Derby #63: Art as Text
+733

Coffee Stains!

Coffee Stains!
add a comment

Comments

jschway901


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jschway901
Re: Coffee Stains!


Ohh to the coffee stains. This would help my morning out big time. I always miss my mouth! I could wear white with confidence!
Great Job GMV

TrialRun


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TrialRun
Re: Coffee Stains!


Love the cup rings and dribbles! If only it were a soda stains shirt.

iampooky


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iampooky
Re: Coffee Stains!


as an avid drinker of the stuff.. i'd wear this in a heartbeat.. gmv!



cowzgomoo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cowzgomoo
Re: Coffee Stains!


love this as much as i love coffee

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: Coffee Stains!


This is fairly well done for this type of shirt. I don't mean to be mean, but there have already been at least two 'cofee stain' shirts in the woot(!) derby before and countless other 'stain' related shirts. The idea's getting a bit played-out for me, personally...


Check out my blog:Here!

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
derekfilley wrote:This is fairly well done for this type of shirt. I don't mean to be mean, but there have already been at least two 'cofee stain' shirts in the woot(!) derby before and countless other 'stain' related shirts. The idea's getting a bit played-out for me, personally...


Thanks Bro! You rock!

dekonstruct


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: Coffee Stains!


I would get this for my wife who's opening a coffee shop soon, and could use all the coffee related tees available.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
dekonstruct wrote:I would get this for my wife who's opening a coffee shop soon, and could use all the coffee related tees available.


Buy her a pack of white shirts. In a month she'll have a whole set of similar concepts with better execution.

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
dekonstruct wrote:I would get this for my wife who's opening a coffee shop soon, and could use all the coffee related tees available.


Thanks! If You need any help just let me know...i can print as well...of corse not this one...but seriously i would love to help you guy in any way with your buisness! Thanks agian!!

bellyup13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellyup13
Re: Coffee Stains!


I love this shirt and would probably wear it out in a month! heh. GREAT design! GMV!

Icy13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Icy13
Re: Coffee Stains!


Not white please! White tshirts are impossible to pull of well because they always come out looking cheap

Love design to death though. Maybe on a light mocha color or tan?

ack154


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ack154
Re: Coffee Stains!

If I drank coffee I'd be all over this. Excellent design!

soulxside


quality posts: 1 Private Messages soulxside
Re: Coffee Stains!


It's a great looking shirt and a good idea - but I'm wondering if you used some of the coffee stain or splatter photoshop brushes that are available out there and if any of them require you to credit them. You may want to check into it.

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
Icy13 wrote:Not white please! White tshirts are impossible to pull of well because they always come out looking cheap

Love design to death though. Maybe on a light mocha color or tan?


I totally agree with you...i tried it one the other light tee woot has...just didn't have the same effect. An off white or natural would work great! Thanks for the comments!

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
soulxside wrote:It's a great looking shirt and a good idea - but I'm wondering if you used some of the coffee stain or splatter photoshop brushes that are available out there and if any of them require you to credit them. You may want to check into it.


Thank so much...I appreciate the love!!

jennal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jennal
Re: Coffee Stains!


Ovaltina, my goat i want a soda stains one =[ since i dont drink coffeee

capttylor34


quality posts: 0 Private Messages capttylor34
jahrpm wrote:Thank so much...I appreciate the love!!


Really great design. The rings look great, really get the idea across sucessfully.

Spiteless


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spiteless

I actually agree. White shirts don't really work so well anymore.

DavidShenoda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: Coffee Stains!


Very Cool Design, but a little too messy looking for my taste. Great job, and keep it up.

Lhymes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhymes
Re: Coffee Stains!


Cool design, but ugly.

Keelmy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy
Re: Coffee Stains!


In the fog again Jahrpm! Ha! Well done sir.You must let me in on your secret.

[/url]

MockingbirdSymphony


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MockingbirdSymphony

Cool. Makes me wish I liked coffee so wearing the shirt would actually make sense. Of course, I could just get it anyway and it would be an interesting conversation piece.

"Nice shirt, how do you like your coffee?"
"I don't, I just liked the shirt."

Either way...I'll vote for it. llo

piratedave78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages piratedave78
Re: Coffee Stains!

I cannot, in good conscience, vote for this artist. He's "voted" for almost every shirt in this derby,even one that had NO votes until I logged the first one. Currying favor for his own design perhaps?

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Icy13 wrote:Not white please! White tshirts are impossible to pull of well because they always come out looking cheap

Love design to death though. Maybe on a light mocha color or tan?

I wish woot had a light mocha or tan. -_-'


yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
piratedave78 wrote:I cannot, in good conscience, vote for this artist. He's "voted" for almost every shirt in this derby,even one that had NO votes until I logged the first one. Currying favor for his own design perhaps?


I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this. I stopped counting at sixty shirts he said he voted on.

curb1510


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510
Re: Coffee Stains!


Congratulations, you've actually got me thinking about Christmas gifts with this one. Maybe this year I'll be done before Dec. 24th.
Great shirt.

curb1510


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510
piratedave78 wrote:I cannot, in good conscience, vote for this artist. He's "voted" for almost every shirt in this derby,even one that had NO votes until I logged the first one. Currying favor for his own design perhaps?


Just saw this, am not certain what you mean. Maybe if I wasn't such a fickle customer I'd get it. Do you mind explaining?

curb1510


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510
AdderXYU wrote:Buy her a pack of white shirts. In a month she'll have a whole set of similar concepts with better execution.


What's with the constant bitterness? It's becoming too predictable and when that happens people either ignore you or, like me, want to trash, not only your comments, but also your designs.
Instead, I am taking a deep breath and holding back because I do believe you have some decent observations to make. I would appreciate something more enlightening than flippant, negative remarks. You've certainly demonstrated a dedication to the site and the considerable regard you have for design in other threads. I know you have no obligation to take this under consideration, but I would much prefer to read your more thoughtful feedback.
Just think about it before you reply.

piratedave78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages piratedave78
curb1510 wrote:Just saw this, am not certain what you mean. Maybe if I wasn't such a fickle customer I'd get it. Do you mind explaining?


If you read the individual shirt threads, he has given his vote to almost every shirt. One shirt that "got his vote" (according to the thread), had 0 votes until I voted for it 4 hours after he posted. I'll probably get vilified for this, but saying you are voting for a shirt and then not actually voting for it is just wrong. Makes me question his sincere liking for any of the shirts he says he voted for, and his reasoning for doing so.

moviewatcher


quality posts: 1 Private Messages moviewatcher
Re: Coffee Stains!


Well, new to woot and shirt.woot. Of the two I voted for, this is the one I'd be more likely to wear, if I were a coffee lover. I agree with the color comments of others, an off-white shirt would be nicer, if available.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Coffee Stains!


It's a nice splatter effect. Did you do it by hand or did you use a brush? Props if you did it by hand. I am also not angered if you did it with a brush. I reserve my anger for slow people and children with sticky hands that touch my stuff.


yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
curb1510 wrote:Just saw this, am not certain what you mean. Maybe if I wasn't such a fickle customer I'd get it. Do you mind explaining?


I was going through the "Discuss these derby entries" link and noticed his name popping up a lot. (I made a quick comment on it here.) I just now went through all 30 existing pages of replies, and he gave a "GMV" to 160 different shirts. Currently, there's 187 shirts on the main derby page.

Suppose each of these people, especially the newer ones or those whose shirts aren't doing so well, appreciated the support and positive feedback and figured they'd return the favor when they noticed they were looking at his design... it'd be a pretty quick boost to your vote count, right?

I personally just find it strange that somebody would be so enamored of 85% of the designs that they'd say they'd want it if it was for sale. Heaven forbid that woot go crazy someday and decide they'd print every derby entry... would he really buy all 160? I don't think so.

Lhymes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhymes
Re: Coffee Stains!


I really hope this one doesn't make it. Seriously, it's a well-done job from an art standpoint, but it isn't a good looking shirt. I also detest white shirts as I can buy nice ones in 3-packs for about $9.

Lhymes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhymes
piratedave78 wrote:I cannot, in good conscience, vote for this artist. He's "voted" for almost every shirt in this derby,even one that had NO votes until I logged the first one. Currying favor for his own design perhaps?


It's funny you bring this up, cause I noticed that yesterday, but I didn't realize the guy was a submitter. He has definitely trolled his way onto practically every submission and made an over-enthusiastic comment saying that he's given his vote. I'm in no way a conspiracy theorist, however, there's definitely something funny going on here.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Lhymes wrote:It's funny you bring this up, cause I noticed that yesterday, but I didn't realize the guy was a submitter. He has definitely trolled his way onto practically every submission and made an over-enthusiastic comment saying that he's given his vote. I'm in no way a conspiracy theorist, however, there's definitely something funny going on here.


I'm glad that people who don't follow the derby forums as closely as others are noticing this and the designers that have been angered by his numerous posts haven't had to be the ones pointing this out to the designers, voters, and consumers.
160 comments of 'Great! GMV!'... Even the most agreeable palate would have negated shirts due to content choice, over use of a shirt/design color, or even shirts that seemingly follow the rules... only to look around a little to see they are indeed using fonts. The only thing I can figure is that he is banking on those who feel, if you get a nice comment from a designer on their design, they should do the same for the person who took that effort to be so 'kind'. The problem with this is, as PirateDave states, "He's 'voted' for almost every shirt in this derby, even one that had NO votes until I logged the first one." I too had seen a few of these entries for shirts with no votes and was rather annoyed by it. I have a hard time believing his love for nearly every shirt in this and the last derby so I must come to the conclusion it's a way to drum up added appeal for his entries.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird

*sigh* He's at it again. Three more shirts got his vote....

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
JadenKale wrote:I'm glad that people who don't follow the derby forums as closely as others are noticing this and the designers that have been angered by his numerous posts haven't had to be the ones pointing this out to the designers, voters, and consumers.
160 comments of 'Great! GMV!'... Even the most agreeable palate would have negated shirts due to content choice, over use of a shirt/design color, or even shirts that seemingly follow the rules... only to look around a little to see they are indeed using fonts. The only thing I can figure is that he is banking on those who feel, if you get a nice comment from a designer on their design, they should do the same for the person who took that effort to be so 'kind'. The problem with this is, as PirateDave states, "He's 'voted' for almost every shirt in this derby, even one that had NO votes until I logged the first one." I too had seen a few of these entries for shirts with no votes and was rather annoyed by it. I have a hard time believing his love for nearly every shirt in this and the last derby so I must come to the conclusion it's a way to drum up added appeal for his entries.


Not really, those on here that know me personally know that i chose to be positve and encourage rather tear down someone for trying their hardest and doing their best...i appreciate that...i even appreciate the time that you took to point this out to all the other designers in the derby...Thanks!!

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
curb1510 wrote:What's with the constant bitterness? It's becoming too predictable and when that happens people either ignore you or, like me, want to trash, not only your comments, but also your designs.
Instead, I am taking a deep breath and holding back because I do believe you have some decent observations to make. I would appreciate something more enlightening than flippant, negative remarks. You've certainly demonstrated a dedication to the site and the considerable regard you have for design in other threads. I know you have no obligation to take this under consideration, but I would much prefer to read your more thoughtful feedback.
Just think about it before you reply.


Wow!!! I so appreciate your coments!! Thanks for being a light in here!!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
curb1510 wrote:What's with the constant bitterness? It's becoming too predictable and when that happens people either ignore you or, like me, want to trash, not only your comments, but also your designs.
Instead, I am taking a deep breath and holding back because I do believe you have some decent observations to make. I would appreciate something more enlightening than flippant, negative remarks. You've certainly demonstrated a dedication to the site and the considerable regard you have for design in other threads. I know you have no obligation to take this under consideration, but I would much prefer to read your more thoughtful feedback.
Just think about it before you reply.


Condensed: You really like coffee and think wearing a stain on your chest will look good

I am bitter because woot does not allow another option. If you feel lashing out is a mature way to counter my opinions, I cannot stop you, but I see no reason to measure my words further than I do already when the majority of people around here don't take a moment to deliberate where they are allowing $1000 to go.

Hoffpa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hoffpa
Re: Coffee Stains!


I would buy it in a second if it is not on a white shirt. Cream would be real nice.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
jahrpm wrote:Not really, those on here that know me personally know that i chose to be positve and encourage rather tear down someone for trying their hardest and doing their best...i appreciate that...i even appreciate the time that you took to point this out to all the other designers in the derby...Thanks!!


Being positive and encouraging is nice, but it's not necessary to vote, or say you're voting, a shirt if you're not. It's perfectly fine to just say "awesome design/great artwork/etc" without "GMV"ing it. Besides, when you vote for every single entry, how is the artist supposed to know if you really like it or if its just meaningless feedback since you vote every freakin shirt on here? I give positive feedback on the shirts I like, remain silent or offer suggestions on those I don't, and reserve my votes for the shirts I would wish to purchase if they were to win. Otherwise, there's no point in voting at all.

Hoffpa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hoffpa
Re: Coffee Stains!


I would buy it in a second if it is not on a white shirt. Cream would be real nice.

iris420


quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
yankeebird wrote:*sigh* He's at it again. Three more shirts got his vote....


Oh man, I really don't want to be a part of the brouhaha, but yeah, the guy is pretty darn insincere. I noticed and was annoyed, and then further annoyed buy the fact that I was annoyed. Plus, the shirt is fugs.

Carpe shirtem!

Lhymes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhymes
jahrpm wrote:Not really, those on here that know me personally know that i chose to be positve and encourage rather tear down someone for trying their hardest and doing their best...i appreciate that...i even appreciate the time that you took to point this out to all the other designers in the derby...Thanks!!


"...Thanks!!" What a friggen d.bag comment. Oh man do I want Woot to pull this shirt down bad.

MostBestestBuddy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MostBestestBuddy
Re: Coffee Stains!


As someone who puts in a lot of time and doesn’t often get too much attention, I feel special when someone says something nice about my work (so sincerely not begging for compliments). I noticed that jahrpm gave a lot of people nice comments, but it still made me feel good and I didn’t think that people should be giving him a hard time even if he seemed to be campaigning. My main thought behind this was that he didn’t link to his design in his sig, so it didn’t seem like he was promoting, and maybe he just spends a lot of time on shirt.woot and wanted to pass on encouragement. But if as some people are convincingly suggesting he was in fact insincere and lying about voting, then I am hurt. Well I think this is the longest comment I have ever posted, but for some silly reason I really care about this.

piratedave78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages piratedave78
jahrpm wrote:Not really, those on here that know me personally know that i chose to be positve and encourage rather tear down someone for trying their hardest and doing their best...i appreciate that...i even appreciate the time that you took to point this out to all the other designers in the derby...Thanks!!


Now I'm angry. It's fine to be encouraging, but to LIE about voting for a shirt? How DARE you?

piratedave78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages piratedave78
piratedave78 wrote:Now I'm angry. It's fine to be encouraging, but to LIE about voting for a shirt? How DARE you?


And HOW is it encouraging to tell an artist "GMV" when you don't even bother to actually VOTE FOR THE SHIRT?????

Paradox55


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paradox55
jahrpm wrote:Not really, those on here that know me personally know that i chose to be positve and encourage rather tear down someone for trying their hardest and doing their best...i appreciate that...i even appreciate the time that you took to point this out to all the other designers in the derby...Thanks!!


If I were a designer, I would personally find it insulting, not encouraging, to be told that I had your vote, only to be lied to.

curb1510


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510

Interesting perspective. I've not delved too far into Woot's system of voting but it does seem rather odd that he would be soooo enamoured of that many shirts.

I take it from your name that you're an American and in election mode. You proabably don't need this but I do hope as many of you keep up the critical perspective in your country's fed. election...this effects the rest of us too.

curb1510


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510
yankeebird wrote:I was going through the "Discuss these derby entries" link and noticed his name popping up a lot. (I made a quick comment on it here.) I just now went through all 30 existing pages of replies, and he gave a "GMV" to 160 different shirts. Currently, there's 187 shirts on the main derby page.

Suppose each of these people, especially the newer ones or those whose shirts aren't doing so well, appreciated the support and positive feedback and figured they'd return the favor when they noticed they were looking at his design... it'd be a pretty quick boost to your vote count, right?

I personally just find it strange that somebody would be so enamored of 85% of the designs that they'd say they'd want it if it was for sale. Heaven forbid that woot go crazy someday and decide they'd print every derby entry... would he really buy all 160? I don't think so.


Interesting perspective. I've not delved too far into Woot's system of voting but it does seem rather odd that he would be soooo enamoured of that many shirts.

I take it from your name that you're an American and in election mode. You proabably don't need this but I do hope as many of you keep up the critical perspective in your country's fed. election...this effects the rest of us too.

curb1510


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510
AdderXYU wrote:Condensed: You really like coffee and think wearing a stain on your chest will look good

I am bitter because woot does not allow another option. If you feel lashing out is a mature way to counter my opinions, I cannot stop you, but I see no reason to measure my words further than I do already when the majority of people around here don't take a moment to deliberate where they are allowing $1000 to go.


I hardly think that referring to your capacity for decent critique and dedication is lashing out. I said I was holding myself back from lashing out of a sense of that I believe you have some really interesting things to say about design. Take a deep breath, read what I wrote again and realize that it's largely a compliment to your better self.

Kbag87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kbag87
Re: Coffee Stains!


GMV, this is my favorite so far!

bradyson


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bradyson
JadenKale wrote:I'm glad that people who don't follow the derby forums as closely as others are noticing this and the designers that have been angered by his numerous posts haven't had to be the ones pointing this out to the designers, voters, and consumers.
160 comments of 'Great! GMV!'... Even the most agreeable palate would have negated shirts due to content choice, over use of a shirt/design color, or even shirts that seemingly follow the rules... only to look around a little to see they are indeed using fonts. The only thing I can figure is that he is banking on those who feel, if you get a nice comment from a designer on their design, they should do the same for the person who took that effort to be so 'kind'. The problem with this is, as PirateDave states, "He's 'voted' for almost every shirt in this derby, even one that had NO votes until I logged the first one." I too had seen a few of these entries for shirts with no votes and was rather annoyed by it. I have a hard time believing his love for nearly every shirt in this and the last derby so I must come to the conclusion it's a way to drum up added appeal for his entries.


Yeah, I was excited when I received his or her comments at first, only to realize he/she has canvassed the subs with "sunshine-esque glowing remarks." I am glad that someone has the heart to post positive comments on EVERY submission; however, some of the submissions are obviously jokes and should be ignored or realized for a joke. For this reason, I feel I have no comments so far this week, because I cannot believe that the one I got so far is sincere.

I was introduced to Woot this summer and was immediately intrigued by the shirt derbies. I started entering subs a few weeks back during the Tiki derby after I observed the process for a few months. It looked fun and I began to recognize some of the “regulars” here. I am far from a professional designer or artist and my day job has nothing to do with drawing (except for doodling during meetings and drawing sketches to help people find their own asses.) While I don’t expect to win a derby, I do appreciate sincere comments on my entries and hope to improve my drawing skills. I was very happy to receive comments last week on my dragon including derekfilley’s constructive criticism that the dragon looked too static.

kjgmorgan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kjgmorgan
Re: Coffee Stains!


As a coffee drinker I do enjoy the shirt, but again I'm struggling with how it relates to the theme of Art as Text. This could just be brown paint. This is why it is not getting my vote and I would encourage others do the same.

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
MostBestestBuddy wrote:As someone who puts in a lot of time and doesn’t often get too much attention, I feel special when someone says something nice about my work (so sincerely not begging for compliments). I noticed that jahrpm gave a lot of people nice comments, but it still made me feel good and I didn’t think that people should be giving him a hard time even if he seemed to be campaigning. My main thought behind this was that he didn’t link to his design in his sig, so it didn’t seem like he was promoting, and maybe he just spends a lot of time on shirt.woot and wanted to pass on encouragement. But if as some people are convincingly suggesting he was in fact insincere and lying about voting, then I am hurt. Well I think this is the longest comment I have ever posted, but for some silly reason I really care about this.



My Wife would "SHOUT" in agreement that I spend most of my time on woot...even while watching TV...I know...SAD!

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
yankeebird wrote:Being positive and encouraging is nice, but it's not necessary to vote, or say you're voting, a shirt if you're not. It's perfectly fine to just say "awesome design/great artwork/etc" without "GMV"ing it. Besides, when you vote for every single entry, how is the artist supposed to know if you really like it or if its just meaningless feedback since you vote every freakin shirt on here? I give positive feedback on the shirts I like, remain silent or offer suggestions on those I don't, and reserve my votes for the shirts I would wish to purchase if they were to win. Otherwise, there's no point in voting at all.


But isn't the vote the Most engouraging way...it would be like putting someone's name on a trophy and then not giving it to them?

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
jahrpm wrote:But isn't the vote the Most engouraging way...it would be like putting someone's name on a trophy and then not giving it to them?


No, it's not. Notice the button says "I'd want this", not "I like this". Voting is to be used for shirts you'd want to purchase, not to tell the artist you like their work and to encourage them to keep submitting. The best way to do that is to leave them a comment, but voting isn't a necessary part of that. What you're doing is giving everybody the exact same trophy, thereby making each trophy meaningless. Plus, it makes your feedback absolutely reek of insincerity. If I were an artist and I saw a positive comment and vote, yeah, I'd be flattered. But if I then looked at other shirts, especially those whom I viewed as inferior to mine (and like it or not, there are designs of an inferior quality here with no hope of ever getting printed), and noticed you gave them the exact same positive feedback and vote, I would no longer put any stock in what you said about mine.

kyle6477


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyle6477
Re: Coffee Stains!


This is an amazing shirt. I'm already a big fan of coffee-themed shirts...this one takes the cake!

My Woots:

oodonutoo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oodonutoo
yankeebird wrote:No, it's not. Notice the button says "I'd want this", not "I like this". Voting is to be used for shirts you'd want to purchase, not to tell the artist you like their work and to encourage them to keep submitting. The best way to do that is to leave them a comment, but voting isn't a necessary part of that. What you're doing is giving everybody the exact same trophy, thereby making each trophy meaningless. Plus, it makes your feedback absolutely reek of insincerity. If I were an artist and I saw a positive comment and vote, yeah, I'd be flattered. But if I then looked at other shirts, especially those whom I viewed as inferior to mine (and like it or not, there are designs of an inferior quality here with no hope of ever getting printed), and noticed you gave them the exact same positive feedback and vote, I would no longer put any stock in what you said about mine.


but isn't the derby about competition? by providing positive comments he is encouraging designers to be in more derbies. it might cheapen his comment to you, but does it do the same to everybody? don't trash a guy just for being positive towards others. (there's a "take it back" vote button just so you all know.)

jahrpm, i think you're doing a pretty awesome design on these shirts. this is what the, 3rd shirt in the fog? and you've been submitting how long? pretty impresive. don't listen to all these dunky folks on the board. apparently other people like your work cause you're getting some votes.

bro3of4


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
jahrpm, in reply to Jadenkale, wrote:Not really, those on here that know me personally know that i chose to be positve and encourage rather tear down someone for trying their hardest and doing their best...i appreciate that...i even appreciate the time that you took to point this out to all the other designers in the derby...Thanks!!


jahrpm, in reply to Yankeebird, wrote:But isn't the vote the Most engouraging way...it would be like putting someone's name on a trophy and then not giving it to them?


Jahrpm, I'm not sure if you are truly sincere, if you are actually being facetious and ironic, or if you are simply gaming the system and drumming up votes for yourself. Are you running for office? Because that sounds like politician behavior to me. At the risk of feeding a potential troll, even though as a cynic I have an extremely hard time believing it; I will assume the first. When you comment on almost all the shirts with a one-liner and GMV, it makes any post you say and any vote you give (if you even give the vote you said you would) sound insincere, and hence, worthless to the person. Giving the GMV to everyone dilutes its value. If you offer the reasons why you liked the shirt, or even constructive criticism on how it could be improved, then the person would be getting something out of reading your comment. Would you want people giving you false encouragement as if you were a child that could not stand on your own?


piratedave78, about Jahrpm, wrote:If you read the individual shirt threads, he has given his vote to almost every shirt. One shirt that "got his vote" (according to the thread), had 0 votes until I voted for it 4 hours after he posted. I'll probably get vilified for this, but saying you are voting for a shirt and then not actually voting for it is just wrong. Makes me question his sincere liking for any of the shirts he says he voted for, and his reasoning for doing so.


If you are not actually voting for the shirts you gave a "GMV' to, then you are being an insincere [insert derogatory term here] regardless of your motive. At least vote for the shirts you say have Got Your Vote.

Voting should only be for those shirts that you would buy if they were available. If you like a shirt, but wouldn't get it, then leave the artist a comment. If you don't like a shirt, but see it's potential, point out what you think would make it better. If you don't like the shirt, don't comment or vote on it; no one will ever know. It's as simple as that.

'Scuse me while I get off my 'Sanctimony Soapbox (tm)'.

Your shirt isn't my cup of tea, but I think it's a pretty good execution. Like others have mentioned, I also think it would look better on a tan shirt.

db

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

alboneus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alboneus

Great idea/design, but I don't do white tees.

Before free market economy, we eat potato each night for dinner. Now we have much money. We eat two potato each night for dinner. And on happy days, we eat salted pork from can.

Siress


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siress
Re: Coffee Stains!


Love it! Make mine a Double Ristretto Venti Nonfat Organic Chocolate Brownie Frappuccino Extra Hot with Foam and Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended, thanks.

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
bro3of4 wrote:In reply to Jadenkale-

If you are not actually voting for the shirts you gave a "GMV' to, then you are being an insincere [insert derogatory term here] regardless of your motive. At least vote for the shirts you say have Got Your Vote.

Voting should only be for those shirts that you would buy if they were available. If you like a shirt, but wouldn't get it, then leave the artist a comment. If you don't like a shirt, but see it's potential, point out what you think would make it better. If you don't like the shirt, don't comment or vote on it; no one will ever know. It's as simple as that.

'Scuse me while I get off my 'Sanctimony Soapbox (tm)'.

Your shirt isn't my cup of tea, but I think it's a pretty good execution. Like others have mentioned, I also think it would look better on a tan shirt.

db


Hey bro...Thanks for the time to respond in such great detail...no I'm not a politician ...but I am a Minister, which is probably going to make comments worse now. I have been trying to be consistant on voting for those who i say i'm voting for...but seems i miss one. I tried to find that designers shirt but was unable to...because i would not want to be percieved as a lier. I know anyone could say this...but the votes I give are sincere...even though some may think otherwise. Thanks agian for your thoughts and comments. I am still a young derby member trying to learn the ropes. I will Try to do better in the future derbies to come. See you there!

ThaDuke


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ThaDuke
Re: Coffee Stains!


I don't understand all the whining. If you think that someone's gonna vote for a shirt just because they got a nice comment or think someone gave 'em a vote, you are r.e.t.a.r.d.e.d. Regardless of their vote, if I check out their submission and it's no good, then I'm not voting for it. And if you're the sad soul who had the time to open up every submission, even when you can tell it's not worthy or doesn't interest you from the thumbnail and actually read every comment, I'd say to you "get a life". Honestly, this is a great design and wouldn't be in the fog if it wasn't so. GMV!!

robopanda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages robopanda
Re: Coffee Stains!

YES!

"Being Asian Stunt my Growth..."
-me

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
jahrpm wrote:Hey bro...Thanks for the time to respond in such great detail...no I'm not a politician ...but I am a Minister, which is probably going to make comments worse now. I have been trying to be consistant on voting for those who i say i'm voting for...but seems i miss one. I tried to find that designers shirt but was unable to...because i would not want to be percieved as a lier. I know anyone could say this...but the votes I give are sincere...even though some may think otherwise. Thanks agian for your thoughts and comments. I am still a young derby member trying to learn the ropes. I will Try to do better in the future derbies to come. See you there!


So, if Woot decided to print every Derby shirt, you would BUY every shirt you have voted for? I seriously doubt it. The button says "I want it", not "I like it", or "hey, nice job, keep up the good work".

As for your shirt, I wouldn't buy it, so it doesn't get my vote.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

snarkygal wrote:So, if Woot decided to print every Derby shirt, you would BUY every shirt you have voted for? I seriously doubt it. The button says "I want it", not "I like it", or "hey, nice job, keep up the good work".

As for your shirt, I wouldn't buy it, so it doesn't get my vote.


I also find it strange that a "Minister" would be stealing clipart, suggest that he/she created the art and sold it to istockphoto, and then go on to call the person who posted the original a thief. Egregious typos, spamming threads, rampant clip art use, and now he's a minister. I think someone's just trying to push people's buttons.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
snarkygal wrote:So, if Woot decided to print every Derby shirt, you would BUY every shirt you have voted for? I seriously doubt it. The button says "I want it", not "I like it", or "hey, nice job, keep up the good work".

As for your shirt, I wouldn't buy it, so it doesn't get my vote.


It does say "I'd want one", not "I'll buy one for sure". I vote for some shirts that I might not eventually buy for a variety of reasons- including a sellout. I might be willing to pay $10 for a certain shirt, but not $15. I might decide it isn't in the budget this week, but I'd want it, even if I can't afford it. Personally, I vote for designs I like, and sometimes to support someone who I like that isn't getting the votes their design ought to be getting. I never automatically vote for someone.

-oh, and if he's voting for all those designs, then his vote has no real value to them, as he isn't being selective. Everyone just gets one more vote, but no-one gains on anyone else.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
tgentry wrote:I also find it strange that a "Minister" would be stealing clipart, suggest that he/she created the art and sold it to istockphoto, and then go on to call the person who posted the original a thief. Egregious typos, spamming threads, rampant clip art use, and now he's a minister. I think someone's just trying to push people's buttons.


Sounds like a minister to me!

A minister who is going to get a grand off a shirt that is actually bad enough for me to prefer Grow.

And people say woot doesn't need to Quality Check the derby. I still say that those people are the exact reason it's so important that they do.

bro3of4


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
tgentry wrote:I also find it strange that a "Minister" would be stealing clipart, suggest that he/she created the art and sold it to istockphoto, and then go on to call the person who posted the original a thief. Egregious typos, spamming threads, rampant clip art use, and now he's a minister. I think someone's just trying to push people's buttons.


Thanks TGentry, now I know which one he is. I didn't mean to feed the troll. Won't happen again.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

oodonutoo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages oodonutoo
AdderXYU wrote:Sounds like a minister to me!

A minister who is going to get a grand off a shirt that is actually bad enough for me to prefer Grow.

And people say woot doesn't need to Quality Check the derby. I still say that those people are the exact reason it's so important that they do.


You know, for someone who makes absolutely no shirts that seem moderately appealing to the eye, you really dis a lot of artists. And honestly, I don't uderstand what ya'll's problem with jahrpm is. I checked a lot of shirts that he has posted on with a GMV and all of them he has something positive to say about. He has not used just a single "GMV". Everytime he has pointed out some good refrence or idea in the art. I think some of you are simply too bitter about the fact he is doing well for such a new submitter.

llo. You are a funny person. You sir need to be a stand up comedian. Because so far you haven't said anything that can be truly taken seriously and/or influence the opinion of anyone.

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
oodonutoo wrote:You know, for someone who makes absolutely no shirts that seem moderately appealing to the eye, you really dis a lot of artists. And honestly, I don't uderstand what ya'll's problem with jahrpm is. I checked a lot of shirts that he has posted on with a GMV and all of them he has something positive to say about. He has not used just a single "GMV". Everytime he has pointed out some good refrence or idea in the art. I think some of you are simply too bitter about the fact he is doing well for such a new submitter.

llo. You are a funny person. You sir need to be a stand up comedian. Because so far you haven't said anything that can be truly taken seriously and/or influence the opinion of anyone.


I think you need to go back and read the comments again. He has a few stock comments he has used over and over. He hasn't made specific comments pertaining to the art on very many.

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Josephus wrote:It does say "I'd want one", not "I'll buy one for sure". I vote for some shirts that I might not eventually buy for a variety of reasons- including a sellout. I might be willing to pay $10 for a certain shirt, but not $15. I might decide it isn't in the budget this week, but I'd want it, even if I can't afford it. Personally, I vote for designs I like, and sometimes to support someone who I like that isn't getting the votes their design ought to be getting. I never automatically vote for someone.

-oh, and if he's voting for all those designs, then his vote has no real value to them, as he isn't being selective. Everyone just gets one more vote, but no-one gains on anyone else.



Joe, he stated he votes as a form of encouragement..that is what I was commenting on. But you always have to disagree with whatever I say, so you didn't get that. That is why I said the button says I want one, not "hey, nice job, keep up the good work".

With that said, I will go back to lurking, thoroughly disgusted.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
snarkygal wrote:Joe, he stated he votes as a form of encouragement..that is what I was commenting on. But you always have to disagree with whatever I say, so you didn't get that. That is why I said the button says I want one, not "hey, nice job, keep up the good work".

With that said, I will go back to lurking, thoroughly disgusted.


I guess I misunderstood what you were saying about his comments. having looked at more of them, I have to agree with you about them. If I do disagree with you all the time, and it is entirely possible, because I am often thoughtless and easily annoyed, then I'm sorry, and I will work on being less annoying and less of a jerk.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
jahrpm wrote:I have been trying to be consistant on voting for those who i say i'm voting for...but seems i miss one. I tried to find that designers shirt but was unable to...because i would not want to be percieved as a lier.

I find this very strange, because if you have voted for as many entries as you claim you have, you should be able to easily see from the main derby page which ones say "I'd want one" and "Take it back".

I again will emphasize that the idea of voting is to do it for the shirts you'd want to purchase, not to encourage the artist. That's what the feedback is for. When you vote for shirts you don't want to buy, it makes it harder for those of us who reserve our votes for the shirts we would want to buy. If I truly want one of those few shirts you DIDN'T vote on, and you bumped it into fourth by voting for a shirt you had no intention of purchasing, it's not fair. It's not fair to the audience who legitimately wanted to purchase the shirt, and it's not fair to the now-bumped artist who won't get printed. They don't get the exposure nor the money that comes with winning.

I think bro3of4 summed it up best so I'm going to requote him:

Voting should only be for those shirts that you would buy if they were available. If you like a shirt, but wouldn't get it, then leave the artist a comment. If you don't like a shirt, but see it's potential, point out what you think would make it better. If you don't like the shirt, don't comment or vote on it; no one will ever know. It's as simple as that.


On that note, I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record. It's pretty clear where I stand, so I'm going to do my best to be done with this topic.

piratedave78


quality posts: 0 Private Messages piratedave78
tgentry wrote:I also find it strange that a "Minister" would be stealing clipart, suggest that he/she created the art and sold it to istockphoto, and then go on to call the person who posted the original a thief. Egregious typos, spamming threads, rampant clip art use, and now he's a minister. I think someone's just trying to push people's buttons.


Wow, and to use Woot as an advertising medium to print and sell these marvels of clip-art designs of his....you go Rev Jahrpm!

kenney9226


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
Re: Coffee Stains!


I had an entry in derby #29 that was also a coffee stain. It came in 7th place.

Such is my luck.

I like this shirt and voted for it, but am torn because my attempt at a coffee stain derby entry came up short. Hopefully you won't have to feel that feeling, dude.

Good luck to you!

Keelmy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy
Re: Coffee Stains!


Wow, so much dramas.

I kinda got the vibe that jahrpm was being insincere once I saw he was tossing just about everyone a "GMV", the cynic in me also doubted he was giving as many votes as he claimed (as some of you pointed out, he said GMV to a few shirt that had no votes).

I also don't think he's gotten as many votes simply by saying GMV. He doesn't have his submission as his sig like most folks. I certainly didn't feel obligated to vote on this shirt (tho I did toss a friendly reply). A few of my friends actually like the design, me... I'm not gonna wear a stain on my chest.

If your gonna give folks enough credit to figure out that "Hey, that nice guy just voted on my shirt... which one is his submission? -hunt hunt hunt- /vote returned". then give people enough credit to figure out that he is being insincere, much in the same manner most of you (and myself) already have. I really do think that people just like this shirt.

Now as far as being told how he should vote, I think that's ridiculous. I don't care if this makes me unpopular amongst you veterans, but I will vote how I want, on how ever many different submissions I want. If woot really agreed with your own personal policies then they would limit the amount of votes I could hand out. I actually wish they would limit votes to four (and start everyone at +1 and remove the option of being able to vote on yourself) but that's a different argument.

TL;DR

I don't buy the jahrpm "GMV" hype either, but he should vote how he wants (or at least how he claims to).

[/url]

shortbusgus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shortbusgus
Re: Coffee Stains!


My goodness, what a hot button tee. I personally don't feel it, but I'm sure it has something to do with my dislike of coffee in general...unless made into a delicious ice cream treat.

Keep trying and keep creating, the only reason I come to woot is to view the art and buy the occassional tee, I think I'll stay out of the forums from now on and get my drama elsewhere as this thread has gotten nastier than a politcal campaign.

drayuh


quality posts: 1 Private Messages drayuh
soulxside wrote:It's a great looking shirt and a good idea - but I'm wondering if you used some of the coffee stain or splatter photoshop brushes that are available out there and if any of them require you to credit them. You may want to check into it.


I was wondering the same thing too. That would be a cheap way of winning a derby to me.

deebaser


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deebaser

great shirt. I love the concept/execution. Im in for one.

I love everything about this shirt.
I just can't see wearing it.
Also I dislike the color...
... and the graphic.
/end typical shirt.woot commenter (Csmos)

Lhymes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhymes
drayuh wrote:I was wondering the same thing too. That would be a cheap way of winning a derby to me.


Have you seen this guys other submissions before? He's all about the easy way- including, but not limited to, stealing clip art.

haydawn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages haydawn

yea it's clever but I'm not a fan of coffee so that means I'm not in love with the shirt. Besides there are far better ones then this designs!

notachance


quality posts: 0 Private Messages notachance
Re: Coffee Stains!


this totally should have won. one of the best shirts ive ever seen on this site, and it didn't even win! how frustrating.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail