Derby #84: The Sea
+377

Squiddies!

Squiddies!
add a comment

Comments

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
Re: Squiddies!


I decided I like it on navy more.

I wanted to draw a cute squid picture, I love squid. Here is my reasoning behind them-

1: Normal squid
2: Squid playing with/attacking a pirate ship
3: Squid inking... oops :O
4: Squid sleeping on a sushi bed.

fablefire


quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
Re: Squiddies!


I think my Lil'Cthulhus are in love.

takelondon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages takelondon
Re: Squiddies!


I actually liked your past designs a lot, but now you're just taking the topic, making it chibi, and putting it on a shirt with no purpose to try and sell?

kawaiikes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kawaiikes
Re: Squiddies!


I found out about shirt.woot through my friend wearing Easy Optimism around me, and he and his college roommates agreed it was hilarious.

I LOVE Optimistic Courtship; bought it immediately upon release.

My significant other just ordered me Imposter.

I think this shirt is a huge disappoinment. What is the point of it? Blushing, smiling, and squealing chibi squid bouncing around and doing things that a real squid would never do?

-50 to respect D:

I'll still check out your future shirts because I love you as an artist, but this shirt has no point, in my opinion.

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
takelondon wrote:I actually liked your past designs a lot, but now you're just taking the topic, making it chibi, and putting it on a shirt with no purpose to try and sell?


I'm not exactly sure what the criticism is - I've stated many times that I like cute things, and I would definitely wear this shirt if it won (I love squid), although I don't expect it to. :p If anything, you should question my tastes, not my integrity.

I don't plan to only do cute designs (in fact, I have another one I'm working on right now) but I don't plan to give them up.

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
kawaiikes wrote:
I'll still check out your future shirts because I love you as an artist, but this shirt has no point, in my opinion.


I'm sorry it's disappointing, but honestly, I just wanted to do a cute squid shirt. It wasn't really supposed to have a point. xD

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: Squiddies!


oh seki...hmm. is one of them, umm...relieveing itself?

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
Irrelevant wrote:oh seki...hmm. is one of them, umm...relieveing itself?


It's inking.

xjacekx


quality posts: 1 Private Messages xjacekx

I think it's an adorable shirt and I would buy it in a heart beat ^_^ I've loved all your designs and I do hope to see this one printed!

kawaiikes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kawaiikes
Re: Squiddies!


I'm not mad at you as a person, but I do wish your submission to this derby had been more. . . interesting, maybe? I don't dislike the art, just the lack of a solid idea behind it.

But on a brighter note, I get tons of compliments on Optimistic Courtship. So despite all of the stupid melodrama surrounding that shirt, thanks for bringing it to us (:

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
kawaiikes wrote:I found out about shirt.woot through my friend wearing Easy Optimism around me, and he and his college roommates agreed it was hilarious.

I LOVE Optimistic Courtship; bought it immediately upon release.

My significant other just ordered me Imposter.

I think this shirt is a huge disappoinment. What is the point of it? Blushing, smiling, and squealing chibi squid bouncing around and doing things that a real squid would never do?

-50 to respect D:

I'll still check out your future shirts because I love you as an artist, but this shirt has no point, in my opinion.


This is what you wrote to me during the double-take derby:


"If I posted nasty, snippy comments on every shirt I believed was doing better or worse than I personally felt it should, I might have as many posts as you do, anyway.

I can only hope that through my pleasant comments, and possibly less pleasant debate with those trying to make trouble, I will someday have as many posts as you."

I guess you did just that here, but yet you don't like others giving their opinions of what they like and dislike. Also, on nramen's Motivation shirt last night, you did the same thing. Practice what you preach please or don't preach.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
takelondon wrote:I actually liked your past designs a lot, but now you're just taking the topic, making it chibi, and putting it on a shirt with no purpose to try and sell?


"now"?

kawaiikes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kawaiikes
heartluce wrote:This is what you wrote to me during the double-take derby:


"If I posted nasty, snippy comments on every shirt I believed was doing better or worse than I personally felt it should, I might have as many posts as you do, anyway.

I can only hope that through my pleasant comments, and possibly less pleasant debate with those trying to make trouble, I will someday have as many posts as you."

I guess you did just that here, but yet you don't like others giving their opinions of what they like and dislike. Also, on nramen's Motivation shirt last night, you did the same thing. Practice what you preach please or don't preach.


Or I could write legitimate opinions and criticism as opposed to just mindless anger? I could understand your thinking I was a hypocrite if I'd said something like "your art style is horrible, Seki! Your shirts are bad! Leave shirt.woot!"

Logic wins over a lack thereof every time.

And it is at least a little bit strange that you've memorized posts I've made.

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant

woot

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

kawaiikes wrote:Or I could write legitimate opinions and criticism as opposed to just mindless anger? I could understand your thinking I was a hypocrite if I'd said something like "your art style is horrible, Seki! Your shirts are bad! Leave shirt.woot!"

Logic wins over a lack thereof every time.

And it is at least a little bit strange that you've memorized posts I've made.


Ahh, so your opinions are "legitimate... criticism", but those who express opinions contrary to your general state of approval are just exhibiting "mindless anger?" I... see.

I believe your understanding of "logic" and "lack thereof" could use some further schooling.

Nor is it strange that heartluce has "memorized" posts. When one has engaged in a discussion with a person in the near past, one will usually remember having that discussion. The beauty of the net is such that one can go back and easily find that exact, written discussion in less than 10 seconds. THE INTERNET! IT'S MAGIC.

Edit, add: Also!! Please--your first post, to which heartluce was responding--tell me that was satire. That was satire, right? You were being subtly satirical? Because... just... if that comment was serious... WOW, talk about "logic" and "lack thereof". Do you realize that Optimistic Courtship and Imposter also have absolutely no "point" according to your vague criteria for a "point"? And that they show anthropomorphic animals doing things that those animals never do?! Consistency is usually the main criterion of non-hypocrisy. Sort of the definition of it, actually.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
goldenthorn wrote:Ahh, so your opinions are "legitimate... criticism", but those who express opinions contrary to your general state of approval are just exhibiting "mindless anger?" I... see.

I believe your understanding of "logic" and "lack thereof" could use some further schooling.

Nor is it strange that heartluce has "memorized" posts. When one has engaged in a discussion with a person in the near past, one will usually remember having that discussion. The beauty of the net is such that one can go back and easily find that exact, written discussion in less than 10 seconds. THE INTERNET! IT'S MAGIC.

Edit, add: Also!! Please--your first post, to which heartluce was responding--tell me that was satire. That was satire, right? You were being subtly satirical? Because... just... if that comment was serious... WOW, talk about "logic" and "lack thereof". Do you realize that Optimistic Courtship and Imposter also have absolutely no "point" according to your vague criteria for a "point"? And that they show anthropomorphic animals doing things that those animals never do?! Consistency is usually the main criterion of non-hypocrisy. Sort of the definition of it, actually.


Bravo goldenthorn! Yes, through the magic of the interwebs I actually looked it up. Took less than 10 seconds as you said. Thanks for your words :D. Appreciated.

rowanmikaio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanmikaio
Re: Squiddies!


This shirt is dangerously similar to imposter. I'll admit I'm a little disappointed with it, as far as creativity goes, and it's not as funny or as cute :/

Guess I'll just see what you do next week.

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
rowanmikaio wrote:This shirt is dangerously similar to imposter. I'll admit I'm a little disappointed with it, as far as creativity goes, and it's not as funny or as cute :/

Guess I'll just see what you do next week.


I don't think it's similar to Imposter except for the placement. Anyway, I do have another entry this week (see the link in my signature) and I might do another one tomorrow depending, 'Sea' is a pretty broad theme and is way more fun to draw for than Exercise.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

kawaiikes wrote: What is the point of it? ... [D]oing things that a real squid would never do?


I need to learn to quit while I'm ahead, I know. Yet I feel the need to address this further, just because of how flabbergasting your comments were to me.

There is a clear point. A squid doing squid things:
1. Squid being squid.
2. Squid embracing the ship it has sunk in its fictional Kraken incarnation.
3. Squid inking.
4. Squid sleeping on a bed of rice, with a piece of seaweed for a pillow, waiting to be delicious.

One can question/criticize the style. I would, if I felt the need. But I actually think this is one of seki's better chibi designs. I would totally get it for my tween cousin, and she would love it.

But questioning the content? It does helps to take a moment and observe, absorb, think, and process before criticizing something specific. In case you missed something in the first look.

Unless you were writing satirically? I'm still holding out hope.

fablefire


quality posts: 24 Private Messages fablefire
fablefire wrote:I think my Lil'Cthulhus are in love.


Couldn't help myself.

icymallard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Squiddies!


haha, she reminds me of a mix between blooper from mario and the jellyfish from finding nemo. both are great GMV

Krygore


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Krygore

This design looks almost identical to 'Imposter'. :/

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Kawaii squids! Aww.

Vote



kawaiikes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kawaiikes
goldenthorn wrote:
Edit, add: Also!! Please--your first post, to which heartluce was responding--tell me that was satire. That was satire, right? You were being subtly satirical? Because... just... if that comment was serious... WOW, talk about "logic" and "lack thereof". Do you realize that Optimistic Courtship and Imposter also have absolutely no "point" according to your vague criteria for a "point"? And that they show anthropomorphic animals doing things that those animals never do?! Consistency is usually the main criterion of non-hypocrisy. Sort of the definition of it, actually.


I actually understand the joke and silliness behind the other two shirts--Optimistic Courtship because the theme of the derby was optimism, and the idea of an infatuated dog trying to entice a cat to look past the idea of interspecies by offering something that a cat--and not a dog--would like (a fish), is a funny / interesting concept to me.

And though "Imposter" wasn't AS winter-specific as it could have been, I thought that the concept was, though maybe not as interesting (in my opinion) as Optimistic Courtship, was quite funny, up to the carrot in the rabbit's mouth seeming like a beak. And I felt the entire shirt was pulled together by the four animals being grouped together on an iceberg.

Maybe it was the lack-of-togetherness of this shirt that bothered me so much.

But it seems that my commentary on this shirt has offended you (and heartluce) more than it did Sekiyoku, and I wasn't being pointlessly harsh and abusive, so I don't see why I was snapped at me in the first place.

Edit: And the only reason I was angry with heartluce in the double-take derby was because he (she?) made the snide remark of, "Yes, why not buy like 100." And he (she? sorry) was being seemingly condescending by noting a high number of "new people . . . with one or a few posts". If that was not intended to be condescending, I'm legitimately sorry for having interpreted it that way.

I've expressed distaste in shirts, and explained my logic, but I've never mocked or specifically addressed one person for liking a shirt, or saying they were going to buy one. I wasn't angry at heartluce's negative opinion of Optimistic Courtship--observe that I never responded to the comment about the size of the head(s) / art style.

I was only offended at the snide remark about buying 100 shirts.

takelondon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages takelondon
AdderXYU wrote:"now"?


I dunno, seemed like the past shirts had some sort of meaning beyond simply the image on the shirt. Optimistic Courtship got my vote because the cuteness didn't come from the art (in my mind, the art was cute as well though) but from the action between the cat and dog. The reason I'm not a fan of this design is just because there's no message in it; just anthropomorphizing squids and placing still frames of them doing activities on a shirt seems pretty vacant. Hopefully that articulates what I mean better.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Squiddies!


I like the Squiddies... When I first saw it, I thought Seki was probably on crack. Cute squids: one loves his boatie, one poops, one is sleeping. I mean, Ever just think about breadsticks?, right? So, I like it. I think I would have bought it when it was on the other colored shirt, though. You could see the poop better on that one (I mean "ink!")


rglee129


quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Squiddies!


This could potentially be better if it somehow told a story. With your "Imposter" design it you could just imagine what happened before and after the event on the shirt.

Chalda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chalda
Re: Squiddies!

It's very cute but as someone familiar with marine biology I just have to say, the tentacles don't come out of their sides. They originate at the same area as the arms.

Please make a seal shirt. I will love you forever!

Pigfreak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pigfreak
Re: Squiddies!


I don't really know why anyone would want to wear a shirt with butt plug squids on it...

elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
Re: Squiddies!


This shirt is just awesome. I think what sold me was the sheepiefishie. <3

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
fablefire wrote:Couldn't help myself.


Point of order.

The flute should be cracked.
*nod nod*

Stellardig


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
Re: Squiddies!


Very Cutie! Good Job

instantkarma


quality posts: 0 Private Messages instantkarma
Re: Squiddies!


I know, as someone who enjoys original ideas and outstanding artwork, that I probably shouldn't like this shirt.

However...DO WANT. They're adorable.

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

i like cute stuff.

bro3of4


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bro3of4
godfreytemple wrote:Point of order.

The flute should be cracked.
*nod nod*


Um, I think that's a yellow submarine that's being offered. Or am I just missing something?

Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

SarahCarpenter


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SarahCarpenter

I think this shirt is adorable.
I hope it wins because I really want it!
^_^

Reawen


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
Re: Squiddies!


Very cute. Too cute for me to wear personally, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it for what it is. ^_^

KessiTheNinja


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KessiTheNinja
Re: Squiddies!


<3 So much love goes towards this shirt!=]<3

shirerose


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shirerose
Re: Squiddies!



got my vote

ack154


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ack154
Re: Squiddies!


This really has to be one of the dumbest shirts I've ever seen. Anime squids? Really? And a pooping squid?

databit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: Squiddies!


Uber chibi kawaii cute.

ChronoSquall14


quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

That second squid really recalls Jon Coulton's "I Crush Everything". Super cute!

happyabby


quality posts: 1 Private Messages happyabby
Re: Squiddies!


wow guys. way to be mean.
I think it's a reallty cute design

pinkcrayon1215


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkcrayon1215
I personally think it is funny how seriously people take this stuff...i don't see anything wrong with cutesy shirts...i personally get sick of the super artsy shirts i see on Woot because i would never wear them...not because they suck but because they aren't me...i prefer the ones that make people laugh or go "aww". Maybe it's because i am a girl

I like this shirt and i would wear it if it won...i just find humor in the fact that people are expressing such utter disappointment as though it is the end of the world...it makes me laugh.

( i know i will probably get grief for it, but i don't care!)

Re: Squiddies!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
pinkcrayon1215 wrote:I personally think it is funny how seriously people take this stuff...i don't see anything wrong with cutesy shirts...i personally get sick of the super artsy shirts i see on Woot because i would never wear them...not because they suck but because they aren't me...i prefer the ones that make people laugh or go "aww". Maybe it's because i am a girl

I like this shirt and i would wear it if it won...i just find humor in the fact that people are expressing such utter disappointment as though it is the end of the world...it makes me laugh.

( i know i will probably get grief for it, but i don't care!)


1) woot has VERY few super artsy shirts. Your standards are incredibly low.

2) yes, you like cutesy exclusively because you are a girl. You also suck at sports but excel at cooking, and have no place in an office building. It is a shame woot doesn't offer maternity shirts. Because you are a girl, and all you do is have babies.

3) in the short-term, this winning would be a blow to someone's finances who did work deserving a reward. not the end of the world, but in this economy, certainly bad. Thankfully it is unlikely. In the long-term, to me, this sort of shirt is a symbol of our culture's lack of ability to see past our own noses. It's incredibly disposable and instantly forgettable as soon as something else in the style comes along. It has no value past your wanting it. It's entire purpose is to be consumed. And it is my firm opinion that yes, that sort of thinking will do us in eventually. It's not a shirt. It's a whole destructive mindset.

ToraOni


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ToraOni
pinkcrayon1215 wrote:I personally think it is funny how seriously people take this stuff...i don't see anything wrong with cutesy shirts...i personally get sick of the super artsy shirts i see on Woot because i would never wear them...not because they suck but because they aren't me...i prefer the ones that make people laugh or go "aww". Maybe it's because i am a girl

I like this shirt and i would wear it if it won...i just find humor in the fact that people are expressing such utter disappointment as though it is the end of the world...it makes me laugh.

( i know i will probably get grief for it, but i don't care!)


Yeah I like the cute stuff, but I think I prefer a 50/50 with the artistic and cute stuff. Even though as a girl I like cute stuff I also like more artistic shirts, since really cute doesn't suite my mood everyday so my collection of woot shirts are more artistic than the cute stuff but I have been wanting some of the cute stuff since I want to even it out.

krouth


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krouth
fablefire wrote:Couldn't help myself.


Yours is better...

ChronoSquall14


quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

There is no "derserve" in a contest of this nature except that whoever predicts the interest of the masses deserves to win the most. Whether that shirt is unoriginal, a blatant nostalgia grab, or easy to draw doesn't matter.

For my part, I like this shirt lots as something my wife could wear. Sometimes I feel that it's hard to get female-centric shirts for her because many of the winning shirts are gender-neutral at best (with a few exceptions, such as "Fat Unicorn"), but I don't go disparaging entrants or their entries over it. I just get on with it and live my life.

And a girl can like cute stuff because she's a girl, for pete's sake. Taking someone's statement of preference and launching an offensive based on it is ridiculous.

pinkcrayon1215


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkcrayon1215
AdderXYU wrote:1) woot has VERY few super artsy shirts. Your standards are incredibly low.

2) yes, you like cutesy exclusively because you are a girl. You also suck at sports but excel at cooking, and have no place in an office building. It is a shame woot doesn't offer maternity shirts. Because you are a girl, and all you do is have babies.

3) in the short-term, this winning would be a blow to someone's finances who did work deserving a reward. not the end of the world, but in this economy, certainly bad. Thankfully it is unlikely. In the long-term, to me, this sort of shirt is a symbol of our culture's lack of ability to see past our own noses. It's incredibly disposable and instantly forgettable as soon as something else in the style comes along. It has no value past your wanting it. It's entire purpose is to be consumed. And it is my firm opinion that yes, that sort of thinking will do us in eventually. It's not a shirt. It's a whole destructive mindset.


Wow...that is the most insulting thing anyone has ever said about me or to me...i mean by far the MOST insulting...but hey at least you excel in something, jerkoff.

It's a friggin' shirt...lighten up francis. Sorry that i don't see fully your view as a shirt connoisseur and designer...I suppose i find myself looking to more substantial means of sustaining myself and my family in "this economy" than hoping on a whim that a website that sells one shirt a day will provide enough to keep my finances in check.

My favorite bit though, is the line that "It's entire purpose is to be consumed" and "that sort of thinking will do us in eventually." I mean...seriously? I mean, what is the purpose of designing shirts if they are not meant to be, as you say, "consumed." I thought that it was your belief that if this shirt won it would be a blow to someone else's finances. Was this other person's shirt not designed to be sold...i mean otherwise how would this silly squid shirt hurt their finances? It would seem to me that this mindset is a bit double standard. But i am "just a girl" and i am far inferior to what you think and say...

And by the way, either you are incredibly sexist or you are insinuating that i myself was playing the sex card...which is such a long shot it is not even funny. I appologize for the presence of my ovaries which make me by far the more inferior sex. I guarantee that i have more intelligence and capability in my little finger than you do in your whole being, buddy.

Bottom line...get real and grow up. Because if you do not do so now, it is going to be a painful reality when you are forced to do so in the future...especially in "this economy."

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail