Derby #84: The Sea
+564

Where the sea meets the sky

Where the sea meets the sky
add a comment

Comments

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


Hm... I had an idea to do something like an ocean of stars, and this stemmed from there. I tried to choose colors to give it a storybook feel. Hope you like!

In case you're wondering, the sea is on the left side... so yes, there are fish in the sky and birds in the sea.

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


interesting....i'll have to come back to this again and figure out what i think of this. i know i like the colors, a lot.

avhienda01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
Re: Where the sea meets the sky



I love the colors and how you drew the waves. It just looks so peaceful. The fishies are cute too! very nice.

RNSaffold


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RNSaffold
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


The design is a little too complex. Without a real focal point, I get confused about what is happening in the image. I couldn't tell those were fish right away because they are too similar to the waves in design and shape and color. The clouds, though darker, are also the same shape. Maybe if the clouds didn't have the yellow rim lighting, they would not compete with the fish so much for attention. You have these intense bright colors all over the piece and on such a dark shirt the contrast pulls focus. Yes, you do have the bright yellow circle, which I guess would be your focal point, but the values of the blues are so light they compete with it. It loses its importance. I am also not a fan of the symmetrical composition.

Not trying to be mean, but when I first looked at it, it was hard to understand what was visually going on. Perhaps simplify the fish and keep the complexity of the waves? They are many design solutions, but to me it is way to complicated visually to communicate at the moment.



kurokami


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kurokami
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


my main complaint is that the design appears very boxy on the shirt. otherwise i actually like this design.

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
Thanks you guys.

RNSaffold wrote:The design is a little too complex. Without a real focal point, I get confused about what is happening in the image. I couldn't tell those were fish right away because they are too similar to the waves in design and shape and color. The clouds, though darker, are also the same shape. Maybe if the clouds didn't have the yellow rim lighting, they would not compete with the fish so much for attention. You have these intense bright colors all over the piece and on such a dark shirt the contrast pulls focus. Yes, you do have the bright yellow circle, which I guess would be your focal point, but the values of the blues are so light they compete with it. It loses its importance. I am also not a fan of the symmetrical composition.

Not trying to be mean, but when I first looked at it, it was hard to understand what was visually going on. Perhaps simplify the fish and keep the complexity of the waves? They are many design solutions, but to me it is way to complicated visually to communicate at the moment.


I love contrast, so I sometimes go overboard with it. Thanks for your insightful critique. I'm not sure if I have a good enough sense of how to "fix" the picture that I would edit/resubmit, but I will definitely keep it in mind for the future.

RNSaffold


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RNSaffold
sekiyoku wrote:
I love contrast, so I sometimes go overboard with it. Thanks for your insightful critique. I'm not sure if I have a good enough sense of how to "fix" the picture that I would edit/resubmit, but I will definitely keep it in mind for the future.


I understand. Designing for dark shirts is hard >< You still want everything to read, but you still have to structure a visual hierarchy. But I like the color palette you have chosen, perhaps some tweaks in the value of those colors might help.



Shenorock


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Shenorock
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


Reminds me of birth of the moon

MrImpatientpants


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrImpatientpants
Shenorock wrote:Reminds me of birth of the moon


That's only because they're visually similar.

kawaiikes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kawaiikes
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


Okay, THIS ONE got my vote.

Thanks, Seki; as always, you've managed to live up to my expectations (:

Krygore


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Krygore
MrImpatientpants wrote:That's only because they're visually similar.


Probably why he's reminded of it?

skateboardstef


quality posts: 0 Private Messages skateboardstef
Shenorock wrote:Reminds me of birth of the moon


I was thinking the same thing. It's very pretty though.

jldg3489


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jldg3489

This one reminds me a lot of "Birth of the Moon" (which I loved and bought ^.^). I love this design, too...gmv.

gizagiza


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gizagiza

Beautiful <3 I love the diagonal design.

MrImpatientpants


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrImpatientpants
Krygore wrote:Probably why he's reminded of it?


That's what I was reminded of.

HarlequinHeart


quality posts: 0 Private Messages HarlequinHeart
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


Very good use of colors here. I like the look of the phosphorescence on the waves and how the fish and birds are in reverse roles. Unique design. I like

kreine60


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kreine60
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


This is my favorite! I love how it takes up so much of the shirt front, and it's a mature yet imaginative design.

Well done

jordie5000


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordie5000
kcman011 wrote:*YAWN...* Go away, troll.


The guy has been around a lot longer than you, maybe you should reserve your tired commands for another time.

kawaiikes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kawaiikes
kylemittskus wrote:That's because the terrible designer of this shirt is dating and lives with and cheats with the terrible designer of that terrible shirt.


I guess their shirts are so terrible, they sell out every time.

And that isn't the reason it's similar--it uses a similar colour scheme, which would make a lot of sense.

There are some other vague similarities between the two designs, but colour scheme is really the most prominent.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
kylemittskus wrote:That's because the terrible designer of this shirt is dating and lives with and cheats with the terrible designer of that terrible shirt.


No, Birth of the Moon was by sekiyoku as well. Same designer.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
kawaiikes wrote:I guess their shirts are so terrible, they sell out every time.

And that isn't the reason it's similar--it uses a similar colour scheme, which would make a lot of sense.

There are some other vague similarities between the two designs, but colour scheme is really the most prominent.


They sell out because all you kawaii chibi lovers invaded the site when they showed up. Believe me, a lot of us wish they would go away.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
eHalcyon wrote:No, Birth of the Moon was by sekiyoku as well. Same designer.


Designer is a hilarious word to use for Seki. She really does make Ramy look like Degas.

Salinga


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Salinga

Jykinturah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jykinturah
AdderXYU wrote:Designer is a hilarious word to use for Seki. She really does make Ramy look like Degas.


To design:
1)To conceive or fashion in the mind; invent
2)To formulate a plan for; devise
3)To plan out in systematic, usually graphic form
4)To create or contrive for a particular purpose or effect
5)To have as a goal or purpose; intend.
6)To create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner.

Looks well designed to me.

Even though I think it would look better as a poster.

Seems you carry some deep hate for ramyb as well... Don't like his winning streak? Don't take it too personally. You can't alter the majority opinion by making snide comments.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Jykinturah wrote:To design:
1)To conceive or fashion in the mind; invent
2)To formulate a plan for; devise
3)To plan out in systematic, usually graphic form
4)To create or contrive for a particular purpose or effect
5)To have as a goal or purpose; intend.
6)To create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner.

Looks well designed to me.

Even though I think it would look better as a poster.

Seems you carry some deep hate for ramyb as well... Don't like his winning streak? Don't take it too personally. You can't alter the majority opinion by making snide comments.


and you can't make their work good by saying so.

faithfulgrl08


quality posts: 0 Private Messages faithfulgrl08
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


I really like this shirt! <3 I hope it wins!

planeshifter2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages planeshifter2
AdderXYU wrote:and you can't make their work good by saying so.


And you can't make their work bad by saying so.

Jykinturah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jykinturah
snarkygal wrote:They sell out because all you kawaii chibi lovers invaded the site when they showed up. Believe me, a lot of us wish they would go away.


It is just too bad that Woot! won't do anything about those "kawaii chibi lovers" just because people like you whine and complain.

After all, Woot!'s point of existence is to get the money, and they get the money by selling the shirts, and they sell the shirts by letting the people buying the shirts vote for them so that they can sell as many as they can.

Which means if more people share your taste, the shirts you like will start to win.

And also, it is not like people who wish to have fewer bitchy comments in the derby complain about people bitching and complaining. Everyone likes to hear someone complain about their "oh so miserable" life because of an influx of voters look for "kawaii chibi" materials.

Oh, I understand that my reply doesn't make me look all too much better, but I read enough comments involving "(Insert exclamation here)! THE VOTE BASE IS (Insert derogatory swear word here) AHSDSNDAS", "(Insert exclamation here)! (Insert artist here) AND (Insert artist here) ARE LIKE COMPLETELY CHEATING, and "(Insert exclamation here)! YOU SUCK CAUSE YOU VOTED FOR (Insert artist here)."

Please just say something like, "I do not like this design because:" or "I like this art because:" or "I disagree with (Insert person's username here) because:" (not necessarily in that form).

Oh, sorry about singling you out, but your comment made all the other comments reach critical mass.

Damn it took a long time to type that.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
planeshifter2 wrote:And you can't make their work bad by saying so.


No, it's just so bad that it's incredibly obvious. Their work regularly lacks creativity and adequate theme usage. How a crapton of rabbits in an elevator equates to Cabin Fever, I still can't fathom. A Hedgehog trying to be an individual would have been nice had it shown belief or pride in itself, not fear of punishment for wearing a can of poorly dripping paint. I still cannot see how the theme of optimism was adequately shown through a grim reaper hovering over a dimwitted forest creature.
Some people work on concepts and create truly unique entries (much more deserving of a fog spot than fingerless chibis)... others just slap an almond headed something onto an entry and go for the sickeningly sweet jugular.

Jykinturah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jykinturah
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ERPmoYsoMg
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmWRCdUw17E

Flying fish and swimming birds

Jykinturah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jykinturah
AdderXYU wrote:and you can't make their work good by saying so.


I can consider my opinion, which is to say, I tend to like their work. Of course, there are many artists/designers here who's work I admire. I am certain there are artists/designers here who's work you admire. You seem to think that you are going to "improve" things according to your somewhat dogmatic and sarcastic attitude toward these artist's work.

I am sorry to say this, but many people think their work is good, hence their designs win over the ones you like.
There have been many entries I have wanted in the fog over some of the designs made by the artists you criticize, and yet they win, and I do not complain about it because the majority, no matter how "biased" it may be, chose.

Obviously, I cannot "make" their work good by saying I think it is good. You must also realize you cannot make it bad by personally believing it is bad. I can understand that people do not share my taste, and yet, this understanding is something you seem to lack.

I cannot pretend to know you, but sometimes I think you just enjoy attacking the integrity and ability of these artists by repeatedly criticizing them from a restrictive point of view that you have. This makes me somewhat sad, and somewhat angry in the defense of these artists.

I hold nothing against you. I did like the Van Gogh design you thought of. It was a very good concept; however, your attitude still seems somewhat restrictive. I can understand your dislike of the overly cute art that is starting to proliferate throughout shirt.woot. I am getting tired of it as well, but all you seem to do is criticize the artists who are merely creating entries that they think will appeal to their audience.

I am typing way too much lately.

Jykinturah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jykinturah
JadenKale wrote:No, it's just so bad that it's incredibly obvious. Their work regularly lacks creativity and adequate theme usage. How a crapton of rabbits in an elevator equates to Cabin Fever, I still can't fathom. A Hedgehog trying to be an individual would have been nice had it shown belief or pride in itself, not fear of punishment for wearing a can of poorly dripping paint. I still cannot see how the theme of optimism was adequately shown through a grim reaper hovering over a dimwitted forest creature.
Some people work on concepts and create truly unique entries (much more deserving of a fog spot than fingerless chibis)... others just slap an almond headed something onto an entry and go for the sickeningly sweet jugular.


I don't feel like repeating myself, but if you are reading all the comments on this thread, I am sure you will encounter one that applies to you as well.

However, I notice your criticism is differently aimed.

Yes, some entries, such as ramyb's recent "That's what she said" entry has almost no relation to "Exercise," which was that week's theme, even though the hamster (I think) was implied to have exercised under the supervision of a coach. I agree that the design was not focused too much on the derby itself, even though a connection can be seen.

Definition of Cabin Fever:
Cabin fever is a slang term for a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when a party is isolated and/or shut in, alone or together, for an extended period. Symptoms include restlessness, irritability, forgetfulness, and excessive sleeping.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_fever)

For the "Cabin Fever" entry, I can see a direct relation to the theme. It may take some thought because the elevator itself was open while crowded full of rabbits/bunnies, and an open elevator always looks and feels less crowded than a closed one.

The hedgehog one in "Individualism" does seem like a stretch because the hedgehog's expression is open to interpretation. In my opinion, it could have been made clearer, not to mention the paint was flowing strangely.

The squirrel one in "Optimism" actually makes perfect sense to me. Maybe it is a dimwitted forest creature, but a creature that attempts to trade a small acorn for its life. The grim reaper didn't seem that almond headed or chibi'ed for that matter.

Yes, people work hard on these entries. I can see the effort in them, and I can understand why you feel upset (maybe more than just upset) about some chibi almond-head-shaped design winning over it, but it seems you ignore the fact that the artist/designer didn't just click the magic mouse button to make the design. I may not know much about art, but I am certain time was invested in making a design, and the artist who happens to be winning often happens to have a style that appeals to the shirt.woot voting base. Of course, you can call this an underhanded blow, but it hardly seems the case that the winning artist is attacking you with the design.

You can make art, but if it isn't popular, you shouldn't criticize the winners. You insist on making artful, witty designs, do continue. Maybe one of them will resonate with the "almond-shaped-head" and "chibi" lovers.

I'm not attacking you by the way, just disagreeing.

godfreytemple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages godfreytemple
JadenKale wrote:No, it's just so bad that it's incredibly obvious. Their work regularly lacks creativity and adequate theme usage. How a crapton of rabbits in an elevator equates to Cabin Fever, I still can't fathom. A Hedgehog trying to be an individual would have been nice had it shown belief or pride in itself, not fear of punishment for wearing a can of poorly dripping paint. I still cannot see how the theme of optimism was adequately shown through a grim reaper hovering over a dimwitted forest creature.
Some people work on concepts and create truly unique entries (much more deserving of a fog spot than fingerless chibis)... others just slap an almond headed something onto an entry and go for the sickeningly sweet jugular.


*slinks guiltily to the back of the thread*

Taisakuopai


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Taisakuopai
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


This design is bewitchingly graceful; I love the flow of the waves over the moon, and the fish mingling with the stars. I noticed the birds under the waves shortly after I noticed the fish, and I find that, the more I look at this design, the more I seem to see. The moon that is half in, half out of the water reminds me of the moon's reflection over the water at night, when the sky and the sea really do seem as one.

It definitely has a storybook feel, as someone else mentioned, and that style really appeals to me. I would undoubtedly buy this shirt, and undoubtedly wear it often.

Congratulations on your beautiful concept and stunning design.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Where the sea meets the sky


This reminds me a bit of your awesome Birth of the Moon, but I'm not sure this one works in the same way. The composition is boxy and rigid, with a big harsh slash dividing it right in half instead of a soft organic feel you'd expect. Birth of the moon had a nice asymmetrical balance to it. This design has no focal point, leaving the eye to wander around. It's a good idea that makes you want to vote for it, but the design just isn't clicking for me. Good luck with it though.

fairnymph


quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
tgentry wrote:This reminds me a bit of your awesome Birth of the Moon, but I'm not sure this one works in the same way. The composition is boxy and rigid, with a big harsh slash dividing it right in half instead of a soft organic feel you'd expect. Birth of the moon had a nice asymmetrical balance to it. This design has no focal point, leaving the eye to wander around. It's a good idea that makes you want to vote for it, but the design just isn't clicking for me. Good luck with it though.


This is my issue too, despite the beautiful colours and design details and overall concept. In the end I just don't feel it's wearable, alas.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


I love this one its just beautiful!

WhatsInAName


quality posts: 0 Private Messages WhatsInAName
JadenKale wrote:...go for the sickeningly sweet jugular.


Something a serial killer might say?

dijin


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijin
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


This is similar to Birth of the Moon. But I feel this design doesn't flow as better. It's a bit messy to me.

graphix6


quality posts: 0 Private Messages graphix6
Re: Where the sea meets the sky


Very well done ! I like the idea and the concept !
Good luck !

slowjam


quality posts: 8 Private Messages slowjam
Re: Where the sea meets the sky
[img=100x100]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/sekiyoku/Where_the_sea_meets_the_sky__-usu5gi-d.jpg[/img]


I'm very sad that it looks like this shirt isn't going to win. At least I can save another $10 this derby.

kawaiikes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kawaiikes
snarkygal wrote:They sell out because all you kawaii chibi lovers invaded the site when they showed up. Believe me, a lot of us wish they would go away.


Kawaii chibi birth of the moon. . .

xD

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail