Derby #41: Alphabet

Sign language censorship

Repeats letters.

Rejected because: Repeats letters.

add a comment

Comments

SydneyB


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB

Um, I thought the sign for the letter "I" was a PINKY finger up, which would not need any "censoring". Or am I just being totally dense and missing the whole point of the shirt?

uforeader


quality posts: 0 Private Messages uforeader
SydneyB wrote:Um, I thought the sign for the letter "I" was a PINKY finger up, which would not need any "censoring". Or am I just being totally dense and missing the whole point of the shirt?


No, you're right, it's the pinky fnger. But that wouldn't be funny.

kwilder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
uforeader wrote:No, you're right, it's the pinky fnger. But that wouldn't be funny.


It may not be as funny, but you miss rejection for vulgarity or not being PG-13. Woot is very stringent on those to things. It may be a good idea to change it before it gets rejected

Geckotek


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Geckotek
kwilder wrote:It may not be as funny, but you miss rejection for vulgarity or not being PG-13. Woot is very stringent on those to things. It may be a good idea to change it before it gets rejected


It'll still get rejected for repetition of letters if the judges are consistent in enforcing the rules.

uforeader


quality posts: 0 Private Messages uforeader
Re: Sign language censorship


My hope is that sense it's pretty widely known the picky finger is used, that this isn't vulgar. "Fingers crossed!"

I don't *think* I repeated any letters....

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
uforeader wrote:My hope is that sense it's pretty widely known the picky finger is used, that this isn't vulgar. "Fingers crossed!"

I don't *think* I repeated any letters....


The rejectatron programming for this derby seem to follow these guidelines:

You must have exactly one of each of the 26 letters of the Latin alphabet in your design.
You may not have a duplication of any given letter, whether it is the Latin representation, or another representation including morse code, braille, sign language, or other languages.

There has not been a derby entry specifically rejected for sign language + Latin letters, but the trend has definitely implied there will be.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
bluchez wrote:The rejectatron programming for this derby seem to follow these guidelines:

You must have exactly one of each of the 26 letters of the Latin alphabet in your design.
You may not have a duplication of any given letter, whether it is the Latin representation, or another representation including morse code, braille, sign language, or other languages.

There has not been a derby entry specifically rejected for sign language + Latin letters, but the trend has definitely implied there will be.


I think there have also been rejections for having ONLY morse code, braille, etc, so basically we just shouldn't go there.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
eHalcyon wrote:I think there have also been rejections for having ONLY morse code, braille, etc, so basically we just shouldn't go there.


Sorry, I was implying that both statements had to be valid for the entry to pass. C'mon, you are a software engineer.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
bluchez wrote:Sorry, I was implying that both statements had to be valid for the entry to pass. C'mon, you are a software engineer.


Ahh, in your first statement...

bluchez wrote:You must have exactly one of each of the 26 letters of the Latin alphabet in your design.


You don't need to apologize When I read it at first, it wasn't clear to me that it meant the letter letters and thus excluding other representations. But that's stupid of me, because "Latin alphabet" implies just that. My bad!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

elvenvampire


quality posts: 0 Private Messages elvenvampire
Re: Sign language censorship


Well, not only does it break the rules, but I would think it'd be pretty offensive to deaf people. I don't know..that may be just me, but from what I've heard from my teachers (who are ASL teachers and who are deaf) they consider cuss words and the like to be very "sacred" and I don't mean holy. They teach them to you specifically so you don't use them. And while the middle finger doesn't actually mean anything in ASL, they still know what it's used for.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail