Derby #92: Steampunk
+743

SteamBiker

SteamBiker
add a comment

Comments

DeadFrog


quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog

I watched Mayazaki's "Castle in the Sky" this week(So Awesome). I tried to do something that looked like it would fit in the opening credits. I was really excited with the way this turned out.

Thanks,
Deadfrog

skirochester


quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: SteamBiker


impressive detail and love the one-color look. you're showing some nice range deadfrog. well done

Copo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Copo
Re: SteamBiker


Laputa.

databit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: SteamBiker


It did turn out quite well, nice job!

elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
Re: SteamBiker


I think this could use some steam coming out the back, to show that it's in motion.

CrescentDebris


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris
Re: SteamBiker


This shirt tells the world: "This is how I roll!"

DeadFrog


quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
skirochester wrote:impressive detail and love the one-color look. you're showing some nice range deadfrog. well done


Thanks a lot Ski, I really like your work.

omnitarian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
Re: SteamBiker


Awesome! I'm a sucker for old timey pennyfarthings...

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: SteamBiker


Very nice detailing DF!

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: SteamBiker


this is the best design you have submitted to woot.

by far.

very good, DF!

DeadFrog


quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
Jestik wrote:this is the best design you have submitted to woot.

by far.

very good, DF!


I agree, and I didn't even have to use kitschy pop-culture references!

I did have a "Steam-Punky Brewster" design in the works, it just didn't pan out.

sefjwm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm
DeadFrog wrote:I agree, and I didn't even have to use kitschy pop-culture references!

I did have a "Steam-Punky Brewster" design in the works, it just didn't pan out.



Unfortunately your opponent did and Ramyb did Kawaii trash again. Seeing as Woot has been banning all video game related stuff lately I hope they will be consistent. Good work there though and I hope it (dare I say it) gains enough steam to place.

Deeper, bluer, my head is like a shark fin.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
sefjwm wrote:Deeper, bluer, my head is like a shark fin.

whoa!

is that you, LL ?

DeadFrog


quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
sefjwm wrote:Unfortunately your opponent did and Ramyb did Kawaii trash again. Seeing as Woot has been banning all video game related stuff lately I hope they will be consistent. Good work there though and I hope it (dare I say it) gains enough steam to place.

Deeper, bluer, my head is like a shark fin.


Hahaha! You're Awesome man. Thanks for the support!

ViciousSandpiper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ViciousSandpiper
Re: SteamBiker


I'd love to wear this one! I hope it disappears into the Fog of War by next week.

CaptainHistory


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaptainHistory
omnitarian wrote:Awesome! I'm a sucker for old timey pennyfarthings...


I am too, but there isn't enough disparity between the wheels for it to be a penny-farthing, whether or not that was the intention.

DeadFrog


quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
CaptainHistory wrote:I am too, but there isn't enough disparity between the wheels for it to be a penny-farthing, whether or not that was the intention.


Thanks for that Captain History. What a fitting name I was aiming for a penny-farthing feel, but my intent wasn't to create a motorized version of the stereotypical penny-farthing.

CaptainHistory


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaptainHistory
DeadFrog wrote:Thanks for that Captain History. What a fitting name I was aiming for a penny-farthing feel, but my intent wasn't to create a motorized version of the stereotypical penny-farthing.


I'd like to note that I do like the design and you have my vote.

DiamondFace


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DiamondFace
CaptainHistory wrote:I'd like to note that I do like the design and you have my vote.


Nice to see something actually steampunk near the top. Hope this makes it into the fog.

sefjwm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm
DiamondFace wrote:Nice to see something actually steampunk near the top. Hope this makes it into the fog.


Too bad the stuff going to win aren't steampunk. Needs more votes people!

fatalGRACE


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fatalGRACE
sefjwm wrote:Too bad the stuff going to win aren't steampunk. Needs more votes people!

As far as I can see, this is the best one in the top ranked shirts that is actually steampunk.

supersonic213


quality posts: 0 Private Messages supersonic213
DeadFrog wrote:I watched Mayazaki's "Castle in the Sky" this week(So Awesome). I tried to do something that looked like it would fit in the opening credits. I was really excited with the way this turned out.

Thanks,
Deadfrog


"Castle in the Sky" is EASILY my favorite Miyazaki film. Your inspiration comes through nicely!

The guys at the new SONIC drive-in told me to have a supersonic day. And I did!

ste7enl


quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
Re: SteamBiker


One of the only submissions that really hits home as steampunk, for me. I really like it.

ViciousSandpiper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ViciousSandpiper
Re: SteamBiker


Almost in the fog!

chibiturtleboi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chibiturtleboi
Re: SteamBiker


This certainly demands some excitement! Freaking good, mate! Well detailed! xD

My body's stupid, stereo putrid
Spilling out music into raw sewage~

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Re: SteamBiker


why isn't this winning, this is so steampunk, better than the rest of the fog. The rest of the fog embrangles. This is quintessential steampunk, I read the wikipedia and looked it up on google. Why can't I get what I want for once? The penguin wing mechanism doesnt make sense. Pipes that emit smoke and goggles don't make something steampunk. That robot and the dog isn't steampunk and his legs are out of proportion with the rest of his body. That wolf looks like hez just wearing armor.

Maybe we should we all get together and bash the Gigli (2003) out of those entries so we can get what we want. Because that's what this derby is about, it's about us and getting what we want all the time. I'm going to tattle but that's probably not going to be enough. Because the woot staff sits there and reads all my comments. I'm going to feel a little more important about myself and make myself feel better about posting / agreeing with the other people about how much the entrants are off theme. COME ON GUYS.

fatalGRACE


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fatalGRACE
jamescho84 wrote:why isn't this winning, this is so steampunk, better than the rest of the fog. The rest of the fog embrangles. This is quintessential steampunk, I read the wikipedia and looked it up on google. Why can't I get what I want for once? The penguin wing mechanism doesnt make sense. Pipes that emit smoke and goggles don't make something steampunk. That robot and the dog isn't steampunk and his legs are out of proportion with the rest of his body. That wolf looks like hez just wearing armor.

Maybe we should we all get together and bash the Gigli (2003) out of those entries so we can get what we want. Because that's what this derby is about, it's about us and getting what we want all the time. I'm going to tattle but that's probably not going to be enough. Because the woot staff sits there and reads all my comments. I'm going to feel a little more important about myself and make myself feel better about posting / agreeing with the other people about how much the entrants are off theme. COME ON GUYS.


I agree completely. The shirt you linked is one of the only high up entries that actually fits the theme. I am sick of seeing 'scene heart' variant shirts with a couple gears added in in an attempt (failed) to make it fit the theme, or guppy like this red shirt, where the artist drew whatever he felt like then added two little smokestacks to avoid being rejected out of hand (though he still should have been).

Tattle away. I am.

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
fatalGRACE wrote:I agree completely. The shirt you linked is one of the only high up entries that actually fits the theme. I am sick of seeing 'scene heart' variant shirts with a couple gears added in in an attempt (failed) to make it fit the theme, or guppy like this red shirt, where the artist drew whatever he felt like then added two little smokestacks to avoid being rejected out of hand (though he still should have been).

Tattle away. I am.


haha >_<

DeadFrog


quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
jamescho84 wrote:why isn't this winning, this is so steampunk, better than the rest of the fog. The rest of the fog embrangles. This is quintessential steampunk, I read the wikipedia and looked it up on google. Why can't I get what I want for once? The penguin wing mechanism doesnt make sense. Pipes that emit smoke and goggles don't make something steampunk. That robot and the dog isn't steampunk and his legs are out of proportion with the rest of his body. That wolf looks like hez just wearing armor.

Maybe we should we all get together and bash the Gigli (2003) out of those entries so we can get what we want. Because that's what this derby is about, it's about us and getting what we want all the time. I'm going to tattle but that's probably not going to be enough. Because the woot staff sits there and reads all my comments. I'm going to feel a little more important about myself and make myself feel better about posting / agreeing with the other people about how much the entrants are off theme. COME ON GUYS.


The King of times gone by has graced us with his holy presence people. His light brings clarity. His sarcasm can pierce the sky.

But he's right. Steampunk is a pretty broad field. Check out http://www.girlgeniusonline.com, a webcomic generally acclaimed by the steampunk community. Mutant animals wearing armor and building flying machines would fit right in. A giant robot and a dog would have a home in steampunk as well. Flowery lines and gears actually do make things steampunk, or so it seems in the creations of Jake Von Slatt http://steampunkworkshop.com one of the major online steampunks. Steampunk is a field that welcomes anything close into it's fold, and while I certainly think my design is the best, its not because the designs that people like more are off topic.

lovethatfusion


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lovethatfusion
Hmm...How strange, I can currently see the number of votes on the fog. You're in first at the moment by 69 votes. Good for you!

re: steambiker

AmynessPrime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AmynessPrime
DeadFrog wrote:The King of times gone by has graced us with his holy presence people. His light brings clarity. His sarcasm can pierce the sky.

But he's right. Steampunk is a pretty broad field. Check out http://www.girlgeniusonline.com, a webcomic generally acclaimed by the steampunk community. Mutant animals wearing armor and building flying machines would fit right in. A giant robot and a dog would have a home in steampunk as well. Flowery lines and gears actually do make things steampunk, or so it seems in the creations of Jake Von Slatt http://steampunkworkshop.com one of the major online steampunks. Steampunk is a field that welcomes anything close into it's fold, and while I certainly think my design is the best, its not because the designs that people like more are off topic.


WHile that may be the case, you might want to keep in mind that the internet is rather nebulous, and you can find anyone on it calling anything whatever they want, and that doesn't make it so.

The core of the steampunk genre is very specific, and alot of thise other stuff might be inspired by it, but it certainly doesn't really represent what steampunk actually is the way yours does.

What it comes down to is that if this doesn't make the derby (which is definitely should), then you need to submit it somewhere else, so I can wear it.

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
DeadFrog wrote:The King of times gone by has graced us with his holy presence people. His light brings clarity. His sarcasm can pierce the sky.

But he's right. Steampunk is a pretty broad field. Check out http://www.girlgeniusonline.com, a webcomic generally acclaimed by the steampunk community. Mutant animals wearing armor and building flying machines would fit right in. A giant robot and a dog would have a home in steampunk as well. Flowery lines and gears actually do make things steampunk, or so it seems in the creations of Jake Von Slatt http://steampunkworkshop.com one of the major online steampunks. Steampunk is a field that welcomes anything close into it's fold, and while I certainly think my design is the best, its not because the designs that people like more are off topic.


Hah, sorry if I put you on the spot. I love your entry, slick illustration there. Love the old school bike and it's got my vote.

It's not so much about what steampunk is or isn't. Everytime I come on here, narcissistic slimebags are always on someones case. Must be fun to not contribute a god damn thing to this community or the contest and try to ruin peoples day. being able to voice your opinion on this site is a privilege. You certainly wouldn't say the kinds of Gigli (2003) you see here in front of the people you're bashing on. But the internet is what it is - playground for ball-less inbred walkie-talkies to feel a little bit better about their meaningless lives.

bryozoan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryozoan
jamescho84 wrote:Hah, sorry if I put you on the spot. I love your entry, slick illustration there. Love the old school bike and it's got my vote.

It's not so much about what steampunk is or isn't. Everytime I come on here, narcissistic slimebags are always on someones case. Must be fun to not contribute a god damn thing to this community or the contest and try to ruin peoples day. being able to voice your opinion on this site is a privilege. You certainly wouldn't say the kinds of Gigli (2003) you see here in front of the people you're bashing on. But the internet is what it is - playground for ball-less inbred walkie-talkies to feel a little bit better about their meaningless lives.


We missed you, Cho.

This site really does seem to attract a lot of trolls who haven't bought any items nor submitted any decent designs, but somehow feel vindicated to whine endlessly at anyone with actual talent.

I should make a list of the most "complained at" artists on this site, and a list of the artists who have earned the most prints/votes -- I would bet you it would be the same list.

justineka


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justineka
Re: SteamBiker


It's the details that I love, like the fact that his shirt is tucked in.

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: SteamBiker


What a fantastic illustration, great job!

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

Scandi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scandi

Yay steambike! I hope this one gets printed.

bellyup13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellyup13
Re: SteamBiker


This is my absolute favorite...but that may be cause im a bike rider. but what ever its killer! nice work!

thatrobert


quality posts: 28 Private Messages thatrobert

Mroczkowski


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mroczkowski
re: steambiker


Just wanted to let you know you GMV!

Since it is unlikely that you will get 300+ votes O/N, let us know if you decide to print this elsewhere by posting a link in you sig.

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

I wanted to comment sooner sir, but it's been one of those weeks.

From what I've been told I know a lot about steampunk... and this is by far the BEST depiction of it in the contest in my opinion.

The drawing is amazing, and the details are absolutely perfect.


DeadFrog


quality posts: 2 Private Messages DeadFrog
Drakxxx wrote:I wanted to comment sooner sir, but it's been one of those weeks.

From what I've been told I know a lot about steampunk... and this is by far the BEST depiction of it in the contest in my opinion.

The drawing is amazing, and the details are absolutely perfect.


Thanks Drak, I really admire your ability to create such epic compositions in such a short time.

gsweet504


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsweet504

I just joined, and I love this shirt. Anyway to get it? Anyone wanna sell one on ebay?

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail