Derby #69: Miniature Worlds
+952

Pocket Dinosaur

Pocket Dinosaur
add a comment

Comments

tommyt827


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tommyt827
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Nice job. The eraser and teeth marks in the pencil were a nice touch. GMV.

peppersagooddog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
Re: Pocket Dinosaur




the look on its face just kills me man.

Discobiscuits


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


dammit. i thought you were gone for good

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Awww.. You're back and I love it!!!

dekonstruct


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Oh maaaaan, cho's back. Well I might as well give up again. ;)

DavidShenoda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I like how you used the halftone. It's almost subtle but not - in a good way. Cool Design.

Wonderbunny


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Love the teeth marks on the pencil and the dinosaur eraser top!

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Awww man, a pocket shirt? I'm glad to see Cho back, but I really don't like pocket shirts.

Stuntdummy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stuntdummy
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


my only criticism is that its hard to tell that its a stegosaurus on the pencil. It looks like a flower at first. But the look on his face is perfect.

vertigosia


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vertigosia
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


The stegosaurus eraser's what sells this for me. <3

obexicis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages obexicis
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Love it!

AttilaTheMom


quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Yay James!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

dogchainedtoapost


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dogchainedtoapost

Pocket shirts are weak. I like the art work on this, Cho, but pocket shirts must end.

fofmock


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fofmock
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


heh, if only a little dino could come around with you like that.... Hes cute, I want one!

AnnaJo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages AnnaJo
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Super sweet! i was hoping this would get up there, laughed my a** off the first time i saw it!

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


This is great, Cho.

Right now I'm wearing Baha, I has Nets, too!

It told me to vote for this.

NonDescript


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonDescript
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


i llo'd

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


weird in a cool way. Love the feet poking out of the bottom of the pocket.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
dogchainedtoapost wrote:Pocket shirts are weak. I like the art work on this, Cho, but pocket shirts must end.


I disagree. I think there is a place for pocket shirts. I did think it might be too soon to have one again, but weak? No. Must end? No. And it looks like plenty of wooters are ready for one right now.


badTchap


quality posts: 0 Private Messages badTchap
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


This is so rad. Love all the greens working together. Subtle, catchy, perfect!

vivosinemetu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vivosinemetu

Why is a pocket dinosaur funny? Am I missing a joke here?

greenriverdog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenriverdog
vivosinemetu wrote:Why is a pocket dinosaur funny? Am I missing a joke here?


Why not funny? A dinosaur in your pocket chewing on your pencil! I love it!

Ive totally been a sucker for the dino shirts lately! I would definitely be tempted here!

iris420


quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I would not personally wear this, so it does not GMV, but if it wins, I bet I'll end up getting one for my niece. Damn those kid sizes. Great job Cho.

Carpe shirtem!

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Awesome! Love the Stegosaurus pencil top/eraser. gmv

phoenixgirrl


quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


he's just so darned cute! the eraser is just too great, and your eye for detail is fabulous!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Sorry. I don't think that this is great at all. I think that Mr. Cho has art skills but I don't see them here. It is a simple design following the pocket fish, and I think that there are much better (artistry wise) entries in this derby.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

treebirdoctopus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages treebirdoctopus
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


He has very flat legs. It doesn't look right. I don't get this one, it shouldn't be up this far.

tigerlillies


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tigerlillies
treebirdoctopus wrote:He has very flat legs. It doesn't look right. I don't get this one, it shouldn't be up this far.


Are those feet? They look like really ugly fingernails. Sorry, just not a fan of this shirt.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
snarkygal wrote:Awww man, a pocket shirt? I'm glad to see Cho back, but I really don't like pocket shirts.


Agreed on both counts. Love Cho's work in general, but I'm not a fan of the pocket shirts. I'm sure this will print anyway, though; we seem to be in the minority, snarky.

ofcwilson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ofcwilson
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


How do you do the dark green circles around the image? Is that an ps effect?

dmkooo


quality posts: 10 Private Messages dmkooo
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

I like pocket shirts. I like dinosaurs. I think this artwork is fabulous. I don't care who the artist is.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


what would this shirt color be? kelly green? grass? just wondering what it would really look like.

vivosinemetu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vivosinemetu

I need to be careful what I delete :P

What about anonymous entries?

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

Incredible. Are you all grown ups? Seriously.. i'm dumbfounded. What the frak is wrong with you people. Let's get back to reality for a moment - This is a frakking T-SHIRT SITE. People vote for what they want. What the frak is the point of spending even seconds to type "this doesn't deserve a top place"?? What's your motive, try to mark the votes down? Hopefully convince the undecided in voting for something else?, maybe getting people to agree with your insecure ass? Or is it "I have a right to insult just like people have a right to compliment?" Get real, this contest has been around long enough for you to know how it works, and that you just can't get your way sometimes.

Look at the long ass responses some of you have about your theories - How misguidedly passionate must you be (and frakked up in the head) to come on here to argue your moot opinion anytime a shirt of mine does well? Did you know I the last time I entered a few weeks ago I didn't do well at all? I didn't see you frakking idiots talking Manos, the Hands of Fate about that? So lay that pancakes theory to rest, tell your parents to stop pampering you and get in your dense head that people here vote for what they want because they want it.

And some good news for you? This shirt lost momentum yesterday, and with some of the new shirts rising fast, I would say this shirt doesn't stand a chance. Whoop dee frakking doo. This is why this site is so great, because there's such a short turnaround time. Don't win this week
? Try again next week. It's a frakking privilege you have to be a user on this site. So stop being a twofaced odoriferous voids, learn a thing or two instead of calling foul everytime a shirt you don't like does well. frakking neon angry mole.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? < snip >




quite possibly the best post I've ever seen on the internet

tsura


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsura
jamescho84 wrote:A long rant.


but you have to agree that shirt.woot's site could use a little spiffing up. right?

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? Seriously.. i'm dumbfounded. What the frak is wrong with you people. Let's get back to reality for a moment - This is a frakking T-SHIRT SITE. People vote for what they want. What the frak is the point of spending even seconds to type "this doesn't deserve a top place"?? What's your motive, try to mark the votes down? Hopefully convince the undecided in voting for something else?, maybe getting people to agree with your insecure ass? Or is it "I have a right to insult just like people have a right to compliment?" Get real, this contest has been around long enough for you to know how it works, and that you just can't get your way sometimes.

Look at the long ass responses some of you have about your theories - How misguidedly passionate must you be (and frakked up in the head) to come on here to argue your moot opinion anytime a shirt of mine does well? Did you know I the last time I entered a few weeks ago I didn't do well at all? I didn't see you frakking idiots talking Manos, the Hands of Fate about that? So lay that pancakes theory to rest, tell your parents to stop pampering you and get in your dense head that people here vote for what they want because they want it.

And some good news for you? This shirt lost momentum yesterday, and with some of the new shirts rising fast, I would say this shirt doesn't stand a chance. Whoop dee frakking doo. This is why this site is so great, because there's such a short turnaround time. Don't win this week
? Try again next week. It's a frakking privilege you have to be a user on this site. So stop being a twofaced odoriferous voids, learn a thing or two instead of calling foul everytime a shirt you don't like does well. frakking neon angry mole.


<<< The Truth.

I'm always amazed at how the people who get printed are accused of being successful because of their ability to formulate a conspiracy, not because people like the shirts they design. This kind of shirt is exactly what a large percentage of woot voters are drawn to. Cute? Check. Well drawn? Check. Added bits of fun details? Check. Pleasing color scheme? Yep. Also woot voters tend to really like tromp d'oeil designs. All of these things combined equals votes. You can't blame James Cho because he knows how to pull these things together. How many designs do you see that have a good idea, but don't look very nice. Or look good, but make you scratch your head trying to figure it out? Or have everything together, but the colors look way off? There's so many things that go into a good design, and Cho is probably the best person in the derby at combining these things on a consistent basis.

If it's one thing that I've learned since I've started with the derby is if you're really upset with a design that's popular while yours isn't doing so well, don't blame the other person. Ask yourself what about your design just isn't connecting, or what about theirs voters are drawn to. You can waste a lot of energy trying to tear down other people and you're not getting any closer to getting your design printed in the process. You have to step back from it and realize someone else's success doesn't make your life worse, and that they may not be the issue.

Also I strongly agree about it being a privilege to be here. This is an opportunity like no other I've run into before, and nothing requires you to be here. Sure, bring up issues if you have them, but other people are coming here for the same reasons you are and they're using the same tools. If someone develops a successful reputation, it's because they earned it. And as Cho said, we both have designs that don't do well. If we really had a top secret voter cabal, every single entry would print.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I'd also add that designers don't have to do 'epics' every time out. I know personally it can be frustrating to just want to do something simple and fun and then get complaints about how it isn't up to snuff with your usual work, when in fact there's really nothing wrong with it.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? Seriously.. i'm dumbfounded. What the frak is wrong with you people. Let's get back to reality for a moment - This is a frakking T-SHIRT SITE. People vote for what they want.
[snip]


James, I'll never understand why people feel the need to attribute some kind of sinister motivation to designs they don't like getting lots of votes. For the record, I think you're a great designer. I don't dig this particular design, but I don't question the motives of the people who like it. Guys like you and Travis have built up serious followings precisely because the both of you are extremely talented; it's kind of ridiculous to hate on people b/c they have a fanbase that was duly earned.

That being said, I hope now that you've had your say you calm down and take a breath. My feeling is that the silent majority agree with me that your designs are voted up on merit, not on your name. The haters are _always_ the most vocal, but by no means do I think they speak for everybody.

Good luck with the rest of the derby, and I hope you continue to participate in derbies; the place would be the poorer without you.

iris420


quality posts: 1 Private Messages iris420
jamescho84 wrote:

Did you know I the last time I entered a few weeks ago I didn't do well at all? I didn't see you frakking idiots talking Manos, the Hands of Fate about that? So lay that pancakes theory to rest, tell your parents to stop pampering you and get in your dense head that people here vote for what they want because they want it.


Yeah! I'd like to know where the Cho army was when you had that entry with the dog carrying the UFO in his mouth. I really wanted that one to win, and it didn't even make it to 20th place, or something like that.

Carpe shirtem!

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
iris420 wrote:Yeah! I'd like to know where the Cho army was when you had that entry with the dog carrying the UFO in his mouth. I really wanted that one to win, and it didn't even make it to 20th place, or something like that.


I second that! I loved that one, but apparently the "Cho aura" didn't come through that time

It cracks me up when I think about all the hate around here. Artists put out designs. People like (or don't like) the design. People vote for design. If that design gets enough votes, it gets printed.
Why hate on the designer for that? Um, Cho didn't vote 1,500 times. sheesh.

I'm disappointed every week that thousands of people don't think exactly the way I do, not a big deal....

vivosinemetu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vivosinemetu

I don't believe asking why people like a design is attacking anyone at all. It's curiosity. I don't have a problem with Cho, either, nor any other designer. The attacks are rarely ad hominem. I still don't get why a dino in a pocket fits the derby, but obviously that's my problem. If you wish to help me, that's awesome. I didn't mean to begin an onslaught of attacks. Apologies to all offended.

Kilagria


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kilagria
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I dont like his toes, other then that it's great!

punkfiveo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages punkfiveo
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


i like dinosaurs. and cho. but not fake pocket shirts. they're played out.

logicalcooper


quality posts: 1 Private Messages logicalcooper
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I have nothing against the design, it's just not consistent with my expectations of the derby's theme. However, I'd say about half the shirts fall into that category this week; so maybe my expectations are the problem, and not the designs. Either way, good luck.

bethlehemstarr


quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I really am liking this shirt- but am not entirely sure that I would wear it.... however, I do have a 3 year old that I think would go bonkers for it. hmmm.... GMV!

Keelmy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy
jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups?...


Don't let it get to you. I'd trade you for your votes and negative comments for my lack of votes and positive comments.

[/url]

hautionhoosier


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hautionhoosier

I like this design. Would vote but I haven't bought a shirt through my account.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
jamescho84 wrote:What the frak is the point of spending even seconds to type "this doesn't deserve a top place"?? What's your motive, try to mark the votes down? Hopefully convince the undecided in voting for something else?, maybe getting people to agree with your insecure ass? Or is it "I have a right to insult just like people have a right to compliment?" Get real, this contest has been around long enough for you to know how it works, and that you just can't get your way sometimes.

(snip)


Don't let Adder read this.

Seriously though - I have to agree with you. It would be nice if people could be more civil on these forums and use some logic before spouting off conspiracy theories. =\

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

pprisekin


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pprisekin
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

Love the concept, must have one.

And is it really a pocket shirt, or just supposed to look like one?

I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

kathnich


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kathnich
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I'm sad to see this one slipping. Our whole family loves it (well, maybe not the 16-yr-old, but she's in a goth phase...). Who *wouldn't* want a dino in their pocket?

Kwatson29


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kwatson29
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Great Design! So far only vote I've placed! GMV

ugomona


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ugomona


The green-eyed monster gets a lot of wooters. Who gives a rat's ass what people think. I vote on what I like and I like this one. I love dino's and so do my kids. Steggies (nice touch on the pencil) are a fav around here. BTW James, I don't think I've ever seen you rip the whiners a new one. Well done! Both on the shirt and the rippin'!!!

Jambando


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jambando
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


So now we only get to comment if it's a compliment?
That's silly. If your whole point is that people vote for what they want, why not give them an outlet to describe what they don't, allowing you to see what you could do differently next time to get their votes as well.
Of the few posts I have, most are to argue with Adder about this same topic - that being the best design isn't what's important, it's who gets the most votes in the end. But I'm not going to say people shouldn't be allowed to express displeasure with a design

Patchitect


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? Seriously.. i'm dumbfounded. What the frak is wrong with you people....


Wow - i think you hit every word filter woot owns with that one, They are going to have to come up with some extra $$ to pay for new ones now. thanks alot! that's going to drive up their costs to the point where they have to charge 11$ for every shirt, and drive away half the voters cause they wont be able to afford them any more, what with the run on their piggy banks lately.

But it works in my favor now, cause my voting block all has scads of money and can now buy a majority of the votes once all those loser critics are gone, and i can now win every derby from here on out with my bad designs!

But dont worry, i'll toss you some new rims when i get paid!

waacodemon


quality posts: 12 Private Messages waacodemon
Patchitect wrote:Wow - i think you hit every word filter woot owns with that one, They are going to have to come up with some extra $$ to pay for new ones now. thanks alot! that's going to drive up their costs to the point where they have to charge 11$ for every shirt, and drive away half the voters cause they wont be able to afford them any more, what with the run on their piggy banks lately.

But it works in my favor now, cause my voting block all has scads of money and can now buy a majority of the votes once all those loser critics are gone, and i can now win every derby from here on out with my bad designs!

But dont worry, i'll toss you some new rims when i get paid!



wait...what!? Nice rant, please return the soap box when your finished.

I once ate a cricket.

SpastasticNomadic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I have no fake pocket tees as of yet but I love green, I love dinos, and I always choo-choo-choose pencils over pens. So yes, GMV!

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
tgentry wrote:

I'm always amazed at how the people who get printed are accused of being successful because of their ability to formulate a conspiracy, not because people like the shirts they design...

(And what Cho said too)


Agreed and well said by both of you. But, to play devil's advocate, you guys have to admit that you get some votes tossed your way just because you're both really good designers and have a decent fan base. You know... (some) people WANT to like your current designs because they like your past designs. They have it in their heads that you're good and whatever you do will be good. It's like when I was younger, I had a crush on Corey Feldman (nobody laugh!) and I actually convinced myself that Dream a Little Dream was an EXCELLENT movie. I think you guys get a few more votes than you should on some of your designs because of this phenomenon. It's certainly not enough to make any real difference, but maybe that's where some of the (I think unwarranted) resentment comes from. Personally, I don't think there's anything really unjust with getting those few extra votes. You've earned your fan base by being super good and consistently submitting really great designs. I mean, I had the crush on Corey because he was in Stand By Me and The Goonies. It didn't just come out of nowhere.


reganrai


quality posts: 0 Private Messages reganrai
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


All the awesome dinosaur shirts as of late are going to make me broke! I wish I had a pocket dinosaur for real... Nice design!

woot: 5 | shirt.woot: 19 | wine.woot: 3 | sellout.woot: 0

paulhep


quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulhep

Man, what if you really had a tiny dinosaur in your pocket??

GO VOTE!! This shirt is the Awesomeest!!! supermegavirus

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
BootsBoots wrote:Agreed and well said by both of you. But, to play devil's advocate, you guys have to admit that you get some votes tossed your way just because you're both really good designers and have a decent fan base. You know... (some) people WANT to like your current designs because they like your past designs. They have it in their heads that you're good and whatever you do will be good. It's like when I was younger, I had a crush on Corey Feldman (nobody laugh!) and I actually convinced myself that Dream a Little Dream was an EXCELLENT movie. I think you guys get a few more votes than you should on some of your designs because of this phenomenon. It's certainly not enough to make any real difference, but maybe that's where some of the (I think unwarranted) resentment comes from. Personally, I don't think there's anything really unjust with getting those few extra votes. You've earned your fan base by being super good and consistently submitting really great designs. I mean, I had the crush on Corey because he was in Stand By Me and The Goonies. It didn't just come out of nowhere.


Cho and tgentry = Corey Feldman and Corey Haim

ianbshop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianbshop

Ovaltina, my goat VOTE THE DINOSAUR I HATE THAT Roseanne PEOPLE THING

Kinuven


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kinuven
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


This is so clever!

paulhep


quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulhep

He's eating the pencil!

GO VOTE!! This shirt is the Awesomeest!!! supermegavirus

Barrylpn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barrylpn
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

Happy to see you back. Some of my favorite shirts have been Cho shirts! Don't let the negative comments get to you! Keep submitting to the derbies! I vote for shirts that I like, not for who made them, but there aren't many of yours that I haven't voted for!

hotcha42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotcha42

Wow, first time I've been back here in a while and just in time for a Cho rant, it's my lucky day!

Awesome design, James, as always. I'd get one for each of my kids.

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


This discussion reminds me of a previous post which suggested that only buyers of shirts should get votes (seemed to have some traction) and that you should get extra voting power if you bought multiple shirts (shot down like a clown in a dunk tank). I think that Woot should value the vote of someone who has purchased a dozen shirts higher than an "art hater" who bought a Sandisk MP3 player or a Leak Frog.

Some designs are wonderful art/clever puns/emotional tugs which get votes but don't sell. Some combine those attributes and create a desire to own/wear/give the product. The Cho's and Gentry's of this world usually combine both, but not all the time. I would like to see their work and others' win or lose based on the choices of customers rather than non-customers.

klawrence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages klawrence
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


GMV because I really want to buy this for my 2 yr old nephew. It's so cute, but not cute at the same time. <3

Oh & PS I love the feet.

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
jamescho84 wrote:Don't win this week? Try again next week. It's a frakking privilege you have to be a user on this site. So stop being a twofaced odoriferous voids, learn a thing or two instead of calling foul everytime a shirt you don't like does well. frakking neon angry mole.


Ah, don't sweat over it man, you are a popular artist on this site because you're great and your quality of work is always something people like me aim for. It's always the really good designs or the incredibly bad ones that get all the heat around here, but all you have to do is check the names of all the whining critics and see what they've done to know they have no idea what they're talking about as far as technical merit. You keep making great shirts, this website is always in need of good quality.

mamurphy88


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mamurphy88
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

Please vote for this people. I want to buy it and would not buy anything else in the derby...

"i want something cute on my shirt, not the mona lisa."

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

more like tweedledee and tweedledum

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


still loving this shirt.

Here's hoping in the next day and a half that it jumps a couple spots

duhgonz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages duhgonz
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Looks great!!! Kinda like "Army in My Pocket".The grandkid would love it!

banananosedstooge


quality posts: 0 Private Messages banananosedstooge
jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? Seriously.. i'm dumbfounded. What the fuck is wrong with you people. Let's get back to reality for a moment - This is a fucking T-SHIRT SITE. People vote for what they want. What the fuck is the point of spending even seconds to type "this doesn't deserve a top place"?? What's your motive, try to mark the votes down? Hopefully convince the undecided in voting for something else?, maybe getting people to agree with your insecure ass? Or is it "I have a right to insult just like people have a right to compliment?" Get real, this contest has been around long enough for you to know how it works, and that you just can't get your way sometimes.

Look at the long ass responses some of you have about your theories - How misguidedly passionate must you be (and fucked up in the head) to come on here to argue your moot opinion anytime a shirt of mine does well? Did you know I the last time I entered a few weeks ago I didn't do well at all? I didn't see you fucking idiots talking shit about that? So lay that bullshit theory to rest, tell your parents to stop pampering you and get in your dense head that people here vote for what they want because they want it.

And some good news for you? This shirt lost momentum yesterday, and with some of the new shirts rising fast, I would say this shirt doesn't stand a chance. Whoop dee fucking doo. This is why this site is so great, because there's such a short turnaround time. Don't win this week
? Try again next week. It's a fraking privilege you have to be a user on this site. So stop being a twofaced assholes, learn a thing or two instead of calling foul everytime a shirt you don't like does well. Fucking pussy.


..but how do you really feel?

JustJiggles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
banananosedstooge wrote:..but how do you really feel?


Yeah.. I'm taking my vote back after that tirade.

ffighterjesse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ffighterjesse
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


COOL SHIRT BUT THE ERASER KIND OF LOOKS LIKE A FLOWER

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
tgentry wrote:I'd also add that designers don't have to do 'epics' every time out. I know personally it can be frustrating to just want to do something simple and fun and then get complaints about how it isn't up to snuff with your usual work, when in fact there's really nothing wrong with it.


I would also add to this that sometimes the simple but clear designs are also the great ones that work on the medium in question (**on a t-shirt*).

This is not the WIP forum on cgtalk, it is a t-shirt site. The art goes on t-shirts and is sumbitted for that purpose, not to be insulted by your average user, especially impolitely. (Frankly, it is a little pitiful to see someone who has no entries or never places in the top ten to be as consistantly insulting to the artists and voters as they are. I mean, what is the point?)

Of the 30+ different wootshirts I own, my most frequently admired are the ones with simple, clear, and well-executed designs. The same ones that are most often derided by the most negative posters on this site (Adder, for the loudest example)

Examples of clear, frequently complimented, simple and well-executed (and popular) designs include: Angry Day, 1986 (Zelda), Grow, Cake, Maple Leaf, KTHNXBIA!, etc... At least two of which got ridden in their derby by commenters as "bad" / overly simple shirts.

I vote and purchase based on if the design should be on a t-shirt. Many of the most frequently insulted artists (Cho, tgentry) are also the ones who understand the medium in question, and work to push the edges to new and interesting ideas.

Oh, and simply, designers leave if they get insulted to the degree that they do on this site by folks who have no manners whatsoever. We have already lost old derby winners (and printed entries) already, like fan-favorite Jimiyo (and Cho for a while), who got printed but moved to other less fan aggressive t-shirt sites.

Think before you post, and ask if you want the community to be toxic.

12sunflowers


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 12sunflowers
Re: Pocket Dinosaur



cute- but didn't vote for it. if it does win, i'll buy one for my nieces though

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
12sunflowers wrote:cute- but didn't vote for it. if it does win, i'll buy one for my nieces though


You ought to vote for it then. If you'd buy it if it won, then it deserves your vote.

bro3of4


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
treebirdoctopus wrote:He has very flat legs. It doesn't look right. I don't get this one, it shouldn't be up this far.


Unlike you, treebirdoctopus, I do like it, and it fits the Derby theme perfectly. I have four young nephews that would be fighting over this (And yes, four boys seem to run in the family (My luck, I'll have all girls and won't have a clue what to do)). Me being a big kid myself, I want one of these too. Darn 3 shirt limitation. . .

That's what was bothering me about this! Cho, you have the halftone shading on the dino's upper half and the pocket, but you missed the feet. It makes it look like the feet were added as an afterthought. If this doesn't make it back to the fog and win, could you fix that (assuming it was a mistake) before you put it up on another site or resub for the next Do-Over Derby?

GMV. Oh, and Cho, don't let the useless negative comments bother you. The world is full of asshats who like tearing others down and feel entitled to do it anonymously on the internet (and no, treebirdoctopus, this was not directed at you; your comment was stating constructive criticism (although saying it shouldn't be up this far is *Bad Form*)).

db

-=-=-=-my non-sig segue-=-=-=-
Voting should only be for those shirts that you would buy if they were available (either for yourself, or for a gift for someone you know would love it). If you like a shirt, but wouldn't get it, then leave the artist a comment. If you don't like a shirt, but see it's potential, point out what you think would make it better. If you don't like the shirt, don't comment or vote on it; no one will ever know. It's as simple as that.
Stop the Violence.

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

Keelmy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keelmy
wootvan wrote:This discussion reminds me of a previous post which suggested that only buyers of shirts should get votes (seemed to have some traction) and that you should get extra voting power if you bought multiple shirts (shot down like a clown in a dunk tank)...


Should be pretty obvious why that wouldn't work out. Say I decide to spend 1,000 of my own dollars to buy 3 t-shirts every day until the entire amount is spent after 34 days I've just given myself the power to vote x100 on any shirt I want. If continued to follow this process for another grand or two, eventually I could buy my wins. You might think "who would be so crazy?", but when you consider that I could technically win 3 times a week after a few purchased wins you've paid yourself back and will see nothing but profit.

You could possibly do this right now if you think about it. Buy one shirt per account until you have 1,000 acounts. That's 1k votes but I have faith that this sort of shenanigans would raise a few flags over at el officina de woot.

The system could use some minor tweeks (like a cap on how many shirts you can vote) or keeping artists names hidden (for those who doubt the skill), but other than that, its fine.


[/url]

llafren


quality posts: 0 Private Messages llafren
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Hiya James, I like it, I voted for it, good luck!

"Why take life seriously? You're not going to get out of it alive anyway..."
Acheron Parthenopaeus

Caitieboo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Caitieboo
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I completely heart this shirt! I think what sells it for me are the toes....

ISO30


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ISO30
bryozoan wrote:
Oh, and simply, designers leave if they get insulted to the degree that they do on this site by folks who have no manners whatsoever. We have already lost old derby winners (and printed entries) already, like fan-favorite Jimiyo (and Cho for a while), who got printed but moved to other less fan aggressive t-shirt sites.


Just wanted to comment that if designers really leave because they are feeling insulted... let them leave. A lot of the flak seems to come from those who think the only way to shine is by blowing out the brightest candles. If a designer is too sensitive to this phenomena, they may want to pursue another hobby or reduce the quality of their work. With that said, I think there are some designers (not cho) who kinda beg to be insulted due to their egotism.

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
ISO30 wrote:Just wanted to comment that if designers really leave because they are feeling insulted... let them leave. A lot of the flak seems to come from those who think the only way to shine is by blowing out the brightest candles. If a designer is too sensitive to this phenomena, they may want to pursue another hobby or reduce the quality of their work. With that said, I think there are some designers (not cho) who kinda beg to be insulted due to their egotism.


As depressing as your reply is, it might be the only solution in some cases. Too many people are using the anonymity of the internet to act poorly. I think there is a fine line between the artist being overly sensitive, and being personally and repeatedly insulted for no clear reason.

Honestly, I find the majority of the artists who get insulted are not acting poorly at all, which dilutes the ones who are actually cheating/being poor sports/etc...

Gonna be a shame to go find my t-shirts from some favorite artists at a more expensive, less comfortable site.

(Side note: I love my clockwork orange shirt! Well done!)

tiernane


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiernane
BootsBoots wrote:Agreed and well said by both of you. But, to play devil's advocate, you guys have to admit that you get some votes tossed your way just because you're both really good designers and have a decent fan base. ...


While this is true (and very well said) it should also be pointed out (mostly for the benefit of the haters) that in addition to the fan base, there are voters who specifically will not vote for a shirt just because they got caught up in the whole conspiracy theory thing.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
BootsBoots wrote:Agreed and well said by both of you. But, to play devil's advocate, you guys have to admit that you get some votes tossed your way just because you're both really good designers and have a decent fan base. You know... (some) people WANT to like your current designs because they like your past designs. They have it in their heads that you're good and whatever you do will be good.


Really? That's weird. I never even look at who designs the shirts. I vote and then sometimes I read the comments and see who designed them, but never just to vote.

klawrence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages klawrence
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


Sweet! I just saw that this jumped into the fog before voting closed. I can only hope that it jumped 2 spaces & not just 1. Come on dinosaur! I want to buy my nephew a cool woot shirt!

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Keelmy wrote:You could possibly do this right now if you think about it. Buy one shirt per account until you have 1,000 acounts. That's 1k votes but I have faith that this sort of shenanigans would raise a few flags over at el officina de woot.


That might not be as easy as it sounds. I think you have to have a different credit card or something for each account.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

jasontromm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasontromm
Re: Pocket Dinosaur


I'd love to be able to buy one of these for my son. It would look so cute on him!

Jason A. Trommetter

darkcape


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkcape
Cho I totally agree and look forward to buying this tonight at midnight :-)

jamescho84 wrote:Incredible. Are you all grown ups? Seriously.. i'm dumbfounded. What the frak is wrong with you people. Let's get back to reality for a moment - This is a frakking T-SHIRT SITE. .

n7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages n7

lololololol winners

hepafleb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hepafleb

pocket dinosaur : I want one now =( when can we get this, monday?

alazypersian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alazypersian
Re: Pocket Dinosaur

how can i vote for this?

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail