Derby #69: Miniature Worlds
+942

People of the Fireflies

People of the Fireflies
add a comment

Comments

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Re: People of the Fireflies


Hi, this is called People of the Fireflies. I hope you enjoy.

Discobiscuits


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: People of the Fireflies


Om nom nom nom...... +1

SydneyB


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SydneyB
Re: People of the Fireflies


Oh! This is beautiful!!

rachel1aaron


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel1aaron
Re: People of the Fireflies


Very pretty, I especially like the little village in the tree! Welcome and good luck!

eggwolio


quality posts: 1 Private Messages eggwolio
Re: People of the Fireflies


i really love this design. hope it prints somewhere eventually.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: People of the Fireflies


I really, really like this, both for the idea and the art, but I don't think the black would show up very well on the navy shirt. The purple is pushing it too... Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's any way to rework the colours to fix the problem without losing the mood of the piece.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

solvaring


quality posts: 0 Private Messages solvaring

Looks like a winner!

Mitamasan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mitamasan
Re: People of the Fireflies


Wow, this is gorgeous. Nice work!

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: People of the Fireflies


I LOVE the colors of this shirt, and the swirls and movement patters...Reminds me of Van Gogh's "Starry Night".

definitely GmV

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eHalcyon wrote:I really, really like this, both for the idea and the art, but I don't think the black would show up very well on the navy shirt. The purple is pushing it too... Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there's any way to rework the colours to fix the problem without losing the mood of the piece.


eH is right, as usual. The black tree won't show at all on the navy shirt. I'm afraid you've been deceived, like many before, by the lightness woot chose to use for the navy shirt. It is very very nearly black in person.

I'm not sure about the purple, but I suspect that it will be very dim too.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Josephus wrote:eH is right, as usual. The black tree won't show at all on the navy shirt. I'm afraid you've been deceived, like many before, by the lightness woot chose to use for the navy shirt. It is very very nearly black in person.

I'm not sure about the purple, but I suspect that it will be very dim too.


Does anyone have an example of what it will look like?

DavidShenoda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: People of the Fireflies


I think they should be called "glow"flies instead of fireflies. I mean they're not really on fire. It's a little misleading to those who expect to see flaming insects flying around.

Anywho, despite the invisible tree, this is still a "perfect for woot" design. Good job choosing your idea.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Re: People of the Fireflies


Perhaps with more red behind the black the black would become more apparent because of the negative space.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Re: People of the Fireflies


In all likelihood, you would only be able to see the glowing fireflies and the village. The purple would only be visible close up and the black only if you put your nose to the shirt. If you want to make changes to your colors, remove this entry, and resubmit. It's early enough that I suspect you would get all your votes back.

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

this is pretty.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
ansharp wrote:In all likelihood, you would only be able to see the glowing fireflies and the village. The purple would only be visible close up and the black only if you put your nose to the shirt. If you want to make changes to your colors, remove this entry, and resubmit. It's early enough that I suspect you would get all your votes back.


Can anyone point me to examples of black and purple on navy that didn't print well? Before I resubmit it I'd like to see just how it will turn out like it is. Thanks.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
houmadesigns wrote:Can anyone point me to examples of black and purple on navy that didn't print well? Before I resubmit it I'd like to see just how it will turn out like it is. Thanks.

Trust everyone, it will not show up. The design is great and it is still early. I would resub and I guarantee you will do well.



houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Andy47240 wrote:Trust everyone, it will not show up. The design is great and it is still early. I would resub and I guarantee you will do well.


I think it's strange that everyone's trying to convince me that it won't show up but no one will point out a shirt that it hasn't on. I'm not familiar enough with these shirts to know for sure, but there should be some sort of history for everyone to be trying to convince me to resubmit it. I browsed through the woot collection and couldn't see any reason not to go with these colors. I saw some black outlines on some navy shirts that were visible, and they were thin lines. Mine has big chunks of black. If I can see something that makes me say yeah I can see what you mean, then maybe I will try to redo it. But it's doing well and no one still has shown me any reason why I should.

capttylor34


quality posts: 0 Private Messages capttylor34
houmadesigns wrote:I think it's strange that everyone's trying to convince me that it won't show up but no one will point out a shirt that it hasn't on. I'm not familiar enough with these shirts to know for sure, but there should be some sort of history for everyone to be trying to convince me to resubmit it. I browsed through the woot collection and couldn't see any reason not to go with these colors. I saw some black outlines on some navy shirts that were visible, and they were thin lines. Mine has big chunks of black. If I can see something that makes me say yeah I can see what you mean, then maybe I will try to redo it. But it's doing well and no one still has shown me any reason why I should.


the reason everyone is trying to convince you is because we don't know how it will turn out. there have been other designs that have had more contrast then your piece, yet has printed terriblely. dsladek's Seasons of Change reminds me a lot of the way your colors are meshing with the shirt. his looked like this on the design.
the background brown and the design brown were nearly identical. Now i don't know if this shirt would print the same, but like the others it makes me a bit worried. I'd say better safe then sorry, but if you think it's worth the risk of a bad printing, then let it go.

koopadaisy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koopadaisy
capttylor34 wrote:the reason everyone is trying to convince you is because we don't know how it will turn out. there have been other designs that have had more contrast then your piece, yet has printed terriblely. dsladek's Seasons of Change reminds me a lot of the way your colors are meshing with the shirt. his looked like this on the design. <snip>
the background brown and the design brown were nearly identical. Now i don't know if this shirt would print the same, but like the others it makes me a bit worried. I'd say better safe then sorry, but if you think it's worth the risk of a bad printing, then let it go.

Another good example that comes to mind is Full of Ink. While it's on asphalt and not navy, it's actually a lighter color and both the purple and black were pretty much lost on the shirt. I'm too lazy to go take a photo of mine, but I remember that most of us weren't happy with how the design disappeared on the shirt. Every time I wear it, I consider dragging out the bleach. And I can only imagine those colors on navy would be much worse since the navy really is closer to black than the asphalt.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
houmadesigns wrote:I think it's strange that everyone's trying to convince me that it won't show up but no one will point out a shirt that it hasn't on. I'm not familiar enough with these shirts to know for sure, but there should be some sort of history for everyone to be trying to convince me to resubmit it. I browsed through the woot collection and couldn't see any reason not to go with these colors. I saw some black outlines on some navy shirts that were visible, and they were thin lines. Mine has big chunks of black. If I can see something that makes me say yeah I can see what you mean, then maybe I will try to redo it. But it's doing well and no one still has shown me any reason why I should.


Swim, Little Nessie is an example of black not showing up on navy, but there aren't any detail shots of it, so I thought it unnecessary to post. There were plenty of people who commented on the lack of contrast, but luckily it wasn't a huge element of the design, and it still looked great. This design, however, needs the details of the tree. Negative space alone won't work because it will look like the elements are just floating around on the shirt. Listen to those of us who have been around a long time and are just trying to help. If you want this shirt to print and look good, you need to change your color palette.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
houmadesigns wrote:I think it's strange that everyone's trying to convince me that it won't show up but no one will point out a shirt that it hasn't on. I'm not familiar enough with these shirts to know for sure, but there should be some sort of history for everyone to be trying to convince me to resubmit it. I browsed through the woot collection and couldn't see any reason not to go with these colors. I saw some black outlines on some navy shirts that were visible, and they were thin lines. Mine has big chunks of black. If I can see something that makes me say yeah I can see what you mean, then maybe I will try to redo it. But it's doing well and no one still has shown me any reason why I should.


I spent about 45 minutes looking for an example in the "show us your shirts" pages, and couldn't find any navy shirts with black ink, or none with close enough detail to show it. I know in the past when this has come up, people have had examples to show, unfortunately, I'm not one of those who had the images, or I would show you. There's no conspiracy here, houmadesigns, just people pointing out a flaw you couldn't possibly have known about. If it were me, I wouldn't withdraw and resubmit; you never do that unless it's hopeless. I'd email woot and see if they'll let you give them a print file with a lighter tree color.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Re: People of the Fireflies


Again I still don't see any examples that would convince me to take out my entry. Swim Nessie Swim has black outlines only, and even from a far away shot that I found in the World of Woot forums I can see those tiny black lines. As for other color problems it looks like it has more to do with not choosing pantone colors, which I have carefully done. In addition my purple shades aren't simply different tones of the shirt color like some of the examples you showed, they are different colors entirely. What I mean is I didn't just lighten or darken the shirt color, I added red to it, which I think will help it be visible on the shirt. I'm not saying it would print perfectly, I just don't see the sense in trying so much to convince me to pull my design when you can't actually back up what you're saying with evidence. You may be right, but I'm not willing to risk that because who knows if I could get the votes back. If woot would like to discuss with me the print possibilities and potential problems I'll be willing to listen and if it actually wins I will be more than happy to work with them to get the best print possible.

badTchap


quality posts: 0 Private Messages badTchap
Re: People of the Fireflies


Everyone loves the fireflies! This is really nice, love the whole scene.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
houmadesigns wrote:Again I still don't see any examples that would convince me to take out my entry. Swim Nessie Swim has black outlines only, and even from a far away shot that I found in the World of Woot forums I can see those tiny black lines. As for other color problems it looks like it has more to do with not choosing pantone colors, which I have carefully done. In addition my purple shades aren't simply different tones of the shirt color like some of the examples you showed, they are different colors entirely. What I mean is I didn't just lighten or darken the shirt color, I added red to it, which I think will help it be visible on the shirt. I'm not saying it would print perfectly, I just don't see the sense in trying so much to convince me to pull my design when you can't actually back up what you're saying with evidence. You may be right, but I'm not willing to risk that because who knows if I could get the votes back. If woot would like to discuss with me the print possibilities and potential problems I'll be willing to listen and if it actually wins I will be more than happy to work with them to get the best print possible.


Woot doesn't talk to people about print possibilities. You are responsible for making it work when you submit it. The navy you think you have there will not be what the shirt looks like (just as the browns didn't on the other shirt) And while a couple pictures show the black in my shirt, consider the light source for the photo. Because I only own....oh.... 5 of my own nessie shirts and in regular light it's hard to see the black. Even in your 240x240 clip that's minimized to 100x100, if we related that to distance across a room, I'd have no concept of what that is from that far away.

Here's a novel idea... designers have been doing this quite a while now: submit a redo piece and have it run a while to see if it goes up the charts like this one did.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: People of the Fireflies


In my opinion, many of us who have been around a while and who have purchased many a shirts are telling you your shirt won't show up. However, many of us are saying we really enjoy the shirt. We are not attacking you. We are telling you to change the color palate and resub.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

logicalcooper


quality posts: 1 Private Messages logicalcooper
kylemittskus wrote:In my opinion, many of us who have been around a while and who have purchased many a shirts are telling you your shirt won't show up. However, many of us are saying we really enjoy the shirt. We are not attacking you. We are telling you to change the color palate and resub.


I think it might look purdy on a cream shirt.

AlexIAm


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AlexIAm
houmadesigns wrote:...As for other color problems it looks like it has more to do with not choosing pantone colors, which I have carefully done.


If you could provide a list of those pantones I think it would go a long way toward soothing the riled masses... The shirt color is close to PMS532, which looks black until you hold it up to black. I love the design, but am seriously worried about how it will appear on the shirt.

>insert funny quote here<

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
kylemittskus wrote:In my opinion, many of us who have been around a while and who have purchased many a shirts are telling you your shirt won't show up. However, many of us are saying we really enjoy the shirt. We are not attacking you. We are telling you to change the color palate and resub.


I wasn't suggesting you were attacking me. All I was doing was asking you to "show me". You are saying a lot about how you have been around and trust us, but you're not making a convincing case when you can't show me one single shirt to back it up. I'm not trying to be hard headed or anything, but would you pull out a design that was doing really well because people said "trust us" alone? Telling me I'll get this many votes back when so many shirts are already ahead? I appreciate you are trying to help but until woot tells me to fix it or rejects it I'm going to keep it as is. I believe you all would do the same thing in my situation. Thanks again for the concern.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
JadenKale wrote:
Here's a novel idea... designers have been doing this quite a while now: submit a redo piece and have it run a while to see if it goes up the charts like this one did.


I have tried it on other shirt colors, and it works best on this one. I know people would like me to pull it and I'm sure that would make a lot of people happy, but I will take my chances with the colors I have chosen and let woot decide. I don't think that's being unreasonable and I would appreciate it if you guys let off a bit.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
JadenKale wrote:. Even in your 240x240 clip that's minimized to 100x100, if we related that to distance across a room, I'd have no concept of what that is from that far away.


I am not designing my shirt to be viewed across the room. I am designing it to be an intimate and moody piece. In the small version on the shirt it is very clear what it is.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
houmadesigns wrote:I wasn't suggesting you were attacking me. All I was doing was asking you to "show me". You are saying a lot about how you have been around and trust us, but you're not making a convincing case when you can't show me one single shirt to back it up. I'm not trying to be hard headed or anything, but would you pull out a design that was doing really well because people said "trust us" alone? Telling me I'll get this many votes back when so many shirts are already ahead? I appreciate you are trying to help but until woot tells me to fix it or rejects it I'm going to keep it as is. I believe you all would do the same thing in my situation. Thanks again for the concern.


Example: JadenKale's Nessie design.
Example: in reference to difference in actual color, DS's Season of Change shirt.

Your design will shoot back up. It has happened before. However, the longer you remain stubborn, the more likely time will run short and it won't make it back up.

Look at the shirt color for Nessie and look at the palate woot provided. It is not even close, and this is the problem. Black ink on a nigh black shirt will not show up. Logic trumps.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
houmadesigns wrote:I wasn't suggesting you were attacking me. All I was doing was asking you to "show me". You are saying a lot about how you have been around and trust us, but you're not making a convincing case when you can't show me one single shirt to back it up. I'm not trying to be hard headed or anything, but would you pull out a design that was doing really well because people said "trust us" alone? Telling me I'll get this many votes back when so many shirts are already ahead? I appreciate you are trying to help but until woot tells me to fix it or rejects it I'm going to keep it as is. I believe you all would do the same thing in my situation. Thanks again for the concern.


I'm getting some of the same comments about my design as you are, so I know how you feel. I've been told the navy is about the same as the template so I don't see how the black would be a problem. I have the same attitude, let woot deal with it if there's a problem with the colors. So try not to take it all personally. People can be very harsh on here and a little less than constructive at times, so try to take it all in stride. I think you're seeing that a lot because your design is doing so well. Good luck to you!

Holli537


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Holli537
cmdixon2 wrote:I'm getting some of the same comments about my design as you are, so I know how you feel. I've been told the navy is about the same as the template so I don't see how the black would be a problem. I have the same attitude, let woot deal with it if there's a problem with the colors. So try not to take it all personally. People can be very harsh on here and a little less than constructive at times, so try to take it all in stride. I think you're seeing that a lot because your design is doing so well. Good luck to you!


WANT!

Holli537


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Holli537
Holli537 wrote:WANT!

eerp, didn't mean to quote that person, llo.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
kylemittskus wrote:Example: JadenKale's Nessie design.
Example: in reference to difference in actual color, DS's Season of Change shirt.

Your design will shoot back up. It has happened before. However, the longer you remain stubborn, the more likely time will run short and it won't make it back up.

Look at the shirt color for Nessie and look at the palate woot provided. It is not even close, and this is the problem. Black ink on a nigh black shirt will not show up. Logic trumps.


Honestly, I am beginning to wonder what all your motivations are. Is this how it works when someone new submits a design that becomes popular? I look at the black in the photo of Nessie design and I can see it even from far away. What are you talking about logic? I can see the black line even against the blue and even that tiny:




I have to wonder why you are STILL all trying to get me to resubmit, even this far along. This is not stubbornness, it's prudence. You made your suggestion, still haven't shown me a black that didn't show up on navy, still haven't shown me a purple that didn't show up on navy. First the problem was that it wouldn't show up, now you're showing me examples of colors that just look different but are clearly visible. Again, thank you for your concern, but I will take my chances. People seem to like it. If it prints badly you will be able to say I told you so. All I asked was for someone to show me what you meant since it was apparently common knowledge. Just because I don't jump when you say jump doesn't make me stubborn. I am just trying to be careful.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp

Just because several of us have seen this phenomenon doesn't mean it was accurately documented. I think when you have the designer of a shirt (Nessie) admitting that something didn't print very well, that's pretty good evidence. But as you said, take your chances. If this goes to print and prints poorly, then we won't bother saying I told you so. It will just not sell well after the first day and be quickly reckoned. If it works all right, then we look like asses.

This has nothing to do with you being new or unknown. Seriously, we were all trying to help, but you obviously don't want any. Had you resubmitted earlier today, you most certainly would have gotten all your votes back (we've seen it happen time and again because some of us have been around a long time and understand how these things work), and you probably would have picked up some extras for resub sympathy.

I hope this ends the discussion since it's obvious that nothing productive is going to come of it. Best of luck to you.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
ansharp wrote:Just because several of us have seen this phenomenon doesn't mean it was accurately documented. I think when you have the designer of a shirt (Nessie) admitting that something didn't print very well, that's pretty good evidence. But as you said, take your chances. If this goes to print and prints poorly, then we won't bother saying I told you so. It will just not sell well after the first day and be quickly reckoned. If it works all right, then we look like asses.

This has nothing to do with you being new or unknown. Seriously, we were all trying to help, but you obviously don't want any. Had you resubmitted earlier today, you most certainly would have gotten all your votes back (we've seen it happen time and again because some of us have been around a long time and understand how these things work), and you probably would have picked up some extras for resub sympathy.

Best of luck to you.


I was clearly NOT against help. I asked for someone to show me early today and no one did. Had someone actually replied to my request earlier and shown me something I would have definitely considered redoing it. There's no way I would do it now that you are finally responding to me, and with "evidence" that is clearly not even related to what the original issue was (wouldn't show up vs. might print as a different color.) I believe there are many votes that I could not get back now. I can see the black lines in the pictures of the Nessie shirt as well as dragonly love, and those are shirts that are designed to be seen from far away. This isn't. I don't appreciate how all I asked was a simple, unoffensive question and now I'm suddenly stubborn and don't want help, just for not doing what a complete stranger says to based on faith alone.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
kylemittskus wrote:In my opinion, many of us who have been around a while and who have purchased many a shirts are telling you your shirt won't show up. However, many of us are saying we really enjoy the shirt. We are not attacking you. We are telling you to change the color palate and resub.


The issue is that many of us saying something aren't going to stop more of us from voting it to the fog, getting it printed over things that are safer, and hundreds of people who didn't think a bit deeper about it asking for refunds, a la Season of Change.

This is why even though woot does not step in in situations like this, they should.

lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

This derby is full of issues... people are so angry and terse.

I personally love this design and think it will show just fine on the shirt. It may be dark when printed, but that is the point in this design, I say go with the original and ride it out. GMV and good luck.

PS: Oh and welcome to all that is a Woot derby, good and bad.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

houmadesigns wrote:I was clearly NOT against help. I asked for someone to show me early today and no one did. Had someone actually replied to my request earlier and shown me something I would have definitely considered redoing it. There's no way I would do it now that you are finally responding to me, and with "evidence" that is clearly not even related to what the original issue was (wouldn't show up vs. might print as a different color.) I believe there are many votes that I could not get back now. I can see the black lines in the pictures of the Nessie shirt as well as dragonly love, and those are shirts that are designed to be seen from far away. This isn't. I don't appreciate how all I asked was a simple, unoffensive question and now I'm suddenly stubborn and don't want help, just for not doing what a complete stranger says to based on faith alone.

My photos of my Nessie shirt are too small to show it well, but in all likelihood the people saying the colors won't show properly are correct. There's an entire thread devoted to shirt photos here if you'd like to go find any of specific shirts. If it's not in there, then it's not particularly well documented. Good luck.

EDIT: Also, they were trying to help you, I think. It's not a matter of trying to be rude or picking on you. I myself have seen plenty of woot shirts where the colors didn't show at all, but I don't have the photos at my fingertips and certainly don't have the time to go finding them. If you'd like to find them, a few examples are "What Dreams are Made Of" "Full of Ink" and "Too Hungry." Those designs weren't problems because the inks showed up differently (although that was it too), it was that the ink colors chosen were too similar to the shirt color, which wasn't exactly the same as the template color.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

youngmc33


quality posts: 0 Private Messages youngmc33

I think it's perfect with the current colours! I love how this village seems to be hidden amongst the tree and fireflies, and that translates well into the colour scheme and shirt colour. Great choice, great comp.

I'd wear it. Good luck!

lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

Oh, and another thing about the way colors print... if you have a real Pantone chart, use that for your color choices. I can say from the ts that I have purchased, that other than the color of the T, the spot colors turned out close to correct. Good luck!

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
superspryte wrote:My photos of my Nessie shirt are too small to show it well, but in all likelihood the people saying the colors won't show properly are correct. There's an entire thread devoted to shirt photos here if you'd like to go find any of specific shirts. If it's not in there, then it's not particularly well documented. Good luck.

EDIT: Also, they were trying to help you, I think. It's not a matter of trying to be rude or picking on you. I myself have seen plenty of woot shirts where the colors didn't show at all, but I don't have the photos at my fingertips and certainly don't have the time to go finding them. If you'd like to find them, a few examples are "What Dreams are Made Of" "Full of Ink" and "Too Hungry." Those designs weren't problems because the inks showed up differently (although that was it too), it was that the ink colors chosen were too similar to the shirt color, which wasn't exactly the same as the template color.


I don't feel like people are picking on me by any means. I just thought I asked a reasonable question and didn't get a response until much later, and even then it wasn't much to go on. Had I gotten something tangible earlier I would have done my best to try something else. I am thoroughly paranoid that it won't print well, but I thought it wise to at least see firsthand WHY they were saying this. If it were an easy design to change around maybe I would have done it sight unseen, but I tried it and it just doesn't work in any other way that I can find. If it goes to print and prints subtly I am fine with that. It is supposed to be subtle, not loud or visible across a room.

Also my colors have red in them which should make them stand out. They are not just another shade of navy. Obviously I can't know for sure how it would look and I appreciate the input, but just understand why I didn't pull it without knowing why first. I would hope no one would pull their own design based solely off "trust us", especially since there seems to be hundreds of pictures of shirts and nothing to show this phenomenon of colors not showing up as described.

Again if woot is worried I will do what I can to resolve the issue. If they don't want to print it that is their call and I would respect it.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
houmadesigns wrote:I don't feel like people are picking on me by any means... SNIP


You just questioned all of our motives and accused us of treating new designers like this. We love new designers, and OBVIOUSLY, we all really like your design and we WANT your design. WE WANT a design we can see.

Adder is correct (as he usually is, in spite of his caustic tone ) in that Woot does not interfere with your design unless it breaks the rules and people like the person above you "loves it the way it is" do not know how or has not purchased enough shirts to understand the problems with ink.

Personally, I'm glad that there is a new designer who has talent. I am, at the same time, saddened that the new designer, (not sure why I'm not saying "you" instead) is so stubborn and bent on conspiracy theories.

People who have submitted many designs (Jaden) and people who have been around a VERY long time (eHalcyon) are trying to guide you, being the wise elders that they are (although neither is actually old at all).

Obviously, you are not going to change your design. Please, in the future, when you design a fog-worthy shirt, choose your colors more carefully so those of us who want a shirt that can be seen can buy it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

kylemittskus wrote:People who have submitted many designs (Jaden) and people who have been around a VERY long time (eHalcyon) are trying to guide you, being the wise elders that they are (although neither is actually old at all).

eHalcyon's been around a really long time? Does that make me ancient? What about geekfactor12? ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
superspryte wrote:eHalcyon's been around a really long time? Does that make me ancient? What about geekfactor12? ^_~


*giggles* perhaps he was looking at posts

just kidding, kyle.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
kylemittskus wrote:You just questioned all of our motives and accused us of treating new designers like this. We love new designers, and OBVIOUSLY, we all really like your design and we WANT your design. WE WANT a design we can see.

Adder is correct (as he usually is, in spite of his caustic tone ) in that Woot does not interfere with your design unless it breaks the rules and people like the person above you "loves it the way it is" do not know how or has not purchased enough shirts to understand the problems with ink.

Personally, I'm glad that there is a new designer who has talent. I am, at the same time, saddened that the new designer, (not sure why I'm not saying "you" instead) is so stubborn and bent on conspiracy theories.

People who have submitted many designs (Jaden) and people who have been around a VERY long time (eHalcyon) are trying to guide you, being the wise elders that they are (although neither is actually old at all).

Obviously, you are not going to change your design. Please, in the future, when you design a fog-worthy shirt, choose your colors more carefully so those of us who want a shirt that can be seen can buy it.


I believe I have been very civil and my comments justified. All I wanted was a simple answer to a simple question. I don't appreciate being called stubborn and bent on conspiracy theories-- that's very insulting. Being cautious and wondering why people are hounding me to pull my design without showing me why does not make me either of those things. I think I am justified in my wariness NOT to pull my design just because you say so, with no evidence to back up what you say. Yes you have been around and seen a lot, but to expect me to accept your word as that of an expert based on nothing is a lot to ask considering. Telling someone at this point in the derby that they will make it all up just doesn't sound right to me. Not being able to back up what you're saying and then changing the topic from won't show up at all to may show up as a different color and using other shirt colors as examples also made me wary of what you're saying. You may be right, but you didn't show me why. That's why I didn't pull it, because that's a lot of blind faith on my part. Maybe around here what you say is gospel, but pictures are worth a thousand words to me. I have contacted woot and asked their thoughts on the matter, and since I now feel you're taking on an insulting and superior tone I'll no longer discuss it.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
JadenKale wrote:*giggles* perhaps he was looking at posts

just kidding, kyle.


To be honest, I didn't even check!! hahah eHalcyon is a youngin' actually. I SUCK! Perhaps it is the fact that she (she?) seems omnipresent... Or insert far better excuse for my obvious oversight here.

@ the artist, I meant no offense. And my word is NOT gospel. I don't know anything!!! But, I think that when a lot of us are telling you something, maybe it should be considered.
Good luck.
I am really glad that we have a new talented designer around.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Re: People of the Fireflies


Well I am sorry also. I certainly never thought my design would be this popular or cause this kind of tension or controversy. Good luck to everyone!

phoenixgirrl


quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
Re: People of the Fireflies


its so pretty. too bad it wouldn't print well. I look forward to other designs though

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
superspryte wrote:eHalcyon's been around a really long time? Does that make me ancient? What about geekfactor12? ^_~


<shudder>

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Josephus wrote:<shudder>


Anyone planning a funeral for this one? He has 9 toes in the coffin.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

daddax


quality posts: 2 Private Messages daddax
Re: People of the Fireflies


da people are correct this will not print well. taking my vote back sry

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
daddax wrote:da people are correct this will not print well. taking my vote back sry


You are entitled to do whatever you like with your vote, but I do feel it's a bit of shame you are doing so based on no evidence whatsoever that I can see. I have contacted woot and will relay whatever they say if I hear back from them. If they say it's not printable then I can understand your position.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
kylemittskus wrote:To be honest, I didn't even check!! hahah eHalcyon is a youngin' actually. I SUCK! Perhaps it is the fact that she (she?) seems omnipresent... Or insert far better excuse for my obvious oversight here.


He. No offense taken, for this is the internet and I use proper grammar.

I haven't been omnipresent since school started again. =\

@houmadesigns - First of all, I hadn't looked at your name before. It is a very spiffy username!

My apologies for starting this whole thing off (though I suspect someone else would have mentioned it eventually). I understand your thoughts completely and I respect your decision to refrain from withdrawing and resubmitting. I know if I were in your position, I probably wouldn't take the risk of losing all those votes either.

I still think the black will print poorly. There's precedence for that, for example in Nessie. I know you said you can see it in the photos, and if that's true then I think you either have AMAZING eyes or your computer monitor has way too much contrast. I have Nessie myself and the black is very difficult to see under normal lighting conditions. The purple I am much less certain about; I don't recall any navy shirts that used a dark purple.

If this goes to print and comes out well, I will be deeply saddened because I will probably have to buy yet another shirt after first day sales. (And arg, I keep on buying navy shirts. Navy is to me like Asphalt is to so many others. XP)

If it makes you feel any better, there have been shirts in the past that everyone thought would print badly that turned out fine. One that comes to my mind is Dusty Keys. From previous experiences we all thought the black would be invisible, but from the photos I've seen it turned out fine. I think it's because the black parts were large blocky shapes, rather than small details. I can't say the tree in your design will work out the same way, but there's certainly hope.

Good luck! And I hope this doesn't turn you off from submitting in the future, because this truly is a great design.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
eHalcyon wrote:

Good luck! And I hope this doesn't turn you off from submitting in the future, because this truly is a great design.


Thanks very much eHalcyon. I certainly didn't take any offense to your original post. I definitely listened to all you and everyone else had to say. I'm glad you understand that listening doesn't automatically entail reacting. I want to have a shirt printed that looks as good as possible, and so hopefully woot can guide me in that direction and let me know for sure if this is no good. I really appreciate your comments. :-)

tiernane


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiernane
houmadesigns wrote:...

Again if woot is worried I will do what I can to resolve the issue. If they don't want to print it that is their call and I would respect it.


I believe (As in am like 99% sure) that woot changed the colors a few times in the past. A few times, this has turned out very very poorly, like this shirt
Take a look. Do you really want to risk your beautiful design turning out like that?

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
tiernane wrote: Do you really want to risk your beautiful design turning out like that?


They could change the colors on anyone. So should they all give up? Keep resubbing? It's clear I am not pulling my design until I hear from woot. I appreciate all the feedback, but that's my decision. Thank you all.

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
Re: People of the Fireflies


Reminds me of the Ewok village.

Oeberon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oeberon
Re: People of the Fireflies


I like this overall, but I'm not diggin' the hearts; they're a little cheesy. I voted anyway, because I'd like to see this move up.

Imagine that! My Join Date is a palindrome: 8-11-8
It's finally available!

Oeberon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oeberon
Oeberon wrote:... because I'd like to see this move up.



I had a blonde moment. I had the entries sorted by Date, but I thought it was sorted by Votes and because of that this entry was further down the list leading me to believe the ranking was lower than it really was. That and I didn't pay attention to the ranking up top when I opened the thumbnail. Nevertheless, congratulations on your rank so far!

Imagine that! My Join Date is a palindrome: 8-11-8
It's finally available!

mihalis aya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
koopadaisy wrote:Another good example that comes to mind is Full of Ink. While it's on asphalt and not navy, it's actually a lighter color and both the purple and black were pretty much lost on the shirt. I'm too lazy to go take a photo of mine, but I remember that most of us weren't happy with how the design disappeared on the shirt. Every time I wear it, I consider dragging out the bleach. And I can only imagine those colors on navy would be much worse since the navy really is closer to black than the asphalt.


I certainly wasn't happy with the print, and it was my shirt. Both the asphalt and the navy are much darker in person than on the colour swatches (Full of Ink actually had a navy pen, not black, but woot switched it to black so it would be even semi-visible--it would have been totally lost otherwise).

mihalis aya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
cmdixon2 wrote:I'm getting some of the same comments about my design as you are, so I know how you feel. I've been told the navy is about the same as the template so I don't see how the black would be a problem. I have the same attitude, let woot deal with it if there's a problem with the colors. So try not to take it all personally. People can be very harsh on here and a little less than constructive at times, so try to take it all in stride. I think you're seeing that a lot because your design is doing so well. Good luck to you!


Woot will not, generally, fix the colours. You are responsible to get it right yourself. I am quite grateful (and lucky) that they moved my navy to black, because the navy would not have shown at all on the asphalt shirt. So, no, it's not woot's issue to deal with. It's yours. Why is it so hard to accept that people who have been here over a year and doing this might know what these prints are like by now?

mihalis aya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mihalis aya
mihalis aya wrote:I certainly wasn't happy with the print, and it was my shirt. Both the asphalt and the navy are much darker in person than on the colour swatches (Full of Ink actually had a navy pen, not black, but woot switched it to black so it would be even semi-visible--it would have been totally lost otherwise).


Oh, and if you want to see a medium-dark purple on asphalt, check out the photos of Full of Ink. I am led to believe the asphalt and navy are similar in shade, but have yet to get a navy shirt myself.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

houmadesigns wrote:Thanks very much eHalcyon. I certainly didn't take any offense to your original post. I definitely listened to all you and everyone else had to say. I'm glad you understand that listening doesn't automatically entail reacting. I want to have a shirt printed that looks as good as possible, and so hopefully woot can guide me in that direction and let me know for sure if this is no good. I really appreciate your comments. :-)

To be honest, this is where you can tell that you're new. Woot rarely gets back to people on matters like these in any timely way. If you do hear back before the end of the derby, it'll be too late to make a comeback.

Also, woot will not change the colors for you; you have to do that yourself.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

houmadesigns wrote:They could change the colors on anyone. So should they all give up? Keep resubbing? It's clear I am not pulling my design until I hear from woot. I appreciate all the feedback, but that's my decision. Thank you all.

Typically they've only changed colors when there wasn't a pantone specified.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Oeberon wrote:I like this overall, but I'm not diggin' the hearts; they're a little cheesy. I voted anyway, because I'd like to see this move up.


They aren't meant to be hearts, they are supposed to take on the simple form of insect wings.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
superspryte wrote:Typically they've only changed colors when there wasn't a pantone specified.


They will have pantone colors. I believe the blues are currently pantone. The purples were pantone when I started but I darkened them a shade. They are the same color, just a very subtle shade darker. I will make sure they are the Pantones when I send the final print version, which means the purples will be a shade brighter. The Pantone colors are 7470c, 547c, 276c, and 7449c, and the black.

12sunflowers


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 12sunflowers
Re: People of the Fireflies


interesting design- a little hard to see, but pretty! reminds me of van gogh (one of my favorite artists)

armeleia


quality posts: 0 Private Messages armeleia
Re: People of the Fireflies


This is really pretty - I love the colors together. The fireflies look awesome.

Please vote for these shirts because I really, really want to buy them:
The Night Shift
Hey, wait up... you are my best friend
Helium: Octo's Great Adventure

Oeberon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oeberon
houmadesigns wrote:They aren't meant to be hearts, they are supposed to take on the simple form of insect wings.


Ahhh..my bad! I do apologize, ever so much. I see that now. I'm usually not this dim, even on a Monday morning! :-P

Imagine that! My Join Date is a palindrome: 8-11-8
It's finally available!

AlexIAm


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AlexIAm
houmadesigns wrote:They will have pantone colors. I believe the blues are currently pantone. The purples were pantone when I started but I darkened them a shade. They are the same color, just a very subtle shade darker. I will make sure they are the Pantones when I send the final print version, which means the purples will be a shade brighter. The Pantone colors are 7470c, 547c, 276c, and 7449c, and the black.


Thanks for providing the Pantones... just flipped through my swatch book and, wow, that is a dark palette! The shirt color is close to 532... The only ones significantly different from that are 7470 and 7449. Should you make the fog I am really curious to see how it prints.

Good luck, it is a really well done design.

Sincerely, one of the (young) old farts ;)

>insert funny quote here<

mactraveler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mactraveler
bradyson wrote:Reminds me of the Ewok village.


funny... i was just thinking it reminded me of the tree village in kevin costner's version of robin hood.

i just hope it prints well despite the color issues, i'd like to have this shirt. this, unfortunately, means waiting until after day one for someone to post a photo of the actual shirt before i buy it.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
bradyson wrote:
Reminds me of the Ewok village.

mactraveler wrote:funny... i was just thinking it reminded me of the tree village in kevin costner's version of robin hood.


weren't those shot on the same set?
;^)

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
Josephus wrote:weren't those shot on the same set?
;^)


Could be ;c)

http://gallery.sunnyfortuna.com/albums/userpics/10001/Ewok_Village.jpg

BootsBoots


quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
bradyson wrote:Could be ;c)

http://gallery.sunnyfortuna.com/albums/userpics/10001/Ewok_Village.jpg


This reminded me that when I was little I had the Ewok Village playset. Years later I received the Robin Hood playset for Christmas and it was exactly the same. Only I think the Robin Hood one came with arrows... I still feel cheated.

Oh. And this design is very pretty. I agree it will probably print a little too dark, but maybe that will look very subtle and nice. Or it could look terrible. Who knows. I kind of hope it wins so we cal all find out.


mactraveler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mactraveler
BootsBoots wrote:This reminded me that when I was little I had the Ewok Village playset. Years later I received the Robin Hood playset for Christmas and it was exactly the same. Only I think the Robin Hood one came with arrows... I still feel cheated.


turns out you're right - see http://theswca.com/images-speci/recycle/

poor Friar Tuck had a real identity crisis when making the switch over to a toy.....

12sunflowers


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 12sunflowers
lkackman wrote:This derby is full of issues... people are so angry and terse.

I personally love this design and think it will show just fine on the shirt. It may be dark when printed, but that is the point in this design, I say go with the original and ride it out. GMV and good luck.

PS: Oh and welcome to all that is a Woot derby, good and bad.



*giggles*- when ISN'T there a derby that has issues? =)

BootsBoots


quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
mactraveler wrote:turns out you're right - see http://theswca.com/images-speci/recycle/

poor Friar Tuck had a real identity crisis when making the switch over to a toy.....


I knew it!


tommyt827


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tommyt827
Re: People of the Fireflies


Congrats on a very nice first submission. I like the design a lot. But like so many others have commented, I'm worried about the colors not showing up on the dark shirt. If this does print I wouldn't purchase it on the firs day. Instead, I'd wait to see pictures of how it printed before buying it.

reganrai


quality posts: 0 Private Messages reganrai
tommyt827 wrote:Congrats on a very nice first submission. I like the design a lot. But like so many others have commented, I'm worried about the colors not showing up on the dark shirt. If this does print I wouldn't purchase it on the firs day. Instead, I'd wait to see pictures of how it printed before buying it.


That's exactly my observation as well. I agree it is a cool design, but I would wait and see how it prints before considering buying one.

woot: 5 | shirt.woot: 19 | wine.woot: 3 | sellout.woot: 0

SpastasticNomadic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
reganrai wrote:That's exactly my observation as well. I agree it is a cool design, but I would wait and see how it prints before considering buying one.


Ditto.

I have to join the lot that doesn't think this is going to print well. I don't think I have any navy shirts from s.w, but I can think of one navy shirt from teefury that has black on navy, which didn't show up at all. However, the black was outlined in grey, which didn't really take away from the shirt since it made the black just look like negative space. The black ink was practically the exact same colour as the navy. I just don't see how this one would possibly work. And would worry that it would simply look like some bright dots on a shirt until someone got all up in my breasts to see what was really going on.

That being said, it's a really beautiful design. Really. But I couldn't bring myself to purchase it without first seeing proof that the colours did indeed print well, or weren't completely changed which would then alter the entire appearance of the original design.

hmmxkrazee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hmmxkrazee
Re: People of the Fireflies


Wow this thread is crazy!

I don't blame you houmadesigns. that's alotta money on the line and even though you probably would have been back up there with a resub, it's still a risk.

and is your name houmade designs or houma designs? i kept reading it as hou made (who made) designs.. which may be the point.. a clever point..

tiernane


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiernane
tommyt827 wrote:Congrats on a very nice first submission. I like the design a lot. But like so many others have commented, I'm worried about the colors not showing up on the dark shirt. If this does print I wouldn't purchase it on the firs day. Instead, I'd wait to see pictures of how it printed before buying it.


Me toozies. Although I fear that not too many pictures (if any) will get posted, just because all the 'old timers' (which i am not) who usually post their pictures will most likely wait...

paulhep


quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulhep

Very cool, would be extra cool if they used glow-in-the-dark ink.

GO VOTE!! This shirt is the Awesomeest!!! supermegavirus

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: People of the Fireflies


I was looking through my shirts to try to find a concrete example and one that is now basically just a gray shirt after wearing once or twice is this one:

http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1894664

The contrast wasn't enough.

I am not telling you to resub (it's late now) and also I like your work. I am just trying to give an example. Good luck and hope to see more designs as well.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
JonSnow wrote:Who cares if the purple is so subtle you can barely see it.


Presumably people who would like to buy the design would care whether or not the design they bought is visible. Tone it down dude, I think the comments and criticism have been pretty respectful apart from your vitriol and personal attacks. It's okay for other people to discuss their differing opinions (in this case even based on actual examples). It's not okay to insult people for doing what these forums are for- discussing the derby entries.

Anyway, back to the design- I think it's a great idea, and it would be a worthy winner. While I share the concerns others have expressed about the colors, I'm hopeful that the outcome will be a really gorgeous print

JonSnow


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JonSnow
JadenKale wrote:first possible print to succeed and not be one to quickly be reckoned due to a low # of sales.


He joined two days ago and this is bound to be printed despite all of the nit picking. I doubt he is worried about falling off the reckoning list that he probably doesn't even know about....

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
JonSnow wrote:He joined two days ago and this is bound to be printed despite all of the nit picking. I doubt he is worried about falling off the reckoning list that he probably doesn't even know about....

“The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance.” - Benjamin Franklin

Nbr8sGirl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nbr8sGirl

WOW ! I stopped reading all the "helpful" comments and jumped right back up to leave my own comment. I love this design. Love it, love it. I haven't bought a ton of shirts here - I haven't been here forever, etc. But, I love the design.

Yep, it's a dark design on a dark t-shirt. Big deal. I can see that. I have eyes.

I'm in for AT LEAST one, maybe more.

My suggestion, those who are worried about the colors - don't buy one. Personally, I see exactly what it is and I want one.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
Re: People of the Fireflies


How could a peaceful design turn into a discussion like this? Some people offered their advice, I decided not to take it because of time concerns, wanting more information, and not being able to alter the design in a way that worked anyway. No need for calling me ignorant, stubborn, conspiracy driven, etc. There's also no reason to call the people who were trying to help me out names.

12sunflowers


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 12sunflowers
houmadesigns wrote:How could a peaceful design turn into a discussion like this? Some people offered their advice, I decided not to take it because of time concerns, wanting more information, and not being able to alter the design in a way that worked anyway. No need for calling me ignorant, stubborn, conspiracy driven, etc. There's also no reason to call the people who were trying to help me out names.



because some people have nothing better to do than to cause conflict- i work with some people like that, and there are a lot of people out there who thrive off of negativity. really nice shirt and i hope it wins! definately GMV!

punder


quality posts: 3 Private Messages punder
houmadesigns wrote:How could a peaceful design turn into a discussion like this? Some people offered their advice, I decided not to take it because of time concerns, wanting more information, and not being able to alter the design in a way that worked anyway. No need for calling me ignorant, stubborn, conspiracy driven, etc. There's also no reason to call the people who were trying to help me out names.

Agree!
Your art skills are a welcome addition and I look forward to seeing more of your designs in the Woot derbies. I am glad you chose not to resubmit. I think your best advisor will be your own experience.
Best wishes for success with this design,
Priscilla

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
punder wrote:Agree!
Your art skills are a welcome addition and I look forward to seeing more of your designs in the Woot derbies. I am glad you chose not to resubmit. I think your best advisor will be your own experience.
Best wishes for success with this design,
Priscilla


Thank you Priscilla, and to everyone who voted for this. If it prints, I hope it comes out well for you! And good luck to the other entries competing for a print spot. They are all really good!

kingg1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingg1
Re: People of the Fireflies


Well that sure is alot of controversy related to this shirt. I absolutely love this design though.

I have Seasons of Change http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=6528 and Cool Breeze http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=3806
Both of these shirts were ones that people said didn't print well. I disagree, sure the dark colors do not show as clearly as the picture but this almost adds to the shirt. While wearing both of these shirts I've had people make comments similar to "That shirt gets even better the closer you get."

Also, I noticed people referencing the Little Nessie shirt. I'm not quite sure how this would even compare.
http://shirt.woot.com/Friends.aspx?k=4888
If they are talking about the small black outline around nessie, I can barely see that in the picture. But in the pictures in the comments above, the shirt looks great...

So I hope this shirt gets printed. There are not many shirts that I will stay up until 1am EST to buy, this will be one though.

Good luck, GMV

-g1

GravityJMB


quality posts: 5 Private Messages GravityJMB
Re: People of the Fireflies


Y'know.. after all this nonsense... I'm just dying to see what Woot writes up for this shirt when it gets printed.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
GravityJMB wrote:Y'know.. after all this nonsense... I'm just dying to see what Woot writes up for this shirt when it gets printed.


You might hope that they'll deal with the color problem so that they won't get stuck with a bunch of people wanting their money back.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
Josephus wrote:You might hope that they'll deal with the color problem so that they won't get stuck with a bunch of people wanting their money back.


Woot... deal? Hahahahahaha. That takes effort, man.

In all sincerity, I apologize for any rudeness I might have portrayed earlier in this thread. I, like so many others, was only trying to help. I will be interested to see how this all plays out. Congrats on making it to the fog with your first entry. If only we could all be so lucky.

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
cmdixon2 wrote:I'm getting some of the same comments about my design as you are, so I know how you feel. I've been told the navy is about the same as the template so I don't see how the black would be a problem. I have the same attitude, let woot deal with it if there's a problem with the colors. So try not to take it all personally. People can be very harsh on here and a little less than constructive at times, so try to take it all in stride. I think you're seeing that a lot because your design is doing so well. Good luck to you!


These people are telling you Woot will NOT deal with it. They will print it whether your design shows up or not. And then a lot of Wooters will be very upset because the design doesn't show up very well. But YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT TRIED TO HELP YOU!

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
snarkygal wrote:These people are telling you Woot will NOT deal with it. They will print it whether your design shows up or not. And then a lot of Wooters will be very upset because the design doesn't show up very well. But YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT TRIED TO HELP YOU!


SINCE WE'RE TALKING IN ALL CAPS, I CONTACTED WOOT, SENT THEM MY FILE, AND THEY HAVE RESPONDED TO ME. I AM NOW SATISFIED I MADE THE RIGHT CALL BASED OFF THAT RESPONSE.THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN.

ansharp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ansharp
houmadesigns wrote:SINCE WE'RE TALKING IN ALL CAPS, I CONTACTED WOOT, SENT THEM MY FILE, AND THEY HAVE RESPONDED TO ME. I AM NOW SATISFIED I MADE THE RIGHT CALL BASED OFF THAT RESPONSE.THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN.


Out of pure curiosity and general knowledge for the community, would you mind sharing what they said? (Not being patronizing or suspicious, it would just be helpful as a designer.) Thanks.

redsquidkid


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redsquidkid

One thing people haven't mentioned is that screen printing adds a different texture to shirt - especially with a lot of ink coverage. The screened area is smooth and the t-shirt is fabric, which contrasts with the smooth inked areas. Because this is an ink intensive design, it will fair better than "pen and ink" type sketches.

Of course it all learning curve -- but I'd be willing to pay $10 to gamble on getting something I like. Digital art does not (and can not) accurately represent screen printing on fabric for any entry in this derby.

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
ansharp wrote:Out of pure curiosity and general knowledge for the community, would you mind sharing what they said? (Not being patronizing or suspicious, it would just be helpful as a designer.) Thanks.


The very nice lady who handles the printing set up told me that the effect would be subtle, but that seems to be the goal of the design as she sees it. According to her dark colors printed on the dark shirts is always tricky, but they believe they have gotten better at it over time. In addition she said a lot of the examples that were provided in the forum were done on templates that were lighter than the current one.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
JonSnow wrote:He joined two days ago and this is bound to be printed despite all of the nit picking. I doubt he is worried about falling off the reckoning list that he probably doesn't even know about....


This is very true. Why would any woot artist care about little issues, like potential visibility, or making a rabbit with four legs?

houmadesigns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages houmadesigns
AdderXYU wrote:This is very true. Why would any woot artist care about little issues, like potential visibility, or making a rabbit with four legs?


I don't know anything about rabbits, but I certainly care that my design will show up. I won't mind at all if someone posts helpful comments in the future. Hopefully I won't be creating any more controversy or tension though as that is most certainly not why I am here submitting designs. Best of luck to everyone and I look forward to the next contest!

curb1510


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510
Re: People of the Fireflies


Do you need a passport to live in this t-shirt? I think I want to move in.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
houmadesigns wrote:How could a peaceful design turn into a discussion like this? Some people offered their advice, I decided not to take it because of time concerns, wanting more information, and not being able to alter the design in a way that worked anyway. No need for calling me ignorant, stubborn, conspiracy driven, etc. There's also no reason to call the people who were trying to help me out names.


I tried to steer the conversation back to civility with my last comment, though that never really works.

The big plus I see from this design printing is that we have the chance to see woot's printing abilities tested. Obviously Woot's printing abilities improve over time, so sometimes it's nice to see a print like this. If it turns out well, it opens up a whole new spectrum for more cautious designers.

Now I have to figure out whether to wait for photos of this first or to take a gamble on the first night...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

snajo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages snajo
Re: People of the Fireflies


yikes!

I think, if the artist is following the rules, the complaint shouldn't be to the artist, but rather against the rules. We'll see how it turns out. I'm going to trust that woot knows more about printing t-shirts than I do. I'm willing to risk the $10. G- knows I've certainly spent more on less.

Keep up the good work... this makes me think of the east vs. south dragon design that didn't win a couple derbies ago... at least so far as they are both visually pleasing artistic sorts of designs. Beats the hell out of clip art or stick figures. (I assume this isn't clip art... and I must admit, however much I wish I could deny it... I do like stick figures.)

NonDescript


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonDescript

I love this shirt and i cant wait to buy it. you see all the people flaming you, yet some how you are still in the fog. im glad you didnt delete this shirt and i hope that it prints well, imo i think if the shirt is that dark it will only make the design pop more in contrast.

Teknikas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teknikas
DavidShenoda wrote:I think they should be called "glow"flies instead of fireflies. I mean they're not really on fire. It's a little misleading to those who expect to see flaming insects flying around.

Anywho, despite the invisible tree, this is still a "perfect for woot" design. Good job choosing your idea.


I would assume that not many people expected to see "flaming insects flying around"...Have you really never heard of fireflies? You from BFE or something?

caseadey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages caseadey
houmadesigns wrote:SINCE WE'RE TALKING IN ALL CAPS, I CONTACTED WOOT, SENT THEM MY FILE, AND THEY HAVE RESPONDED TO ME. I AM NOW SATISFIED I MADE THE RIGHT CALL BASED OFF THAT RESPONSE.THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONCERN.


Wow this reminds me of the whole alien mess a few weeks ago. Please learn how to take the comments and not get so offended. If people like they will vote for it, end of story. The attitude in the post almost make me not to want to vote for it.

mjc613


quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: People of the Fireflies

Houma, welcome to woot and congrats on your novel design. I really like it.
Unfortunately, I could not see the detail until I put my head about 9 inches from my large monitor. Since I am female, I will be unable to buy this shirt when it prints, since I would be embarassed if anyone's head was that close to my breasts in a public setting.

I am sure that you will not resubmit this, since at this point in the derby it is nearly impossible to get start over and get back into the fog. (Youbetchucan made it into the fog in less than 2 days, though, fyi. I think starting on a Tuesday.) Hopefully, you will take all the info you learned in this thread and apply it to future designs in future derbies, with splendid results. Good luck!

paulkremer


quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer

Howdy Houmadesigns! Welcome!

I read this entire discussion, and couldn't help starting to hum, Guns and Roses "Welcome to the Jungle." You seem to be new, and what a way to enter the fray, huh? You saw the derby, made a great design, followed the color palettes as well as possible and trusted that they were what they appeared to be. Then your design did well and you started getting an entire slough of comments saying your design wouldn't print well, and some not so kind. You ask for proof, and nobody seems to have any of that, but they have plenty of insults. You're already annoyed, finally some people get back to you with some pictures, and you find that rather than being awful, it perhaps will even fit your purpose of subtlety. You dare to say as much, and more insults. Does that about sum it up? Ain't the derby grand?

As you stick around here (and I certainly hope you do), you will learn a lot of the players and their tendencies. Some of them are openly hostile, many are extremely negative, others will use your design as a perfect example of why Woot has gone down the tube...and others are kind and helpful. You'll learn who they are soon enough and attach names to those categories.

No designer survives on Woot without a tough skin, as the comments can be harsh. Notice the disclaimer right when you click on the Derby: "Think you can design a better shirt than the one up there? Enter our weekly shirt-off and let the community judge. Be warned: they’re a harsh judge indeed." They weren't playing with you.

Personally, I can see where you were coming from the whole time. Are these people really trying to help you? Are their concerns really justified? Do they really understand the entire point of what you were going for? Are they really comparing apples to apples? Personally, I think you're doing just fine "in the jungle."

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #1: The design prints poorly. Aw, carp. You learn what colors don't print well on what colors. You apply this knowledge on your next design. You get paid $1000.

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #2: The design prints subtly, as you intended. Many people are thrilled to death, others decide that the print was poor, and wave their pointy fingers in triumph over you. You get over it quickly, because it turned out exactly as you intended. You get paid $1000, and a little extra from the people that see it print the way you intended and "get it."

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #3: The design not only prints as intended, but well. Woot's printing abilities have progressed, and it comes out great. You get paid $1000, and get hundreds of extra sales in the coming weeks as the people that sat on the fence jump in.

In any of them, I think you end up the winner. The people who were rude and got on your case can do whatever they want, just do your thing, learn a lesson for next time if need be, develop some thick skin, and laugh all the way to the bank...then do it again in the coming weeks. Welcome HoumaDesigns!

lwoodnj


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwoodnj
paulkremer wrote:Howdy Houmadesigns! Welcome!

I read this entire discussion, and couldn't help starting to hum, Guns and Roses "Welcome to the Jungle." You seem to be new, and what a way to enter the fray, huh? You saw the derby, made a great design, followed the color palettes as well as possible and trusted that they were what they appeared to be. Then your design did well and you started getting an entire slough of comments saying your design wouldn't print well, and some not so kind. You ask for proof, and nobody seems to have any of that, but they have plenty of insults. You're already annoyed, finally some people get back to you with some pictures, and you find that rather than being awful, it perhaps will even fit your purpose of subtlety. You dare to say as much, and more insults. Does that about sum it up? Ain't the derby grand?

As you stick around here (and I certainly hope you do), you will learn a lot of the players and their tendencies. Some of them are openly hostile, many are extremely negative, others will use your design as a perfect example of why Woot has gone down the tube...and others are kind and helpful. You'll learn who they are soon enough and attach names to those categories.

No designer survives on Woot without a tough skin, as the comments can be harsh. Notice the disclaimer right when you click on the Derby: "Think you can design a better shirt than the one up there? Enter our weekly shirt-off and let the community judge. Be warned: they’re a harsh judge indeed." They weren't playing with you.

Personally, I can see where you were coming from the whole time. Are these people really trying to help you? Are their concerns really justified? Do they really understand the entire point of what you were going for? Are they really comparing apples to apples? Personally, I think you're doing just fine "in the jungle."

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #1: The design prints poorly. Aw, carp. You learn what colors don't print well on what colors. You apply this knowledge on your next design. You get paid $1000.

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #2: The design prints subtly, as you intended. Many people are thrilled to death, others decide that the print was poor, and wave their pointy fingers in triumph over you. You get over it quickly, because it turned out exactly as you intended. You get paid $1000, and a little extra from the people that see it print the way you intended and "get it."

POSSIBLE OUTCOME #3: The design not only prints as intended, but well. Woot's printing abilities have progressed, and it comes out great. You get paid $1000, and get hundreds of extra sales in the coming weeks as the people that sat on the fence jump in.

In any of them, I think you end up the winner. The people who were rude and got on your case can do whatever they want, just do your thing, learn a lesson for next time if need be, develop some thick skin, and laugh all the way to the bank...then do it again in the coming weeks. Welcome HoumaDesigns!


If I've ever seen a post to end an online flame war, this is it.
You should consider becoming an Ambassador.
Next step, Palestine/Israel conflict, if you don't mind.

paulkremer


quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer

Of course, this is assuming it goes to print. I notice it just fell out of the fog. Designs bouncing in and out of the fog on Wednesday have a tough road ahead. Good luck Houma! Don't get discouraged if it doesn't place! Keep bringing us designs!

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
caseadey wrote:Wow this reminds me of the whole alien mess a few weeks ago. Please learn how to take the comments and not get so offended. If people like they will vote for it, end of story. The attitude in the post almost make me not to want to vote for it.


You're taking things too seriously. houma's comment cracked me up and pointed out how completely ridiculous it was that someone was talking to him in all-caps about a topic that almost everybody except eHalycon was blowing way out of proportion.

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

there are waaay too many comments on this design. i mean, it's not even drawn by jamescho.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
byrbwr wrote:there are waaay too many comments on this design. i mean, it's not even drawn by jamescho.


;^)

lwoodnj


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwoodnj
DavidShenoda wrote:I think they should be called "glow"flies instead of fireflies. I mean they're not really on fire. It's a little misleading to those who expect to see flaming insects flying around.

Anywho, despite the invisible tree, this is still a "perfect for woot" design. Good job choosing your idea.


...what?

I think he's willing to take that risk.

Thank you for your valued input, ridiculously ignorant of common pop-culture phrases as it may be. I'm sure the artist really appreciates you letting him know about this small but discriminated against demographic.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
lwoodnj wrote:Thank you for your valued input, ridiculously ignorant of common pop-culture phrases as it may be. I'm sure the artist really appreciates you letting him know about this small but discriminated against demographic.


Ya know, I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure David was just being facetious.

damnedelf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages damnedelf
Re: People of the Fireflies


very clever and beautifully done. it has my vote. good luck!

ISO30


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ISO30
lwoodnj wrote:...what?

I think he's willing to take that risk.

Thank you for your valued input, ridiculously ignorant of common pop-culture phrases as it may be. I'm sure the artist really appreciates you letting him know about this small but discriminated against demographic.


No, really. Same applies to fireants. I specifically chose just a regular ant for my piece because to depict a fireant would of course require the ant to be aflame, which wouldn't work well in the snowy environment.

12sunflowers


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 12sunflowers
byrbwr wrote:there are waaay too many comments on this design. i mean, it's not even drawn by jamescho.



all i can say is WHATEVER to jamescho- i lost respect for him after his rant on the dinosaur pocket shirt-

bethlehemstarr


quality posts: 19 Private Messages bethlehemstarr
Re: People of the Fireflies


Soooooo pretty!
I would love to wear this shirt. I don't normally go for the really 'complicated' designs (as I don't really want people to spend a long time staring at my chest- and be giving them a viable excuse to do so)... but I love this one. It's subtle, and it makes me smile. Which is a great combination. It also makes me a little sad too- can't really explain that one. So I guess I find this shirt bittersweet.
It's pretty. I'm a girl- I'm allowed to like pretty shirts. I like it, I want it, I will definitely buy it.

Good Luck!!!

mlsfishi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlsfishi
Re: People of the Fireflies


I really like this shirt, and hope it gets back into the fog (and wins, of course!) I hope it prints the perfect amount of subtle, because I like when people have to take a second look at my shirts. =) Good luck!

12sunflowers


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 12sunflowers
Re: People of the Fireflies



and i really really REALLY like this shirt- it's going to be suspenseful until the deadline today! it's pretty close . . .

capttylor34


quality posts: 0 Private Messages capttylor34
12sunflowers wrote:all i can say is WHATEVER to jamescho- i lost respect for him after his rant on the dinosaur pocket shirt-


You should give him a little bit of a break. He is harassed every week on this site, by random people who spend too much time on this site. Anyone would start to lose their patience after a certain amount of time.

paulkremer


quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer
12sunflowers wrote:and i really really REALLY like this shirt- it's going to be suspenseful until the deadline today! it's pretty close . . .


No kidding! Based on the way the derbies usually run, a shirt popping in and out of 4th place usually doesn't make it to print. But this shirt has been dancing with pocket dinosaur for 4th and 5th, now for the first time the snowflake has fallen into 5th, meaning that this shirt, snowflake, and dinosaur are all within just a few votes. This could make it to print yet!!!

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
capttylor34 wrote:You should give him a little bit of a break. He is harassed every week on this site, by random people who spend too much time on this site. Anyone would start to lose their patience after a certain amount of time.


Agreed. His shirt designs aside, Cho has been a good and friendly member of this community and has taken *way* too much unjustified taunting and derision from a few members of this community. I think he is allowed, and has earned the right, to defend himself and even lose his temper after the year of weekly bile that has been spewed at him.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

capttylor34 wrote:You should give him a little bit of a break. He is harassed every week on this site, by random people who spend too much time on this site. Anyone would start to lose their patience after a certain amount of time.


I agree, because someone is successful on this site I think people feel like they have free reign to say whatever they want about them, then when they actually <gasp> stand up for themselves they have a bad attitude or are ranting or too sensitive or can't take a critique. If you had people analyzing and questioning your every move you might not be so quick to pass judgment on James. I think everything he said in his thread was spot on.

jal392


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jal392

amazing!

lindalaverty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindalaverty

lwoodnj


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwoodnj
IndependentVik wrote:Ya know, I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure David was just being facetious.


If that is the case:

Terrible, terrible Joke.

If not, I stand by my original statement.

I think that covers all the bases.
Any other interpretations?

lwoodnj


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwoodnj
ISO30 wrote:No, really. Same applies to fireants. I specifically chose just a regular ant for my piece because to depict a fireant would of course require the ant to be aflame, which wouldn't work well in the snowy environment.


I don't know what your shirt is, nor will I bother to find out.

However, if you wanted to draw red ants that bite and you did not because you believed calling them fire ants would require they be on fire, I can be fairly certain that there is little to no hope of anything you did being less contrived than that belief, so I doubt I'm missing out on anything.

Thanks for clarifying though!

Uraha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Uraha

Seeing this shirt makes me sad I didn't vote at all this Derby... Hope it wins 2nd or 3rd D:

RobinBobcat


quality posts: 41 Private Messages RobinBobcat

[quote]Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24665]People of the Fireflies

You know.. If I got this, I'd have to hit the white bits with some hi-grade blue GITD paint I've got..

Seriously, if there's a shirt that needs GITD paint, this would be it.

Come to think of it, that would make for a *very* nifty Derby: Glow In The Dark, where they would spring for the extra cost for the glow paint, and amazing things would happen..

Meow

Go Squarryls!

ehcastellanos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehcastellanos
Re: People of the Fireflies


i hope this past i really like it

sublime3sixteen


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sublime3sixteen
ehcastellanos wrote:i hope this past i really like it


I just spent way to much time reading this whole discussion. My head hurts a bit. I'm buying this shirt. To those of you that think it will print badly, don't buy it. Buyer beware. That's life. Live with it. Move on. Again. I'm buying this shirt if i get the chance. Ciao.

100indecisions


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 100indecisions
Re: People of the Fireflies


Man, if this doesn't get printed I may just cry. And then again I want the pocket dinosaur too. Argh.

hoonaynay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoonaynay
Re: People of the Fireflies


the design is awesome houma. though the navy shirt Will be a bit darker, I still think it's going to look pretty kick--- in person. so people will have to look a bit harder to see what's on the shirt, that's nothing.

swissmr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages swissmr
Re: People of the Fireflies


Hey ive hread alot of this thread but has anyone else been reminded of Ferngully:The last Rainforest when looking at this shirt. I really liked that movie when i was younger. late 80's early 90's

pizzaplaya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pizzaplaya
Re: People of the Fireflies


would totally buy!!

gummygod


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gummygod

this shirt deserved 1st, but doest even get sold. shame

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail