Derby #42: Join the Revolution!
+684

Nightmare on Wall Street

Nightmare on Wall Street
add a comment

Comments

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


A pun on the movie title 'Nightmare on Elm Street'.

Here's a detailed view:


Check out my blog:Here!

Mitohapa


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mitohapa
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


I watched the step-by-step development of this design on the forums, and I have to say that I really think it turned out wonderfully. I don't know much about better shirt colors or anything, but it's an excellent design. Kudos to you!

ign22401


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ign22401
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Now this is a good lookin' asphalt shirt!

I also gotta say that the evolution of this design was fun to watch. I think you really nailed it in the end.

GravityJMB


quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Love this! ONWARD TO THE FOG!

RodeoTrout


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RodeoTrout
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Fantastic design...GMV

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
SamoaJoe wrote:FINALLY A SHIRT THAT DESERVES TO BE IN THE FOG !!!

LETS DO IT DEREK !!! LET'S WIN WIN WIN !!!!


It did deserve its spot in the fog. Twice prior. I just don't think the reworking here measures up to the original. This, coupled with two colour choices posted at the moment and likely design-fatigue on the part of the wooters as far as this idea goes, will probably destine this design for the lower reaches of the top 10 at best.

That's honest logic and critique. So much more effective than hating a design for the designer.

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


For some reason it bugs me that the paint on the paint can is orange but the fist is black. I know you made the fist more subtle to draw in a larger audience, but just thought I'd mention it.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
bluchez wrote:For some reason it bugs me that the paint on the paint can is orange but the fist is black. I know you made the fist more subtle to draw in a larger audience, but just thought I'd mention it.


He's painting the sky. =P

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
AdderXYU wrote:It did deserve its spot in the fog. Twice prior. I just don't think the reworking here measures up to the original. This, coupled with two colour choices posted at the moment and likely design-fatigue on the part of the wooters as far as this idea goes, will probably destine this design for the lower reaches of the top 10 at best.

That's honest logic and critique. So much more effective than hating a design for the designer.


I think you're right on on several points. It's pretty rare for me to get any sort of feedback on shirt designs in the woot forums, so I had to run with it when I got the opportunity ;-)


bluchez wrote:For some reason it bugs me that the paint on the paint can is orange but the fist is black. I know you made the fist more subtle to draw in a larger audience, but just thought I'd mention it.


Nice catch. The idea is that he painted the sunrise, not the fist.
A bit abstract, but it made sense late last night.


Check out my blog:Here!

haxrox


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox
derekfilley wrote:The idea is that he painted the sunrise, not the fist.
A bit abstract, but it made sense late last night.


I wondered about that, and the association of the design with the explanation "he painted the sunrise" appeals to me deeply. So good, derek.

richardb86


quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardb86

nicely done, this might just be the final resub for you with this one.

danedmo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages danedmo


I'll take 2 please

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Glad to see the gas mask comfortably in second place, derek. Let's hope it stays there all week.

kwilder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=14378]Nightmare on Wall Street


I really liked how this design turned out, and you can really see all the hard work you put into it. I hope you get your well deserved printing! Good Luck!

derekorr11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekorr11
ansharp wrote:Glad to see the gas mask comfortably in second place, derek. Let's hope it stays there all week.


this should be rejected
no significant difference

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
derekorr11 wrote:this should be rejected
no significant difference


Seriously? Did you look at the full image?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
ign22401 wrote:Now this is a good lookin' asphalt shirt!

I also gotta say that the evolution of this design was fun to watch. I think you really nailed it in the end.


I just realized that this was asphalt. The colour combination really makes it seem more blue, to me at least. Awesome.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Turbotuff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Turbotuff
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Awesome Dereck - way to come back in style this week!!

kwilder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
eHalcyon wrote:I just realized that this was asphalt. The colour combination really makes it seem more blue, to me at least. Awesome.


I know! I thought it was a dusty dark blue, but I guess it is asphalt.

Oh, because some people seem to be rumbling already about the resubmit it may be a good idea to post the first shirt (9 to 5 o'clock...) just so people can see how different they really are and how much work you put into changing it.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


grate use of color. I think it's more interesting to have him painting the sky than the more conventional idea of painting the building, so good thinking there

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Derek- I like this one so much better than the one in the do-over derby. (I wasn't on shirt.woot for the very first submission of this design, but I do remember it in the do-over derby.) I like the colors and details in this version! Love the addition of the sunset and the gradient dot details. Good luck this week!

Bryan818


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


came out great the half tone really makes it pop... i hated the red fist im glad you were able to work it out...

Please check it out

CAMMS


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CAMMS
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


And here you are, in the fog. Wonderful! This is a very powerful image and the colors intensify it, IMO. Will vote and buy!

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street

I've been loving this for a couple of days now. Greeat job Derek!



Webfoot08


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Your designs haven't appealed significantly to me before this, but I like the story this tells. Very nice with the painting of the sun(son?)rise, a metaphor for hope. Well done. GMV.

wizard7926


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926

Nice use of halftoning on the sunrise effect behind the city, and I knew automatically by the thumbnail view of the gas mask that it must be your design, Derek. Don't know why (maybe influenced by 5 o'clock Shadow?)..

kwilder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=14378]Nightmare on Wall Street


In the fog AND the hotness! Not too bad for someone that isn't a "heavy hitter" (Your words, [u]definitely[/u] not mine)

kwilder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
kwilder wrote:In the fog AND the hotness! Not too bad for someone that isn't a "heavy hitter" (Your words, [u] definitely [/u] not mine)


not sure why it won't let me edit this to fix the formating, but it was supposed to underline definitely. Grr.

kwilder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
kwilder wrote:In the fog AND the hotness! Not too bad for someone that isn't a "heavy hitter" (Your words, definitely not mine)


Man I feel like a posting stalker now, but I saw some of the drama in jamescho's risky business shirt and it is great your shirt is doing well, given, well, the "endorsement" If I am making sense.

montron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages montron
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


this is my favorite design other than that "reveLOLtion" design, just cause i am a sucker for lolcats. but other than the fist, i don't see how it pertains to a revolution. i can kinda guess as to what it's trying to say, but it's a far stretch.

can you explain the design please? some people mentioned this being a reworked design from a previous derby. i don't think i was around for it..

milesdavis91


quality posts: 0 Private Messages milesdavis91
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


I love it! Good job!

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Wow, still in the fog.

Really quickly, thanks to all of you who have voted or commented on this design, you guys rock! Specifically, Thanks to eHalcyon, mia3mom, kwilder, ansharp, Amach06, CAMMS, mjc613 , zfranciose, Etothex and anyone else who helped be my pseudo-focus group in honing the art.


kwilder wrote:In the fog AND the hotness! Not too bad for someone that isn't a "heavy hitter" (Your words, definitely not mine)


I don't mind eating my own words a little in this case. Still, I reserve the right to wait until Thursday noonish to concede you're right. A lot can happen in five days.


montron wrote:this is my favorite design other than that "reveLOLtion" design, just cause i am a sucker for lolcats. but other than the fist, i don't see how it pertains to a revolution. i can kinda guess as to what it's trying to say, but it's a far stretch.

can you explain the design please? some people mentioned this being a reworked design from a previous derby. i don't think i was around for it..



It's definitely a revolt against 'the man'. The sort of 'get up on your chair and burn your tie' sort of thing anyone who feels confined within the four walls of a cubicle can appreciate all too well. It's the kind of revolution that compels someone full of creativity to break all social morés (and possibly some laws) in order to express themselves.

Break out of the box and be you (or something).


Check out my blog:Here!

GravityJMB


quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


This needs to STAY in the fog. I want this shirt!!!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
derekfilley wrote:...and anyone else who helped be my pseudo-focus group in honing the art.


I think I should have gotten some help in the derby thread with my hamster design. I asked earlier in the cyberpub about shirt colour, though it was still half-hearted. I didn't even make comps with other colours... I think I should go do that now. =P

Oh, but hey - I think your wife needs some credit for this design as well. I remember she was the one that came in with a breakthrough for the rays in the background, right?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
eHalcyon wrote:
Oh, but hey - I think your wife needs some credit for this design as well. I remember she was the one that came in with a breakthrough for the rays in the background, right?


She gets a rather large cut of any winnings, I can assure you.


Check out my blog:Here!

North00


quality posts: 0 Private Messages North00
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


when I first saw this shirt I thought the fist was flipping the bird. I don't know if that was intended but it made me giggle when I realized it wasn't and i was just projecting my own thoughts into the image.

nkardos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nkardos
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


every contest, i browse through the entries hoping to find a gem. it's been since text as art, that i saw a shirt i just must have. this is one of them. great design. Good luck to you sir, it is for sure the best as of yet. I'll take one for me, and one for when that one wears out.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
North00 wrote:when I first saw this shirt I thought the fist was flipping the bird. I don't know if that was intended but it made me giggle when I realized it wasn't and i was just projecting my own thoughts into the image.

You must work where I do.

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street

great work derek, cool take on the theme.

cmortell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmortell
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


I get it andall, and seriously, amazing shirt, but its kinda off-topic ya know? Maybe less for just revolution but i've been trying to keep in mind that this is for a game, so it should apeal to that sort of revolution, and this doesn't seem to fit. But serously, amazing, you didn't get my vote though just for that reason, I can't see this going with a Civilization game.

kwilder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
derekfilley wrote:She gets a rather large cut of any winnings, I can assure you.


Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

kwilder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwilder
derekfilley wrote: Really quickly, thanks to all of you who have voted or commented on this design, you guys rock! Specifically, Thanks to eHalcyon, mia3mom, kwilder, ansharp, Amach06, CAMMS, mjc613 , zfranciose, Etothex and anyone else who helped be my pseudo-focus group in honing the art.....

...I don't mind eating my own words a little in this case. Still, I reserve the right to wait until Thursday noonish to concede you're right. A lot can happen in five days....

...It's definitely a revolt against 'the man'. The sort of 'get up on your chair and burn your tie' sort of thing anyone who feels confined within the four walls of a cubicle can appreciate all too well. It's the kind of revolution that compels someone full of creativity to break all social morés (and possibly some laws) in order to express themselves.

Break out of the box and be you (or something).


Fair enough on waiting, especially after previous submissions with this type of shirt. I remain enthusiastic. And you are welcome for helping!

I liked your theme explanation.

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
North00 wrote:when I first saw this shirt I thought the fist was flipping the bird. I don't know if that was intended but it made me giggle when I realized it wasn't and i was just projecting my own thoughts into the image.


ha! I saw that as derek was tweaking it, and I thought it was just me! It's much less pronounced than in an earlier version with a red fist.

why yes, I do channel an inner 12 year old boy.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
cmortell wrote:I get it andall, and seriously, amazing shirt, but its kinda off-topic ya know? Maybe less for just revolution but i've been trying to keep in mind that this is for a game, so it should apeal to that sort of revolution, and this doesn't seem to fit. But serously, amazing, you didn't get my vote though just for that reason, I can't see this going with a Civilization game.


Hey cmortell, I appreciate your reservations ;-)

The woot rules did adress this though!

IMPORTANT! We are not looking for Civilization t-shirts. We just want shirts with this theme, which is inspired by and sponsored by Civilization Revolution. Your design should totally stand alone, on its own merits, not as a piece of Civ promo material. Don’t use Civilization game artwork, screenshots, logos, etc.

can i haz votes now? ;-)


Check out my blog:Here!

BrIanPir


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrIanPir
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Definitely GMV. Cool artwork!

nelson22


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nelson22

This is just like that other one that you (or someone) else made. I'm too lazy to go look up whatever these people are talking about, but didnt that last design win?

afb264


quality posts: 0 Private Messages afb264
nelson22 wrote:This is just like that other one that you (or someone) else made. I'm too lazy to go look up whatever these people are talking about, but didnt that last design win?


It got close in the do-over derby, but no, it didn't win. This is the link to the do-over derby image:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=8262

cmortell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmortell
derekfilley wrote:Hey cmortell, I appreciate your reservations ;-)

The woot rules did adress this though!

IMPORTANT! We are not looking for Civilization t-shirts. We just want shirts with this theme, which is inspired by and sponsored by Civilization Revolution. Your design should totally stand alone, on its own merits, not as a piece of Civ promo material. Don’t use Civilization game artwork, screenshots, logos, etc.

can i haz votes now? ;-)


Yeah, i'll vote for this just because if this shirt wins i'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Ya know what I mean though, it doens't have to have the logo or the name on it to apply to the game, and I was under the impression that if they were going to pay for the increase in prize that they would use this shirt for something, but i dunno. You have my vote though.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


nelson22 wrote:This is just like that other one that you (or someone) else made. I'm too lazy to go look up whatever these people are talking about, but didnt that last design win?


afb264 wrote:It got close in the do-over derby, but no, it didn't win. This is the link to the do-over derby image:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=8262



http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=2989
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=8262

The original shirt, 9 to 5 O'clock Shadow appeared in derby #10, 'City Without Words' where it came in 4th place (barely missing being printed).

Later it was chosen by the woot staff to be in the first 'do over derby' , where it again got 4th place, missing being printed by 4 votes, and missing second place by 8 votes. It is currently the only woot shirt to have gotten fourth place, twice ;-)

I have recieved dozens of emails over the months asking me to print it on my bountee page, but due to some design issues and my own antipathy, it has not happened yet. There has been a furor over resubmitted entries recently (led by myself among others), but woot has clearly stated that they are ok, as long as 'significant' changes are made. I spent more time on my 'changes' than I did making the original shirt, and the new design falls quite comfortably into the realm of 'significant changes' per past precedent (one, two: one, two).

In any case, it has proven time and again to be a popular concept, and hopefully its time will come (soon)!


Check out my blog:Here!

dea007


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dea007
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


I really like that the man painted the sunset/sunrise

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
brizz wrote:so you have two weeks notice for a derby, and all you do is retread a thrice submitted design? weak. very very weak. I really hope this doesn't win....not digging it at all, and tired of seeing it frankly.


Derby winner #39 message board

brizz wrote:it's pretty...and i like it better on the royal, but just not my thing. congrats though cho...good to see a woot favorite get a second chance. pretty strong finish for it too!


I normally don't make a habit of responding to your repeated personal attacks, brizz but i'll give in just this once. We can see by the quote above that you don't have a problem with 'woot favorites getting a second chance'.

Give up the vendetta, I didn't do anything to you.





sidenote: 'thrice submitted'? you do know that 'thrice' means three right? I've never resubmitted a concept before now.


Check out my blog:Here!

lunartan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
dea007 wrote:I really like that the man painted the sunset/sunrise


the sunset still looks like the effect from mr. toast to me

chodax


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chodax

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
derekfilley wrote:sidenote: 'thrice submitted'? you do know that 'thrice' means three right? I've never resubmitted a concept before now.


I believe he probably meant that it had been voted on thrice, or the fact that this is the third submission.

One inherent problem with throwing a fit and resubmitting 3 entries in one derby, is that you can then not argue that you have never resubmitted a concept before.

I have no problem finding 3 times this (or something similar) has been submitted AND voted on, maybe you disagree?

City Without Words
Big Do-Over
Motherhood
Join The Revolution

Along with other resubmits:
Calvinball (Original)
Monkey (Original)

Another, more illegal aspect of your choice of activism would come from noticing that the Calvinball and the Monkey shirts linked above were submitted on April 25th of this year, while you currently have both shirts up for sale on bountee and bountee. That would appear to be in direct violation of the 60 day hold that woot is given on entries, according to the terms and conditions.

This is said without any vendetta, fwiw. I have no intention of saying this isn't passable as a new entry, just saying that you should choose your words (or your activism) more closely.

Webfoot08


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
lunartan wrote:your 9to5 o'clock shadow with the mr. toast background.


Just because a certain element of design is used as part of another shirt's design, doesn't mean it was "stolen" if it's used again. If all elements and effects became strictly off-limits the second they were used, after a while we'd have nothing left to use in our designs at all.

I can just see it - "There were fists in the Revolution derby, so you can't put a fist in your design. There were flowers used in the Motherhood derby, so nobody can use flowers anymore. There were waves used in Treacherous Waters, so nobody can use waves anymore. Say No To Scurvy showed an orange, so you can't use oranges anymore. Poultry was used in Nobody's Child, so you can't use poultry anymore. Fish, maple leaves, and caterpillars are off-limits from now on..."

A little common sense would be a good thing to add to our skill sets.

afb264


quality posts: 0 Private Messages afb264
Webfoot08 wrote:Just because a certain element of design is used as part of another shirt's design, doesn't mean it was "stolen" if it's used again. If all elements and effects became strictly off-limits the second they were used, after a while we'd have nothing left to use in our designs at all.

I can just see it - "There were fists in the Revolution derby, so you can't put a fist in your design. There were flowers used in the Motherhood derby, so nobody can use flowers anymore. There were waves used in Treacherous Waters, so nobody can use waves anymore. Say No To Scurvy showed an orange, so you can't use oranges anymore. Poultry was used in Nobody's Child, so you can't use poultry anymore. Fish, maple leaves, and caterpillars are off-limits from now on..."

A little common sense would be a good thing to add to our skill sets.


That and the fact that woot can't print gradients, so that effect is one of the few that an artist can use to make it look like something is fading out.

mihalis aya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


You know I voted!

prepn15


quality posts: 0 Private Messages prepn15
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


surprised the halftones are large enough.

gmv and i'm in for one.

Just Keep Swimming

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
prepn15 wrote:surprised the halftones are large enough.

gmv and i'm in for one.


hmmm, joined today, has no purchases, makes a passive comment to mention a possible reason for rejection (one that only an experienced derby goer might know), and then mentions gmv when none could be given. quite interesting.

timevespa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages timevespa

I prefer the original design. This incarnation doesn't have the same feeling, for me.

Woots: 4
Woot Monkeys: 3
Shirt.Woots: 19
Woot-Offs: 2
Woot-Off Lights: 2.75 - only one light spins without squealing
Bags of Carbon: 0

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
bluchez wrote:I believe he probably meant that it had been voted on thrice, or the fact that this is the third submission.

One inherent problem with throwing a fit and resubmitting 3 entries in one derby, is that you can then not argue that you have never resubmitted a concept before.

I have no problem finding 3 times this (or something similar) has been submitted AND voted on, maybe you disagree?

City Without Words
Big Do-Over
Motherhood
Join The Revolution

Along with other resubmits:
Calvinball (Original)
Monkey (Original)

Another, more illegal aspect of your choice of activism would come from noticing that the Calvinball and the Monkey shirts linked above were submitted on April 25th of this year, while you currently have both shirts up for sale on bountee and bountee. That would appear to be in direct violation of the 60 day hold that woot is given on entries, according to the terms and conditions.

This is said without any vendetta, fwiw. I have no intention of saying this isn't passable as a new entry, just saying that you should choose your words (or your activism) more closely.


that was precisely my point. i have no particular vendetta...and most certainly nothing personal...I do however fa.il to appreciate the appeal of this, and repeat that it's now being voted on for the third time, and you have a history of skirting rules and then crying foul when you don't win or are rejected.

I think you could design some great shirts, it's a shame you insist on rehashing this and other previous entries. As for your attempt at revealing some sort of hypocrisy, I don't recall bashing 9 to 5 in its second go a few months ago...but did tire of the repeated lobbying for it. Had cho's shirt already been voted on twice, i would not have approved of a third time either.

And I don't think the "illusion" of the hand flipping the bird is accidental at all....it's too flippin obvious. Another reason this particular entry rubbed me the wrong way.

finally, i'd really like to see some example of a personal attack i've EVER made against you derek....but i imagine i'll be waiting a long time since it's never happened.

ericadam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericadam

leahfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leahfilley
brizz wrote:that was precisely my point. i have no particular vendetta...and most certainly nothing personal...I do however fa.il to appreciate the appeal of this, and repeat that it's now being voted on for the third time, and you have a history of skirting rules and then crying foul when you don't win or are rejected.

I think you could design some great shirts, it's a shame you insist on rehashing this and other previous entries. As for your attempt at revealing some sort of hypocrisy, I don't recall bashing 9 to 5 in its second go a few months ago...but did tire of the repeated lobbying for it. Had cho's shirt already been voted on twice, i would not have approved of a third time either.

And I don't think the "illusion" of the hand flipping the bird is accidental at all....it's too flippin obvious. Another reason this particular entry rubbed me the wrong way.

finally, i'd really like to see some example of a personal attack i've EVER made against you derek....but i imagine i'll be waiting a long time since it's never happened.


really? you're actually serious with this? you see no personal attacks in any the statements you've ever made about him? let me enlighten you then (not that it will in any way change your habits; its clear your intentions have no honor in them whatsoever)

for example, you could just scroll up the page to find evidence of an entry where you tell him you hope he doesn't win and that his submission is weak, very weak. thinly veiled attempts to make the comments sound nonchalant don't hide the fact that no matter what you say about him, it's negative and degrading.

even your poor excuse for a compliment needles into him by saying he could make a good shirt, if he wanted to. its rediculous! what is your problem?

do you not remember responding to one of his comments by telling him no one cares about what he thinks and he should just quit talking about it? do you realise that you are the only one who verbally fights with him in these topics, and he's only ever responded to your hateful posts once? i don't care how much you think he complains about whatever and how unfounded his complaints are, he has a right to make them. you also have a right to respond to them, but when its clear that your statements are personal rather than just the typical banter that normal people are comfortable with, its time for you to stop.

and that's what i'm saying. if you have comments, you need to keep them to yourself from now on. he should be totally free to participate on this website without having to constantly defend himself against you.

and by the way, you are CLEARLY in a minority with your dislike of his shirt. even if he doesn't win, i don't see anything from you close to doing that well. maybe you should prove to everyone else that you have some experience in the field to be criticizing like you do.

and the flipping off thing that has you so "offended"? I put the fist there so that a building wasn't rising from the middle finger, so you can be unjustifiably offended at me all you freakin want.

peppersagooddog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
leahfilley wrote:really?
words
more words
.





wow eat some chocolate already.

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
peppersagooddog wrote:wow eat some chocolate already.


*golf clap*

lmfao


Uhm, so...yeah. not sure what to say to all that vitriol. you obviously have a better memory for derek's battles in the interwebs. and for the record, i merely referred to this being submitted for voting a third time in a derby that had over a week's heads up was weak - as in lazy. which it is. *shrugs*


and, uhm, YOU put the hand there? who are you again?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
brizz wrote:and, uhm, YOU put the hand there? who are you again?


leahfilley. Obviously the wife.

For the record, I didn't see the raised middle finger. I guess there's a subtle illusion, but I doubt it was intentional. If it was, the fist would have been positioned slightly to the left or right instead of right where it is.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

brizz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brizz
leahfilley wrote:
and by the way, you are CLEARLY in a minority with your dislike of his shirt. even if he doesn't win, i don't see anything from you close to doing that well. maybe you should prove to everyone else that you have some experience in the field to be criticizing like you do.


perhaps your mermaids can have a fight to the death with my french flag and we'll see who wins the coveted title of least qualified to criticize.

leahfilley wrote:
and the flipping off thing that has you so "offended"? I put the fist there so that a building wasn't rising from the middle finger, so you can be unjustifiably offended at me all you freakin want.


among the many, many disingenuous parts of your tirade, please show me where i said i was offended? it takes a whole lot to offend me...and i can't think of a single instance of offense ever coming from the pg world of woot.

There is nothing personal in my dislike of derek's skirting of the rules and trying to profit from a design that has lost twice already - not to mention his rampant hypocrisy about resubs given what blu so clearly spelled out above - which derek seems incapable of responding to I might add.

leahfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leahfilley
eHalcyon wrote:leahfilley. Obviously the wife.

For the record, I didn't see the raised middle finger. I guess there's a subtle illusion, but I doubt it was intentional. If it was, the fist would have been positioned slightly to the left or right instead of right where it is.


thank you.

with that said, i return to my posting hybernation. but i'll be here...

like a ninja in the night...

ninnnnjaaaaa....

BorisL12


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BorisL12

i like the shirt but the fist is killing it for me. sorry =(

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
BorisL12 wrote:i like the shirt but the fist is killing it for me. sorry =(


fist happens ;-)


Check out my blog:Here!

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


I really hope this is the last time this image shows up in the derbies.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
2thFairy wrote:I really hope this is the last time this image shows up in the derbies.


I don't understand what you mean. Thanks for the comment though! ^_^


Check out my blog:Here!

tjflashman77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjflashman77
2thFairy wrote:I really hope this is the last time this image shows up in the derbies.


I really hope you resubmit it until it wins. GMV and commission when it wins. Excellent reworking. The composition is masterful. There will always be vocal criticisms of any shirts that make the fog. It's just the way it is. It's just too bad that the critiques aren't confined to the designs.

Greatest song ever written about JFK here. NSFW... or children... or anyone who's offended by the idea that JFK might have been a robot... fair warning.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
tjflashman77 wrote:I really hope you resubmit it until it wins. GMV and commission when it wins. Excellent reworking. The composition is masterful. There will always be vocal criticisms of any shirts that make the fog. It's just the way it is. It's just too bad that the critiques aren't confined to the designs.


wow, thanks :-)


Check out my blog:Here!

RandomUser69


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RandomUser69
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Fekking awesome. I want it.

Iambusyeating


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Well... due to the Cho meltdown I have to say this tagger will finally get a well deserved win. It's about time.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Iambusyeating wrote:Well... due to the Cho meltdown I have to say this tagger will finally get a well deserved win. It's about time.


Muchos gracias seniorita. It will be a pleasure to finish second (or third? ;-) behind your bright red bowling revolution shirt! I might end up with multiple shirts this week (for the first time ever ;-)


Check out my blog:Here!

kyselad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyselad
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


I really think this would work much better with just the guy in the mask, i.e. minus the fist, the city, and the other folks. Too busy for me, and I really think that one figure says it all.

Iambusyeating


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iambusyeating
kyselad wrote:I really think this would work much better with just the guy in the mask, i.e. minus the fist, the city, and the other folks. Too busy for me, and I really think that one figure says it all.


I kinda disagree. I think its important that the rebel appear small against the backdrop of everything he's fighting against. My only real complaint is the fist which kinda steals focus from the spray painter. But still this is an awesome shirt and my traitorous little brother is looking forward to it being printed.

wdhollister


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdhollister
ign22401 wrote:Now this is a good lookin' asphalt shirt!

I also gotta say that the evolution of this design was fun to watch. I think you really nailed it in the end.


I don't think it is very good.

It doesn't have any thought put into it. The shirt makes only little sense.

In short... it stinks.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
wdhollister wrote:I don't think it is very good.

It doesn't have any thought put into it. The shirt makes only little sense.

In short... it stinks.


Mom? Is that you?


Check out my blog:Here!

rkshelton21


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkshelton21

While I do feel like I have seen this shirt too many times...
(Not in the sense that the design isn't good enough, but that I would have rather seen a brand new idea from you.) Also, while I feel that way, your design is obvious liked enough that being re-subbed isn't stopping people from voting on it. (That includes me.) So don't let the bashing get to you.

I do really like the design. This one even more so than the other. I don't see the whole flipping the bird thing either. To me, it looks more like one of those #1 foam fists.

Anyway, great work, and I feel like this one is more organized and has more theme backing it than your 9 to 5 shirt.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
rkshelton21 wrote:While I do feel like I have seen this shirt too many times...
(Not in the sense that the design isn't good enough, but that I would have rather seen a brand new idea from you.) Also, while I feel that way, your design is obvious liked enough that being re-subbed isn't stopping people from voting on it. (That includes me.) So don't let the bashing get to you.

I do really like the design. This one even more so than the other. I don't see the whole flipping the bird thing either. To me, it looks more like one of those #1 foam fists.

Anyway, great work, and I feel like this one is more organized and has more theme backing it than your 9 to 5 shirt.


I really appreciate your well thought out comments :-) You'll see something new from me next week, rest assured.


Check out my blog:Here!

danedmo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages danedmo

Good Luck Mr Derek! I really hope you get the xbox out of this deal... I will definitely hang at your place to play that sucka

Phyldirt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phyldirt
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Outta the fog?! Come on people, show this shirt some love - I want to see it printed.

Amach06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amach06
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Okay this has turned in to the worst fog ever. Honestly with 2 weeks worth of time all we have to show is a bunch of crapy shirts with puns on them. Derek's and cho's are the only creative shirts in the fog imo. well at least they were in the fog. And this is the only shirt i would really purchase this week. This is such a disappointment. There were so many original ideas this week and non of them are even in the fog or close for that matter.
Good job derek... hope you can still win.

Well there is always next year....

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


Not another fourth place finish! This shirt deserves to be printed, and I hope it happens.

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
ansharp wrote:Not another fourth place finish! This shirt deserves to be printed, and I hope it happens.


It will in a month or so in it's 5th time up for voting if nothing else (I keed, I keed). I think it's getting printed this go around.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Nightmare on Wall Street


A huge 'thank you' to everyone who voted or gave input on this design. there are several great designs this week, and it's great to be included in the final four, whether or not I actually win. I'll end up buying at least one shirt no matter what this weekend!


Check out my blog:Here!

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
derekfilley wrote:A huge 'thank you' to everyone who voted or gave input on this design. there are several great designs this week, and it's great to be included in the final four, whether or not I actually win. I'll end up buying at least one shirt no matter what this weekend!


Congrats on 3rd at least, dude. (seriously, you got it, I guarantee)

Edit: Guarantee is worth 1 woot tshirt of your choice, not $1000.

Biolink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Biolink
bluchez wrote:Congrats on 3rd at least, dude. (seriously, you got it, I guarantee)

Edit: Guarantee is worth 1 woot tshirt of your choice, not $1000.


Was that a joke or did Derek's shirt really get 3rd?

Great if he did place,but I want his shirt to place 1st

*Cries*

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
Biolink wrote:Was that a joke or did Derek's shirt really get 3rd?

Great if he did place,but I want his shirt to place 1st

*Cries*


Both of the estimates here have him at 3rd, but they are estimates for a reason.

Biolink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Biolink
bluchez wrote:Both of the estimates here have him at 3rd, but they are estimates for a reason.


Have the estimates ever been off?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Biolink wrote:Have the estimates ever been off?


They're always off. The question is by how much?

In the motherhood derby, estimates put the bridge design at 3rd, but it was beat out by edgar's llo evolution.

In other derbies, the estimates have been within 10 votes. They're usually pretty accurate. Might be less accurate this derby what with excessive hotness gaming and that weird period where nobody could vote.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
eHalcyon wrote:They're always off. The question is by how much?

In the motherhood derby, estimates put the bridge design at 3rd, but it was beat out by edgar's llo evolution.

In other derbies, the estimates have been within 10 votes. They're usually pretty accurate. Might be less accurate this derby what with excessive hotness gaming and that weird period where nobody could vote.


Also, considering there are two sets of estimates that are different, it is guaranteed that one is off. (as far as votes go, that is)

gregorys90


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregorys90
bluchez wrote:Also, considering there are two sets of estimates that are different, it is guaranteed that one is off. (as far as votes go, that is)


great art work , but not feeling the orange , maybe white ? or change the fist to orange ?? just suggestions


frutzerg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages frutzerg

curb1510


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510

Congratulations!
Wonderful to see such talent rewarded. As for all this Brizz criticism don't indulge it with too much feedback. Someone's insecure and they are venting on your success. Apart from that, a fantastic design. Layered, thoughtful, aesthetically pleasing and a nice little challenge for the head.
Please check your other site for a request.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail