Derby #56: Your Favorite Element
+178

Gold : The Midas Touch

Gold : The Midas Touch
add a comment

Comments

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


The story of King Midas and his golden touch. The design shows that the oak twig and stones were one of the first things Midas touched to turn to gold. Then the realization that his beloved daughter and roses would also turn to gold upon his touch. The rivers where the 'curse' was removed and the subsequent golden sand and golden nuggets are also represented. A variety of other golden items are also included.

Thank you for your vote.

brydesign


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brydesign
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


Wow, such detail, please tell me that this took you forever so that I don't have to be super jealous.

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
brydesign wrote:Wow, such detail, please tell me that this took you forever so that I don't have to be super jealous.


Thanks Mr. Bry

It did take forever. I count about 9-10 hours from sketch to finish. Probably too detailed for a shirt, but hoping that folks like it enough to vote.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch

You are amazing with that style. Very cool.



uhhuhhuhhuh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages uhhuhhuhhuh
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


This is superb. The use of color is so amazing...it makes it seem like 60 colors instead of 6!

iclemont


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iclemont
uhhuhhuhhuh wrote:This is superb. The use of color is so amazing...it makes it seem like 60 colors instead of 6!


You are so right!
I am consistently amazed by your skillful use of colors, klswoot.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


I thought of doing a midas shirt this week too. Yours turned out great, very nice detail ;-)


Check out my blog:Here!

rachinha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachinha
uhhuhhuhhuh wrote:This is superb. The use of color is so amazing...it makes it seem like 60 colors instead of 6!


Now that you say that, am I miscounting when I see 7 ink colors? black, brown, orange, red, blue, white, yellow. I hope I'm wrong because I really like this one.

earthart


quality posts: 0 Private Messages earthart
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


I really dig this klswoot and I'm glad to see you entered the derby. Your style (this style) is right up my alley. When I allow myself to do it, I draw in a similar, although less elegant manner: patterns, abstract shapes, etc. Seeing the success you have had doing so does inspire me to want to explore that style more. As you noted though it can be quite time-consuming, but so is just about anything worth doing. Best of luck climbing up the ranks. I gladly added my vote to your tally.

rachinha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachinha
rachinha wrote:Now that you say that, am I miscounting when I see 7 ink colors? black, brown, orange, red, blue, white, yellow. I hope I'm wrong because I really like this one.


My bad, disregard that first comment. My husband just pointed out to me that what I was seeing as black is just the dark brown of the shirt coming through.
And I still love this design

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
rachinha wrote:My bad, disregard that first comment. My husband just pointed out to me that what I was seeing as black is just the dark brown of the shirt coming through.
And I still love this design


Hi Rachinha. Yes. The darkest color that you see is the shirt color. I used it quite a bit in the pattern-making so as to break up the shirt and let areas 'breathe".

We've been away all afternoon, so it's a great surprise to see this one in 6th place. Thanks for the comments and votes!

Derek..are you still entering the derbies?

Raelgoth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raelgoth
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


I really like this one. I can look at it for awhile and still learn new things about the piece. The detail, of course... but coupled with your use of color... wow. I'd love to have this done as stained glass in a chandelier above my pool table. That's some great artwork. Really... great. gmv for sure.

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
klswoot wrote:
Derek..are you still entering the derbies?


I was gone for most of the summer, but yeah, i'm getting back into it. Check my sig for my entry this week ;-)


Check out my blog:Here!

jackie31337


quality posts: 5 Private Messages jackie31337

[/url][/quote]

Absolutely stunning! GMV

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


Raelgoth wrote:I really like this one. I can look at it for awhile and still learn new things about the piece. The detail, of course... but coupled with your use of color... wow. I'd love to have this done as stained glass in a chandelier above my pool table. That's some great artwork. Really... great. gmv for sure.


Raelgoth - Thank you! You're the second person to comment about how these designs lend themselves to stained glass. I think EHal mentioned that once as well. I love the stained glass designs from the art deco period, so it probably does have some influence on my design.

Thanks again for the kind words and the vote!

(edit: Just saw the newest comment from Jackie....Thanks!)

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


I can't believe this isn't in the fog!
Great style, I hope you submit this to threadless or DBH after the 60 days if it doesn't end up placing.


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


riffmaster18 wrote:I can't believe this isn't in the fog!
Great style, I hope you submit this to threadless or DBH after the 60 days if it doesn't end up placing.


Thanks Riff. I thought it might do better, but there are a lot of popular designs this week. The votes are going up, but the design keeps slipping in rank. So, I'm guessing it doesn't have the mass appeal or the momentum to stick it out.

It was a labor of love, so I will definitely try to do something with it after the 60 day hold.

Thanks again for leaving a comment.


eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
klswoot wrote:Raelgoth - Thank you! You're the second person to comment about how these designs lend themselves to stained glass. I think EHal mentioned that once as well. I love the stained glass designs from the art deco period, so it probably does have some influence on my design.


If I hadn't actually said it, I've definitely thought it.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

themaverick


quality posts: 0 Private Messages themaverick
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


i just asked this same thing in another design thread, but i'm new to this and really like this design. i'd like to vote for it and a few others but i didn't see a vote button. how do you vote for designs?

themaverick


quality posts: 0 Private Messages themaverick
themaverick wrote:i just asked this same thing in another design thread, but i'm new to this and really like this design. i'd like to vote for it and a few others but i didn't see a vote button. how do you vote for designs?


i got an answer on this. hopefully will be voting soon. will def vote for this.

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


themaverick wrote:i just asked this same thing in another design thread, but i'm new to this and really like this design. i'd like to vote for it and a few others but i didn't see a vote button. how do you vote for designs?


Hello TheMaverick. Sounds like you already got your answer about having to purchase something on one of the woot sites (woot.com, sellout.com, wine.woot or shirt.woot). Once you've made a purchase, log into your account and visit the derby page, then you should have a I want button on which you can click. This derby ends Thursday at noon CST. So, you'll need to get your votes in by then.

Thanks (in advance) for the vote!

taylasablerose


quality posts: 0 Private Messages taylasablerose
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


Beautiful detail! Lovely, lovely work :>

Woots x7 Shirt Woots x81

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


taylasablerose wrote:Beautiful detail! Lovely, lovely work :>


Thank you so much! Doesn't seem to be too popular among the tshirt voters, but that's okay. I'll try to submit it elsewhere when the 60 days are up, or offer it in a print/poster form. (Maybe that would be better(?) )

But, thank you so much for the comment. It's really appreciated!

camoor


quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor

I love the Byzantine design, and know someone it would be perfect for. To be honest, shirt is probably too classic for the shirt.woot.com derby (in the derby, trendy almost always trumps classic)

Beautiful art, you are really talented!

klswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klswoot
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


camoor wrote:I love the Byzantine design, and know someone it would be perfect for. To be honest, shirt is probably too classic for the shirt.woot.com derby (in the derby, trendy almost always trumps classic)

Beautiful art, you are really talented!


Thanks! And, I think you're right. Too much design for a shirt. But, it was worth a shot.

camoor


quality posts: 1 Private Messages camoor
klswoot wrote:Thanks! And, I think you're right. Too much design for a shirt. But, it was worth a shot.



Actually I think it's fantastic. I was actually trying to say it's probably not commercial enough. For me, it's absolutely not too much design.

blammoed


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


Lovely! All those patterns look fantastic together, nice and colorful for sure. Excellent job!

bvillarreal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


I'm fairly new to woot, so I'm definitely no expert, but I like your unique style and uhhuhhuu is right - you make it look like you used way more than 6 colors. I just voted!

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Gold : The Midas Touch


I love this! Nice style, great detail, and wonderful colors. It's all there!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail