Derby #84: The Sea
+338

The Awakening

The Awakening
add a comment

Comments

bellarific


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: The Awakening


DO WANT

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
Re: The Awakening


Forged in the fires of the earth when the world was still young, it had seen the passing of a thousand generations, and the waging of a thousand wars, the ultimate weapon for a time of chaos. In a more civilised age it was bound in chains, kept as the guardian of the most dazzling city of earth.

But Atlantis sank.

In the depths of a fathomless ocean it stood, never sleeping, imprisoned in the chambers of the sea.

Waiting.

Until now...

maltzmania


quality posts: 0 Private Messages maltzmania
Re: The Awakening


awesome!

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey

shakethesheets


quality posts: 2 Private Messages shakethesheets
Re: The Awakening


sweet!

arcsus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
Re: The Awakening


Looks great.

contessa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages contessa
Re: The Awakening


This would make a great print.

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
Re: The Awakening


Love the artwork!
:c)

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: The Awakening


Yes. This is terrific.


jewelwing


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
Re: The Awakening


Yay for artwork! Great illustration.

koopadaisy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koopadaisy
Re: The Awakening


I love this.

toe2254


quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254
Re: The Awakening


great illustration! and good to see you back

psherman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages psherman
Re: The Awakening


awesome work, love the style

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: The Awakening


Baron Von Monkey. Able to lure the Threadlessians out from hiding to comment.

For that alone, if not also your excellent sketch-style, we need more of you.

bsweber


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bsweber
Re: The Awakening


go get 'em, mr. turner! gmv ++++1




tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: The Awakening


You got my favorite style, Von Monkey.

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
AdderXYU wrote:Baron Von Monkey. Able to lure the Threadlessians out from hiding to comment.

For that alone, if not also your excellent sketch-style, we need more of you.


ha ha ha!

EricDiaz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages EricDiaz
Re: The Awakening


PRINT!!

hookemhorns212


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hookemhorns212

Yay I like this entry! Potential for some great shirts this week! Come on voters!!

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
hookemhorns212 wrote:Yay I like this entry! Potential for some great shirts this week! Come on voters!!


Thanks hookem!

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: The Awakening


I love this irrationally! Great style and concept. GMVFMFS.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Re: The Awakening



Oh, how I love this, potential-nipple-pincher be damned! Absolutely gorgeous, lush sketch-work. GMV!
(I also continue to hope Visitor from the North gets printed somehow)

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: The Awakening

So refreshingly scratchy.


databit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: The Awakening


Excellent work! Nice!

DaddyRPM


quality posts: 1 Private Messages DaddyRPM

This one is great!!, I would order a few...

keep up the great work!!

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
databit wrote:Excellent work! Nice!


Thanks guys! Really appreciate all the comments!

Oh and if you like this, check out my other robot illustrations on my flickr

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
VonMonkey wrote:Thanks guys! Really appreciate all the comments!

Oh and if you like this, check out my other robot illustrations on my flickr


Very cool. I am in love with this design.
Shot you a pm.

trekmiss


quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss
Re: The Awakening


GMV as promised.

marya313


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marya313
Re: The Awakening


Fab of Course!!!

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: The Awakening


Awesomeness! I love the dark mood and all the shading, GMV dude!!!

Shigwarm


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Shigwarm
Re: The Awakening


This is an awesome design! Love your style too! Did you draw it by hand and then scan/edit it?

Tanapangarap


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tanapangarap
Re: The Awakening


Into the fog with you!

Get with The Program.

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
Shigwarm wrote:This is an awesome design! Love your style too! Did you draw it by hand and then scan/edit it?


Thanks everyone! Yep, I do most of my designs with pen and ink (rapidographs) and then edit them in photoshop

ratkiss


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ratkiss
Re: The Awakening



This is the best ever.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: The Awakening


VM, I must wear this. You've done all you can do at this point, so I will do everything I can....

You Have My Vote!

(always love your work, it's so pretty)

riffmaster18


quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
Re: The Awakening


love the illustration!


Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

renfrue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages renfrue
Re: The Awakening


This will sell out right quick!

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: The Awakening


this is probably going to fog for a long while, and maybe to the end. it may very well go to print...but i'm not sure i really understand why. i don't want to be a negative nancy here (and i realize i could just NOT post), but i'm wondering if i am just the only one who feels this way?

the problem i have is not with the art at all, i think it's a quite nice drawing, and a lovely concept. would make a great poster, wallpaper, etc...but i struggle to see how this makes a nice SHIRT? it looks so boxy; as if it were designed for an 11x17 sheet of paper and not designed with the shirt in mind.

i'm all for good quality art seeing the fog, but i think the spatial relations on the shirt itself are very important. am i alone in this?

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
Irrelevant wrote:this is probably going to fog for a long while, and maybe to the end. it may very well go to print...but i'm not sure i really understand why. i don't want to be a negative nancy here (and i realize i could just NOT post), but i'm wondering if i am just the only one who feels this way?

the problem i have is not with the art at all, i think it's a quite nice drawing, and a lovely concept. would make a great poster, wallpaper, etc...but i struggle to see how this makes a nice SHIRT? it looks so boxy; as if it were designed for an 11x17 sheet of paper and not designed with the shirt in mind.

i'm all for good quality art seeing the fog, but i think the spatial relations on the shirt itself are very important. am i alone in this?


Thanks nancy! You're probably right, but I'd wear it on a shirt, and apparently so would a few other people, I guess. I always try to do something a bit different to the woot norm when I enter, but sorry if you don't dig it

SpastasticNomadic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
Re: The Awakening


Have I told you lately that I love your style? Because I dooooo! I just ordered another Reader tee from Cameesa as well, and my Mandelion tee is groovilicious. However, now that I've seen your Flying Machine design on your blog, I want that, too!

Also, did you ever do anything with your Helium design? I'm still loving that one as well.

Needless to say, you have my vote.

Eglowy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eglowy

Eglowy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eglowy

wa hoo it worked

Eglowy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eglowy

kinda

christermime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages christermime
Re: The Awakening


Hoping to see this hit the fog soon...

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

SpastasticNomadic wrote:I just ordered another Reader tee from Cameesa


Oh gods, I just bought that one a couple of days ago and didn't even notice it was by Von Monkey. No wonder I loved it! And this!

noisdois


quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois

Awesome. I'd like to see how well it comes out in the print. I'm not sure if woot is capable of printing all the tiny details in the waves. I'd hate to see this design rejected for that. :/

dekonstruct


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: The Awakening


The nipple pinching is what sells this for me.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

dekonstruct wrote:The nipple pinching is what sells this for me.

The nipple pinching being what sells this for you is what sells you for me.

Boom! goes the dynamite!

OnyxEyez


quality posts: 6 Private Messages OnyxEyez
Re: The Awakening


Very interesting. Not sure about the size of it on the shirt, but it is surely original.

Woot: x 41
Shirt.Woot: x 41
Sellout.Woot: x 11
Kids.Woot: x 4
Wine.Woot: x none. Wine gives me migraines. I'll take the cheese tho.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
dekonstruct wrote:The nipple pinching is what sells this for me.


Told ya you were twisted (and no, I won't tell your wife!)

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: The Awakening


Very nice. Reminds me a bit of Battle of the Iron Clads by rlgee.

I haven't yet seen anything I want to buy from this derby (which is disappointing, because I really like the theme) but I think this design is my favourite so far.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

MafiaAce


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MafiaAce
VonMonkey wrote:Thanks nancy! You're probably right, but I'd wear it on a shirt, and apparently so would a few other people, I guess. I always try to do something a bit different to the woot norm when I enter, but sorry if you don't dig it


This is significantly better than some recent top 4 shirts...

Especially the last derby.

I don't understand why so many wooters are afraid of shirts as art. The reason I started buying shirts from here in the first place is that wearing a piece of attractive artwork beats the hell out of the same garbage everyone gets at JcPenny.

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
noisdois wrote:Awesome. I'd like to see how well it comes out in the print. I'm not sure if woot is capable of printing all the tiny details in the waves. I'd hate to see this design rejected for that. :/


Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! Woot shouldn't have a problem with screenprinting this- I've had a quite a few designs screened with similar levels of detail in the past, and from what I've seen the woot printers are pretty pro.

Anyway, I don't think it's looking too hopeful for Mr Robo, but I really appreciate everyone who's taken the time to vote! You guys are awesome

lollop0


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lollop0
re: the awakening


this shirt is definitely awesome but i the only one who thinks it would be even cooler if it was some big sea monster (i was thinkin cthulu) instead of a robot? oh well, like i said awesome design anyway, hope it gets printed!

rglee129


quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
eHalcyon wrote:Very nice. Reminds me a bit of Battle of the Iron Clads by rlgee.

I haven't yet seen anything I want to buy from this derby (which is disappointing, because I really like the theme) but I think this design is my favourite so far.


I thought that, too. Same premise also (Atlantean battlebot arises...) I think it's a new genre. Nice work, V.M.!

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
rglee129 wrote:I thought that, too. Same premise also (Atlantean battlebot arises...) I think it's a new genre. Nice work, V.M.!


Oh no! Just had a look and it is quite similar- completely coincidental I assure you (though yours is ace too)

alexskbrown


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexskbrown
Re: The Awakening


I don't know... reminds me a bit of early xkcd

Zenverse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zenverse
Re: The Awakening

I'm not a robot-shirt wearing type of gal, but if I were, I would definately buy this shirt. It would be a refresing break from the simple, cutesy, and anime style shirts that have been dominating the derbies. Even anime loving otakus like me have their limits =P. Despite the fact that I probably won't buy this for myself, you GMV. This deserves to be printed.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
eHalcyon wrote:Very nice. Reminds me a bit of Battle of the Iron Clads by rlgee.

I haven't yet seen anything I want to buy from this derby (which is disappointing, because I really like the theme) but I think this design is my favourite so far.


Yeeeep. In another very very disappointing derby, the only piece of really good art (the other is Boots's design, but I'm not into it) is going to get left behind.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

blammoed


quality posts: 1 Private Messages blammoed
Re: The Awakening


Wow, this is incredible. I really love this style, and the white ink only with so much depth is blowing my mind. Very impressive work.

ebonyglider


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ebonyglider
Re: The Awakening


you've got my vote

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
eHalcyon wrote:Very nice. Reminds me a bit of Battle of the Iron Clads by rlgee.

I haven't yet seen anything I want to buy from this derby (which is disappointing, because I really like the theme) but I think this design is my favourite so far.


Weird; I feel exactly the same way.

VM, if you put this up at Cameesa, count me in as a supporter (should it not magically rally of course!). I'm not even that attached to robots (though I love rglee's shirts), but, something about this guy and the feel of the design speaks to me. The concept of his awakening from the depths of the ocean (interpret as one will) and the rich, gorgeous illustration... yes, I will support this and really hope it will print somewhere!

rdonley11


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdonley11
Re: The Awakening


Oooh, I like this! Reminds me of Edward Gorey's style.

VonMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
heartluce wrote:Weird; I feel exactly the same way.

VM, if you put this up at Cameesa, count me in as a supporter (should it not magically rally of course!). I'm not even that attached to robots (though I love rglee's shirts), but, something about this guy and the feel of the design speaks to me. The concept of his awakening from the depths of the ocean (interpret as one will) and the rich, gorgeous illustration... yes, I will support this and really hope it will print somewhere!


Aw, thanks everyone! Yep, I don't think I have a chance against the big hitters in this derby anymore (though I'm hoping I might at least stay top ten!), but I'll definitely think about putting it somewhere else when it's woot time is up. I really appreciate all the support though, makes me think it *might* be worthwhile trying to do the derby a bit more regularly!

hasdgfas


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hasdgfas
Re: The Awakening


I love this style. Please keep entering here. We need more like this.

ArsenalOfCharm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArsenalOfCharm
Re: The Awakening


Love the art, great style, I'm really hoping this shirt gets put up for sale, really looking forward to buying one

narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: The Awakening


always love your line work!


marzipanapple


quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: The Awakening


Reminds me of scratch board. This is way too awesome. The detail is mind blowing, truly. I love it.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail