Derby #41: Alphabet
+44

Alphabestiary!

Alphabestiary!
add a comment

Comments

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
Re: Alphabestiary!


I nearly stuffed up with this one, I had originally put in both lower and upper case letters...oops. It was easy enough to remove the lowercase ones though, and that left me more room to draw the monsters.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
Re: Alphabestiary!


An Alphabet with every letter illuminated with a fantastic beast of legend! Original illustration and lettering. A is for Amphisbaena, B is for Basilisk etc. Gryphon speculates just how horsey Hippocampus is, and Unicorn meets a friend. The creatures are described in mediaval bestiaries, and ancient texts - Pliny's Natural History or the Physiologos. Can you guess the rest of the names? D for Dragon and C for Chimera are easy enough, but there are some less well known ones in there. Good luck!

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

sapphirerage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sapphirerage

GMV, I just worry that you're a little too late with this entry. You missed the weekend rush. Still, one of the coolest entries in this contest. Good luck!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
sapphirerage wrote:GMV, I just worry that you're a little too late with this entry. You missed the weekend rush. Still, one of the coolest entries in this contest. Good luck!


Heh, it took me the weekend to draw! Ah well. Thank you! er...what does GMV stand for?

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

sapphirerage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sapphirerage
leecetheartist wrote:Heh, it took me the weekend to draw! Ah well. Thank you! er...what does GMV stand for?


GMV = got my vote. : )

sailstud25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailstud25
leecetheartist wrote:Heh, it took me the weekend to draw! Ah well. Thank you! er...what does GMV stand for?


GMV is "got my vote"
Very cool idea, and fun illustrations, but a bit too crowded for me.
Looks like you had fun though!

Hmm, just went in for 3 Randoms, when I haven't bought any shirts lately (although still checking frequently) so what are the chances of liking them!?! Oh well, couldn't pass up the mystery!
...a number of shirts on teetrade.com

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Alphabestiary!


a beautiful bestiary! I'd love this as a print, too

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
sapphirerage wrote:GMV = got my vote. : )


Oh! Thank you very much!

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
sailstud25 wrote:GMV is "got my vote"
Very cool idea, and fun illustrations, but a bit too crowded for me.
Looks like you had fun though!


Thanks.

Yes...it is cramped, but I guess that's the nature of the bestiary. :-)

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
mia3mom wrote:a beautiful bestiary! I'd love this as a print, too


Thank you very much. It was hard work.

If it doesn't place (which would seem to be the case as I've missed the weekend rush it seems) I'm sure I'll find a place for it somewhere, my cafepress shop or somewhere...what's that, bestlosers or something looked interesting, something to think about as the 60 days tick away.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

ambergreen


quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

You should submit as a poster somewhere at least. This would be awesome in a kid's room...I'd totally buy it as a poster, but probably not as a shirt.

Shigwarm


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
Re: Alphabestiary!


Holy telido Radio Active-man! This shirt is awesome! Wow! It must have taken ages to draw all those beasts.

SydneyB


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB

Arrgh, me fears that you got this in a wee bit too late..


Seriously, though, it is SO great! If you DO print it on your own, please contact me, as I would really like to have one!!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Alphabestiary!


I think you've got too many colours here.

The wyvern has got two different shades of red (head and body). The dragon has two shades of green. There is clearly also yellow, blue, white and black. 8 colours.

I'm afraid that you can only have 6 colours (plus the shirt colour). Black and white do count.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
ambergreen wrote:You should submit as a poster somewhere at least. This would be awesome in a kid's room...I'd totally buy it as a poster, but probably not as a shirt.


I generally don't do my work as posters, but I might make an exception. I'd probably have to fool with it a bit to put the names of the beasties in as well.

Thank you for your kind comments!

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
Shigwarm wrote:Holy telido Radio Active-man! This shirt is awesome! Wow! It must have taken ages to draw all those beasts.


Thank you, you're all so kind. It took me about three days from scratch and finished it on my Monday afternoon, I'm in Western Australia, so the time zones are wildly skewed.

I guess it was worth working through my weekend, but you should have heard me complaining.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
SydneyB wrote:Arrgh, me fears that you got this in a wee bit too late..


Seriously, though, it is SO great! If you DO print it on your own, please contact me, as I would really like to have one!!


Thank you very much!
At the very least I'll whack it in my Cafe Press shop if nothing else comes along.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

taikuodo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages taikuodo

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=14323
my first attempt

I have other ideas, but no time. Too much homework and studying to do.
Its supposed to be like lightning and tornado stirring up the alphabet.

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
eHalcyon wrote:I think you've got too many colours here.

The wyvern has got two different shades of red (head and body). The dragon has two shades of green. There is clearly also yellow, blue, white and black. 8 colours.

I'm afraid that you can only have 6 colours (plus the shirt colour). Black and white do count.


Thanks, I have black, white, green, blue, red, yellow.

Six layers + shirt. The shades on the wyvern look different probably because of the scale pattern...no scales on the head make it look lighter.

Likewise with the dragon, no scales on the head. Only one green, only one blue.

Thanks for your concern though.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
taikuodo wrote:http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=14323
my first attempt

I have other ideas, but no time. Too much homework and studying to do.
Its supposed to be like lightning and tornado stirring up the alphabet.


Looks really cool! If I was able to vote (woot doesn't send to Australia) I'd vote for you!

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

leecetheartist wrote:Thanks, I have black, white, green, blue, red, yellow.

Six layers + shirt. The shades on the wyvern look different probably because of the scale pattern...no scales on the head make it look lighter.

Likewise with the dragon, no scales on the head. Only one green, only one blue.

Thanks for your concern though.

Would it be possible to post a larger picture so we can see all the details? ^_^

Pretty please?

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
superspryte wrote:Would it be possible to post a larger picture so we can see all the details? ^_^

Pretty please?


Ah...I don't see why not. Is there an etiquette to follow as to where I should put it? Would my livejournal be okay?

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

leecetheartist wrote:Ah...I don't see why not. Is there an etiquette to follow as to where I should put it? Would my livejournal be okay?

You can upload it wherever you like. When you go to post there's a link to a formatting guide on the left of the text box. You can use that to create the tags to post it. Keep in mind that you should put it somewhere you'll leave it (I use photobucket) because these posts stick around after the derby's over.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
superspryte wrote:You can upload it wherever you like. When you go to post there's a link to a formatting guide on the left of the text box. You can use that to create the tags to post it. Keep in mind that you should put it somewhere you'll leave it (I use photobucket) because these posts stick around after the derby's over.


Thank you, I'll do that sometime after the next few hours then, I'm about to wander off for a bit.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

sapphirerage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sapphirerage
leecetheartist wrote:Thank you very much!
At the very least I'll whack it in my Cafe Press shop if nothing else comes along.


Agreed. I want one. And you know, if it goes to Cafe Press, you can make it into posters and other things. Plus, despite the fact that if this shirt gets printed, I'll probably order at least 2, if it goes to Cafe Press, one could get it on white which I think would make the colors REALLY pop!

Slowly but surely, this shirt it movin' up the chart!!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
leecetheartist wrote:Thanks, I have black, white, green, blue, red, yellow.

Six layers + shirt. The shades on the wyvern look different probably because of the scale pattern...no scales on the head make it look lighter.

Likewise with the dragon, no scales on the head. Only one green, only one blue.

Thanks for your concern though.


Ah! Alright then. Do you think you could post a list of all the creatures? I'd considered trying this but decided not to. My poor animal-drawing skills aside, I couldn't think of a mythological creature for all the letters, and I don't own a bestiary. =P

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
sapphirerage wrote:Agreed. I want one. And you know, if it goes to Cafe Press, you can make it into posters and other things. Plus, despite the fact that if this shirt gets printed, I'll probably order at least 2, if it goes to Cafe Press, one could get it on white which I think would make the colors REALLY pop!

Slowly but surely, this shirt it movin' up the chart!!


Thank you. I chose the heather because it was nice to have the white unicorn and Pegasus stand out a bit. Perhaps I could put the names in on the back too.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
eHalcyon wrote:Ah! Alright then. Do you think you could post a list of all the creatures? I'd considered trying this but decided not to. My poor animal-drawing skills aside, I couldn't think of a mythological creature for all the letters, and I don't own a bestiary. =P


I don't own a bestiary either, I just did a *lot* of research. :-)

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
superspryte wrote:You can upload it wherever you like. When you go to post there's a link to a formatting guide on the left of the text box. You can use that to create the tags to post it. Keep in mind that you should put it somewhere you'll leave it (I use photobucket) because these posts stick around after the derby's over.


Alrighty then:

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

sapphirerage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sapphirerage

Ok, I don't know what is going on here, when I first posted a reply to the bigger pic, Woot put it in the main discussion thread about this derby so I went back to edit it and say it didn't belong there. Then, it put it where it was supposed to originally be!!

What I wanted to say was that after seeing the bigger pic, I love it even more! Thanks for posting that.

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
sapphirerage wrote:Ok, I don't know what is going on here, when I first posted a reply to the bigger pic, Woot put it in the main discussion thread about this derby so I went back to edit it and say it didn't belong there. Then, it put it where it was supposed to originally be!!

What I wanted to say was that after seeing the bigger pic, I love it even more! Thanks for posting that.


My pleasure, and thank you once more. I was a bit disappointed with the way it looked on the shirt, so I'm much happier people can see it better now. And definitely that it's only got the six colours. :-)

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
sapphirerage wrote:Ok, I don't know what is going on here, when I first posted a reply to the bigger pic, Woot put it in the main discussion thread about this derby so I went back to edit it and say it didn't belong there. Then, it put it where it was supposed to originally be!!

What I wanted to say was that after seeing the bigger pic, I love it even more! Thanks for posting that.


All comments on the shirts appear in the main "comments" thread for that derby as well as on the thread for the appropriate shirt. =)

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

naterobnana


quality posts: 0 Private Messages naterobnana
Re: Alphabestiary!


Totally cool shirt. I send many to my grandson in Germany via Priority mail and they have a special rate box that could fit 4 or more shirts in it. If he gets this shirt, his friends will be sooooo jealous.

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
naterobnana wrote:Totally cool shirt. I send many to my grandson in Germany via Priority mail and they have a special rate box that could fit 4 or more shirts in it. If he gets this shirt, his friends will be sooooo jealous.


Thank you very much, a lot of work has gone into it.

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

leecetheartist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leecetheartist
Re: Alphabestiary!


A huge thank you to everyone who voted for me! Thanks folks!

If you like mythical animals, enjoy browsing my site! All of the work is my own. Why, yes, I've been doing this for a while now, why do you ask? If you're looking for my Woot entries they're here at my other site. Thank you for your interest!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail