Derby #111: Blues

Color to your world

So this contains the color blue, but that's the only reference I see.

Rejected because: So this contains the color blue, but that's the only reference I see.

add a comment

Comments

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
Re: Color to your world


I wanted to show a contrast between the bird (which is from out of the world) and the egg and its surroundings (which are of the world). Hope you like

edit: If you have something you want to say about the design, and you want to make sure I read it/respond, then send me a PM.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Color to your world


just to clarify, is this a Phoenix? It sort of looks like one, but they reportedly come from ashes, not eggs.

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
Re: Color to your world


I read your comment about wanting to distinguish between the egg and the bird, but I feel just looking at the design as a passerby would on the street, I would think that since there is so much dramatic highlighting on the bird, the egg looks rather bland. I would've liked to have seen some more attention paid to the egg as well, just so from a quick glance one would see continuity between the entire design.

I guess you and ramyb are really utilizing the glow effect lately! :p People do seem to like how it pops off dark shirts.

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku

@ Jestik - It's not specifically supposed to be a phoenix, no.

@ binkdrop - Well, when I was planning the picture I considered making it all similarly colored/shaded (with the egg blue as well) so it would be essentially just a pretty picture. I eventually decided that I liked the idea of introducing color to a bland and flat world more, hence the design. I could have made the egg shaded more like the bird, but I partially like the contrast and partially it would be difficult to do with only six colors (since the egg would require several shades of grey and the bird would need several shades of blue). Given that, I chose to emphasize the difference between the two. Hope that makes some sense. I think that they look different enough that a passerby on the street would at least think that it wasn't a mistake.

ElliottLev


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ElliottLev
sekiyoku wrote:@ Jestik - It's not specifically supposed to be a phoenix, no.

@ binkdrop - Well, when I was planning the picture I considered making it all similarly colored/shaded (with the egg blue as well) so it would be essentially just a pretty picture. I eventually decided that I liked the idea of introducing color to a bland and flat world more, hence the design. I could have made the egg shaded more like the bird, but I partially like the contrast and partially it would be difficult to do with only six colors (since the egg would require several shades of grey and the bird would need several shades of blue). Given that, I chose to emphasize the difference between the two. Hope that makes some sense. I think that they look different enough that a passerby on the street would at least think that it wasn't a mistake.


Great design I like the contrast between the egg and the bird!

wootasourous


quality posts: 119 Private Messages wootasourous
Re: Color to your world


I like how the bird, whatever it may be, looks very flowy and in your faceish, and then how the egg helps bring that out too by having a focal point.

iimiszvickie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages iimiszvickie
Re: Color to your world


sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pretty

onixblack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages onixblack
Re: Color to your world


THIS IS AMAZING

truffleshuffle


quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: Color to your world


I think it'd be cool if there was some evidence that the bird's glow was sort of lighting up the egg. Maybe then they wouldn't seem so separate. That's just a thought though.

gijose


quality posts: 5 Private Messages gijose
re: color to your world


truly another stunning piece of work

NYC!

hookemhorns212


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hookemhorns212
Re: Color to your world


SSDD (same shirt different derby) or (same s. different day) either one applies.......

xxchange


quality posts: 44 Private Messages xxchange
Re: Color to your world


A little too Pokemon for me, but pretty.

My Colours: 6 Black, 9 Asphalt, 7 Cranberry, 4 Royal Blue, 10 Navy, 7 Silver, 7 Grass, 2 Orange, 2 Kelly Green, 8 Brown, 1 White, 2 Lemon, 7 Baby Blue, 3 Cream, 2 Heather Gray, 5 Olive, 1 Pink, 1 Eggplant

Last 12 of 85: Little Dreams, Black and White, Fall, I'm not prickley on the inside..., Released, Nature Owl, Mirror Mirror, The Last Day, Playful Foxes Remix, My Special Day, My Special Day Tote, Circuit-ulatory System Remix

jerroul


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerroul
Re: Color to your world


I like that the empty shards of shell are such a drab shade of gray. To me it underscores how the vitality is now all in the new-born bird. Thank you for such an inspiring design.

Robinthefirst


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Robinthefirst

You should move the thumbnail. I had no idea what it was supposed to b. It looked like a tornado, or something.

Robinthefirst


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Robinthefirst

*be

dijin


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijin
AdderXYU wrote:I like how you took your generic glowy triteness, and melded it with your regular concept of overdone mythology, combining it all into a totally unwearable product. You always push boundaries.


Yet there seems to be an audience for this...

Personally, I don't see the appeal of this. You can probably do better than this. But for this design (I don't like saying this), but I agree with Adder.

sonny2009


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonny2009
Re: Color to your world


The blues like nice and bright, so kudos for that, but to me it looks like a fully grown bird, when if it just hatched, it should be a baby. Also the black ink color you used will not be visible on the navy blue shirt, so all the outlines and shadows are going to virtually disappear once this prints.

Selene1212


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Selene1212

Beautiful.

Welcome back.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Color to your world


perhaps we have just witnessed the hatching of the elusive Ice Chicken.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
Jestik wrote:perhaps we have just witnessed the hatching of the elusive Ice Chicken.


Hopefully, it goes extinct very, very soon.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

truffleshuffle


quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
xxchange wrote:A little too Pokemon for me, but pretty.


Oh man...now all I see is a little Articuno.

Muntoe


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Muntoe
Re: Color to your world


Ehh, I like the colors but like the user above it looks like Articuno to me, and I've outgrown wearing these types of animal/cute birdy shirts.

bradyson


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bradyson
xxchange wrote:A little too Pokemon for me.


I agree, all I can think about is Jamaican Proctologist.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

I don't really see the prettiness in this design that others do. The bird is (I know I say this a lot) nondescript and kind of boring overall. The colors pop nicely, but the overall image doesn't strike me as all that wearable.

MaryESP


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaryESP
jmmbell1987 wrote:I don't really see the prettiness in this design that others do. The bird is (I know I say this a lot) nondescript and kind of boring overall. The colors pop nicely, but the overall image doesn't strike me as all that wearable.


AGREED.

PixelPotato


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PixelPotato
Re: Color to your world


Beautiful.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Nothing against the design or the designer, but what does this have to do with the "blues" other then the bird being blue (which looks like a Phoenix that should be red/orange)? The bird doesn't look "blue" in the emotional sense either, if anything it looks proud and confident. I don't get why this wasn't rejected personally.

Tanapangarap


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tanapangarap

Adder must be getting to everyone by posting constructive criticism. Such a sin! After all, it is one thing to vote arbitrarily, but quite another to say Mean Things.

Get with The Program.

joelterrific


quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Re: Color to your world

I'd love to hear the 'blue' connection here from the artist. Otherwise, I'll be sending the rejectorator.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

Nevermind- I don't want to get into this argument.

sekiyoku


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sekiyoku
joelterrific wrote:I'd love to hear the 'blue' connection here from the artist. Otherwise, I'll be sending the rejectorator.


The whole purpose of the design is that there is a lifeless gray world and the bird, which contains color (blue), is being born into it. It is relevant to the theme because it focuses on the color. 'And whether you interpret the word "blue" in the subject matter, or make your design a study in the color blue, is up to you.'

Please remove the rejection. You posted this here but gave me only 5 minutes to respond before rejecting it anyway. What was the point of doing so?

CrescentDebris


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

I don't speak up about most things on here but I take issue with why this was rejected. I really don't care who does what or whether a design is great or a big steaming pile. I don't care if you love or hate the artist or design. I personally don't get into the whole politics and drama. I just like rules to be followed by the artists and by the people in charge. I hate seeing designs break rules and win, and I hate seeing legit entries rejected.

I understand NO TEXT rejections because its plainly stated in the rules. I wish USE OF VECTOR PACKS was cause for rejection but putting aside any hatred you have for the artist or the design, why was this rejected?

The reject statement says "So this contains the color blue, but that's the only reference I see."

Fair enough. I don't see any other references to "blue" either...but what did the rules say? Did the rules say that you needed more than one reference to BLUE? I didn't see that part in the description. Please show me. And if you can, I'll gladly say I was wrong and this should be rejected. I didn't vote for it nor was I going to buy it or make money off of it. My whole point for speaking up is for the principle of the whole thing. The theme isn't "The Blues" or "Feeling Blue". How can you have a description for the theme that says:

"Are we talking about the color of light with wavelengths of roughly 440–490 nanometers?" ... "Yes, all of it and more. Any shade of meaning of the word "blue" you desire is fair game this week."

and then reject something that centers around the color blue? The way the derby description is written, "the bird being blue" is all it has to be. There are designs centered around blue berries, blue birds, blue whales... so why not this bird that is emanating blue? If he was sad, then would it have been ok? If he was playing the blues would that be ok? If being "blue" or playing "blues" is whats required, then the other elements of using an animal or plant with "blue" in its name or the color "blue" are completely irrelevant. And if those are the only uses of the word "blue" that should have been used then the derby description should have specifically said "Your design should center around the feeling of being BLUE or center around musical style of THE BLUES and should not center merely around the color of light with wavelengths of roughly 440–490 nanometers."

AlastorX


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlastorX
Re: Color to your world


Okay I was so excited to buy this shirt I should have figured someone would find some reason to reject it. All of the top four just have the color blue. I don't see the logic in rejecting this one. The humming bird just has the color blue and it's not rejected.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
sekiyoku wrote:The whole purpose of the design is that there is a lifeless gray world and the bird, which contains color (blue), is being born into it. It is relevant to the theme because it focuses on the color. 'And whether you interpret the word "blue" in the subject matter, or make your design a study in the color blue, is up to you.'

Please remove the rejection. You posted this here but gave me only 5 minutes to respond before rejecting it anyway. What was the point of doing so?


You know, I've never particularly been a fan, but she's 100% right here. How is a blue bird off-topic in a week where the theme stated that doing a color study was an option? It's a bluebird, that's at least as on-topic as Blue's Clues.

Draike


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draike
geekfactor12 wrote:You know, I've never particularly been a fan, but she's 100% right here. How is a blue bird off-topic in a week where the theme stated that doing a color study was an option? It's a bluebird, that's at least as on-topic as Blue's Clues.


It's not a bluebird, though. It's a bird that happens to be blue. If this bird was a Blue Jay, or an Eastern Bluebird or even a Macaw, and not some might-be-a-pheonix-we're-not-sure random bird, then it probably would have stayed.

However I do agree with those who stated that there are other "just blue" entries that need to be rejected. You can't single this one out without taking down the others that are also violating the same rule.

sumosahilattack


quality posts: 6 Private Messages sumosahilattack
Re: Color to your world


I don't see why this was rejected over other designs. I was looking forward to buying this one.

geekfactor12


quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Draike wrote:It's not a bluebird, though. It's a bird that happens to be blue. If this bird was a Blue Jay, or an Eastern Bluebird or even a Macaw, and not some might-be-a-pheonix-we're-not-sure random bird, then it probably would have stayed.


My issue is that the design is pretty straight-forwardly about the blueness of the bird, something that seems to be clearly allowed in the rules. I'm baffled that it was ever rejected.

While I know a lot of people dislike certain artists or voting patterns, I think this contest is a much more enjoyable place to compete when the rules are the same for everyone and are enforced equally across the board. In this instance, that does not seem to be happening.

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Color to your world


I agree, I got one of my comps knoked out and I understand why but while I don't like this art it shouldn't have been rejected. The hummingbird and numerous other ones should be kicked then too, btw I reposted a design to make up for the kicked one. Now with 100% more parody

The Binge

PixelPotato


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PixelPotato
Re: Color to your world


Finding out this got rejected makes me very sad.

BaldBob007


quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
sekiyoku wrote:The whole purpose of the design is that there is a lifeless gray world and the bird, which contains color (blue), is being born into it. It is relevant to the theme because it focuses on the color. 'And whether you interpret the word "blue" in the subject matter, or make your design a study in the color blue, is up to you.'

Please remove the rejection. You posted this here but gave me only 5 minutes to respond before rejecting it anyway. What was the point of doing so?


Agree. Bad call by the rejectionator. I sincerely hope this gets reversed and you get your votes back, Seki.

DTurd711


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DTurd711

Assuming this is a phoenix, who the heck says a phoenix can't be blue? Phoenixes are associated with fire, and flames are blue if they burn hot enough. Essentially there was no thought put into this rejection. There have been more than enough intelligent arguments to legitimize the design. Don't make me lose my faith in the Woot democracy!

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
DTurd711 wrote:Assuming this is a phoenix, who the heck says a phoenix can't be blue? Phoenixes are associated with fire, and flames are blue if they burn hot enough. Essentially there was no thought put into this rejection. There have been more than enough intelligent arguments to legitimize the design. Don't make me lose my faith in the Woot democracy!


The artist, Sekiyoku, actually already addressed whether it was a phoenix or not, saying "It's not specifically supposed to be a phoenix". It is still a blue bird though of some sort,on a blue shirt, but I just wanted to let you know that the phoenix route wasn't quite what she had in mind.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Draike wrote:It's not a bluebird, though. It's a bird that happens to be blue. If this bird was a Blue Jay, or an Eastern Bluebird or even a Macaw, and not some might-be-a-pheonix-we're-not-sure random bird, then it probably would have stayed.

However I do agree with those who stated that there are other "just blue" entries that need to be rejected. You can't single this one out without taking down the others that are also violating the same rule.


Agreed.

Though I think this one was rejected on a "god this leaps into the vacuum" level as well. Which I would personally like to see more of.

pm1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pm1
joelterrific wrote:I'd love to hear the 'blue' connection here from the artist. Otherwise, I'll be sending the rejectorator.


This is ridiculous. We all know the seki hate that some of the crowd here, and even, apparently, the woot mods, harbor, but how can this shirt with a radiantly blue bird breaking out of a grey egg not encompass the theme of "blue"? If the shirt color was anything else, but the theme was the same, surely this would not have been rejected.

I wonder, then, what connection the van gogh starry night shirt has to "blue", what connection the blue orchid shirt has other than the flower being blue (which is, in my opinion, equivalent to the bird being blue), the connection cookie monster has other than happening to be colored blue (which is even less relevant to the theme than this shirt), etc.
If this remains rejected then I would say that at least a tenth of the shirts up right now deserve rejection for the same reasoning.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
pm1 wrote:This is ridiculous. We all know the seki hate that some of the crowd here, and even, apparently, the woot mods, harbor, but how can this shirt with a radiantly blue bird breaking out of a grey egg not encompass the theme of "blue"? If the shirt color was anything else, but the theme was the same, surely this would not have been rejected.

I wonder, then, what connection the van gogh starry night shirt has to "blue", what connection the blue orchid shirt has other than the flower being blue (which is, in my opinion, equivalent to the bird being blue), the connection cookie monster has other than happening to be colored blue (which is even less relevant to the theme than this shirt), etc.
If this remains rejected then I would say that at least a tenth of the shirts up right now deserve rejection for the same reasoning.


It is not ridiculous. It is off theme.

I agree, there are multiple designs that deserve to be slashed and have not based on the theme, but I blame this on loose derbyist conceptualization. Woot has gone derby upon derby stating "we don't pay attention to our own themes," and now they are getting strict, and too damn bad for anyone being cut down. I think it's appropriate that seki is among the first, given all the times she has flaunted her total lack of respect for theme. So while I agree with your commentary that more needs to go, I fully disagree that this should stay. There is only one "designer" who comes remotely close when it comes to off theme designs that stick around, and it is her boyfriend.

And really, it doesn't matter why woot rejected this. Woot got it right. No one with any true investment in this site wants to see more of this win.

darkkish


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkkish
Re: Color to your world


Woot! needs to be way clearer with their derby entry rules.

Are we talking about the color of light with wavelengths of roughly 440–490 nanometers? [...] Yes, all of it and more. Any shade of meaning of the word "blue" you desire is fair game this week.

So obviously it could be this kind of tropical blue bird. I have no idea what it's called. Since there are actually blue birds like this, I don't believe you can reject this on account of it not being blue related.

animatedbox


quality posts: 2 Private Messages animatedbox
Re: Color to your world


"Rejected because: So this contains the color blue, but that's the only reference I see."


Where in the derby rules does it say that you need more than one reference? The subject of the drawing is the bird, and the bird is blue. How does that not fit the very loosely constructed theme of the derby?

rudyrudell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rudyrudell
Re: Color to your world




This should not have been rejected. I would have totally bought this one. It's definitly relative to the theme.

Deflit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deflit
AdderXYU wrote:It is not ridiculous. It is off theme...

... I think it's appropriate that seki is among the first, given all the times she has flaunted her total lack of respect for theme. So while I agree with your commentary that more needs to go, I fully disagree that this should stay. There is only one "designer" who comes remotely close when it comes to off theme designs that stick around, and it is her boyfriend...

... No one with any true investment in this site wants to see more of this win.


Your bias feelings toward the artist and her boyfriend are weak. Everyone knows you hate on them no matter how different they are each week. You can't even say that they've done the exact same designs every time. It's like saying other artists do the "same design each derby" because they follow their own distinct "style."

Unlike the other entries that could allegedly be called off-theme that they have made, this one is not. The rules clearly stated it only had to deal with the color blue, or any type of blue(sadness, music, television characters) thus making it a very broad theme this week.

This entry had a blue bird in it. That's all it needed to be on-topic this week. Nothing else. if it needed more then the theme wasn't clearly stated at all.

Blame the theme for its wording being too broad, not this entry for being off-topic. It definitely is not.

Rejectionator should go through the rest of the entries that have only to do with a blue object and reject them as well, otherwise it just conformed to the vocal minority in taking this artist down from near the top. The only entry in the fog right now that's a play on the word "blue" is the Blue's Clues one. The other three should be rejected as well if this one was. Among the rest of them.

mopsie2002


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mopsie2002
Re: Color to your world


Sadness, I loved this one!

Oregonian through and through <3...even if I call North Carolina my home now.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Deflit wrote:Your bias feelings toward the artist and her boyfriend are weak. Everyone knows you hate on them no matter how different they are each week. You can't even say that they've done the exact same designs each week. It's like saying other artists do the "same design each week" because they follow their own distinct "style."

Unlike the other entries that could allegedly be called off-theme that they have made, this one is not. The rules clearly stated it only had to deal with the color blue, or any type of blue(sadness, music, television characters) thus making it a very broad theme this week.

This entry had a blue bird in it. That's all it needed to be on-topic this week. Nothing else. if it needed more then the theme wasn't clearly stated at all.

Blame the theme for its wording being too broad, not this entry for being off-topic. It definitely is not.

Rejectionator should go through the rest of the entries that have only to do with a blue object and reject them as well, otherwise it just conformed to the vocal minority in taking this artist down from near the top. The only entry in the fog right now that's a play on the word "blue" is the Blue's Clues one. The other three should be rejected as well if this one was. Among the rest of them.


I don't disagree with your last paragraph.

I do disagree with all the other ignorant bias you're giving off. I am not biased against anyone unless they continually bring horrible work, uncreative work, and unthematic work to the derby. This person does this every week she enters.

The rules are clear. the shirt must be ABOUT blue. This is about a bird hatching. Not a bluebird. Not a blue jay. Just some bird. There are lots of things here which are not about blue, as well, and this is the fault of the designers and non-designers-who-enter-anyway. But this should have been rejected. You could change the color and have the same exact entry. To me, that states it is not about blue at all. Any entry on theme should be unable to work without its relative blue usage. Or else it is not about blue.

The idea of being about blue the color is to mean to create a design which pays homage to the color. Not just anything that uses the color.

rglee129


quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Color to your world


I gotta admit, I was surprised to see this one rejected, too. Granted, that bird could have been any color and it would tell the exact same story. BUT this particular version of the story was bringing BLUE into the world, so it should be okay.

raevynpheather


quality posts: 0 Private Messages raevynpheather

All I have to say is that Woot dropped the ball on this one. They took a shirt that had something to do with the theme, and rejected it. Not only that but it was the best shirt in the derby, and would have sold out by 8am and been in the reckoning for months.

WOOT REJECTOR TAKE NOTE: If you do not take this level of rejection from here on out, and for the more than 75% of the shirts in this derby that have less to do with blue, than this shirt, then you fail at your job. You need to be fair and balanced. If you are actually fair and balanced, I expect to see more rejected designs than accepted designs in the future.

onixblack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages onixblack
raevynpheather wrote:All I have to say is that Woot dropped the ball on this one. They took a shirt that had something to do with the theme, and rejected it. Not only that but it was the best shirt in the derby, and would have sold out by 8am and been in the reckoning for months.

WOOT REJECTOR TAKE NOTE: If you do not take this level of rejection from here on out, and for the more than 75% of the shirts in this derby that have less to do with blue, than this shirt, then you fail at your job. You need to be fair and balanced. If you are actually fair and balanced, I expect to see more rejected designs than accepted designs in the future.


I agree with this patron This was one of the best shirt out there. I was going to buy one for me and for my little lady but everything else in the fog leaps into the vacuum to me so Im not buying anymore

DFirefly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DFirefly
sumosahilattack wrote:I don't see why this was rejected over other designs. I was looking forward to buying this one.


Me too, i am very dissappointed with whoever decided to pull the plug on this one. It is beautiful and i was really looking forward to buying it.

samjack56


quality posts: 0 Private Messages samjack56

Bring this shirt back up in the votes, there's no basis for rejection. It is the color BLUE, which is what this derby is all about. So tell me: how does this shirt NOT fit into this derby?

hookemhorns212


quality posts: 2 Private Messages hookemhorns212
AdderXYU wrote:
And really, it doesn't matter why woot rejected this. Woot got it right. No one with any true investment in this site wants to see more of this win.


Amen.

omnitarian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
Re: Color to your world


Kinda have to agree that this rejection is rather hypocritical. "The only relation to blue is that it just-so happens to contains the color blue" adequately describes nearly half the designs in the top ten. I don't care how Woot interprets its own rules, but I rather they interpret them consistently.

marmls2m


quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
samjack56 wrote:Bring this shirt back up in the votes, there's no basis for rejection. It is the color BLUE, which is what this derby is all about. So tell me: how does this shirt NOT fit into this derby?


you people are unbelievable. where the hell were all of you during the steampunk derby where ramyoku had three entries in the top that were all off topic but didnt get rejected anyway? where were all you rabid fanboys during the pointilism derby where an off topic design by your favorite designer was upheld by joel regardless of the fact that other designs had been rejected in that derby for less egregious offenses? how many times IN A ROW has this designer skirted around the rules and had not been punished for it? how many times had this designer and her boyfriend submitted designs that were full of unclear boundries about which of them actually designed the shirt, designs that were so glaringly off topic they deficated on the derby rules and all the shirts in the derby that were on topic but were ranked under this kind of scaffolding, AND NONE OF YOU SAID A DAMNED WORD????

granted i am a little upset, but you are all rabble roused over this, spouting off about how this isnt fair and you dont resepct woot's democratic process(are you kidding me?) and you willfully disregard all the times sekiyoku has danced around the rules with no consequence. and yet you still want to pretend this is a fair contest. you all dont give a scaffolding and half about fair. you just liked it when the woot bias was toward sekiyoku, not against her.

how does it taste seki, your own medicine? is it bitter? because its what we detractors have been choking down for the past year. maybe now youll pay attention to the rules. im not very hopeful though

and i want to make it clear that i still respect the many submitting artists in this thread such as binkdrop and omni that want the same rules upheld for everyone. while i disagree with you about the legitimacy of this rejection, i respect willingness to raise your voice about it. most artists on this site remain silent about anything unpleasent for fear of alienating people against them


Altheahelaine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Altheahelaine
marmls2m wrote:you people are unbelievable. where the hell were all of you during the steampunk derby where ramyoku had three entries in the top that were all off topic but didnt get rejected anyway? where were all you rabid fanboys during the pointilism derby where an off topic design by your favorite designer was upheld by joel regardless of the fact that other designs had been rejected in that derby for less egregious offenses? how many times IN A ROW has this designer skirted around the rules and had not been punished for it? how many times had this designer and her boyfriend submitted designs that were full of unclear boundries about which of them actually designed the shirt, designs that were so glaringly off topic they deficated on the derby rules and all the shirts in the derby that were on topic but were ranked under this kind of scaffolding, AND NONE OF YOU SAID A DAMNED WORD????


Indeed- people need to stop chalking it up to You're just a jealous hater!/Angry that they get prints/crazy when it is really so much more then that.

I live, I learn, and so aid my end while I believe I'm winning

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Altheahelaine wrote:Indeed- people need to stop chalking it up to You're just a jealous hater!/Angry that they get prints/crazy when it is really so much more then that.


Now they just need to reject ramy's so that all of the outraged fanboys get their panties twisted so tight they never come back or cast another vote.

ryano1124


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryano1124
AdderXYU wrote:No one with any true investment in this site wants to see more of this win.


I'm not real sure what this means Adder.

XocoMint


quality posts: 0 Private Messages XocoMint
marmls2m wrote:you people are unbelievable. where the hell were all of you during the steampunk derby where ramyoku had three entries in the top that were all off topic but didnt get rejected anyway? where were all you rabid fanboys during the pointilism derby where an off topic design by your favorite designer was upheld by joel regardless of the fact that other designs had been rejected in that derby for less egregious offenses? how many times IN A ROW has this designer skirted around the rules and had not been punished for it? how many times had this designer and her boyfriend submitted designs that were full of unclear boundries about which of them actually designed the shirt, designs that were so glaringly off topic they deficated on the derby rules and all the shirts in the derby that were on topic but were ranked under this kind of scaffolding, AND NONE OF YOU SAID A DAMNED WORD????


It shouldn't be about whether any of her (or Ramyb's) shirts are off topic when they are. The rejection of this shirt is about THIS shirt alone. Yes, their other shirts may have been on topic BUT the Woot Admins should have rejected THOSE shirts. THIS shirt is actually on topic.

I'm not trying to defend Seki (in fact, I didn't vote this shirt in, and had no intentions on buying one), just pointing out that her being off topic previously shouldn't have bearing on her getting rejected now.

marmls2m


quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
XocoMint wrote:It shouldn't be about whether any of her (or Ramyb's) shirts are off topic when they are. The rejection of this shirt is about THIS shirt alone. Yes, their other shirts may have been on topic BUT the Woot Admins should have rejected THOSE shirts. THIS shirt is actually on topic.

I'm not trying to defend Seki (in fact, I didn't vote this shirt in, and had no intentions on buying one), just pointing out that her being off topic previously shouldn't have bearing on her getting rejected now.


you are missing my message. i was not dwelling on the hypocrisy of the WOOT STAFF, i was pointing out the hypocrisy of the COMMENTATORS on this page, the sekiyoku fans who demand "fairness" on this entry.

i have long ago accepted the hypocrisy of the woot staff, and i find it both amusing and vindicating that sekiyoku now finds herself on the other side of a double standard.

the woot staff will never change. they will always be fickle, biased, and frustratingly unfair.


Tatchy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tatchy

Aww.. this was one of my favorite designs this derby! I don't see how this is off topic at all! If you want a closer adherence to the topic then choose a more specific one next time.

If this design had so many votes, then they should be able to sell a lot of shirts with it. Why would woot be so eager to reject it if this is what would sell?

XocoMint


quality posts: 0 Private Messages XocoMint
marmls2m wrote:you are missing my message. i was not dwelling on the hypocrisy of the WOOT STAFF, i was pointing out the hypocrisy of the COMMENTATORS on this page, the sekiyoku fans who demand "fairness" on this entry.

i have long ago accepted the hypocrisy of the woot staff, and i find it both amusing and vindicating that sekiyoku now finds herself on the other side of a double standard.

the woot staff will never change. they will always be fickle, biased, and frustratingly unfair.


The commentators are and have always been as bad, if not worse, than the woot staff. I discovered that long before I discovered how hypocritical the woot staff was.

I don't think it's amusing or vindicating in the slightest, just plain dumb.

marmls2m


quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
XocoMint wrote:The commentators are and have always been as bad, if not worse, than the woot staff. I discovered that long before I discovered how hypocritical the woot staff was.

I don't think it's amusing or vindicating in the slightest, just plain dumb.


good for you


joynerCN


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joynerCN

Shouldn't have been rejected. That's about all I have to say.

MacMagic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MacMagic
joynerCN wrote:Shouldn't have been rejected. That's about all I have to say.



Are you color blind Woot!!! It's a Blue Jay!!!!

angelbabi523


quality posts: 11 Private Messages angelbabi523
joynerCN wrote:Shouldn't have been rejected. That's about all I have to say.


Exactly how i feel, its not just blue...for me its about how blue is "not blue"

how this blue bird is bringing out life from they grey world around it, being completely the opposite of what blue is considered to be..sad, mopey, dull, and lifeless.

Just because you can't "see" the other references doesn't mean its not there. That's how art works. Its a different experience for everyone and if someone wants to put art on a shirt then more power too them.

I was really looking forward to buying this shirt. :-( now im really blue

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
angelbabi523 wrote:Exactly how i feel, its not just blue...for me its about how blue is "not blue"

how this blue bird is bringing out life from they grey world around it, being completely the opposite of what blue is considered to be..sad, mopey, dull, and lifeless.

Just because you can't "see" the other references doesn't mean its not there. That's how art works. Its a different experience for everyone and if someone wants to put art on a shirt then more power too them.

I was really looking forward to buying this shirt. :-( now im really blue


It is how art works. It is totally how art works.

Which is one more reason the rejection is 100% valid.

angelbabi523


quality posts: 11 Private Messages angelbabi523
AdderXYU wrote:It is how art works. It is totally how art works.

Which is one more reason the rejection is 100% valid.


How is it 100% valid if the only reason is that there is only "1 reference to blue"... i just stated there is more than one reference to blue... which would make the rejection 50% valid.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
angelbabi523 wrote:How is it 100% valid if the only reason is that there is only "1 reference to blue"... i just stated there is more than one reference to blue... which would make the rejection 50% valid.

If you try to make that argument then anything in the world could be referenced to blue in some way or form. I saw a yellow bird, it reminded me of my grandmother who passed away, it made me feel blue. See what I mean? If it's not an obvious reference then it didn't fit the theme. This can happen and does in every single derby. "Open to interpretation" is not what this site is about. It has a very clear theme each week.

I think the biggest flaw was woot's explanation of this derby's theme. A lot of people kind of missed the mark. I also agree that if this one is rejected some others that haven't should be as well, and to stay consistent. But for once, I actually agree with Adder on this one that it should have been rejected. Hell has officially frozen over.

phoenixenvy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoenixenvy

Just a couple of points -

The Phoenix is, in fact, the color blue in some mythology.

The Phoenix also is a symbol of loneliness, i.e. being Blue, as only a single bird ever exists on the planet according to some versions of the story.

I was also looking forward to buying this shirt, and am now rather disappointed by it's fairly late-game rejection, and for no reason beyond a level of ignorance on the part of the banhammer. Next time explain your theme better, and don't use phrases like "or make your design a study in the color blue" and then reject a perfectly good submission for "just being blue, but otherwise unrelated." Sorry to be another Dr. Clayton Forrester on the internet calling names, but why so stupid, mate?

I like this site much less now than I did a week ago.

HalfWheat


quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
phoenixenvy wrote:Just a couple of points -

The Phoenix is, in fact, the color blue in some mythology.

The Phoenix also is a symbol of loneliness, i.e. being Blue, as only a single bird ever exists on the planet according to some versions of the story.

I was also looking forward to buying this shirt, and am now rather disappointed by it's fairly late-game rejection, and for no reason beyond a level of ignorance on the part of the banhammer. Next time explain your theme better, and don't use phrases like "or make your design a study in the color blue" and then reject a perfectly good submission for "just being blue, but otherwise unrelated." Sorry to be another Dr. Clayton Forrester on the internet calling names, but why so stupid, mate?

I like this site much less now than I did a week ago.


The artist said that the bird was not a phoenix, so what a phoenix is or isn't doesn't matter.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
phoenixenvy wrote:Just a couple of points -

The Phoenix is, in fact, the color blue in some mythology.

The Phoenix also is a symbol of loneliness, i.e. being Blue, as only a single bird ever exists on the planet according to some versions of the story.

I was also looking forward to buying this shirt, and am now rather disappointed by it's fairly late-game rejection, and for no reason beyond a level of ignorance on the part of the banhammer. Next time explain your theme better, and don't use phrases like "or make your design a study in the color blue" and then reject a perfectly good submission for "just being blue, but otherwise unrelated." Sorry to be another Dr. Clayton Forrester on the internet calling names, but why so stupid, mate?

I like this site much less now than I did a week ago.


I don't believe the picturemaker called it a phoenix. There is certainly no reason to believe it is, since it HATCHED FROM AN EGG. It's also, as people who can read would note, not a "study" of anything.

This entire argument is one more reason that votes should not be the be all and end all of what prints. All of these arguments are pointless in the face of facts. Yet you persist in them. Woot is right. You are wrong.

samjack56


quality posts: 0 Private Messages samjack56
marmls2m wrote:you people are unbelievable. where the hell were all of you during the steampunk derby where ramyoku had three entries in the top that were all off topic but didnt get rejected anyway? where were all you rabid fanboys during the pointilism derby where an off topic design by your favorite designer was upheld by joel regardless of the fact that other designs had been rejected in that derby for less egregious offenses? how many times IN A ROW has this designer skirted around the rules and had not been punished for it? how many times had this designer and her boyfriend submitted designs that were full of unclear boundries about which of them actually designed the shirt, designs that were so glaringly off topic they deficated on the derby rules and all the shirts in the derby that were on topic but were ranked under this kind of scaffolding, AND NONE OF YOU SAID A DAMNED WORD????

granted i am a little upset, but you are all rabble roused over this, spouting off about how this isnt fair and you dont resepct woot's democratic process(are you kidding me?) and you willfully disregard all the times sekiyoku has danced around the rules with no consequence. and yet you still want to pretend this is a fair contest. you all dont give a scaffolding and half about fair. you just liked it when the woot bias was toward sekiyoku, not against her.

how does it taste seki, your own medicine? is it bitter? because its what we detractors have been choking down for the past year. maybe now youll pay attention to the rules. im not very hopeful though

and i want to make it clear that i still respect the many submitting artists in this thread such as binkdrop and omni that want the same rules upheld for everyone. while i disagree with you about the legitimacy of this rejection, i respect willingness to raise your voice about it. most artists on this site remain silent about anything unpleasent for fear of alienating people against them


firing Rocket Number 9 idiots like you on this website need to stop building things up to be more than they are. I don't give a fire Rocket Number 9 who made it, it's an awesome design that fits into this weeks derby theme and it should have not been rejected. Just because you're a butt-hurt piece of Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) that doesn't like this particular artist because they're better than you doesn't mean you have to go raging around on the internet. Get ripped son.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
samjack56 wrote:firing Rocket Number 9 idiots like you on this website need to stop building things up to be more than they are. I don't give a fire Rocket Number 9 who made it, it's an awesome design that fits into this weeks derby theme and it should have not been rejected. Just because you're a butt-hurt piece of Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) that doesn't like this particular artist because they're better than you doesn't mean you have to go raging around on the internet. Get ripped son.


Do you yell at history classes for being so negative toward Chairman Mao without reading anything also?

Because yknow, if you'd read this thread, you'd realize that everything you just said was invalidated in as many logical and intelligent ways as possible, so that for someone to still not get it after having done minimal reading, they likely were already "ripped"

samjack56


quality posts: 0 Private Messages samjack56
AdderXYU wrote:Do you yell at history classes for being so negative toward Chairman Mao without reading anything also?

Because yknow, if you'd read this thread, you'd realize that everything you just said was invalidated in as many logical and intelligent ways as possible, so that for someone to still not get it after having done minimal reading, they likely were already "ripped"


I've read more than enough to know you're just mad because you can't win a popularity contest on the internet.

bpr2


quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

*gives the rejection person a cookie for a job well done.*

that was fun while it lasted!

Deflit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deflit
AdderXYU wrote:I don't disagree with your last paragraph.

I do disagree with all the other ignorant bias you're giving off. I am not biased against anyone UNLESS they continually bring horrible work, uncreative work, and unthematic work to the derby. This person does this every week she enters...



So, you ARE bias towards them..?? Either that or your last sentence was incorrect and you actually do think they bring decent creative and/or thematic work...

Odd.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail