Derby #39: Motion
+75

Go Dog Go

Go Dog Go
add a comment

Comments

aerodino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
Re: Go Dog Go


Start voting on this now, I have to go to bed, so I'll comment on it tomorrow.

aerodino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
Re: Go Dog Go


Vote Go Dog Go - everyone needs a smile, and a nice yellow T-shirt for balmy summer days.

As an owner of three dachshunds, I know nothing stops them from doing whatever they please, even their short little legs. They just move them 10 times faster than the big dogs.

narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: Go Dog Go


having three greyhounds, i love this!


aerodino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
narkus wrote:having three greyhounds, i love this!


Some day I plan to have a geyhound along with a dachshund. Two extremely opposite hounds! I just met a person yesterday that had two greyhounds which inspired me to do this design - the long and short of it, leg-wise.

stargrey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargrey
Re: Go Dog Go


My wife and I have 11 greyhounds and probably 20 different greyhound shirts. This is not one we would add to the collection because that picture doesn't represent greyhound motion at all. The ears are wrong, the tuck is wrong, and the legs are in walking motion and not running. Honestly, it looks like you took a photo of a greyhound walking, reduced it to a single color, and then had problems separating it from the background.

--
170+ w00ts, 6 or 7 Bags a la Crap (but who's counting), 100% attitude.
(This signature brought to you by the I-Don't-Wanna'-Have-A-Bunch-Of-Pics-In-My-Sig Society.)

stargrey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargrey
stargrey wrote:My wife and I have 11 greyhounds and probably 20 different greyhound shirts. This is not one we would add to the collection because that picture doesn't represent greyhound motion at all. The ears are wrong, the tuck is wrong, and the legs are in walking motion and not running. Honestly, it looks like you took a photo of a greyhound walking, reduced it to a single color, and then had problems separating it from the background.


Here is a link to a photo set in my flickr pool from a lure coursing event that my wife went to - it shows what a greyhound in motion is all about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26386534@N00/sets/72157603847475924/


--
170+ w00ts, 6 or 7 Bags a la Crap (but who's counting), 100% attitude.
(This signature brought to you by the I-Don't-Wanna'-Have-A-Bunch-Of-Pics-In-My-Sig Society.)

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
stargrey wrote:My wife and I have 11 greyhounds and probably 20 different greyhound shirts. This is not one we would add to the collection because that picture doesn't represent greyhound motion at all. The ears are wrong, the tuck is wrong, and the legs are in walking motion and not running. Honestly, it looks like you took a photo of a greyhound walking, reduced it to a single color, and then had problems separating it from the background.


Now you did it. You just incited 50 people to vote for this to counteract your negative remark.

Love the juxtaposition of the sizes, aerodino. I'm better my big tall Texan husband will like this too.

stargrey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargrey
mjc613 wrote:Now you did it. You just incited 50 people to vote for this to counteract your negative remark.


You're probably right - and that's why we have had some real stinkers win the derby. I'm just sick of these threads being little more than "great shirt. gmv." Are we all so sensitive that we can't take criticism? *sigh* ;)

--
170+ w00ts, 6 or 7 Bags a la Crap (but who's counting), 100% attitude.
(This signature brought to you by the I-Don't-Wanna'-Have-A-Bunch-Of-Pics-In-My-Sig Society.)

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
stargrey wrote:My wife and I have 11 greyhounds and probably 20 different greyhound shirts. This is not one we would add to the collection because that picture doesn't represent greyhound motion at all. The ears are wrong, the tuck is wrong, and the legs are in walking motion and not running. Honestly, it looks like you took a photo of a greyhound walking, reduced it to a single color, and then had problems separating it from the background.


I think the design has somewhat of a juxtaposition joke between the little Dachshund running with all his might and the Greyhound just walking to keep up...

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
stargrey wrote:You're probably right - and that's why we have had some real stinkers win the derby. I'm just sick of these threads being little more than "great shirt. gmv." Are we all so sensitive that we can't take criticism? *sigh* ;)


Critiques are fine. It's all about style. You were less than kind.

aerodino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
stargrey wrote:My wife and I have 11 greyhounds and probably 20 different greyhound shirts. This is not one we would add to the collection because that picture doesn't represent greyhound motion at all. The ears are wrong, the tuck is wrong, and the legs are in walking motion and not running. Honestly, it looks like you took a photo of a greyhound walking, reduced it to a single color, and then had problems separating it from the background.


I'm not an expert in dog motion, but the idea is suppose to be humorous, not technical. Yes, the greyhound is walking, and it is taking one step, while the dachshund is taking a flurry of steps to keep up with the greyhound's one step. And I did draw it..and...it is stylized to contrast the two dog's body shapes.

So vote like crazy. I'm not going to win, but the votes are good for my emotional well being...

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
stargrey wrote:You're probably right - and that's why we have had some real stinkers win the derby. I'm just sick of these threads being little more than "great shirt. gmv." Are we all so sensitive that we can't take criticism? *sigh* ;)


Yes. And they're all so sensitive that negative critiques WILL garner sympathy votes, even on the worst carp. Woot voters are sheep, star. You either ignore them or accept that you're fighting a losing battle. The rest of us on the battlefront would really appreciate the latter.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
AdderXYU wrote:Yes. And they're all so sensitive that negative critiques WILL garner sympathy votes, even on the worst carp. Woot voters are sheep, star...


Sheep would go along with negative critiques, Adder. The voters are more like a stampede.

Ooh! shiny! let's vote for this!
Oh, this one is being picked on! let's vote for this!
Oh, Cho! let's ALL vote for this!
Oh, Edgar! lets vote for this! -wait a minute- this is really weird- scratch heads, oh, look, that one over there is Cute! let's vote for this!
OMG, it's an 8 bit video game reference! LET'S ALL VOTE FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!


AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Josephus wrote:Sheep would go along with negative critiques, Adder. The voters are more like a stampede.

Ooh! shiny! let's vote for this!
Oh, this one is being picked on! let's vote for this!
Oh, Cho! let's ALL vote for this!
Oh, Edgar! lets vote for this! -wait a minute- this is really weird- scratch heads, oh, look, that one over there is Cute! let's vote for this!
OMG, it's an 8 bit video game reference! LET'S ALL VOTE FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!


Sheep are too placid to go with negative critiques. Though perhaps lemmings would make more sense.

and seriously, I don't understand how Edgar gets pulled into this. I've never seen him finish in the fog, and normally even when he starts in it, he finds he's plummeted out of the top 10 by derby close. No one votes for people based just on the name. If they did, there would be some place where those names hung out and begged for votes among their friends. The reason certain people have consistent placements is because they have skill and style. You can see it as their name, but the fact is, if a designer fogs every week, and every week the shirt that fogs is wearable, artful, and thoughtful, that's because the designer does good work, not because the designer has a popular name. If people seek out edgar, it is because they love his past work and know that his style is such that they'll likely enjoy the new work as well. If you love Van Gogh's work, you're more apt to buy a book of his paintings, and if you like Edgar or Cho or Gentry, you're more apt to look at their work. Because it's good, and consistently so. That's the only advantage a name has... it shows you who does the work that doesn't suck.

aerodino


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerodino
AdderXYU wrote:Sheep are too placid to go with negative critiques. Though perhaps lemmings would make more sense.

and seriously, I don't understand how Edgar gets pulled into this. I've never seen him finish in the fog, and normally even when he starts in it, he finds he's plummeted out of the top 10 by derby close. No one votes for people based just on the name. If they did, there would be some place where those names hung out and begged for votes among their friends. The reason certain people have consistent placements is because they have skill and style. You can see it as their name, but the fact is, if a designer fogs every week, and every week the shirt that fogs is wearable, artful, and thoughtful, that's because the designer does good work, not because the designer has a popular name. If people seek out edgar, it is because they love his past work and know that his style is such that they'll likely enjoy the new work as well. If you love Van Gogh's work, you're more apt to buy a book of his paintings, and if you like Edgar or Cho or Gentry, you're more apt to look at their work. Because it's good, and consistently so. That's the only advantage a name has... it shows you who does the work that doesn't suck.


This is all very humorous to me. I started doing Woot T-shirts about a month ago on a whim, mostly to force myself to learn how to use layering and figure out all the options of Photoshop Elements. I am a fine artist and photographer, but have never felt a real need to use Photoshop in my work.

One of the first things I noticed about the voting was the sheep mentality. Once a design becomes somewhat popular everyone jumps on the band wagon, or into the sheep herd. I would love to see a contest with absolutely anonymous postings of designs. Woot would have to repost everything sans names. I wonder if more people would have a chance to be in the fog then.

I am going to keep at it because it is a great learning experience for me, and it is an interesting social study; is it all gamers and computer geeks here, or will other genres come forth? I also love looking at the creative ideas displayed here under such a quick deadline for design.

My novice techniques and past generation designs will never go over big here, but I love getting a few votes here and there along with the satisfaction of completing a design while learning the process.

Woot Woot!

wettoad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wettoad
sailstud25 wrote:I think the design has somewhat of a juxtaposition joke between the little Dachshund running with all his might and the Greyhound just walking to keep up...


ya, he doesn't get it, but then again, he supports greyhound racing, which is why he probably has 11; i doubt they are pets but money makers. when they can't race or breed, they go. you don't want to know how most end up.

ilstu99


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
wettoad wrote:lovely, you are one of those people who perpetuate the exploitation of these beautiful creatures for sport, which is why 75% are killed annually. the abuse these animals suffer in the name of sport is disgusting.


Ummmm....lure coursing isn't anything like racing them for profit. Lure coursing is something that's often done within local human societies, and breed clubs. It's sanctioned by the ASFA and AKC, as well as the CKC. It offers a naturally athletic dog an opportunity to run like crazy for a purpose. There's absolutely nothing cruel about it.

Go watch one sometime. Purebred sighthounds are absolutely beautiful in action, doing something they love. Let me also add that watching dogs on a lure course, that don't know what they're doing or are overly enthusiastic, is a scream.

narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
aerodino wrote:Some day I plan to have a geyhound along with a dachshund. Two extremely opposite hounds! I just met a person yesterday that had two greyhounds which inspired me to do this design - the long and short of it, leg-wise.


i love this shirt. we all like shirts for different reasons. if somebody doesn't, I kn haz sadness?-hoo for him, don't buy it if it wins. i don't think people vote out of sympathy; if they like it, they vote. everything doesn't have to be a masterpiece to be enjoyed. plus, i wouldn't care what someone who supports greyhound racing thought anyway--it's vile. keep participating and have fun : )


narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
ilstu99 wrote:Ummmm....lure coursing isn't anything like racing them for profit. Lure coursing is something that's often done within local human societies, and breed clubs. It's sanctioned by the ASFA and AKC, as well as the CKC. It offers a naturally athletic dog an opportunity to run like crazy for a purpose. There's absolutely nothing cruel about it.

Go watch one sometime. Purebred sighthounds are absolutely beautiful in action, doing something they love.


and the injuries etc... they are NOT doing it for the dogs. so no, i'll watch my greys run in a huge fenced in area and crash on the couch.


ilstu99


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ilstu99
narkus wrote:and the injuries etc... they are NOT doing it for the dogs. so no, i'll watch my greys run in a huge fenced in area and crash on the couch.


That's not been my experience at all, as a volunteer for our local ASPCA, where we have hosted several lure course events. I've never seen a dog injured on a course, after 9 years.


stargrey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargrey
wettoad wrote:lovely, you are one of those people who perpetuate the exploitation of these beautiful creatures for sport, which is why 75% are killed annually. the abuse these animals suffer in the name of sport is disgusting.


Sorry, jerky, you clearly have no idea who I am. We have 11 wonderful greyhounds sound asleep on various sofas and beds (including our bed) as I type this and not one in a racing kennel. I have also been involved in over 200 adoptions over the past decade.

Also, your "75%" stat is so far from the truth that I almost didn't bother replying to you. You must be one of those anti-racing freaks that just love to spread misinformation. Heck, even the formal anti-racing organizations would never exaggerate that badly, so your creditability is shot.

And if you would've bothered to actually look at the flickr pool, genius, you would've seen pictures like this:

I figure you're one of those people who would never let a dog on the couch - after all, you think you're so much better than everyone and everything else. Know what it takes for a dog to sleep belly-up? Comfort in their environment!

Want to see real love for a greyhound? Here's a video my wife put together of our first couple of years together. (I posted it over a year ago, so it's not like we went out and did this to make a point. Our point was already made!) Watch this and then tell me you know sh*t about me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q2N2UQ0Qjmw

--
170+ w00ts, 6 or 7 Bags a la Crap (but who's counting), 100% attitude.
(This signature brought to you by the I-Don't-Wanna'-Have-A-Bunch-Of-Pics-In-My-Sig Society.)

wettoad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wettoad
stargrey wrote:Sorry, jerky, you clearly have no idea who I am. We have 11 wonderful greyhounds sound asleep on various sofas and beds (including our bed) as I type this and not one in a racing kennel. I have also been involved in over 200 adoptions over the past decade.

Also, your "75%" stat is so far from the truth that I almost didn't bother replying to you. You must be one of those anti-racing freaks that just love to spread misinformation. Heck, even the formal anti-racing organizations would never exaggerate that badly, so your creditability is shot.

And if you would've bothered to actually look at the flickr pool, genius, you would've seen pictures like this:




I figure you're one of those people who would never let a dog on the couch - after all, you think you're so much better than everyone and everything else. Know what it takes for a dog to sleep belly-up? Comfort in their environment!

Want to see real love for a greyhound? Here's a video my wife put together of our first couple of years together. (I posted it over a year ago, so it's not like we went out and did this to make a point. Our point was already made!) Watch this and then tell me you know sh*t about me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q2N2UQ0Qjmw



My apologies for misjudging you as your comment about racing and having 11 greyhounds lead me to believe you were, in fact, an owner of greyhounds for profit. You are correct tat I was being a jerk for assuming the worst, and I am sorry for that. My wife and I have fostered for 15 years and have four hounds of our own, and yes, they sleep belly up and where they choose. I do not apologize, however, for my passion against racing as I have seen numerous dogs suffer and have to be put down. The number of documented acts of cruelty against these dogs and the percentage of those who are killed out right, sent to research facilities and even to foreign countries as food is atrocious. There are not enough people willing to adopt x-racers, and the sport of racing perpetuates this. If that makes me a nut, so be it.

envelope


quality posts: 0 Private Messages envelope
stargrey wrote:Sorry, jerky, you clearly have no idea who I am. We have 11 wonderful greyhounds sound asleep on various sofas and beds (including our bed) as I type this and not one in a racing kennel. I have also been involved in over 200 adoptions over the past decade.

Also, your "75%" stat is so far from the truth that I almost didn't bother replying to you. You must be one of those anti-racing freaks that just love to spread misinformation. Heck, even the formal anti-racing organizations would never exaggerate that badly, so your creditability is shot.

And if you would've bothered to actually look at the flickr pool, genius, you would've seen pictures like this:




I figure you're one of those people who would never let a dog on the couch - after all, you think you're so much better than everyone and everything else. Know what it takes for a dog to sleep belly-up? Comfort in their environment!

Want to see real love for a greyhound? Here's a video my wife put together of our first couple of years together. (I posted it over a year ago, so it's not like we went out and did this to make a point. Our point was already made!) Watch this and then tell me you know sh*t about me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q2N2UQ0Qjmw


How do you keep them from trashing the couch? My leather is ruined from nesting from my girlfriend's greyhounds. She does clip their nails. hummmm...


Cool design! Love the little guy trying to keep up with his buddy's stride.

/s/j

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Josephus wrote:Sheep would go along with negative critiques, Adder. The voters are more like a stampede.

Ooh! shiny! let's vote for this!
Oh, this one is being picked on! let's vote for this!
Oh, Cho! let's ALL vote for this!
Oh, Edgar! lets vote for this! -wait a minute- this is really weird- scratch heads, oh, look, that one over there is Cute! let's vote for this!
OMG, it's an 8 bit video game reference! LET'S ALL VOTE FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!


Because Edgar is awesome.. that's why. BAAAAA!!

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
2thFairy wrote:Because Edgar is awesome.. that's why. BAAAAA!!


I think Josephus was pointing out that sheep-like people are not able to comprehend Edgar's work, 2th. I do not think he was slamming it.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mjc613 wrote:I think Josephus was pointing out that sheep-like people are not able to comprehend Edgar's work, 2th. I do not think he was slamming it.


thanks. If I got to choose any other designer who's shirt I want printed, without seeing it ahead of time, it would be Edgar.
hands down, the most interesting designs here, every week he enters.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Josephus wrote:thanks. If I got to choose any other designer who's shirt I want printed, without seeing it ahead of time, it would be Edgar.
hands down, the most interesting designs here, every week he enters.

I think woot should have an Edgar week (or at least the 4 non-derby shirts of a week).

Since woot voters are not a accurate predictor of the woot shopper, I think it would be a welcome change to those who just show up to buy and then have to see weird things like 1eye finkster.

thatrobert


quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
mjc613 wrote:I think woot should have an Edgar week (or at least the 4 non-derby shirts of a week).

Since woot voters are not a accurate predictor of the woot shopper, I think it would be a welcome change to those who just show up to buy and then have to see weird things like 1eye finkster.


If anything, the Woot Shopper is less discerning than the Woot Voter. Edgar's one daily print sold pretty badly. I think it is mostly the other artists that like Edgar's stuff -- the typical buyer/voter is mostly looking for the joke.


More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail