Derby #140: Things That Start With the Letter S
+1053

Soulmates

Soulmates
add a comment

Comments

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Soulmates


Oh, you left the face on. Would be better without imo.

Hammylink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
Re: Soulmates


I'm worried they might count that as text.

______________________________________________

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Soulmates


That's not Elvish, those are squiggles! Safe.

Good luck, patrick! It's reminiscent of My Chemical Romance but that was so cruelly ruled out at the last minute, I wish you all the best.

patrickspens


quality posts: 8 Private Messages patrickspens
Spiritgreen wrote:That's not Elvish, those are squiggles! Safe.

Good luck, patrick! It's reminiscent of My Chemical Romance but that was so cruelly ruled out at the last minute, I wish you all the best.


Thanks! and ya, its just scribbles, not any real words or letters. it should pass

keelhaulkate


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelhaulkate
Re: Soulmates


very clever. love it!

walmazan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Soulmates


love it!, looks awesome!

windstirrer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages windstirrer
Re: Soulmates


Awesome, just plain awesome. One of my favorite shirts on site. I really hope it wins so I can buy it. It is really good. I love the books and the movies, so this just makes me happy.

D1C0M


quality posts: 0 Private Messages D1C0M
Re: Soulmates


Simply awesome!

Earlysong


quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong
Re: Soulmates


YES. <3

I love this website! ^^

snoodmonger


quality posts: 0 Private Messages snoodmonger
Earlysong wrote:YES. <3


very cool shirt!

TheyKilledKenny


quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny
Re: Soulmates


One Shirt to rule them all... One Shirt to find them... One Shirt to bring them all and in the darkness cloth them... GMV

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...

repoman86


quality posts: 3 Private Messages repoman86
Re: Soulmates


YES! GMV for sure!

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

This might be my first black woot shirt if it goes to print. I likey. GMV

colinm09


quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09

Like I said last night, this would look MUCH better without the face. It looks dumb and childish with it...not to mention the fact that it looks like it was drawn in Microsoft Paint or using Word's auto shapes.

-Matt Colin

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Soulmates


"As always, though, pop-culture stuff like Snakes on a Plane is not owned by us (yet!) and is thus unprintable. So don't waste your time."

I'm not holding my breath for this to actually be enforced, but I'm quite interested to know when woot obtained ownership of the Tolkien estate as well as the films which lent this specific imagery.

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
artulo wrote:Oh, you left the face on. Would be better without imo.

I'd like it better without the face in this case too, especially since the ring looks so awesome. Not a shirt for me, but regardless, this looks fantastic.

Vote!



runnerfrog13


quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: Soulmates


Yeah, I would like it better without the face, because of how cool the ring looks. On the other hand, the characters already have cartoon-like legs, and taking off the legs would dent the "soulmates" thing, so... 50/50.

Also concerned about the copyright involved with the one ring and the eye

CrystaIEyes


quality posts: 2 Private Messages CrystaIEyes

I'd have to disagree with some of the general opinion, personally, I think the face on the ring is perfect. Without it, the ring would be too lifeless and dull. Plus it adds to the whole irony of the happy/cuteness of the shirt contrasting the evil subjects its parodying.
So yay face!


Though as a side note, I also liked the shirt better in the other gray/brown color, I thought the image stuck out more. But maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
artulo wrote:Oh, you left the face on. Would be better without imo.


I agree.

dustthouart


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dustthouart
Re: Soulmates

I like the face.

patrickspens


quality posts: 8 Private Messages patrickspens
CrystaIEyes wrote:I think the face on the ring is perfect. Without it, the ring would be too lifeless and dull. Plus it adds to the whole irony of the happy/cuteness of the shirt contrasting the evil subjects its parodying.
So yay face!


this was basically my thinking when i made this. I tried it without and found it was a bit lifeless.

colinm09


quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09
patrickspens wrote:this was basically my thinking when i made this. I tried it without and found it was a bit lifeless.


Rings aren't living though. With the face it doesn't feel "alive"...it feels like a face from Clip Art. You should have either put more effort into it (you have good colors in the design that could be used for eyes) or not done it at all. In this case, no face is better than the face you have.

-Matt Colin

repoman86


quality posts: 3 Private Messages repoman86
AdderXYU wrote:"As always, though, pop-culture stuff like Snakes on a Plane is not owned by us (yet!) and is thus unprintable. So don't waste your time."

I'm not holding my breath for this to actually be enforced, but I'm quite interested to know when woot obtained ownership of the Tolkien estate as well as the films which lent this specific imagery.


It's a reference, not an actual licensed imaged. Take "Faster, Higher, Stronger, Aimier" for example...not to mention all of the other StarWars references there have been in the past...and Mario...all those Mario's...

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
AdderXYU wrote:"As always, though, pop-culture stuff like Snakes on a Plane is not owned by us (yet!) and is thus unprintable. So don't waste your time."

I'm not holding my breath for this to actually be enforced, but I'm quite interested to know when woot obtained ownership of the Tolkien estate as well as the films which lent this specific imagery.


Not to mention that there is text. It may be "made up" text, but it's still text. A "P" is a "P" whether or not it is followed by letters that would make a word.

CapSea


quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
Re: Soulmates


I agree that the eyes and mouth should stay. I would only suggest that the mouth and left eye be moved over slightly. Currently they are on the part of the ring that curves inward, while the other eye is on the ring base.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
repoman86 wrote:It's a reference, not an actual licensed imaged. Take "Faster, Higher, Stronger, Aimier" for example...not to mention all of the other StarWars references there have been in the past...and Mario...all those Mario's...


All of which should, by woot's comment, never have printed. There are non-licensed images that could be created of snakes on planes too, obviously.

Archon25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Archon25
Re: Soulmates

Very close to being awesome, but I have to side with the people who don't like the face.

espetrell


quality posts: 0 Private Messages espetrell
Re: Soulmates

This design made me pound my fist on the sofa arm and yell "Yes!" because of its awesomeness. GMV!

dancingstar4984


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dancingstar4984
Re: Soulmates


YES! GMV <3

chiakitea


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiakitea
Re: Soulmates


Omelets made great. YES.

mikeyvach


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeyvach

Am I the only person that fails to see anything having to do with the letter s? If it wasn't for the title, there's no way you'd be able to tell what he's going for.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: Soulmates


Awww this is a really cute shirt. I think it's great that such evil has found love. =D

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
mikeyvach wrote:Am I the only person that fails to see anything having to do with the letter s? If it wasn't for the title, there's no way you'd be able to tell what he's going for.


The "S" theme isn't overly clear to me either, but my larger issue is with the blatant pandering, and use of others' intellectual property. As a general rule, I'm just not a fan of the pop-culture reference shirts at all. There are exceptions, of course, in which the artist presents the familiar in a new, different, or quirky way, (Radishes, Batrobin, etc.) but to me, this shirt does none of those things. It's simply taken popular, established images and slapped smiley faces and arms & legs on them.

I find it deeply disappointing that this is presently in the fog, collecting votes not necessarily because of it's artistry, but because of the "omfgi<3lotr factor", while other more original and creative designs stand no chance at printing.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Soulmates


I severely wish the ring didn't have the face, but it doesn't break it for me. The coloring is awesome, especially the the halftoning. Those are so tricky, and you always do them so well :D.

I never though a giant, firey eyeball would look cute..but it's cuuuuuuuute.

Ocelotter


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ocelotter
mikeyvach wrote:Am I the only person that fails to see anything having to do with the letter s? If it wasn't for the title, there's no way you'd be able to tell what he's going for.


Sauron?

scarchin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scarchin
Re: Soulmates


Got my vote. I'll buy 2.

il4jc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages il4jc

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

hahentamashii


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hahentamashii
Re: Soulmates


I personally like the cute little face. It takes away from the seriousness of the subject, also the eye is so cute already, you can't have a cute eye and a silly little ring with legs.

About the copy right issue. It shouldn't be a huge issue, people draw parody of all sorts of things all the time in their webcomics.

Anyone who gets angry over this is only the biggest douch ever.

SubBass49


quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
Re: Soulmates


Much respect for an awesome design and an awesome concept. I could never wear it, but it gets my respect anyway. Great work!

Eriebadfish


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eriebadfish
Re: Soulmates


I don't know if I am having a balderee moment or am just missing something becuase I am new but.... What the hell does this design make referance too? I like it, I just am missing the message in a huge way! Parden my ignorance!

Ezshrkman


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezshrkman
Eriebadfish wrote:I don't know if I am having a balderee moment or am just missing something becuase I am new but.... What the hell does this design make referance too? I like it, I just am missing the message in a huge way! Parden my ignorance!


lord of the rings

Eriebadfish


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eriebadfish
Ezshrkman wrote:lord of the rings


Thanks, I never seen it so I wasnt familar... I thought I was going crazy for not knowing what everyone was talking about!

sanman111


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sanman111
endangeredomega wrote:The "S" theme isn't overly clear to me either, but my larger issue is with the blatant pandering, and use of others' intellectual property. As a general rule, I'm just not a fan of the pop-culture reference shirts at all. There are exceptions, of course, in which the artist presents the familiar in a new, different, or quirky way, (Radishes, Batrobin, etc.) but to me, this shirt does none of those things. It's simply taken popular, established images and slapped smiley faces and arms & legs on them.

I find it deeply disappointing that this is presently in the fog, collecting votes not necessarily because of it's artistry, but because of the "omfgi<3lotr factor", while other more original and creative designs stand no chance at printing.


Us average wooters would rather have a not-as-artsy-fartsy shirt that actually is wearable. 98% of the submissions I wouldn't be caught dead wearing.

GMV

SmartBugger


quality posts: 2 Private Messages SmartBugger
endangeredomega wrote:The "S" theme isn't overly clear to me either, but my larger issue is with the blatant pandering, and use of others' intellectual property. As a general rule, I'm just not a fan of the pop-culture reference shirts at all. There are exceptions, of course, in which the artist presents the familiar in a new, different, or quirky way, (Radishes, Batrobin, etc.) but to me, this shirt does none of those things. It's simply taken popular, established images and slapped smiley faces and arms & legs on them.


First, I think its important to highlight that this doesn't "use" another persons/corporation intellectual property. While IP laws can be incredibly subjective... an artistic rendition of a pop culture icon certainly doesn't qualify.

Secondly, I love quirky shirts like this that blatantly pander to the 20-something geek culture that dominates woot. The value of such shirts IS their simplicity and ability to identify with lots of people. On the other hand, there are artist on this site that obviously spend hours making elaborate designs that are filled with detail and subtext; but, these shirts also tend not to consider the anatomy of a person wearing them. I don't want someone staring at my chest for 20 minutes trying to deduce the inner meaning of a piece of art.... I simply want a cheap, well-made shirt to wear to the gym and perhaps start a conversation (and you start conversations on pop culture).

Art is subjective. If you asked me what art is... I would tell you its the great human endeavor of spending much time accomplishing nothing. Just look at some artist that are idolize... Andy Warhog drew cans of soup and Jackson Pollock looks like he took LSD and PCP while holding a paintbrush. So compared to some individuals the art community idolized, I think drawing smile faces, legs, and arms on pop-icons is a step in the right direction.

Stellardig


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stellardig
Re: Soulmates


This is really cool! But what about the text? I hope it doesn't get rejected. GMV

kabob983


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kabob983
Re: Soulmates


Fantastique!!!

If this wins my wife will want at least one.

-Kabob

Ldyandrea


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ldyandrea
Re: Soulmates


I'm not even a big Tolkien fan, and I think this is just the most adorable shirt EVAR. GMV, and I'll probably end up buying a couple for friends and myself if it prints. Great job! :D

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
patrickspens wrote:Thanks! and ya, its just scribbles, not any real words or letters. it should pass


Woot has kill shirts for pseudo text before:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=38280

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=37961

To me this shirt begs the question: What is the distinction between text and squiggles? If a designer took a series of random chinese characters, randomly flipped them left to right, and randomly removed or added strokes would that be text or scribbles?

Personally, I belief if it looks like a meaningful sequence of symbols, even if it has no meaning, it should be considered text.

repoman86


quality posts: 3 Private Messages repoman86
Re: Soulmates


Ooooo! It's looking like this week has a LOTR theme based on today's shirt. I think "Soulmates" would be an excellent way to finish! Still has my vote!

RaveDroid


quality posts: 15 Private Messages RaveDroid
Re: Soulmates


Ditto on the face thing, would have put my vote down for one if it weren't for that... Awesome concept

If you can read this, yourᅠbrowser'sᅠCompatibilityᅠsettings
areᅠconfiguredᅠcorrectly.ᅠᅠツ

vzfamily


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vzfamily
Re: Soulmates


While I think the face is adorable - I think many LOTR fans are guys, and won't wear it. My husband among them.

repoman86


quality posts: 3 Private Messages repoman86
vzfamily wrote:While I think the face is adorable - I think many LOTR fans are guys, and won't wear it. My husband among them.


I'd wear it and I'm a guy.

Kijad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kijad

I dig it. Tough call between the others (there are a ton of good ones this derby), but my inner geek prevailed here.

JustJiggles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JustJiggles
Re: Soulmates


I remember when this came out... a decade ago.

Stexe


quality posts: 21 Private Messages Stexe
Re: Soulmates


Ya... the face on the ring kills it for me. Why even have a face? You can tell they are walking together and holding hands (although I guess the hands could be closer together too, but that's just nitpicking).

Oh well, I voted for it just because I like the concept and would be amused to see other people wearing it -- I wouldn't though.

glstation


quality posts: 0 Private Messages glstation
Stexe wrote:Ya... the face on the ring kills it for me. Why even have a face? You can tell they are walking together and holding hands (although I guess the hands could be closer together too, but that's just nitpicking).

Oh well, I voted for it just because I like the concept and would be amused to see other people wearing it -- I wouldn't though.


You know, I dislike this type of voting. I love this shirt and voted for it - because I'll buy it if it prints. Why vote for a shirt if you aren't going to buy it?

icemonster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages icemonster

I usually like your entries, but this is just a rehash of the my chemical romance shirt you had the other week. No thanks.

nicohlette


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nicohlette

I love it! GMV

Keymoe891


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Keymoe891
Re: Soulmates


lol this is so awesome.. We love the LOTR trilogy ... sweet! hope they publish this. id sooo buy it.

jrims


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrims
Please reprint this!!!

Re: Soulmates

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail