Derby #98: Famous Quotations Illustrated
+500

Miles to go

Miles to go
add a comment

Comments

Mitohapa


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mitohapa

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-Famous excerpt from Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost


Hope you enjoy.

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Miles to go


Wow, nicely done....

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Miles to go


Mmm, rubaiyat.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: Miles to go

Love, love, love, love!!!


truffleshuffle


quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: Miles to go


This is definitely my favorite Robert Frost poem, and this is a really well done illustration for it! Nice work

[img100x100]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/TruffleShuffle/On_the_Shoulders_of_Giants-n02snq-d.jpg[/img]

truffleshuffle


quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
truffleshuffle wrote:This is definitely my favorite Robert Frost poem, and this is a really well done illustration for it! Nice work


I messed up, tehe *embarrassment*

Stormink


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
Re: Miles to go


Everybody out there better love Robert Frost. Not my favorite poem, but this shirt is an awesome representation of Stopping by Woods. I really love the birches and grass colour combo.

hbanzapan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hbanzapan
Re: Miles to go


This is beautiful.

elfgirl


quality posts: 1 Private Messages elfgirl

I am wondering, why is there grass? Isn't the poem talking about a SNOWY evening? Shouldn't there be snow on the ground?

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
elfgirl wrote:I am wondering, why is there grass? Isn't the poem talking about a SNOWY evening? Shouldn't there be snow on the ground?

Well, the derby is about redefining the quote. Because of that, it's actually better that she did change it.

Oh and I love how she used birch trees. Not only because they're lovely trees, but because it reminds me of another beautiful poem by Frost called Birches.


JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
theinfinityloop wrote:Well, the derby is about redefining the quote. Because of that, it's actually better that she did change it.

Oh and I love how she used birch trees. Not only because they're lovely trees, but because it reminds me of another beautiful poem by Frost called Birches.


I agree with Loopy as to leaving the grass in, versus making the ground snow covered. The lines quoted don't specifically discuss the snow, so she was open to the reinterpretation (regardless, she was open to the reinterpretation). The birch trees are indeed wonderful. I'll even comment on the roots, because I think they help fade out the design at the bottom. They also help me appreciate the asymmetrical look of the piece due to that very fact. Overall, stunning. Great job, Mito.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Miles to go


Looks amazing! Glad you didn't go with the red. GMV.

Twistedmonkey22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twistedmonkey22
Re: Miles to go


Although it is a really nice representation of the quote, and maybe one of my favorite poems by Frost, I'm afraid it doesn't work as a shirt for me. I feel like the picture just doesn't seem like it needs to be printed on a shirt. If it was a poster or a print it could be really cool for me.

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
Twistedmonkey22 wrote:Although it is a really nice representation of the quote, and maybe one of my favorite poems by Frost, I'm afraid it doesn't work as a shirt for me. I feel like the picture just doesn't seem like it needs to be printed on a shirt. If it was a poster or a print it could be really cool for me.


It has got a spooky feel about it though.

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

-yawn- wake me when we stop voting for generic designs i could find at walmart.

zzzZZZ (---) (---)


also, this isn't really a quote, it's like, three words.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
byrbwr wrote:-yawn- wake me when we stop voting for generic designs i could find at walmart.

zzzZZZ (---) (---)


also, this isn't really a quote, it's like, three words.


We're looking at the same shirt, right? This is more with the quote than say a grenade with smokestacks coming out of it.

lunartan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
Mitohapa wrote:The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

-Famous excerpt from Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost


Hope you enjoy.

yep, great poem about contemplating suicide

Stormink


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
lunartan wrote:yep, great poem about contemplating suicide


Actually, although that is one take on the meaning behind the poem, Frost himself publicly denounced any ties to suicide people claimed to have found in his poems.

byrbwr wrote:-yawn- wake me when we stop voting for generic designs i could find at walmart.

zzzZZZ (---) (---)


also, this isn't really a quote, it's like, three words.


As far as the rocket scientist posting that this is a quote of three words, I don't even really understand how someone can be that illiterate...

If you want generic designs, I can certainly link you to some:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=31969
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=31919
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=31992

But this is not one of them.

Jussslic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jussslic
Re: Miles to go


Ah! this is my favorite poem of all time, so GMV. however, I don't think the shirt is quite my style

lunartan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunartan
Stormink wrote:Actually, although that is one take on the meaning behind the poem, Frost himself publicly denounced any ties to suicide people claimed to have found in his poems.

Noted, but I subscribe to Barthes' and Foucault's theories on the death of the author and the resultant seperation from the text.

phaeckler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phaeckler
Re: Miles to go


It's too bad it's on a black shirt or it would get my vote. Black looks great in the graphics, but the shirts just get too hot in the sun to really wear them much.

The artwork is just lovely, tho.

Stormink


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
lunartan wrote:Noted, but I subscribe to Barthes' and Foucault's theories on the death of the author and the resultant seperation from the text.


Yes I would argue the text's separation form the author from its conception. I was just responding to what I perceived to be an attack, as I didn't want voters to be dissuaded.

justme476


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justme476
lunartan wrote:yep, great poem about contemplating suicide


silly, its a poem about Santa Claus...

Mitohapa


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mitohapa

Ah, I should've commented long ago. Goodness, I'm slow. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the votes and kind comments; 'tis much appreciated!

I'm aware that the poem or artwork just may not be everyone's style, which's fine. It's a poem that has lingered with me for a long time, but I guess it is a little dark. Evaluation of both literature and art is notoriously subjective! But I acknowledge that it's simply a mysterious landscape-- maybe not so clever. So again, endless gratitude to the support it has gotten nonetheless. It's been a good reception to come back to. Thanks guys!

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
phaeckler wrote:It's too bad it's on a black shirt or it would get my vote. Black looks great in the graphics, but the shirts just get too hot in the sun to really wear them much.

The artwork is just lovely, tho.


The sun goes down at night, ya know. You can always wear black shirts in the evenings during the summer. :-)

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Miles to go


Some say the derby will end in pandas
Some say in woods
Since woot likes tees they understand-a
I quite expect to see a panda

But if it ends the way it should
I think that it would be quite great
to see up for a printing Woods
which none should hate
because it's good.

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
AdderXYU wrote:Some say the derby will end in pandas
Some say in woods
Since woot likes tees they understand-a
I quite expect to see a panda

But if it ends the way it should
I think that it would be quite great
to see up for a printing Woods
which none should hate
because it's good.


That's beautiful, Adder. When it comes to good tee shirts, you really understand-a.

I wish this would print too, Mito.


ShirtFight


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShirtFight
Re: Miles to go


oooh wow, what a great design and really cleverly done within the theme!

choiceweb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages choiceweb
Re: Miles to go


I love the idea, but this doesn't look very snowy.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
choiceweb wrote:I love the idea, but this doesn't look very snowy.


I believe the quote in question is:

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep
and miles to go before I sleep"

"Stopping by woods on a snowy evening" isn't a quote. it's a poem. That the illustration is not in the context of the poem would make it all the more "re-interpreted", wouldn't you say?

ElevenEleven


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElevenEleven
Re: Miles to go


This design is done nicely and it relates to the poem well....however, nothing against the artist what so ever, but when did shirt.woot! become tree-shirt.woot?
It seems as though drawing a tree utilizing negative space guarantees top ranking. How many tree-shirts can one person own really? And I love how woot has rejeceted people in the past with the whole "I think the ____ subject has been covered enough in other shirts"
Just my devaluated 2 cents worth.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ElevenEleven wrote:This design is done nicely and it relates to the poem well....however, nothing against the artist what so ever, but when did shirt.woot! become tree-shirt.woot?
It seems as though drawing a tree utilizing negative space guarantees top ranking. How many tree-shirts can one person own really? And I love how woot has rejeceted people in the past with the whole "I think the ____ subject has been covered enough in other shirts"
Just my devaluated 2 cents worth.


I am wondering how you would illustrate the woods without trees?

I'd argue the trees here are really negligible and serve to create a framework. like all frames, the important stuff is within them. That the frame itself is attractive is but a perk

ElevenEleven


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElevenEleven
AdderXYU wrote:I am wondering how you would illustrate the woods without trees?

I'd argue the trees here are really negligible and serve to create a framework. like all frames, the important stuff is within them. That the frame itself is attractive is but a perk


Like I said, I wasn't meaning to pick on this design. It was just the first one with trees when I went to the derby. I am just saying that the trees as a framework idea has been done many many times both here and on other sites. I just think it is hypocritical to reject other genres of designs under the guise of "it's been done before" and still allow this. In my opinion, none of them should be rejected. If a design has been done sooo many times before, then who cares? Let the voting public decide if they want another shirt in the same style as others.
Let me re-emphasize, I think this designer did a great job in capturing the mood of the poem.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
ElevenEleven wrote:Like I said, I wasn't meaning to pick on this design. It was just the first one with trees when I went to the derby. I am just saying that the trees as a framework idea has been done many many times both here and on other sites. I just think it is hypocritical to reject other genres of designs under the guise of "it's been done before" and still allow this. In my opinion, none of them should be rejected. If a design has been done sooo many times before, then who cares? Let the voting public decide if they want another shirt in the same style as others.
Let me re-emphasize, I think this designer did a great job in capturing the mood of the poem.


The thing is, the trees aren't the concept in this design. Trees are just another element. Woot doesn't reject "genres of designs" or commonly used elements*; they reject previously done CONCEPTS. For example, if the "see no evil..." design had gone a step further and actually shown some great Panda Evil, it might not have been rejected. With just the three figures doing their archetypical gestures, the concept is well tread already.

* the exception here would be the flying penguin, which for a period of time was completely banned from the derbies. The ban has since been lifted.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Mitohapa


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mitohapa
ElevenEleven wrote:Like I said, I wasn't meaning to pick on this design. It was just the first one with trees when I went to the derby. I am just saying that the trees as a framework idea has been done many many times both here and on other sites. I just think it is hypocritical to reject other genres of designs under the guise of "it's been done before" and still allow this. In my opinion, none of them should be rejected. If a design has been done sooo many times before, then who cares? Let the voting public decide if they want another shirt in the same style as others.
Let me re-emphasize, I think this designer did a great job in capturing the mood of the poem.



Ahh, thanks for being really sensitive about my design with your observation. To be honest, I know what you're talking about, and I was actually quite surprised to see so many tree-frame designs show up in this derby (and others, for that matter). I suppose these things pop up while I'm not paying attention. It is a method used tirelessly even outside the shirt world; a friend of mine had several assignments completely centered on huge manual silhouette cutout designs. I guess it's just a nifty thing people always want to try for themselves? Or at least, that was my logic. Minus the 15+ exacto blades I'd actually have to go through for one of these. But I'll keep your thought in mind in future designs. I'm not known for my originality or cleverness, but I'm always trying to change that.

E, Adder, thanks you two. Your support is endlessly encouraging.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Mitohapa wrote:Ahh, thanks for being really sensitive about my design with your observation. To be honest, I know what you're talking about, and I was actually quite surprised to see so many tree-frame designs show up in this derby (and others, for that matter). I suppose these things pop up while I'm not paying attention. It is a method used tirelessly even outside the shirt world; a friend of mine had several assignments completely centered on huge manual silhouette cutout designs. I guess it's just a nifty thing people always want to try for themselves? Or at least, that was my logic. Minus the 15+ exacto blades I'd actually have to go through for one of these. But I'll keep your thought in mind in future designs. I'm not known for my originality or cleverness, but I'm always trying to change that.

E, Adder, thanks you two. Your support is endlessly encouraging.


The trees are just one element in a design that is about something else, featuring numerous other elements. This (nor mine) is a "tree shirt".

Aeoliana


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aeoliana
Re: Miles to go


This is one of my favorite frost poems, and it makes me happy that I knew exactly what this was supposed to be the moment I saw the thumb on the derby page.

Not my favorite style (the fully outlined window into the shirt sort of thing) but it definitely gets my vote! I hope this beats the pander shirt! Nice work.

Aeoliana


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aeoliana

Meh, unfortunately I just saw this in the fog before I saw the pandas got rejected. I just hope this does well!

ElevenEleven


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElevenEleven
Mitohapa wrote:Ahh, thanks for being really sensitive about my design with your observation. To be honest, I know what you're talking about, and I was actually quite surprised to see so many tree-frame designs show up in this derby (and others, for that matter). I suppose these things pop up while I'm not paying attention. It is a method used tirelessly even outside the shirt world; a friend of mine had several assignments completely centered on huge manual silhouette cutout designs. I guess it's just a nifty thing people always want to try for themselves? Or at least, that was my logic. Minus the 15+ exacto blades I'd actually have to go through for one of these. But I'll keep your thought in mind in future designs. I'm not known for my originality or cleverness, but I'm always trying to change that.

E, Adder, thanks you two. Your support is endlessly encouraging.


You are not giving yourself enough credit. I think that the shirt is done well. By all means, don't take what I said to be gospel. I was more or less commenting on the use of the tree framework in general. I think all those using this style are done well artisitcally. And obviously, people like them, cause they are in, or near the fog. I guess what I was going for was more of a commentary on woot rejection policies. But then again, I really don't know why I am bothering cause not like anything is gonna change. I just need to keep reminding myself what site I am on, and play the game accordingly. Continue doing what you are doing for it seems like it works.

starboardzor


quality posts: 0 Private Messages starboardzor
Re: Miles to go


I sure can't wait to buy this shirt.

tenieldjo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tenieldjo
AdderXYU wrote:Some say the derby will end in pandas
Some say in woods
Since woot likes tees they understand-a
I quite expect to see a panda

But if it ends the way it should
I think that it would be quite great
to see up for a printing Woods
which none should hate
because it's good.


This made me smile. I love Fire and Ice (my favorite), and Stopping By the Woods is my 2nd favorite Frost poem. This is a beautiful rendition of that quote, and though I am probably biased as I am a bit of a Frost fan, you've taken wonderful words and transformed them into a wonderful image.

thatrobert


quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

smedgrick


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smedgrick
thatrobert wrote:


Say it isn't so! There's still time, there's still time.

Also- I just noticed your hand does not have 5 fingers.

thatrobert


quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert
smedgrick wrote:Say it isn't so! There's still time, there's still time.

Also- I just noticed your hand does not have 5 fingers.


Ah, very good eye. When I use the 4-finger hand, the design comes in 4th; when I use the 5-finger hand, the design comes in 5th. So, everything will be alright....

Mitohapa


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mitohapa
thatrobert wrote:


Thanks so much!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail