Derby #106: Double-Take Derby 6
+652

Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction

Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction
add a comment

Comments

spilzer


quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


The birds' expressions alone make this a wonderful shirt.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


you know, he reminds me of this kid that comes down to the bar we have that has karaoke twice a week... he'll rock out near the stage like a crazed fan to any song. It could be slow, rock, or 'Happy Birthday', and that guy will dance like no tomorrow to 'impress the ladies'.

I can't help but laugh when I see this... that's what I think of every time.

jublin


quality posts: 3 Private Messages jublin
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


LOVE those dance moves! great artwork, take it home!

imsochady


quality posts: 24 Private Messages imsochady
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


Maybe I can learn a thing or two about dancing from these boobies.

Edit: You know what sir, one day I'll come to your house and break all the tips of your pencils and steal all your sharpeners so as to prevent you from creating awesome designs that knock out my favorites from the fog. Until then, have a nice day . Mwahahahaah...

bennydougs


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bennydougs

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


I don't get it. Honestly it doesn't look that wearable to me. The art is nice, but I just don't see this as a print.

bellarific


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


So I own all the concept art books for each Disney/Pixar movie, and this style reminds me of how the entirety of "Finding Nemo" was initially sketched out, ESPECIALLY the creative process for the Dory speaking whale scene. It just.....never fails to make me think of that book.

That's gotta mean something good, right?

bellarific


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
KIDA26 wrote:I don't get it. Honestly it doesn't look that wearable to me. The art is nice, but I just don't see this as a print.


Why, it's the mating dance of the Blue-footed bubi! His dancing looks awkward and ridiculous because "bubi" means "stupid fellow" in Spanish! Hooray!

kaligoose


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaligoose
bellarific wrote:Why, it's the mating dance of the Blue-footed bubi! His dancing looks awkward and ridiculous because "bubi" means "stupid fellow" in Spanish! Hooray!


... And sounds like 'boobie' when spoken aloud in english.

pewpewpew.

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
bellarific wrote:Why, it's the mating dance of the Blue-footed bubi! His dancing looks awkward and ridiculous because "bubi" means "stupid fellow" in Spanish! Hooray!


I did not know that. I would much rather have the Red Giant/White Dwarf shirt than this one. I guess I just don't really "get it" with the bird dance. Oh well, it's early in the Derby yet.

imsochady


quality posts: 24 Private Messages imsochady
bellarific wrote:Why, it's the mating dance of the Blue-footed bubi! His dancing looks awkward and ridiculous because "bubi" means "stupid fellow" in Spanish! Hooray!


And also, dancing is a traditional way in unlocking a woman's heart. Too bad I never had a set of the dancing keys. I guess I lucked out, or should I say locked out? Mwahahahahaha *sigh*

sailormoontsu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


This shirt is so cute!

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Had my vote last time, GMV again. I was really bummed when this one didn't win.

mlovesr


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mlovesr
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


Really sweet and cute. I hope he dances his way into the top three.

Dance, blue booby, dance!

noisdois


quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


We learned about these guys in my bio class the same week it was up the first time. Very cool idea.

rdonley11


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdonley11
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


I'm a sucker for natural history shirts, especially ones featuring the Jagger strut!

MommaPhoenix


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MommaPhoenix

Our Movie Genre... I want! ! !!! This may be the design for the bag, but Our Movie Genre I neeeeed this as a shirt.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
MommaPhoenix wrote:Our Movie Genre... I want! ! !!! This may be the design for the bag, but Our Movie Genre I neeeeed this as a shirt.


This derby is still for shirts. Honorable mentions from previous derbies to be specific.

Next week is for the bags.

dmkooo


quality posts: 10 Private Messages dmkooo
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


I wish the artists would include the number and name of the original derby to which their work was submitted. In parentheses after the title would be perfect!

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
dmkooo wrote:I wish the artists would include the number and name of the original derby to which their work was submitted. In parentheses after the title would be perfect!


It was derby #96 Dance.

Wistera


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wistera

I needed this last time, and I still need it.

If this doesn't print this time, PLEASE move it to a different site... zoology students like myself would rejoice everywhere.

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
imsochady wrote:And also, dancing is a traditional way in unlocking a woman's heart. Too bad I never had a set of the dancing keys. I guess I lucked out, or should I say locked out? Mwahahahahaha *sigh*

You can still get dancing keys - take some lessons or join a group... good way to meet ladies, or at least get some skills;) In college the ballroom club meetings were 25 females to 1 males...the guys became studs! And that's how one guy wooed one of my friends... and they're still together: )

Cute design tgentry... I probably said that about this design the first time round as well!

Vote!



Draike


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draike
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


I was so mad when this was 4th last time. IT MUST PRINT. I MUST HAVE IT. Rarely is there a shirt I really want to wear from here, but this is definitely one of them.

Jmangino88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jmangino88

This shirt leaps into the vacuum dont vote for it.

I am a boy not a robot.

dmkooo


quality posts: 10 Private Messages dmkooo

jga122


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jga122
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


I loved this shirt when it came out during the Dance Derby and still Do! I, too, was bitter when it came in fourth.

gmv

grahamcrackercoyote


quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


I'm a science teacher and this one MUST print this time around! I'm in for 3 if it does. Another classic tgentry entry.

Lamuril


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lamuril

imsochady


quality posts: 24 Private Messages imsochady
jasneko wrote:You can still get dancing keys - take some lessons or join a group... good way to meet ladies, or at least get some skills;) In college the ballroom club meetings were 25 females to 1 males...the guys became studs! And that's how one guy wooed one of my friends... and they're still together: )


Hah! I've been actually trying to convince my friends to take that ballroom dance class with me at the community college. That and their cooking classes. I guess I'll have to be more persuasive. It's always good to know a couple dance steps or two. You never know when somebody challenges you to a dance off, so you can defend yourself with the seductive and fiery salsa!

UberGek


quality posts: 0 Private Messages UberGek

I recently finished reading Galapogos by Kurt Vonnegut so I must have this shirt. And I plan to SCUBA there someday so I will wear the shirt while visiting the boobies!!!

I can't quite tell... is it on black or navy?

~ ÜberGēk

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
UberGek wrote:I recently finished reading Galapogos by Kurt Vonnegut so I must have this shirt. And I plan to SCUBA there someday so I will wear the shirt while visiting the boobies!!!

I can't quite tell... is it on black or navy?


Looks like it's navy.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

UberGek wrote:I recently finished reading Galapogos by Kurt Vonnegut so I must have this shirt. And I plan to SCUBA there someday so I will wear the shirt while visiting the boobies!!!

I can't quite tell... is it on black or navy?


That was my favorite Vonnegut book and where I first learned of the boobies. His description of their dance had me rolling!

And yeah, it's on Navy.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Get back into the fog dammit! I'll be so pissed if this one doesn't win again. If it doesn't you MUST get it printed someplace else. Both me and my gf are a guaranteed sale.

Bunnywafer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bunnywafer
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


I love this shirt, I really hope it wins. I have an obsession with blue-footed boobies.

I'm relatively new to shirt.woot.....is "in the fog" a good thing? (as far as closer to winning)

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
Bunnywafer wrote:I love this shirt, I really hope it wins. I have an obsession with blue-footed boobies.

I'm relatively new to shirt.woot.....is "in the fog" a good thing? (as far as closer to winning)


Yes. Only the top three designs print (unless there's a tie), so the vote totals of the top four are hidden to keep the outcome unknown.

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


I still don't get this shirt. I couldn't imagine wearing this.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
KIDA26 wrote:I still don't get this shirt. I couldn't imagine wearing this.


Blue-footed Boobies go through an elaborate courtship ritual.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
eHalcyon wrote:Blue-footed Boobies go through an elaborate courtship ritual.


And that makes this shirt wearable? I don't even know what a blue footed boobie is... I am just dumbfounded by the popularity of this. To each his/her own though I suppose. It looks as though this is a lock to get printed. It's been in the fog since day 1.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
KIDA26 wrote:And that makes this shirt wearable? I don't even know what a blue footed boobie is... I am just dumbfounded by the popularity of this. To each his/her own though I suppose. It looks as though this is a lock to get printed. It's been in the fog since day 1.


Knowledge is easy to come by.

I haven't voted for it and I don't plan on buying it, but I can easily see why it's popular. The art is well done, the idea is both cute and comedic, the design has an interesting layout, and a nice colour palette has been chosen to complement a popular shirt colour. I suppose it's less appealing if you don't know much about the birds (and can't be bothered to spend a few minutes on Google or Wikipedia), but votes suggest that quite a few people understand.

You're wrong about the last point. It hasn't been in the fog since day 1. It may have been jumping in and out over the last few days though. Currently it is probably in fourth place; it's only been in the fog for the last 4 hours. "What's Under the Bed" has been fogged for about a day and the other two have been fogged since Friday. Looks like this one is at the bottom of the fog.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

fullmeltbubble


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fullmeltbubble

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
eHalcyon wrote:Knowledge is easy to come by.

I haven't voted for it and I don't plan on buying it, but I can easily see why it's popular. The art is well done, the idea is both cute and comedic, the design has an interesting layout, and a nice colour palette has been chosen to complement a popular shirt colour. I suppose it's less appealing if you don't know much about the birds (and can't be bothered to spend a few minutes on Google or Wikipedia), but votes suggest that quite a few people understand.

You're wrong about the last point. It hasn't been in the fog since day 1. It may have been jumping in and out over the last few days though. Currently it is probably in fourth place; it's only been in the fog for the last 4 hours. "What's Under the Bed" has been fogged for about a day and the other two have been fogged since Friday. Looks like this one is at the bottom of the fog.


Edit: Just noticed the name of the shirt (/facepalm).. so my first point was invalid (omitted)... but the rest of my statement stands.

Are there really that many people out there that will see this shirt and instantly "get it"? I doubt it. I also seriously doubt everyone that has voted for this shirt knew that it is supposed to be a homage to the bird's mating ritual. I was never rude about the shirt. All I said was that I don't get it, and I don't think it's that wearable. But then again, I didn't think the Cats with Weapons shirt from the Mystery Derby was that wearable either, and then I saw a girl wearing it two nights ago and it looked pretty good. It doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't wear it. Different strokes for different folks. Honestly, there are only two shirts in this Derby that I would wear. Does that mean the other shirts suck? No. It just means I don't find them funny, or it's not a style that I would wear, or that I don't get it. I was never rude like you are being with your insinuation that I am lazy or uneducated because I didn't automatically feel the need to go google search "Blue Footed Boobie Mating Rituals". The fact of the matter is, that this shirt has been in the fog every time I have checked the top vote getters. That is where that last item came from. Now get the eff off my back.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
KIDA26 wrote:Edit: Just noticed the name of the shirt (/facepalm).. so my first point was invalid (omitted)... but the rest of my statement stands.

Are there really that many people out there that will see this shirt and instantly "get it"? I doubt it. I also seriously doubt everyone that has voted for this shirt knew that it is supposed to be a homage to the bird's mating ritual. I was never rude about the shirt. All I said was that I don't get it, and I don't think it's that wearable. But then again, I didn't think the Cats with Weapons shirt from the Mystery Derby was that wearable either, and then I saw a girl wearing it two nights ago and it looked pretty good. It doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't wear it. Different strokes for different folks. Honestly, there are only two shirts in this Derby that I would wear. Does that mean the other shirts suck? No. It just means I don't find them funny, or it's not a style that I would wear, or that I don't get it. I was never rude like you are being with your insinuation that I am lazy or uneducated because I didn't automatically feel the need to go google search "Blue Footed Boobie Mating Rituals". The fact of the matter is, that this shirt has been in the fog every time I have checked the top vote getters. That is where that last item came from. Now get the eff off my back.


Wow, sorry Kida. I wasn't trying to be rude. I should have reread that parenthetical remark and phrased myself better. And I guess it couldn't have been helped if you didn't notice the shirt title earlier. I don't think the rest of my post had any rudeness to it, but that's just me. The latter part about fog stats was just for your information, nothing more. If you're curious, you can check out Shirt Derby Stats for more information. You can navigate to "Current Derby" and then "Top Ten" to see vote estimates and fog times.

Again, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
eHalcyon wrote:Wow, sorry Kida. I wasn't trying to be rude. I should have reread that parenthetical remark and phrased myself better. And I guess it couldn't have been helped if you didn't notice the shirt title earlier. I don't think the rest of my post had any rudeness to it, but that's just me. The latter part about fog stats was just for your information, nothing more. If you're curious, you can check out Shirt Derby Stats for more information. You can navigate to "Current Derby" and then "Top Ten" to see vote estimates and fog times.

Again, my apologies for the misunderstanding.


Sorry, it's been one of those days. I didn't mean to jump all over you like that. It's just hard to decipher tone over the interwebs :P.

grahamcrackercoyote


quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
KIDA26 wrote:Edit: Just noticed the name of the shirt (/facepalm).. so my first point was invalid (omitted)... but the rest of my statement stands.

Are there really that many people out there that will see this shirt and instantly "get it"? I doubt it. I also seriously doubt everyone that has voted for this shirt knew that it is supposed to be a homage to the bird's mating ritual. I was never rude about the shirt. All I said was that I don't get it, and I don't think it's that wearable. But then again, I didn't think the Cats with Weapons shirt from the Mystery Derby was that wearable either, and then I saw a girl wearing it two nights ago and it looked pretty good. It doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't wear it. Different strokes for different folks. Honestly, there are only two shirts in this Derby that I would wear. Does that mean the other shirts suck? No. It just means I don't find them funny, or it's not a style that I would wear, or that I don't get it. I was never rude like you are being with your insinuation that I am lazy or uneducated because I didn't automatically feel the need to go google search "Blue Footed Boobie Mating Rituals". The fact of the matter is, that this shirt has been in the fog every time I have checked the top vote getters. That is where that last item came from. Now get the eff off my back.


Not to get on your back, KID, but I thought I'd pass on one of the many reasons why someone [not YOU - I know you wouldn't wear it] would wear this. I teach 9th grade science to the LEAST curious 9th graders at our high school. The shirts are a way of getting them to ask a question - ANY question - when I wear them. They'll get the general theme [a LOVE dance - 9th graders think they know a lot about love] even if they don't get the BFB part. It'll also give me an excuse to use the word BOOBIE in class. No Child Left Standing and Standards do not preclude using double entendres to get a kids attention

sugareeali


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sugareeali
KIDA26 wrote:Edit: Just noticed the name of the shirt (/facepalm).. so my first point was invalid (omitted)... but the rest of my statement stands.

Are there really that many people out there that will see this shirt and instantly "get it"? I doubt it. I also seriously doubt everyone that has voted for this shirt knew that it is supposed to be a homage to the bird's mating ritual. I was never rude about the shirt. All I said was that I don't get it, and I don't think it's that wearable. But then again, I didn't think the Cats with Weapons shirt from the Mystery Derby was that wearable either, and then I saw a girl wearing it two nights ago and it looked pretty good. It doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't wear it. Different strokes for different folks. Honestly, there are only two shirts in this Derby that I would wear. Does that mean the other shirts suck? No. It just means I don't find them funny, or it's not a style that I would wear, or that I don't get it. I was never rude like you are being with your insinuation that I am lazy or uneducated because I didn't automatically feel the need to go google search "Blue Footed Boobie Mating Rituals". The fact of the matter is, that this shirt has been in the fog every time I have checked the top vote getters. That is where that last item came from. Now get the eff off my back.


I think you took that wayyyyyy too personally. It wasn't aimed at you.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
sugareeali wrote:I think you took that wayyyyyy too personally. It wasn't aimed at you.


No worries! We've resolved our misunderstandings.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

spartankid125


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spartankid125
KIDA26 wrote:I still don't get this shirt. I couldn't imagine wearing this.


i guess you just have to have a scientist's mind.. cause it totally makes sense. (and i will be really upset if this does not print.. that will be twice now that it should have printed...

m4r333


quality posts: 0 Private Messages m4r333
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction



This reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes

m4r333


quality posts: 0 Private Messages m4r333
bellarific wrote:Why, it's the mating dance of the Blue-footed bubi! His dancing looks awkward and ridiculous because "bubi" means "stupid fellow" in Spanish! Hooray!


i did not know that ment "stupid fellow" in spanish

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
grahamcrackercoyote wrote: It'll also give me an excuse to use the word BOOBIE in class.



This is the best reasoning I have heard so far. :D

kimmux


quality posts: 4 Private Messages kimmux
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


Ah! Nanonauts was my first Woot and I can't get enough of tgentry's science shirts. I agree about piquing kids' interest in science: a cool shirt is a great conversation starter.

I thought I remembered seeing a move-by-move recap of this shirt when it was originally submitted. If so, can we see that again TG?

sugareeali


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sugareeali
eHalcyon wrote:No worries! We've resolved our misunderstandings.


I take it back! That post of mine wasn't meant to sound so rude. And i should my mind my own biznes : ) Sorry folks.
As for the shirt...I like the originality. And I like the way your eyes kind of have to follow the whole thing to catch the story. And as stated previously..anytime a shirt can teach you something it's nice. (I looked up the bubi bird on wiki).

gbatty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gbatty
re: blue-footed booby dance of seduction


Please, please, please I beg of you. I want this shirt. I need this shirt. Can you get some other source to print it and I will buy multiple copies.

SonnyBono


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SonnyBono
gbatty wrote:Please, please, please I beg of you. I want this shirt. I need this shirt. Can you get some other source to print it and I will buy multiple copies.


I want this shirt as well.

genuinesmile29


quality posts: 0 Private Messages genuinesmile29
Re: Blue-Footed Booby Dance of Seduction


As a swing dancer I'd wear this shirt ALL THE TIME. I was very sad that it didn't win...again. Can we go rogue and print this without woot?

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

This came in 4th place both derby's it as in, that has to say something. Especially when it just missed winning in this derby in the best of the best derby! Come on EC!

*rolls the dice

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

still hoping this one get's printed!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail