Derby #132: Heart
+185

Lion Hearted

Lion Hearted
add a comment

Comments

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Lion Hearted


Lion Hearted.

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Lion Hearted

Nice illustration. Is this red on cranberry?



tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Andy47240 wrote:Nice illustration. Is this red on cranberry?


Yeah it's 3 colors on cranberry. A red, a maroon for shadows and a black outline.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Lion Hearted


This is good, but I've a few things to nitpick. The lion's expression is too "sad", I think it's because he's looking upwards. Also it could use a background behind the lion. I'm not a fan of gratuitous splatter, but something to make the whole design meld into the shirt, instead of looking like it's plastered onto it. Perhaps some scroll or foliage, leaves, texture, I have an idea in my head but it's hard to describe.

Overall though I like it

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
artulo wrote:This is good, but I've a few things to nitpick. The lion's expression is too "sad", I think it's because he's looking upwards. Also it could use a background behind the lion. I'm not a fan of gratuitous splatter, but something to make the whole design meld into the shirt, instead of looking like it's plastered onto it. Perhaps some scroll or foliage, leaves, texture, I have an idea in my head but it's hard to describe.

Overall though I like it


Yeah I didn't want to use splatter 'cause with the colors it'd look like blood. I could maybe do some foilage and vines but I didn't want it to get too cluttered. I didn't want to do this 'cute' or 'fierce'. Being lion hearted doesn't mean you don't feel things so I like the slightly downtrod eyes. Also I didn't mean to, but now that I think about it, this could be an homage to the cowardly lion from Oz.

Glad you like it though. This is my 'serious' piece this derby

monkeyswag


quality posts: 0 Private Messages monkeyswag
Re: Lion Hearted


Really lovely artwork. Nice job.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Lion Hearted


Nice to see this Tjost! I really like it, it's very simple and very striking. Nice looking graphic of a lion that anyone can wear. Great work and I wish you luck!!!

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Lion Hearted

This lion looks really nice Tjost! Reminds me of the carved marble animal heads you see on some buildings.
And I definitely appreciate all the use of the shirt color, so even though it is a big graphic it would stay soft. At least, I think the main color I see for much of the shadows is the shirt color, hopefully that's right;)


tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
jasneko wrote:This lion looks really nice Tjost! Reminds me of the carved marble animal heads you see on some buildings.
And I definitely appreciate all the use of the shirt color, so even though it is a big graphic it would stay soft. At least, I think the main color I see for much of the shadows is the shirt color, hopefully that's right;)


Yeah that was my intention with the statue look, and yup a lot of the color is shirt Thanks for the support!

gcrable


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcrable
artulo wrote:This is good, but I've a few things to nitpick. The lion's expression is too "sad", I think it's because he's looking upwards. Also it could use a background behind the lion. I'm not a fan of gratuitous splatter, but something to make the whole design meld into the shirt, instead of looking like it's plastered onto it. Perhaps some scroll or foliage, leaves, texture, I have an idea in my head but it's hard to describe.

Overall though I like it


Personally, I love the look of the love-struck eyes. I think they're perfect. And splatter? It's busy enough as it is. I think that would cheapen the look.

Senorvandal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Senorvandal

Dig it. Two quality submissions for this derby. I think at least one of them will pull out a win.

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
Re: Lion Hearted


This really looks nice man. A great illustration, and it looks awesome on the burgundy.


artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
gcrable wrote:Personally, I love the look of the love-struck eyes. I think they're perfect. And splatter? It's busy enough as it is. I think that would cheapen the look.


You're welcome to disagree, and I believe what was written by me earlier was decidedly against the use of gratuitous splatter. Tasteful decoration would improve this greatly.

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Drakxxx wrote:This really looks nice man. A great illustration, and it looks awesome on the burgundy.


Thanks Drakxxx

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Lion Hearted


Great design! Love the clean look and colors. GMV

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
tgentry wrote:Great design! Love the clean look and colors. GMV


Thanks Travis, that means a lot coming from you!

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

looks nice, but are you sure you didn't copy this image?

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
wootvan wrote:looks nice, but are you sure you didn't copy this image?


AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! MY EYES, THEY BURN!!!!!!!!!

swellodell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages swellodell
tjost wrote:AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! MY EYES, THEY BURN!!!!!!!!!



That was amazing! I laughed so hard! But seriously, Great design, T.

Very Original. Love that it looks like a heart from far away.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
wootvan wrote:looks nice, but are you sure you didn't copy this image?


Papaya79


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Papaya79
artulo wrote:This is good, but I've a few things to nitpick. The lion's expression is too "sad", I think it's because he's looking upwards. Also it could use a background behind the lion. I'm not a fan of gratuitous splatter, but something to make the whole design meld into the shirt, instead of looking like it's plastered onto it. Perhaps some scroll or foliage, leaves, texture, I have an idea in my head but it's hard to describe.

Overall though I like it


I actually like the stand alone on this piece. It is very statuesque and statues need no introduction, fluff or frills If there were vines or a background of some sort I think it would take away from the heart shape of the mane. Great work, tjost!

runnerfrog13


quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Papaya79 wrote:I actually like the stand alone on this piece. It is very statuesque and statues need no introduction, fluff or frills If there were vines or a background of some sort I think it would take away from the heart shape of the mane. Great work, tjost!


Seconded.

I'm also impressed you only use 3 colors.

hollywoodxarson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hollywoodxarson
Re: Lion Hearted


Thats a sick design! Im not sold on the cranberry shirt. I kinda think it would look sweet on olive green, tho. Nice job, good luck!!

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
hollywoodxarson wrote:Thats a sick design! Im not sold on the cranberry shirt. I kinda think it would look sweet on olive green, tho. Nice job, good luck!!


Yeah I think the color combo may be killing it for some, but I wanted it to come across as a heart both in form and color and if I hade done it on another color shirt I would have used similar colors to the shirt to color it. Oh well Thanks for the support, I had fun creating it and I'll try to do some more stuff like this in the future.

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
tjost wrote:Yeah I think the color combo may be killing it for some, but I wanted it to come across as a heart both in form and color and if I hade done it on another color shirt I would have used similar colors to the shirt to color it. Oh well Thanks for the support, I had fun creating it and I'll try to do some more stuff like this in the future.


Can you put it up in black, just to see how it looks?

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
wootvan wrote:Can you put it up in black, just to see how it looks?


sure

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
wootvan wrote:Can you put it up in black, just to see how it looks?


I put it up in black now too.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail