Derby #63: Art as Text
+745

Can You Spell BRAAAINS!

Can You Spell BRAAAINS!
add a comment

Comments

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


this is my entry for this week. Oh My! the Zombies spell "ZOMBIES!!" hope you guys like it!

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


now this is a halloween theme shirt i would wear...for a long time!! GMV! Well done!

jahrpm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jahrpm
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


This won't take long to race up the ranks!!

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


The artwork on this is amazing. I feel dumb, but I can't make out the letters. Are they mixed up?

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
tgentry wrote:The artwork on this is amazing. I feel dumb, but I can't make out the letters. Are they mixed up?


tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

dsladek wrote:


Ah, thanks! I kept trying to read "Brains". Really nice!

Keelmy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


High quality stuff. This is a buy for me and bonus, I can wear this outside of Halloween.

[/url]

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!

While I really like it and voted for it, I would like just the big image in the back by itself. Of course this would not fall under the pesky rules of the derby, so I will stop typing now.



snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


I like this but did you design under the name "skaght" before? I ask because the hand (the I) looks identical to the one from this past Woot shirt http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=5120

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
snarkygal wrote:I like this but did you design under the name "skaght" before? I ask because the hand (the I) looks identical to the one from this past Woot shirt http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=5120


No I've always submitted under the same screen name. As far as it being similar, its just a hand, almost every zombie movie or illustration has used it (in that same position) at some point in time

enin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages enin

excellent illustration, as always, dsladek
got your fall shirt in the mail yesterday

the comp looks to be fairly outside of woot's printable area, however

been seeing this a lot in the derbies lately
it's misleading and unfortunate

Lhymes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhymes
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Been getting tired of gray on black, but this is wicked. Totally have my vote and hope it gets into the fog.

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
enin wrote:excellent illustration, as always, dsladek
got your fall shirt in the mail yesterday

the comp looks to be fairly outside of woot's printable area, however

been seeing this a lot in the derbies lately
it's misleading and unfortunate


actually I believe woot has expanded the printable area check out this design: http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=6718 I wouldn't worry about the placement, woot will adjust it if needed, it really isn't that off

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
dsladek wrote:actually I believe woot has expanded the printable area check out this design: http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=6718 I wouldn't worry about the placement, woot will adjust it if needed, it really isn't that off


Woot can choose to print dailies (or other shirts) at their own discretion regardless of the rules they set forth for the derbies. This is brought up EVERY TIME woot does something like this, be it gold foil, or gradients, or seam printing, or glow in the dark ink. Please do not take this as free roam on derby shirts. There are completely different rules and guidelines set forth for derby shirts for a reason.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
snarkygal wrote:I like this but did you design under the name "skaght" before? I ask because the hand (the I) looks identical to the one from this past Woot shirt http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=5120


They're very similar but not identical. I think the difference is most obvious when you look at the bend of each finger.

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
bluchez wrote: There are completely different rules and guidelines set forth for derby shirts for a reason.


like I said, it really isn't that much off. I am not trying to break the rules here, or upset anyone.

out of curiosity has woot really printed with specialty inks before, and can you request them if you design a daily? Because that would be awesome.

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
dsladek wrote:like I said, it really isn't that much off. I am not trying to break the rules here, or upset anyone.

out of curiosity has woot really printed with specialty inks before, and can you request them if you design a daily? Because that would be awesome.


I understand this, I was responding to your justification, not trying to imply anything about this design. Glow in the dark and gold foil have both been printed. I have no knowledge of why or when they would choose to use them.

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
bluchez wrote:I understand this, I was responding to your justification, not trying to imply anything about this design. Glow in the dark and gold foil have both been printed. I have no knowledge of why or when they would choose to use them.


cool, thanks! I'll have to email woot and see if they can be requested by the artist.

andrewg2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewg2
yankeebird wrote:They're very similar but not identical. I think the difference is most obvious when you look at the bend of each finger.


I agree, the hands are obviously of different origin. A hand coming out of the earth is completely cliche, thus it would be used other places, and is completely fitting in a shirt that spells "ZOMBIES".

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


A) I love zombie shirts
B) I love DS shirts
C) Just retracted my other two "I want one"s
D) Give me this shirt now.
E) Seriously. Right now.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
bluchez wrote:I understand this, I was responding to your justification, not trying to imply anything about this design. Glow in the dark and gold foil have both been printed. I have no knowledge of why or when they would choose to use them.


Where did that gold birthday shirt come from?!?!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

blammoed


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Wow this is fantastic. The giant grey zombie in the background really makes it for me.

enin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages enin
dsladek wrote:like I said, it really isn't that much off. I am not trying to break the rules here, or upset anyone.

out of curiosity has woot really printed with specialty inks before, and can you request them if you design a daily? Because that would be awesome.


your design is off substantially



the guidelines on the submission page have not changed since i can remember

Design Guidelines:

* Maximum 16" x 20" design dimensions
* Use our official shirt templates as a guide:
o PDF (0.2 MB)
o Adobe Illustrator (0.2 MB)
o Adobe Illustrator (with heather gray textures, zipped) (9.1 MB)
o Adobe Photoshop (27.7 MB), zipped (1.6 MB)
* Use Pantone Solid Coated color swatches for your design or else we will have to convert your colors
* Maximum of 6 spot colors
* Gradients and halftones are strongly discouraged (for now)


like i said before
it's misleading and unfortunate
it would be nice to all be playing on the same field

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
enin wrote:your design is off substantially



the guidelines on the submission page have not changed since i can remember

Design Guidelines:

* Maximum 16" x 20" design dimensions
* Use our official shirt templates as a guide:
o PDF (0.2 MB)
o Adobe Illustrator (0.2 MB)
o Adobe Illustrator (with heather gray textures, zipped) (9.1 MB)
o Adobe Photoshop (27.7 MB), zipped (1.6 MB)
* Use Pantone Solid Coated color swatches for your design or else we will have to convert your colors
* Maximum of 6 spot colors
* Gradients and halftones are strongly discouraged (for now)


like i said before
it's misleading and unfortunate
it would be nice to all be playing on the same field


if shirt woot cant print it they will reject it. or they will change it. I am sorry if I upset you before, it was not intentional.

Lhymes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhymes
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


If is has to be printed smaller, this shirt is still gonna be amazing. American apparel shirts are rather long and there's usually a few inches of gather at the waist. This shirt must rally!

Toasted7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Toasted7

This shirt MUST win... cause I want one!

captainlaurie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages captainlaurie
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


I can't even express how much this shirt is full of WIN.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


I'm speechless, DS! It's a good thing I can still type, though.

Utterly brilliant.

Please consider spelling out "ZOMBIE" on top rather than the bottom placement. I really dislike bottom placement, as it usually just get bunched up in the too-long American Apparel shirts and it's unreadable, unnoticed by everyone. On a shirt like this, that would be a tragedy.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


It's a really nice design. Really great detail and I like the lack of color. I can't wear a zombie shirt, though. I'm not that... hardcore? I think that's not the right word for what I mean at all. I dunno. Nice work, though.


illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
enin wrote:your design is off substantially



the guidelines on the submission page have not changed since i can remember


@enin:
The design template DID change a bit, this one below is the same design on woot's Adobe Illustrator template available on the submission page right now, where it's only off maybe an inch on the bottom and not as much as you pointed out. Either way, he can always reduce the size, resubmit and get voted up again without any trouble. It's still a good design.

marcriedel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcriedel

I know I'm not going to make any friends with this post, because I'm clearly the minority, but what the hell is it with wooters and zombies and bunnies? I swear, if a shirt has either of those on it (or god forbid both) it will win. It gets a little old.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
marcriedel wrote:I know I'm not going to make any friends with this post, because I'm clearly the minority, but what the hell is it with wooters and zombies and bunnies? I swear, if a shirt has either of those on it (or god forbid both) it will win. It gets a little old.


Personally, I love zombies. The bunnies: not so many bunnies around here....

Zombie movies are awesome, shirts are awesome, brains are awesome; it's just something a lot of us enjoy.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

drhank420


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drhank420

Re: poop


Love the zombies and yes... i'm ready and waiting for the attack. I'd pick those mother f' ers off all day.

Hank

Broadway2124


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Broadway2124

SICK!!! In a beautiful way ;)

vicqjames


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vicqjames
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Right when i say im not going to pick up another gray shirt, this one comes along, oi vay my closets going to be all gray woot shirts by the end of the year, i just know it.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


I think everything about this shirt is terrible. The design is outside of the stated printable area, a rule that everyone should be expected to follow even if they've been printed several times. The color choices are unnecessarily bad. The large expanse of light gray will print very thick and make the entire shirt rigid. The "Zombies" is barely legible, and outside of the context of the derby, few people will get it, not to mention the obvious meme pandering. And anyone who has any experience with design will tell you that a print that is narrow at the top and wide at the bottom will only serve to make you look wider as it draws attention to the stomach. How many people really want that much attention drawn to their gut?

I just want to go on the record as stating my honest opinion as well as my disappointment at its quick ascension through the ranks. There are many bad shirts submitted to the derby each week and most of them end up in the fog, but few are this offensively bad.

JPHans


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JPHans
ansharp wrote:I think everything about this shirt is terrible. The design is outside of the stated printable area, a rule that everyone should be expected to follow even if they've been printed several times. The color choices are unnecessarily bad. The large expanse of light gray will print very thick and make the entire shirt rigid. The "Zombies" is barely legible, and outside of the context of the derby, few people will get it, not to mention the obvious meme pandering. And anyone who has any experience with design will tell you that a print that is narrow at the top and wide at the bottom will only serve to make you look wider as it draws attention to the stomach. How many people really want that much attention drawn to their gut?

I just want to go on the record as stating my honest opinion as well as my disappointment at its quick ascension through the ranks. There are many bad shirts submitted to the derby each week and most of them end up in the fog, but few are this offensively bad.


Wow, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

I'm friends with David (DSaldek), and i agree that this is not one of his best designs. But to go as far as to call it "Offensively Bad"? And all the point of woot is for people to choose what they want to purchase. If it makes it to the fog that's because people want one. Hence the words "I Want One!" emblazoned on the vote button.

I don't see how your assertion that it is outside the context of the derby has any validity. It is an illustration that becomes text. Art as text. Those where the derby guidelines right? And it never said that there was no room for supplemental illustration. Thats not a violation of the rules, just a design decision.

Once the image is resided (something that woot could do easily after the derby if this won since they will get the vector) I can't find any violations of the rules or any reason to call it "Offensively Bad". You're just in a bad mood and felt like trolling a shirt site! Way to go Internet Bully!

Oh, and David is a human stick figure, so he is not too concerned with drawing attention to his non-gut.

Good Day,
:D

haydawn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages haydawn

I love this design...I would prefer the word ZOMBIES to be higher up so you can read it

capttylor34


quality posts: 0 Private Messages capttylor34
ansharp wrote:I think everything about this shirt is terrible. The design is outside of the stated printable area, a rule that everyone should be expected to follow even if they've been printed several times. The color choices are unnecessarily bad. The large expanse of light gray will print very thick and make the entire shirt rigid. The "Zombies" is barely legible, and outside of the context of the derby, few people will get it, not to mention the obvious meme pandering. And anyone who has any experience with design will tell you that a print that is narrow at the top and wide at the bottom will only serve to make you look wider as it draws attention to the stomach. How many people really want that much attention drawn to their gut?

I just want to go on the record as stating my honest opinion as well as my disappointment at its quick ascension through the ranks. There are many bad shirts submitted to the derby each week and most of them end up in the fog, but few are this offensively bad.


Sir there is a difference between disliking a design and coming out and being a complete a**hole to the artist. You have no right to come on to a design site and disrespect fellow artists because you dislike there aesthetic choices. This is a friendly website and a friendly community, and comments like yours are not appreciated. If you dislike a design, so be it, that's your right. In fact its your right to tell the artist what you dislike about the piece, but to call someone else's entry "offensively bad" for no reason other that you disagree with the design, is going to far. Not only are comments like this embarrassing yourself, but the community as a whole. The fact that the design is rising the ranks is because other people like the design and would like to purchase the shirt. Constructive criticism is appreciated when delivered in a friendly CONSTRUCTIVE fashion, and should be accepted by all artists to help them make better designs, however this is just plain up insulting.

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
JPHans wrote: David is a human stick figure.



llo!

JPHans


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JPHans
dsladek wrote:llo!


Its true! Shut up!

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
JPHans wrote:Its true! Shut up!


HaHAHa! I know.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
capttylor34 wrote:Sir there is a difference between disliking a design and coming out and being a complete a**hole to the artist. You have no right to come on to a design site and disrespect fellow artists because you dislike there aesthetic choices. This is a friendly website and a friendly community, and comments like yours are not appreciated. If you dislike a design, so be it, that's your right. In fact its your right to tell the artist what you dislike about the piece, but to call someone else's entry "offensively bad" for no reason other that you disagree with the design, is going to far. Not only are comments like this embarrassing yourself, but the community as a whole. The fact that the design is rising the ranks is because other people like the design and would like to purchase the shirt. Constructive criticism is appreciated when delivered in a friendly CONSTRUCTIVE fashion, and should be accepted by all artists to help them make better designs, however this is just plain up insulting.


You and your friends can look at my total posts and look into my reputation and see that I'm not a troll. As I stated, there are many bad entries and many that get printed that I hold my tongue about or offer constructive criticism. For me to get offended over a design is a rare thing, but this design was distasteful to me from the moment I saw it. SO, instead of secretly hating it, I decided to post here and clearly point out why I find it offensive to MY sense of aesthetics. Did I say other people should be offended? No, but I am. If people are allowed to stop by and say "Hey, I love zombies, so you GMV," then I should be allowed to say "Hey, I don't like this shirt for these following reasons..." without everyone getting all up in a puff about it. Perhaps if the artist didn't have a history of negativity and elitism, I would have felt being nice and making suggestions would work. That, however, is not the case. If stating my honest opinion in the way I see best makes me an "a**hole" as you so eloquently put it, then so be it. Please attack and insult me with more poor spelling and incorrect grammar. I will not respond because it will get us nowhere.

By the way, I'm not a sir.

Tankmonkey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tankmonkey
ansharp wrote:You and your friends can look at my total posts and look into my reputation and see that I'm not a troll. As I stated, there are many bad entries and many that get printed that I hold my tongue about or offer constructive criticism. For me to get offended over a design is a rare thing, but this design was distasteful to me from the moment I saw it. SO, instead of secretly hating it, I decided to post here and clearly point out why I find it offensive to MY sense of aesthetics. Did I say other people should be offended? No, but I am. If people are allowed to stop by and say "Hey, I love zombies, so you GMV," then I should be allowed to say "Hey, I don't like this shirt for these following reasons..." without everyone getting all up in a puff about it. Perhaps if the artist didn't have a history of negativity and elitism, I would have felt being nice and making suggestions would work. That, however, is not the case. If stating my honest opinion in the way I see best makes me an "a**hole" as you so eloquently put it, then so be it. Please attack and insult me with more poor spelling and incorrect grammar. I will not respond because it will get us nowhere.

By the way, I'm not a sir.


Well then Madam,
if you're recorded example of elitism so negative and vile as you put it, then how is it right to retaliate to such an act with more of the same. I submit to you, that associating triangular compositions and large gray areas with zombies is no more offensive than associating rainbows and bright colors with pleasantly upbeat people.


JPHans


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JPHans
ansharp wrote:You and your friends can look at my total posts and look into my reputation and see that I'm not a troll. As I stated, there are many bad entries and many that get printed that I hold my tongue about or offer constructive criticism. For me to get offended over a design is a rare thing, but this design was distasteful to me from the moment I saw it. SO, instead of secretly hating it, I decided to post here and clearly point out why I find it offensive to MY sense of aesthetics. Did I say other people should be offended? No, but I am. If people are allowed to stop by and say "Hey, I love zombies, so you GMV," then I should be allowed to say "Hey, I don't like this shirt for these following reasons..." without everyone getting all up in a puff about it. Perhaps if the artist didn't have a history of negativity and elitism, I would have felt being nice and making suggestions would work. That, however, is not the case. If stating my honest opinion in the way I see best makes me an "a**hole" as you so eloquently put it, then so be it. Please attack and insult me with more poor spelling and incorrect grammar. I will not respond because it will get us nowhere.

By the way, I'm not a sir.


I don't get a scathing rebuke?

Now I fell left out.

JPHans


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JPHans
JPHans wrote:I don't get a scathing rebuke?

Now I fell left out.


err... "feel" left out.

Though i would correct that or people may start mistaking me for Jeff. That guy has terrible spelling and grammar. Gosh...

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
ansharp wrote:You and your friends can look at my total posts and look into my reputation and see that I'm not a troll. As I stated, there are many bad entries and many that get printed that I hold my tongue about or offer constructive criticism. For me to get offended over a design is a rare thing, but this design was distasteful to me from the moment I saw it. SO, instead of secretly hating it, I decided to post here and clearly point out why I find it offensive to MY sense of aesthetics. Did I say other people should be offended? No, but I am. If people are allowed to stop by and say "Hey, I love zombies, so you GMV," then I should be allowed to say "Hey, I don't like this shirt for these following reasons..." without everyone getting all up in a puff about it. Perhaps if the artist didn't have a history of negativity and elitism, I would have felt being nice and making suggestions would work. That, however, is not the case. If stating my honest opinion in the way I see best makes me an "a**hole" as you so eloquently put it, then so be it. Please attack and insult me with more poor spelling and incorrect grammar. I will not respond because it will get us nowhere.

By the way, I'm not a sir.


I can't remember the exact goings-on when ds made those comments, but from what I've observed in the derbies, those remarks would be the exception and not the norm. For the most part, he's been a nice guy around here. Perhaps he's displayed "negativity and elitism" a couple times in the past, but I certainly don't think he's had an entire history of it.

(Edit: Ok, my memory may be a bit fuzzy so maybe there were more of those comments than I remember, but I feel that ds is a nice guy now, even if he acted like a jerk in the past...)

I agree that it's entirely within your rights to dislike this shirt, and I'd especially like to point out that you gave reasons for it, which is much better than the hundreds of genuinely hateful and unconstructive comments that get dropped in these forums. ansharp is definitely not a troll.

As to your concerns specifically - the printable area and the overall shape are really the only ones I agree with. Colours could have been better, but it's not that bad IMO. The only large expanse of ink is lower on the shirt so I don't think it would be as big a problem, and the ink-coverage problem isn't any worse than some other recent prints.

I saw the word "Zombie" right away and I don't see how this one makes any less sense outside the context of the derby than any other submission thus far. What is there to get? tgentry's "52 Pickup!" is one of my favourites in the derby because I'm an avid card player, but it suffers even more from "legibility". Spin it a different way and it's a positive - it's subtle. I don't think anyone would, from a glance, "get" the card shirt outside the context of the derby.

Memes are memes. Meh.

I absolutely agree that submissions outside the printing boundaries should be rejected right away. I also agree that the placement is a bit... strange and unflattering.

I do applaud ds for his unique (if meme-ish) application of the humans-forming-letters idea. The zombie positions don't look contrived at all and form very recognizable letters (to me, at least). Personally, I'm not a big fan of zombie shirts. Speaking of which, I should really put my Zombie Hunting up on tee trade...

So, uhhh, in conclusion - I think ansharp was relatively respectful in her comment (have you guys been paying attention to all the carp comments on woot?) and even though I don't agree with most of her points, I still think she is a great person. I like this design (though not enough to buy it) and I think it should be resized to within boundaries and resubmitted.

Now to see how many people I offended in my attempt at staying neutral...



illuminator wrote:@enin:
The design template DID change a bit, this one below is the same design on woot's Adobe Illustrator template available on the submission page right now.



Woah... seriously? Woot didn't announce any changes to the template (or am I blind?) so I've been assuming that I have the most recent version. The bounding box on my template is nowhere near that large.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

capttylor34


quality posts: 0 Private Messages capttylor34
JPHans wrote:err... "feel" left out.

Though i would correct that or people may start mistaking me for Jeff. That guy has terrible spelling and grammar. Gosh...


jerk, so I'm terrible at spelling , give me a break.

ciro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ciro

I don't think there is anything wrong with not liking a design, or really anything for that matter. Although, I do think that the criticism should stay more on the constructive side. Since this site should be a community of sorts, we should be respectful of peoples entries, even when offering criticism. Being tasteful never goes out of style.

ciro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ciro

...

Babylonian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Babylonian
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


this is my favorite design ever.

capttylor34


quality posts: 0 Private Messages capttylor34
eHalcyon wrote:Woah... seriously? Woot didn't announce any changes to the template (or am I blind?) so I've been assuming that I have the most recent version. The bounding box on my template is nowhere near that large.


Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the idea of criticism, but i feel that ansharp chose the wrong language when she critiqued the design. Her points are valid, but the way she delivered them was very rude in my opinion. In fact I love hearing critique, i just wish she wouldn't have worded it in a way that, i view, is quite spiteful towards the artist. I also want to state that i understand that ansharp isn't trolling, especially since she has posted over 1300 times on this site, and i'm sure has seen much worse comments made on other pieces. However i disagree with the idea that that because she wasn't nearly bad as other post that it was the best way to get her opinion across, because we are now attempting to defend one another, rather than talking about the piece.

I also would like to apologize if my comment earlier offended you ansharp.

tabrazinski


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski

i hate zombies. really. but i think this is well done, so good luck. also, i don't have a problem with the placement, but maybe i'm in the minority on this one.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
capttylor34 wrote:I also would like to apologize if my comment earlier offended you ansharp.


We'll let our disagreements lie. Everything important has been said already.

It takes a great deal more to offend me personally, and trust me, my honesty and bluntness have gotten me called much worse.

Keelmy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Hope you don't mind but I actually voted down your Octopus in the hopes that it helps to secure this shirt once it gets in the fog (If it gets into the fog /fingers crossed). I promise to revote for the Octopus if it falls out of the fog.

Not to fan the flames but I don't see much to be offended in this shirt. To each their own I guess.

Can anyone tell me what does "meme" stand for? I have no guess this time.

[/url]

cwarrington


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwarrington

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


This shirts' comments doesn't have nearly enough hugs...

Be sure to use the 'Tattle' button if you feel any design is outside of the rules of the derby.

surferkevins


quality posts: 0 Private Messages surferkevins
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


I have bought several shirts here, but I have never voted for one until now. This shirt is pure genius.

chickaboogawah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chickaboogawah

I love the M and the B! GMV!

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
surferkevins wrote:I have bought several shirts here, but I have never voted for one until now. This shirt is pure genius.


Agree. Genius.
The body placements are something that a zombie would actually look like (yes, I know about this........but I can't talk about it...)

akaboulos


quality posts: 3 Private Messages akaboulos
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


In the fog! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

shaivya555


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaivya555

GRRRRR ASPHALT :'(

Seriously there are better colors out there people. It may look great in the image
but the actual asphalt shirts are hideous.

JRuegg


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JRuegg

The zombies spelling zombie are amazing. I love them. If just the lettering were placed on the chest I would buy the shirt in a second. (I tend to tuck in my shirts so the zombies would be lost. )

Also, I don't quite get the chainsaw. It's just sitting there amidst the zombies.

Great job.

Tahoe85


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tahoe85
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!

I like the creativity of the shirt - obviously lots of thought and talent went into it.

I wouldn't buy one for myself - zombies aren't my thing. But I know many people who would.

I also agree that having the lettering up higher would have been nice.

Overall, very good job, IMHO.

jdarb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdarb

this is really awesome...

i can't seem to figure out how to vote? i remember in days past there was a I'd Wear This button or something of the sort. Why don't I see this?

JRuegg


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JRuegg
jdarb wrote:this is really awesome...

i can't seem to figure out how to vote? i remember in days past there was a I'd Wear This button or something of the sort. Why don't I see this?


The account which is logged in must have purchased at least one item. Your account says "No woots".

kwthornfield


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwthornfield

Cool design but the letters are really hard to read. I doubt anyone would recognize the word "zombies" just by looking at the shirt.

Gessepi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gessepi

I had the same idea for a zombie shirt, but due to the fact this is so much cooler GMV.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


yay, in the fog!

Keelmy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Go zombie go go go!

[/url]

jjchampion


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jjchampion

If this one stays in the top 3, it'll be the first time in months that I buy a derby shirt.

zockerwurf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zockerwurf
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Dude, that's awesome. How do you (also the other guys) create something like this? Drawing by hand? With the computer? It's really amazing.

shortbusgus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shortbusgus
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Definitely in for at least 2 if this makes it, com'on baby, com'on!

kixxster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kixxster
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


fecking awesome!!! this is one of the best [if not *the* best] zombie shirts i've seen on woot. hope this makes it!




mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


very interesting design.

I'm curious to see how this prints (if it does), as my asphalt shirts with grey and black on them really don't show up well.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

deebaser


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deebaser

out of the fog....noooooooooooooooo

I love everything about this shirt.
I just can't see wearing it.
Also I dislike the color...
... and the graphic.
/end typical shirt.woot commenter (Csmos)

halomod


quality posts: 0 Private Messages halomod
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


this should win. i want 5

TheBeast13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheBeast13

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
deebaser wrote:out of the fog....noooooooooooooooo


nope!

back in the fog, and gaining more and more votes!

It will be very interesting between 3rd, 4th, and 5th place votes this week!!!

hmmxkrazee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


I've always thought of you as a great illustrator ds and I hope you don't feel the way you did in some of your earlier linked comments because that'd be a tragedy. I even called you the next Cho.. the irony.

Anyways, I don't think the printing guidelines is that much of an issue really. Woot has always been able to print pretty large areas and most people should figure out when a design placement is possible or not based on past Woot shirts and decisions.

claraoc


quality posts: 1 Private Messages claraoc
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Sweet- this fogged! Despite my abundance of asphalt shirts and general dislike of zombie designs, I really like this one. Great job, dsladek!

Lhymes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lhymes
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Really looking forward to buying this!

akaboulos


quality posts: 3 Private Messages akaboulos
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


This shirt makes me want to kill zombies so freakin' bad!

I love killing ZOMBIES!!!!!!!

dsladek


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsladek
hmmxkrazee wrote:I've always thought of you as a great illustrator ds and I hope you don't feel the way you did in some of your earlier linked comments because that'd be a tragedy.


I don't feel the way i used to about a lot of things here on woot and I regret being so brash in the past with my opinions. from now on if i don't like a design I simple don't vote on it or bash it. and I leave it at that. only if I have something positive or constructive to say I will post. we all make mistakes, and I am sorry if I ripped on artists in the past for designs I don't like, just because I don't like it doesn't mean others don't like it.

thankyou every one who has voted and commented!

siguewoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages siguewoot
marcriedel wrote:I know I'm not going to make any friends with this post, because I'm clearly the minority, but what the hell is it with wooters and zombies and bunnies? I swear, if a shirt has either of those on it (or god forbid both) it will win. It gets a little old.


Someone should design a "zombie bunny" shirt. It could be a big seller.

JustJiggles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


Whoopee! We just don't see enough Asphalt round here.

caligoacheron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages caligoacheron
dsladek wrote:this is my entry for this week. Oh My! the Zombies spell "ZOMBIES!!" hope you guys like it!


a great shirt. i hope it wins i cant wait to give you my money for this. *giggles*

kylaria77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kylaria77
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


LOVE THIS. Perfect for Halloween, and you can wear it year around.

rjorgy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjorgy
Re: Can You Spell BRAAAINS!


this shirt is amazing

--
pablo

remotelyco


quality posts: 0 Private Messages remotelyco
siguewoot wrote:Someone should design a "zombie bunny" shirt. It could be a big seller.


siguewoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages siguewoot
remotelyco wrote:


L-O-L That's great! sold out too...

yvonnelau


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yvonnelau

really nice :] good job and keep up the good work

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail