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
superspryte wrote:I've actually watched my friends tip a cow (I chickened out). It is possible.


I tip 20%. More for great service.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night. Try the pasta. :-)

pstan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan
superspryte wrote:I've actually watched my friends tip a cow (I chickened out). It is possible.


Bunk I say!

It can happen but most people are claimers. My friend has a 500 cow dairy farm and says he can't even tip his own cows...

dasmonkeyboy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasmonkeyboy
Re: The First Cow Tipper

This is like the coolest shirt ever...

Webfoot08


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
Re: The First Cow Tipper


You make the funniest shirts.

Wish they'd fix my account so I can vote. *grumble grumble* (Yes I know, you have to buy one. I've bought five.)

Zeusandhera


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Zeusandhera
blahmcblah wrote:Very funny! This one is rising fast... I think woot voters just like vectorized arrows.


I gotta admit, I do love vectorized arrows for some reason.

Jemmacakes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jemmacakes
snarkygal wrote:Why? Because otherwise we would be getting all text shirts that really suck, that's why.


As opposed to?....

ianthemighty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianthemighty
pstan wrote:Bunk I say!

My friend has a 500 cow dairy farm and says he can't even tip his own cows...


Sir, your friend is a real black eye for the dairy farming profession.

sokowa


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
AdderXYU wrote:Reputation counts for a lot, though. Cho's rep states that he's creative enough and talented enough to have this unlikely as a rip. Woot will decide what they decide, but there is no need to crucify him for it.


Ugh, throwing in reputation as a "bar" for talent makes things a tad muddy. I've had a shirt rejected in the past for looking too similar to another shirt. I'd like to think that it got rejected for looking too similar to a shirt, not that my reputation wasn't high enough for some reason.

daedalusknight


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
sokowa wrote:Ugh, throwing in reputation as a "bar" for talent makes things a tad muddy. I've had a shirt rejected in the past for looking too similar to another shirt. I'd like to think that it got rejected for looking too similar to a shirt, not that my reputation wasn't high enough for some reason.


I think the critical point here is that the design does NOT look similar to another shirt. It has a similar concept (tipping something from the past), but the design elements are different(dinosaur vs. mammoth) and the execution is different. That, more than reputation, is why I think this shirt will be safe.

Not that Woot will be required to listen to my opinion.

His reputation as a designer, though, is what makes me think he didn't deliberately copy another person's concept. Just random idea convergence.


geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
sokowa wrote:Ugh, throwing in reputation as a "bar" for talent makes things a tad muddy. I've had a shirt rejected in the past for looking too similar to another shirt. I'd like to think that it got rejected for looking too similar to a shirt, not that my reputation wasn't high enough for some reason.


These are not equivalent situations. Your shirt got rejected for looking too similar to a shirt Woot previously printed, not for plagiarism- they just don't want their site to print things they view as similar (which is probably also the reason all Portal references are banned).

On the other hand, the mammoth shirt uses a similar basis (cow-tipping) and setting (prehistoric times) to a shirt design submitted (not printed) on another site. Woot's previous derby rejections have allowed things much more similar than this in the past, including Arrrgyle (similar in... every way except specific execution to a printed shirt at Uneetee) and Fivebucks (similar in every way except dollar amount to a shirt at Zazzle).

Obviously Woot takes a much harder line if they think work is similar to their own previous prints, but it's pretty wide open otherwise (whether for good or for ill). Given Cho's derby history of submitting a lot of dinosaurs and prehistoric stuff, I'm not really surprised he went in this direction.

tabrazinski


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski
SamoaJoe wrote:Coincidence or not, it's eerily similar to a shirt design on another site. That would be grounds for rejection for anyone else. It wouldn't even be a debate.

Regardless of Cho's reputation, regardless of whether or not this is a coincidence, based on precedent set in previous Derbies, this also has to have the guillotine dropped down on it.

If it doesn't get rejected then it CLEARLY shows a Woot bias towards the work of Cho.



people are arguing whether this should be rejected for plagarism or not... do people not remember the double whammy of the two ravens winning the derby? now, i'm no expert, but i would have to say that those two shirts were more identical in idea, style, and execution than this shirk and the dino shirt. i would not call them eerily similar. i'm also fairly certain that neither cho nor the other designer were the first in the world to think up the idea that cave men pushed over some sort of slow witted large animal. rabble rabble.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

pstan wrote:Bunk I say!

It can happen but most people are claimers. My friend has a 500 cow dairy farm and says he can't even tip his own cows...

It took 4 people. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
Re: The First Cow Tipper


I bet that Cho laughs all the way to the bank about people having such heated debates EVERY week about his designs. He draws well, just like many other people. He uses this talent to draw animals on tshirts, and possibly make money. oooooooo Scandalous.

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
Andy47240 wrote:I do think text is fine when it is used in moderation. I know if they did not ban it there would be all text shirts, but it does help sometimes. But, that's just my opinion.
-Andy


tell me about it..squiggles on a can, do not equate to "diet cola"


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

sokowa


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
daedalusknight wrote:I think the critical point here is that the design does NOT look similar to another shirt. It has a similar concept (tipping something from the past), but the design elements are different(dinosaur vs. mammoth) and the execution is different. That, more than reputation, is why I think this shirt will be safe.


Now this a completely agree with. The shirts are different, and that's why it'll stay, not because of any reputation.

KenSPT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenSPT
Re: The First Cow Tipper



I don't want to come across as a "Cho Hater", but I just don't think this is as good as the votes indicate. It's better than anything I can do, that's for sure, but it's not as strong as his past work and the work of others in this Derby.

I think there are much better shirts than this one. I think, of the currently fogged entries, TGentry's is much more original and well done. I think the Pop and Lock is the most clever shirt this site has seen in a long time, and I really dig the Rocket Rodeo and Hellicopter Seed.

I see nothing that amazing about this shirt, and as such, I will make the statement that everyone seems to think is bunk; I believe the votes are because this is Cho, not because of the strength of the design.

I say that, not as a "Cho Hater", but rather because of it's rocketing up to the fog.

If this had a slow build over the course of a few days and then got fogged, I'd be fine with it, but the fact that this was posted at 5pm yesterday and was fogged in a mere 6 hours makes me call shenanigans. I don't think the same response would have occurred had anyone else posted this shirt.

Say what you will, that's my opinion.

The design is not THAT good to warrant such a strong fan response. Some of Cho's designs have been ( Cat Fu, Duck Hunt ), this one simply isn't.

Patchitect


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
sokowa wrote:Now this a completely agree with. The shirts are different, and that's why it'll stay, not because of any reputation.


even so, im a little disappointed. Ive come to expect more originality from a Cho shirt, as well as better execution, and quite frankly, the use of arrows is a cop out. this is mundane at best, and coming from cho, its a bit like a slap in the face. but i suppose a half assed cho shirt still beats out everything else.

sokowa


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sokowa
Patchitect wrote:even so, im a little disappointed. Ive come to expect more originality from a Cho shirt, as well as better execution, and quite frankly, the use of arrows is a cop out. this is mundane at best, and coming from cho, its a bit like a slap in the face. but i suppose a half assed cho shirt still beats out everything else.


Actually, I like this one more than most of his work. Execution on all the shirts is of very high quality, it's just that . . most of the designs he makes overwhelm the tshirt. This might be my favorite cause there's more tshirt "white space" so to speak.

pstan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pstan
superspryte wrote:It took 4 people. ^_^


You win. I will give it up.

SamoaJane


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJane
SamoaJoe wrote:I didn't "demand" anything, I'm simply stating an observation.

People have said for a long time now that this site, and many of its most hardcore supporters, have a bias towards Cho. I firmly believe that if this similarity had come up for anyone else it would be immediate grounds for a rejection, but for Cho people are chalking it up as "just a coincidence" and "because it's Cho we'll let it slide".

Want further proof of the bias? Where's Adder and his voting elites who search out designs in the Derby that have this exact type of similarity. They're eerily silent about this comparison.

What's the purpose of Woot having rules or rejection policies if they're only going to enforce them on certain contestants?


Are you still going after Cho?!? I just don't get it. And who are you to ask where other people are. Where are YOU? Out spending our rent money on internet cafes so you can post this nonsense!!!! Instead, you need to come home and mow the yard! And maybe spend some time with your children.

andrewg2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
Patchitect wrote:even so, im a little disappointed. Ive come to expect more originality from a Cho shirt, as well as better execution, and quite frankly, the use of arrows is a cop out. this is mundane at best, and coming from cho, its a bit like a slap in the face. but i suppose a half assed cho shirt still beats out everything else.


I voted for this shirt because I'd wear it. I see amazing art work on the Derby, but for some reason or the other, I wouldn't wear it (I'm not a big gamer, I don't really wear pink, it's a little too cutesy, etc...). Lets remember it's on a t-shirt and people buy it to wear it. Sometimes a simple design with "cop out" elements makes a good t-shirt, and thats all that matters. Look at "Let me get this straight". I understand some people are here for great art, but I'm just here for a t-shirt.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: The First Cow Tipper


Lots of comments about how this is getting votes because of Cho, but until now, I just assumed that it was getting votes because it was about prehistoric cowtipping.

Caligumby


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caligumby

I NEVER look at the author before voting on a shirt. It seems ridiculous that someone would, however, are people not allowed to admire a certain artists work and vote because of that? I think people can vote for whatever reason they see fit. It is almost moronic to question why someone votes the way they do. It is their personal right to vote for whatever and/or whomever they choose for whatever reason they see fit.

So what, it's a Cho shirt and he tends to get the most recognition... Who cares... The only ones who tend to complain are the sore looser artists who have issues beating him. If it's that big of a deal, go submit your shirts somewhere else and complain why "Steve" is getting all the votes and not you because he is well respected...

On the flip side, I like this shirt. It is not about the art, but the humor one gets from the art. When you see it, you just laugh and think about your childhood... Mr. Flipfromflippington could have designed this shirt and I still would have voted for it and when it wins, I will buy it.

hmmxkrazee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee
KenSPT wrote:I don't want to come across as a "Cho Hater", but I just don't think this is as good as the votes indicate. It's better than anything I can do, that's for sure, but it's not as strong as his past work and the work of others in this Derby.

I think there are much better shirts than this one. I think, of the currently fogged entries, TGentry's is much more original and well done. I think the Pop and Lock is the most clever shirt this site has seen in a long time, and I really dig the Rocket Rodeo and Hellicopter Seed.

I see nothing that amazing about this shirt, and as such, I will make the statement that everyone seems to think is bunk; I believe the votes are because this is Cho, not because of the strength of the design.

I say that, not as a "Cho Hater", but rather because of it's rocketing up to the fog.

If this had a slow build over the course of a few days and then got fogged, I'd be fine with it, but the fact that this was posted at 5pm yesterday and was fogged in a mere 6 hours makes me call shenanigans. I don't think the same response would have occurred had anyone else posted this shirt.

Say what you will, that's my opinion.

The design is not THAT good to warrant such a strong fan response. Some of Cho's designs have been ( Cat Fu, Duck Hunt ), this one simply isn't.


I actually prefer this to most of his other designs. This is more vectorized, clean and looks great on the shirt with great colors. Alot of his other designs were on colors I don't like. His more lineart focused ones never really attracted me although they were well done. I have yet to buy a Cho shirt but this one definitely be my first if (and when) it wins.

daedalusknight


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
sokowa wrote:Now this a completely agree with. The shirts are different, and that's why it'll stay, not because of any reputation.


Indeed. I could get out my art book Venn diagrams if people want, comparing similaries and all that, but I don't think that'll be necessary. This shirt counts as "different enough."

daedalusknight


quality posts: 1 Private Messages daedalusknight
KenSPT wrote: I don't think the same response would have occurred had anyone else posted this shirt.


Though name recognition might be part of it, I think that a good deal of votes might be coming from the fact that people tried to criticise it or get it removed from the derby in a way that seemed unfair. Like I said last week, the more controversy there is about a design, the more sympathy votes it tends to get. The fact that there's a huge amount of discussion about the shirt also makes it more visible in the discussion thread, so more people see the shirt and vote for it.
Name recognition can't be completely ruled out, but there are a lot of other factors to consider too.

And, of course, everyone likes to go out and tip a mammoth now and then. :-)

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
KenSPT wrote:I don't want to come across as a "Cho Hater", but I just don't think this is as good as the votes indicate. It's better than anything I can do, that's for sure, but it's not as strong as his past work and the work of others in this Derby.

I think there are much better shirts than this one. I think, of the currently fogged entries, TGentry's is much more original and well done. I think the Pop and Lock is the most clever shirt this site has seen in a long time, and I really dig the Rocket Rodeo and Hellicopter Seed.

I see nothing that amazing about this shirt, and as such, I will make the statement that everyone seems to think is bunk; I believe the votes are because this is Cho, not because of the strength of the design.

I say that, not as a "Cho Hater", but rather because of it's rocketing up to the fog.

If this had a slow build over the course of a few days and then got fogged, I'd be fine with it, but the fact that this was posted at 5pm yesterday and was fogged in a mere 6 hours makes me call shenanigans. I don't think the same response would have occurred had anyone else posted this shirt.

Say what you will, that's my opinion.

The design is not THAT good to warrant such a strong fan response. Some of Cho's designs have been ( Cat Fu, Duck Hunt ), this one simply isn't.



blah blah blah you say the same stuff every week. You ARE a Cho hater and there is no getting around it. At midnight every night, there is a HUGE amount of people visiting Woot. That is when the vote totals go up by a great deal. Cho, nor any other designer, has this vast voting block you think he has.

Deal with it

recchiap


quality posts: 0 Private Messages recchiap
Re: The First Cow Tipper


Is it just me, or do you guys think you would have to explain this shirt to people when they see it. Does it work that well without a title?

tabrazinski


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski
SamoaJane wrote:Are you still going after Cho?!? I just don't get it. And who are you to ask where other people are. Where are YOU? Out spending our rent money on internet cafes so you can post this nonsense!!!! Instead, you need to come home and mow the yard! And maybe spend some time with your children.


this is hilarious.

cenerslaveshop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cenerslaveshop
snarkygal wrote:blah blah blah you say the same stuff every week. You ARE a Cho hater and there is no getting around it. At midnight every night, there is a HUGE amount of people visiting Woot. That is when the vote totals go up by a great deal. Cho, nor any other designer, has this vast voting block you think he has.

Deal with it


I think some people might vote on the basis of the designer, I would think most (just my humble opinion, of course) vote on basis of design. They could make the submissions anonymous to cool the "Cho haters" out there, but some artists/designers have a certain style, so it may not be feasible. Maybe there would be less bitching about "who stole what, or this designer gets more votes". Just a thought, though.

Amoxaphobic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amoxaphobic
peppersabaddog wrote:funny how L O L
becomes llo.
thanks for making me look retardedd woot (-d)
hehe


I think you could have edited the post right?

Nice shirt though. llo (I got it right... proof reading is awesome).

Amoxaphobic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amoxaphobic
Amoxaphobic wrote:I think you could have edited the post right?

Nice shirt though. llo (I got it right... proof reading is awesome).


Well, I stand corrected. Laughing out loud. There... I'll just type it out.

gvw47


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gvw47
AdderXYU wrote:Reputation counts for a lot, though. Cho's rep states that he's creative enough and talented enough to have this unlikely as a rip. Woot will decide what they decide, but there is no need to crucify him for it.

Other wooters, who should be obvious, have carp reputations. Yours, for instance, is based solely on being a nincompoop


Let's get real!!! It is totally believable that in a contest involving "motion" there would be two clever submissions on Newton's cradle. The likelihood that two people would come up with the idea of tipping prehistoric creatures at the same time, however, is not reasonably believable.

This business about Cho's reputation puzzles me. It is true that he has done some very good art work (and some not so good work--think penguins, for example), but that proves nothing about his integrity. If he swiped someone else's idea, then he needs to be called on it.

It is absolutely amazing to me that his work goes to the top so quickly--no matter what quality it is. (A picture that has to use two arrows to tell you that motion is going on is not quality. And when could you resubmit a losing shirt. I like the water--not motion--shirt, but will I like it as much the twentieth time he resubmits it, under line and blue and fish themes?) Does he have a huge family or something? Lots of school chums? Mind-numbed robots? I have figured out how he stays in the hotness, I think. Just "take it back" and vote for it again and again. That is why Derby Stats always thinks Cho has more votes than he really has.

If Shirt.Woot becomes the "Cho.Show" this will all become very boring. I have an idea. Let's have two derbies--the Shirt.Woot and the Cho.Show, where only Cho can enter thirty or forty times (but he cannot enter in the Shirt.Woot). Cut the prizes in half, back to $500 for first, second, and third. In the Cho.Show, Cho can win all three prizes--but he can win a prize only if a certain number of people sign up to actually put money down to buy the shirt. And the rest of the world, including a number of better artists, can compete in the Shirt.Woot and make it interesting again.

peppersabaddog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog
gvw47 wrote:Let's get real!!! It is totally believable that in a contest involving "motion" there would be two clever submissions on Newton's cradle. The likelihood that two people would come up with the idea of tipping prehistoric creatures at the same time, however, is not reasonably believable.

This business about Cho's reputation puzzles me. It is true that he has done some very good art work (and some not so good work--think penguins, for example), but that proves nothing about his integrity. If he swiped someone else's idea, then he needs to be called on it.

It is absolutely amazing to me that his work goes to the top so quickly--no matter what quality it is. (A picture that has to use two arrows to tell you that motion is going on is not quality. And when could you resubmit a losing shirt. I like the water--not motion--shirt, but will I like it as much the twentieth time he resubmits it, under line and blue and fish themes?) Does he have a huge family or something? Lots of school chums? Mind-numbed robots? I have figured out how he stays in the hotness, I think. Just "take it back" and vote for it again and again. That is why Derby Stats always thinks Cho has more votes than he really has.

If Shirt.Woot becomes the "Cho.Show" this will all become very boring. I have an idea. Let's have two derbies--the Shirt.Woot and the Cho.Show, where only Cho can enter thirty or forty times (but he cannot enter in the Shirt.Woot). Cut the prizes in half, back to $500 for first, second, and third. In the Cho.Show, Cho can win all three prizes--but he can win a prize only if a certain number of people sign up to actually put money down to buy the shirt. And the rest of the world, including a number of better artists, can compete in the Shirt.Woot and make it interesting again.





derek is that you?

gvw47


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gvw47
AdderXYU wrote:I am extremely real, and you are extremely jaded for such a young wooter.

What logic is there that cho, who so often does good work and so often wins with it, to swipe a design? None. If there was a bigger pattern, it would be something to question, but it isn't. That's what reputation means. Much as you're now going to be tagged as a bitter cho-hater (among other more appropriate and more probationatory things). Reputation counts for a lot in making calls about swiping a design... unless a pattern develops or it's blatant copying, the only person who wouldn't give cho the benefit of the doubt is someone who has a vendetta against him as a person or artist.

Personally, there is so much idiotic bitterness for the guy that I'd like nothing more for him to sweep this week. Or every week. Anyone can beat cho any week. They just need to bring an idea that will capture woot more than his will. All your castigating pelicans does is make you look like an arse. Which is fair, because you probably are.


Are you Cho's mom?

SamoaJoe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJoe
AdderXYU wrote:I am extremely real, and you are extremely jaded for such a young wooter.

What logic is there that cho, who so often does good work and so often wins with it, to swipe a design? None. If there was a bigger pattern, it would be something to question, but it isn't. That's what reputation means. Much as you're now going to be tagged as a bitter cho-hater (among other more appropriate and more probationatory things). Reputation counts for a lot in making calls about swiping a design... unless a pattern develops or it's blatant copying, the only person who wouldn't give cho the benefit of the doubt is someone who has a vendetta against him as a person or artist.

Personally, there is so much idiotic bitterness for the guy that I'd like nothing more for him to sweep this week. Or every week. Anyone can beat cho any week. They just need to bring an idea that will capture woot more than his will. All your castigating pelicans does is make you look like an arse. Which is fair, because you probably are.


Calling him an "arse" was not necessary. You've been reported, here's to hoping you're on probation again soon.

VOTE FOR DEREK !!!

Nightmare on Wall Street

SamoaJane


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SamoaJane
SamoaJoe wrote:Calling him an "arse" was not necessary. You've been reported, here's to hoping you're on probation again soon.


Joe, instead wishing bad things on people, I need your help today. We need to get the kids winter clothes stored in the landlord's attic, so we there's room to walk in the apartment again. And you promised you'd help Little Joe with his scout project. So say good by to your friends and come home.

PeterHellmuth


quality posts: 1 Private Messages PeterHellmuth
Re: The First Cow Tipper


This shirt isn't clear enough without the title "The First Cow Tipper". It's a funny idea, but not very well executed.

jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
Re: The First Cow Tipper


I like this design.

skiboyjake


quality posts: 0 Private Messages skiboyjake

late entry on my part, but please vote!

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=13601 vote vote vote for my shirt shirt shirt

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
jenny78 wrote:I like this design.


so jenny likes all of the top five and voted for them all and was pretty much useless except to make the rich richer... way to go; hope you don't want to buy the 4th or 5th design more than you want the top three, because you didn't help them at all.

sorry for being a curmudgeon this week, guess my slow computer at home has me worn kinda thin. Might have to take a break this evening. llo

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

bigbadblackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigbadblackman
Re: The First Cow Tipper


WOOHOO!!!! 1825CST my vote just put this shirt back into the fog. good work cho

shirt.woot suppling my wardrobe since 2008

lunartan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan

what happened to THECHOBOMB account? or was that just a one time thing?

socalicitizen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages socalicitizen
Re: The First Cow Tipper


o m g!! l o l!!!

jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
sailstud25 wrote:so jenny likes all of the top five and voted for them all and was pretty much useless except to make the rich richer... way to go; hope you don't want to buy the 4th or 5th design more than you want the top three, because you didn't help them at all.

sorry for being a curmudgeon this week, guess my slow computer at home has me worn kinda thin. Might have to take a break this evening. llo



Actually, I'd like to be able to buy either of tgentry's designs, but it looks like cho has the market cornered this week, and I think it's pretty cool. I hope he gets 1st, 2nd, and third this week. Has that ever happened before? The same person winning all three places in the same derby?

jenny78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenny78
sailstud25 wrote:so jenny likes all of the top five and voted for them all and was pretty much useless except to make the rich richer... way to go; hope you don't want to buy the 4th or 5th design more than you want the top three, because you didn't help them at all.

sorry for being a curmudgeon this week, guess my slow computer at home has me worn kinda thin. Might have to take a break this evening. llo


Also, I didn't vote for this. I wouldn't wear it, therefore I wouldn't buy it. However, that doesn't mean I can't like it. The only shirt in the fog that I've voted for is the tree one. I guess your post was pretty useless, huh?

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
jenny78 wrote:Actually, I'd like to be able to buy either of tgentry's designs, but it looks like cho has the market cornered this week, and I think it's pretty cool. I hope he gets 1st, 2nd, and third this week. Has that ever happened before? The same person winning all three places in the same derby?


Are my eyes deceiving me? Jenny actually likes something???? Usually all I read are negative comments from Jenny, so this is a very pleasant surprise. YAY Jenny!!!!!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: The First Cow Tipper


Can someone fill me in on this? On the derby page, where it shows all the submissions, designer names are not listed. All you people who think that Cho designs are getting votes simply because of the designer name - how do they figure it's Cho's in the first place? Is your hypothesis that people click on each submission, looking for Cho's name? That makes no sense to me - people click onto derby entries because the design detail shows something interesting. Good artwork draws people in - not a name.

Furthermore, while many people may go to the individual shirt pages to take a look at the shirt comps and perhaps leave a comment, most voters probably wouldn't be bothered with that. They'll go to the derby page, scan through the thumbnails and vote directly on that page - who wants to wait for another page to load?

Regarding this entry in particular - I don't like this as much as Treacherous Waters, but I understand the appeal of it - cow-tipping is a funny (and cruel? XP) subject. As for clarity, I don't think a title is necessary to understand what is going on, but maybe that's just me.

Cho - I wish you luck!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eHalcyon wrote:Can someone fill me in on this? On the derby page, where it shows all the submissions, designer names are not listed. All you people who think that Cho designs are getting votes simply because of the designer name - how do they figure it's Cho's in the first place? Is your hypothesis that people click on each submission, looking for Cho's name? That makes no sense to me - people click onto derby entries because the design detail shows something interesting. Good artwork draws people in - not a name.

Furthermore, while many people may go to the individual shirt pages to take a look at the shirt comps and perhaps leave a comment, most voters probably wouldn't be bothered with that. They'll go to the derby page, scan through the thumbnails and vote directly on that page - who wants to wait for another page to load?

Regarding this entry in particular - I don't like this as much as Treacherous Waters, but I understand the appeal of it - cow-tipping is a funny (and cruel? XP) subject. As for clarity, I don't think a title is necessary to understand what is going on, but maybe that's just me.

Cho - I wish you luck!


well, gee, most of us hope that you will look at the full sized entry page before voting. and even more simple, Cho's designs stand out as his, not just because of the good quality, but because he always colors the darkest lines the same hue as the shirt color, and doesn't outline his objects, and in general they don't have much contrast, as well as being quite smooth vector lines. I can't always pick them out any more, because a few other designers have been using a similar style, but it is not difficult.

Jewdave


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewdave
eHalcyon wrote:Can someone fill me in on this? On the derby page, where it shows all the submissions, designer names are not listed. All you people who think that Cho designs are getting votes simply because of the designer name - how do they figure it's Cho's in the first place? Is your hypothesis that people click on each submission, looking for Cho's name? That makes no sense to me - people click onto derby entries because the design detail shows something interesting. Good artwork draws people in - not a name.

Furthermore, while many people may go to the individual shirt pages to take a look at the shirt comps and perhaps leave a comment, most voters probably wouldn't be bothered with that. They'll go to the derby page, scan through the thumbnails and vote directly on that page - who wants to wait for another page to load?

Regarding this entry in particular - I don't like this as much as Treacherous Waters, but I understand the appeal of it - cow-tipping is a funny (and cruel? XP) subject. As for clarity, I don't think a title is necessary to understand what is going on, but maybe that's just me.

Cho - I wish you luck!


One could also just go to Cho's page on ShirtDerbyStats and always know what shirts he has in the derby.

-------------------------------------
40 x Shirt.Woot!
10 x Woot!
12 x Crap!
1 x Kids.Woot!
1 x Sport.Woot!
1 x Wine.Woot!
-------------------------------------

recchiap


quality posts: 0 Private Messages recchiap
PeterHellmuth wrote:This shirt isn't clear enough without the title "The First Cow Tipper". It's a funny idea, but not very well executed.


I completely agree with you. I don't think people on Shirt.woot take enough time to consider the value as an actual shirt, versus just a design (my problem with Zelda last week).

Caligumby


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caligumby


Vote Cho for President of Woot!!

On second thought, Woot should have a derby next week or the week after where the designers name is not shown and if the designer says who he or she is, the shirt is rejected..

Then, after Cho wins, it will be revealed only to show people they are morons for all of their conspiracy theories.

jkozak31


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkozak31

The site just lost 20 bucks because the cowtipper wasnt selected. I know the title does make the shirt but still standing by itself it is far better humor than any other "motion" themed shirt.... GET IT STRAIGHT PEOPLE!

Caligumby


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Caligumby
jkozak31 wrote:The site just lost 20 bucks because the cowtipper wasnt selected. I know the title does make the shirt but still standing by itself it is far better humor than any other "motion" themed shirt.... GET IT STRAIGHT PEOPLE!


Lost my money too. I was gonna buy this one..

dcarhart


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dcarhart
Caligumby wrote:Lost my money too. I was gonna buy this one..


Agreed, This is the one I would have purchased.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail