Derby #92: Steampunk
+102

Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat
add a comment

Comments

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Combat Wombat


Steam is dirty. There's grease, and coal, and it is generally less than pristine. and sometimes, your steam chamber blows up, ruining your wombat dirigible. Labrambat was lucky to survive the crash, frankly, let alone the trip back across enemy lines.

braveBebe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages braveBebe
Re: Combat Wombat


Cool. i like the little story goes well with the pic. And your art style is very different from others. YEY!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
braveBebe wrote:Cool. i like the little story goes well with the pic. And your art style is very different from others. YEY!


After seeing a few 'steampunk' pictures, and designs, I started reading it- The Steampunk genre of fiction is the source of this stuff, after all. It is very different than this sort of 'clean' Victorian-inspired, perfect world that we usually see in these designs. Much grittier, much more real than we usuually see. Steampunk devices ought to operate if they are built, and that's what I was trying to express with my design. Of course, that's assuming that the world is populated by wombats!

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Awww. this is cute. Wombats are so funny...


jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Awww. this is cute. Wombats are so funny...


elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02

carouselonmars


quality posts: 0 Private Messages carouselonmars
Re: Combat Wombat


though i have purchased shirts here, i have never commented on anyone's art. but, i ran through the comments of a shirt that i bought (chloroflorohypnohype) and found a comment by you which invokes a response from me.

your quote to consumers interested in a questionable shirt: 'You woot people need to focus more on what is actually cool, and less on the snarky sort of hip cool you think you're showing off. This is a clear miss.'

...which makes me confused about your submitted entry 'combat wombat'.

i'm having trouble figuring how goggles and a gear (checklist items for a steampunk newbie) attach themselves to a wombat to make a design that is not the snarky sort of hip cool you think you're showing off.

at least Lucas Alcântara created a design that not only had a message (or two, depending on who was interpreting, as all art is a rorshach anyway), but created controversy, as well, which is the true mark of an artist.

where's your message? where's your controversy? a steampunk wombat?
really?

this, sir, is the clear miss.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
carouselonmars wrote:though i have purchased shirts here, i have never commented on anyone's art. but, i ran through the comments of a shirt that i bought (chloroflorohypnohype) and found a comment by you which invokes a response from me.

your quote to consumers interested in a questionable shirt: 'You woot people need to focus more on what is actually cool, and less on the snarky sort of hip cool you think you're showing off. This is a clear miss.'

...which makes me confused about your submitted entry 'combat wombat'.

i'm having trouble figuring how goggles and a gear (checklist items for a steampunk newbie) attach themselves to a wombat to make a design that is not the snarky sort of hip cool you think you're showing off.


at least Lucas Alcântara created a design that not only had a message (or two, depending on who was interpreting, as all art is a rorshach anyway), but created controversy, as well, which is the true mark of an artist.

where's your message? where's your controversy? a steampunk wombat?
really?

this, sir, is the clear miss.


Gosh, I guess you really don't care for criticism of your shirt, though there may be a chance that you just bought it and didn't create it. First of all, my major criticism of that shirt was that it promoted huffing. Maybe the artist didn't intend that and woot's writing staff decided to stir up some controversy by writing it up the way they did, I can't know. But, as I said in my original post, I've seen one little boy who was doing as hinted at by the shirt design to be hip and cool. I know that one doesn't ever really recover from that sort of brain damage, so I feel no remorse at criticizing the apparent point of the design. Woot picked that design, so my comment, which was directed at them. not at the designer, seems to me to be completely valid. They missed the mark, in choosing to sell a design like that one. It doesn't fit in with their quite strict "PG-13" self-description, and that seems a fair representation of the shirt.

As far as you finally finding a design of mine to rip on, well done! This design, whose point you may not have grasped, was meant to show that steam power is not the clean and pretty pseudo-Victorian world depicted in the movies like The Golden Compass and many so-called 'Steam-punk' designs. Steam is dirty, and blows up in your face pretty often, as it did to this wombat. I suppose I didn't really get that across as well as I wanted to, and that disappoints me. Still, there are plenty of far more controversial designs for you to enjoy without any need to build yourself up to a rage, so enjoy the rest of the derby!

carouselonmars


quality posts: 0 Private Messages carouselonmars
Josephus wrote:Gosh, I guess you really don't care for criticism of your shirt, though there may be a chance that you just bought it and didn't create it. First of all, my major criticism of that shirt was that it promoted huffing. Maybe the artist didn't intend that and woot's writing staff decided to stir up some controversy by writing it up the way they did, I can't know. But, as I said in my original post, I've seen one little boy who was doing as hinted at by the shirt design to be hip and cool. I know that one doesn't ever really recover from that sort of brain damage, so I feel no remorse at criticizing the apparent point of the design. Woot picked that design, so my comment, which was directed at them. not at the designer, seems to me to be completely valid. They missed the mark, in choosing to sell a design like that one. It doesn't fit in with their quite strict "PG-13" self-description, and that seems a fair representation of the shirt.

As far as you finally finding a design of mine to rip on, well done! This design, whose point you may not have grasped, was meant to show that steam power is not the clean and pretty pseudo-Victorian world depicted in the movies like The Golden Compass and many so-called 'Steam-punk' designs. Steam is dirty, and blows up in your face pretty often, as it did to this wombat. I suppose I didn't really get that across as well as I wanted to, and that disappoints me. Still, there are plenty of far more controversial designs for you to enjoy without any need to build yourself up to a rage, so enjoy the rest of the derby!



quite defensive for some open wondering and a few questions. my misreading of your comment compares not to the askew version you have adopted towards mine.
i simply read 'you woot people' as 'the consumer' which i stated in my comment, hence the entire foundation for my reaction. a response clearing that up was all that was needed and would have brought an apology.

however, you seem to think i felt personally attacked that you had a problem with a picture that i liked and have reduced a few paragraphs of someone calling you out to 'rage'. talking down to someone because they may have missed your wombat concept puts you in a world i do not comprehend, so maybe i did miss it. but, thinking on it, i'm sure i'm better off that way. i wasn't ripping on your design, i was calling you out on your high and mighty definition of 'cool'.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
carouselonmars wrote:quite defensive for some open wondering and a few questions. my misreading of your comment compares not to the askew version you have adopted towards mine.
i simply read 'you woot people' as 'the consumer' which i stated in my comment, hence the entire foundation for my reaction. a response clearing that up was all that was needed and would have brought an apology.

however, you seem to think i felt personally attacked that you had a problem with a picture that i liked and have reduced a few paragraphs of someone calling you out to 'rage'. talking down to someone because they may have missed your wombat concept puts you in a world i do not comprehend, so maybe i did miss it. but, thinking on it, i'm sure i'm better off that way. i wasn't ripping on your design, i was calling you out on your high and mighty definition of 'cool'.


I guess I didn't see that in the way you wrote your post. As I misunderstood you, I'm happy to apologize. I really was directing my original criticism to the woot staff who chose the shirt, and chose to present it in the way that they did. It's been 4 derbies now, since that shirt was printed, so I'll ask you to forgive me for feeling like the comment came out of left field. I do confess that I feel like I missed the mark myself on the design I intended and the way it came out this week. I wanted the wombat to look like he'd been in an explosion, hence the torn up gear around his neck, but I neglected to include the steam piston I wanted attached to it, and he somehow ended up less dirty and blackened than I intended. I suck.

wombatus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wombatus
Josephus wrote:Steam is dirty. There's grease, and coal, and it is generally less than pristine. and sometimes, your steam chamber blows up, ruining your wombat dirigible. Labrambat was lucky to survive the crash, frankly, let alone the trip back across enemy lines.


I am keeping my fingers crossed for this one since the wombat is my favorite animal!

gesangbaer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gesangbaer
elwayman02 wrote:o.O


I second that.

Blienky27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blienky27
Re: Combat Wombat



:D Reminds me of Digger!

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Thats one super wombat sir!

He reminds me of Emmet Otter.


Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Drakxxx wrote:Thats one super wombat sir!

He reminds me of Emmet Otter.


Thanks, Drakxxx. He does look similar! My fingers are crossed for you!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail