Derby #87: Art Deco
+848

Bomb Deco

Bomb Deco
add a comment

Comments

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
Re: Bomb Deco


resub collab. with my boi k-rob.

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
Re: Bomb Deco


There's a reason i call you the magic man- awesome job. thanks.

jewelwing


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
Re: Bomb Deco


This is a great idea. Huge improvement! This shirt is da bomb now.

chade2001


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
Re: Bomb Deco


nice! now, this is deco for sure!

gone!

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Bomb Deco


Nice Job +1


striker138


quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
Re: Bomb Deco


This is my favorite entry in the derby so far. Good job.


sundbe10


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10
Re: Bomb Deco


I really like this one and would buy it if it wins, but it looks like the gradient might be to fine.

SavedChristian


quality posts: 1 Private Messages SavedChristian
Re: Bomb Deco


This is one of the best designs in the derby!

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: Bomb Deco


Totally awesome. One of the few in this derby that are actually ACT DECO.

Nice job.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
sundbe10 wrote:I really like this one and would buy it if it wins, but it looks like the gradient might be to fine.


t3hloofa


quality posts: 6 Private Messages t3hloofa
Re: Bomb Deco


This is a must buy.

Stormink


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
Re: Bomb Deco


Nice colors and nice composition. Diggin' this shirt as one of my favorites of this derby.

Stuntdummy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stuntdummy
kdeuce wrote:resub collab. with my boi k-rob.


Perfect. Exactly what I had in mind. Hope you win!

Jackofallgames


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jackofallgames
Re: Bomb Deco

Wow! Nicely done!
This shirt has my vote.
Excellent job with the theme, and the bomber design is right up my alley.

Send this one to the fog! :D

Player of all. Master of none.

rocketjohn


quality posts: 3 Private Messages rocketjohn
Re: Bomb Deco


I like this, and am trying to vote it - but when I refreshed the page after voting, the number had gone down again.

Remove the vote, add it back - number goes up by one, refresh the page, and it's gone again.

Teutonicopeth


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Teutonicopeth
Re: Bomb Deco


One of the coolest designs I've seen on here


DavidShenoda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: Bomb Deco


This shirt is the bomb.

Fujiko


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fujiko

I can't even put a finger on it, but there's something I find strangely compelling about this design.

+1. Nice work.

gsworks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsworks
Fujiko wrote:I can't even put a finger on it, but there's something I find strangely compelling about this design.


It's really a powerful image. For me it conjures up thoughts of both the bomber and those who receive them. Heavy stuff indeed!
Excellent work!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Bomb Deco


Asphalt?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dankstick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
Re: Bomb Deco


The roundel dates the plane to sometime between 1943 and 1947. However, the roundel is on the wrong wing. One roundel per wing, one above and one below. Maybe the painters at the factory got confused with this one? It looks like a B-17 but the fuselage is too long ahead of the wing and the horizontal stabilizers are much smaller. The bombs appear to be torpedoes without the rear propeller; they don't have the distinctive teardrop shape of US or RAF aerial bombs. It does resemble a "cluster bomb" in shape, but I can't match it in any of my books.

Regardless, this is an epic scene. I don't want anyone to get flack from a WWII vet!

lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Re: Bomb Deco


Nicely done you two. You have my $10 dollars and I hope this wins.

NinjaStorm


quality posts: 1 Private Messages NinjaStorm
dankstick wrote:The roundel dates the plane to sometime between 1943 and 1947. However, the roundel is on the wrong wing. One roundel per wing, one above and one below. Maybe the painters at the factory got confused with this one? It looks like a B-17 but the fuselage is too long ahead of the wing and the horizontal stabilizers are much smaller. The bombs appear to be torpedoes without the rear propeller; they don't have the distinctive teardrop shape of US or RAF aerial bombs. It does resemble a "cluster bomb" in shape, but I can't match it in any of my books.

Regardless, this is an epic scene. I don't want anyone to get flack from a WWII vet!


lol, I tried over-analyzing it too. Then I remembered that the theme is art deco, not realism. It gets the point across that you're looking up at a ww2 era bomber dropping bombs on you, and that's what really matters, since most people these days don't know a B-17 from a B-2.

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
dankstick wrote:The roundel dates the plane to sometime between 1943 and 1947. However, the roundel is on the wrong wing. One roundel per wing, one above and one below. Maybe the painters at the factory got confused with this one? It looks like a B-17 but the fuselage is too long ahead of the wing and the horizontal stabilizers are much smaller. The bombs appear to be torpedoes without the rear propeller; they don't have the distinctive teardrop shape of US or RAF aerial bombs. It does resemble a "cluster bomb" in shape, but I can't match it in any of my books.

Regardless, this is an epic scene. I don't want anyone to get flack from a WWII vet!


Yes it's not historically accurate - artistic license was taken on this one.

However, your post did blow my mind. I never expected anyone to analyze it to this extent!

X P

dankstick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dankstick
krisrobinson wrote:Yes it's not historically accurate - artistic license was taken on this one.

However, your post did blow my mind. I never expected anyone to analyze it to this extent!

X P


I'm a WWII nut =] The roundel is especially important because it is good cause to shoot down an aircraft if markings are not seen where they should normally be. If this does print you probably could switch it.

agentandrew002


quality posts: 3 Private Messages agentandrew002
Re: Bomb Deco


LOVE IT!!! +1
Awesomeness

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Bomb Deco


GREAT design. Looks straight out of the 40's. In for two, one for me and one for my little dude.

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: Bomb Deco


love the design. perfectly done for a shirt layout, imo.

sadly for me, i think aa's ashpalt shirts are the worst one's available. any other color and this would have certainly gmv. as it stands, i wouldn't wear the shirt, and couldn't see buying it for just the design as art, so i must refrain in fairness.

the button does in fact say "i'd want one" and not "vote if you think the design should be printed", and unfortunately, because of my disdain for the asphalt shirt, i don't want one.

drats.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Irrelevant wrote:love the design. perfectly done for a shirt layout, imo.

sadly for me, i think aa's ashpalt shirts are the worst one's available. any other color and this would have certainly gmv. as it stands, i wouldn't wear the shirt, and couldn't see buying it for just the design as art, so i must refrain in fairness.

the button does in fact say "i'd want one" and not "vote if you think the design should be printed", and unfortunately, because of my disdain for the asphalt shirt, i don't want one.

drats.


I agree about the gray, it kind of drains these colors of some of their life. Navy might have added some extra pop. But I would definitely still sport it so it gets my vote. I like your voting principles though.

Jackofallgames


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jackofallgames
Irrelevant wrote: sadly for me, i think aa's ashpalt shirts are the worst one's available. any other color and this would have certainly gmv. as it stands, i wouldn't wear the shirt, and couldn't see buying it for just the design as art, so i must refrain in fairness.

the button does in fact say "i'd want one" and not "vote if you think the design should be printed", and unfortunately, because of my disdain for the asphalt shirt, i don't want one.

drats.


I'm just curious. I've seen a lot of people post their dislike of asphalt shirts whenever one is in a derby. Is it purely a color thing? I can understand if it is. After all, while I think a very dark gray looks good with the right design, I don't think you could ever get me to buy a yellow shirt, no matter how cool the design was.

I'm only asking because I want to know if there's a quality issue with AA's asphalt shirts or is it simply color preference.

Player of all. Master of none.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Jackofallgames wrote:I'm just curious. I've seen a lot of people post their dislike of asphalt shirts whenever one is in a derby. Is it purely a color thing? I can understand if it is. After all, while I think a very dark gray looks good with the right design, I don't think you could ever get me to buy a yellow shirt, no matter how cool the design was.

I'm only asking because I want to know if there's a quality issue with AA's asphalt shirts or is it simply color preference.


Colour preference, I believe. I haven't noticed any difference in quality between my asphalt shirts and the other colours.

Note that many people aren't for asphalt designs simply because they already have a bunch of asphalt shirts from woot - from the last batch of statistics I've seen, asphalt is the most commonly printed colour here at woot. Orange is the rarest, if anyone is keeping score.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
eHalcyon wrote:Colour preference, I believe. I haven't noticed any difference in quality between my asphalt shirts and the other colours.

Note that many people aren't for asphalt designs simply because they already have a bunch of asphalt shirts from woot - from the last batch of statistics I've seen, asphalt is the most commonly printed colour here at woot. Orange is the rarest, if anyone is keeping score.


Asphalt 1 - 0 Orange.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Jackofallgames wrote:I'm just curious. I've seen a lot of people post their dislike of asphalt shirts whenever one is in a derby. Is it purely a color thing? I can understand if it is. After all, while I think a very dark gray looks good with the right design, I don't think you could ever get me to buy a yellow shirt, no matter how cool the design was.

I'm only asking because I want to know if there's a quality issue with AA's asphalt shirts or is it simply color preference.


There's two reason I'm personally not a huge fan of asphalt anymore. A) I already have a ton of them. B) the gray isn't very rich. It has a kind of dried up feel to it. As far as designing goes if I can put a design on blue, brown, or black I'm much happier because they have some life to them that asphalt is lacking. Don't know if that makes any sense. Again, I don't hold it against most designs though. I'll still vote and buy for asphalt designs.

Jackofallgames


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jackofallgames
Re: Bomb Deco

Thanks for the insight
I guess I won't have any worries making this my probable first asphalt shirt.

Player of all. Master of none.

jezzarisky


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jezzarisky
Re: Bomb Deco


I LOVE this design, it just fits so much I have odd fascinations for, well alright most guys like WWII but something has always allured me about art deco, and this is really the quintessential art deco design of this derby, and is just so powerful, and gracefully done.

as for the other comments I do still vote for shirts I wouldn't wear simply because I feel it's still a greatly done shirt, sometimes it's just too big, or the wrong tshirt color.

and as far as woot shirts I have bought, I have two (well three if you count one I got the same one I already had through a random shirt day) Red, one white, and one green.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
--Mahatma Gandhi

Patchitect


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect
Re: Bomb Deco


We're back to bombs?

lexaverial


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lexaverial
kdeuce wrote:resub collab. with my boi k-rob.


This is pretty fantastic. If this places count me in for one. GMV.

Wugmeister


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wugmeister
Re: Bomb Deco


I hope this wins because the BF wants it xP

srm8ib4


quality posts: 5 Private Messages srm8ib4
Re: Bomb Deco



This is the best shirt in the derby

kareokediva3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kareokediva3
Re: Bomb Deco

I ADORE this design! Captures everything about Art Deco and is so wonderful, I just want to stare at it for days. GMV!

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
Re: Bomb Deco


I'd wear it.

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
Patchitect wrote:We're back to bombs?


what, you no like bombs?

dvho


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dvho
Re: Bomb Deco


i like it a lot. the more i see it, though, the more it seems it should be a kids shirt than a anybody-can-wear shirt.

SeraphSix


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeraphSix
dvho wrote:i like it a lot. the more i see it, though, the more it seems it should be a kids shirt than a anybody-can-wear shirt.


I don't see anything childish about bombs dropping from the sky D:

akumachan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
Re: Bomb Deco


This is one of the best designs in this derby. It is great looking and perfectly on topic IMO.

The shirt color doesn't bother me in the least.

but... I wouldn't wear this one. Too warlike for me.

But awesome nonethless.

nrarmen


quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen
krisrobinson wrote:Asphalt 1 - 0 Orange.


I'd give Orange a point for "The Cake Is a Liar." lol...

DirkDDarring


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
Re: Bomb Deco


Very cool, reminds me of the old WW2 recruitment posters. keep up the good work.

]

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

skipmuntz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages skipmuntz
Re: Bomb Deco


Great design, but I live in Japan, so there is NO way I'd ever wear this in public

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: Bomb Deco


I would like to ask Kdeuce what drives his obsession with bombs and grenades?

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
snarkygal wrote:I would like to ask Kdeuce what drives his obsession with bombs and grenades?


Those bombs are all me.


artshowhero


quality posts: 0 Private Messages artshowhero
Re: Bomb Deco


This is the best I think I've ever seen.

I know you're bored...Check out my stand up:
My Website
Stand Up Debut on Youtube

kdubbs29


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
Re: Bomb Deco


Love this one. Got my vote! This would make a great poster, too!

jenniferwagner


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenniferwagner
Re: Bomb Deco


Love this shirt. The first shirt in about 3 or 4 derbies that I would wear that has a shot at getting printed. GMV and I'm in for at least one.

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
artshowhero wrote:This is the best I think I've ever seen.


pretty much.

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Bomb Deco


This shirt reminds me of the song "Bomb Bomb Bomb" by Living Things

We're goin bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb away bomb
Bomb bomb bomb bomb
We're goin bomb bomb bomb bomb away bom
Bomb bomb bomb bomb

Cool shirt. GMV

iamdeba


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamdeba

This shirt is awesome. I'm pretty sure it might take first place, and I'm also pretty sure it will sell out. Let how late I will stay up tonight for this be a testament to its sheer awesomeness. Very nice design, congratulations.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail