Derby #101: Fake Band T-Shirts
+21

the balalaika players

the balalaika players
add a comment

Comments

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Re: the balalaika players


Men Sick of Russia (Mushchini = men, Kinshchini = finished, iz = with, Russii = Russia: Men Who Are Finished With Russia)? I am Ukie, not Russe, so probably my translation is off, but... what?!

sylph01


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sylph01
Re: the balalaika players


There are bazillions and bazillions of bands and orchestras named "Balalaika."

Manvyi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Manvyi
Re: the balalaika players


It says (in Russian) "Menand Women from Russia" - should be "Men and Women from Russia", but there's a space missing.

xxchange


quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
Re: the balalaika players


I would like it if it wasn't so boxy.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Manvyi wrote:It says (in Russian) "Menand Women from Russia" - should be "Men and Women from Russia", but there's a space missing.


Huh. I now see the "je" where before I saw it as a "k". And I did think there were too many vowels on the end of "mushchini," but figured Russians used more vowels than Ukes... meh. It's kind of pointless. Some sort of wordplay or cleverness would have been appreciated and voted.

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
sylph01 wrote:There are bazillions and bazillions of bands and orchestras named "Balalaika."


That's the name of the instrument, it doesn't actually say it on the shirt.

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Manvyi wrote:It says (in Russian) "Menand Women from Russia" - should be "Men and Women from Russia", but there's a space missing.


heh, yep. you got it. I didn't realize I had left out the space until I got home last night :/

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
goldenthorn wrote:Huh. I now see the "je" where before I saw it as a "k". And I did think there were too many vowels on the end of "mushchini," but figured Russians used more vowels than Ukes... meh. It's kind of pointless. Some sort of wordplay or cleverness would have been appreciated and voted.


Lol. Yeah, there isn't a lot of cleverness going on. I just like the simplicity of russian. I was going to add more, but I don't think it's gonna happen this week :/

Most people don't like russian anything or russians for that matter on this site, so it's not like I expected any good comments.

Are you saying my design is pointless or just the argument you're making?

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
xxchange wrote:I would like it if it wasn't so boxy.


the boxiness is classic russian

Manvyi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Manvyi
xxchange wrote:I would like it if it wasn't so boxy.


In Russia, boxiness likes you!

Actually, it's a shame there haven't been more fake bands from supposed non-Anglophone musical traditions in this derby.

Anyway, it's a "da" for the cyrillic on this one, even though it's a "nichego" for the design and a "nyet" for the typo.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

KUClerks wrote:Lol. Yeah, there isn't a lot of cleverness going on. I just like the simplicity of russian. I was going to add more, but I don't think it's gonna happen this week :/

Most people don't like russian anything or russians for that matter on this site, so it's not like I expected any good comments.

Are you saying my design is pointless or just the argument you're making?


Meow, kitten! I was not personally insulting you, so please to be sheathing your claws.

I was saying that the words were pointless. My point was that if you're going to do a Russian band design and incorporate cyrillic text, it would be worth making the text something clever rather than banal. "Men and Women from Russia" is boring and pointless. If you know Russian, then using that knowledge to create a funny or clever Russian band name would have been fantastic. Especially for the balalaika, domain of the sodden poet's steppe-dreaming Cossack soul.

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
goldenthorn wrote:Meow, kitten! I was not personally insulting you, so please to be sheathing your claws.

I was saying that the words were pointless. My point was that if you're going to do a Russian band design and incorporate cyrillic text, it would be worth making the text something clever rather than banal. "Men and Women from Russia" is boring and pointless. If you know Russian, then using that knowledge to create a funny or clever Russian band name would have been fantastic. Especially for the balalaika, domain of the sodden poet's steppe-dreaming Cossack soul.


Lol. Okay. I was fearful if I made any jokes that it would be rejected for being politically incorrect or something.

When I saw the theme this week (a sweet theme for once) I was upset with myself for not having started sooner. Heh, yeah, I wanted to sketch like four heads on paper then put them at the bottom and add more like band related stuff but I didn't do it in time. Maybe next time! I like russian themed everything but I don't exactly have a sense of humor either. I guess that's the joke! hoho.

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Manvyi wrote:In Russia, boxiness likes you!

Actually, it's a shame there haven't been more fake bands from supposed non-Anglophone musical traditions in this derby.

Anyway, it's a "da" for the cyrillic on this one, even though it's a "nichego" for the design and a "nyet" for the typo.


hoho. that's fair. spasiba y dovitzenia!

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
Re: the balalaika players


heh, this is what I was kinda going for:



I would have loved to add a sketch in as well.

Maybe next time!

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

KUClerks wrote:heh, this is what I was kinda going for:

snip

I would have loved to add a sketch in as well.

Maybe next time!


See, something like that would have rocked. I'd love to see you adapt a style like that for another derby.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail