Derby #140: Things That Start With the Letter S
+644

Spastic Squirrel

Spastic Squirrel
add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Spastic Squirrel


Now with a new title- I took the opportunity to make a few edits to the design since I had to resub anyway. If you liked the original, hopefully you'll still like it now

eye4spot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
Re: Spastic Squirrel


LOL...I do not see the similarity between a single bunny sniffing/lapping a spilled (true size) cup of coffee and two squirrels - one sipping a (squirrel sized) cup of coffee in hand and the other with a briefcase.

Not my style of shirt, but since you changed the name (personal preference is not dark-roast syrupy coffee beverages), I will vote for the re-sub! Assuming that one of your changes is that Mr. Squirrel now is on his third cup of light roast Kona.

christinaba22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages christinaba22

pure awesome. It's too bad this had to be resubmitted. I thought the first one was perfect!

colinm09


quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09
eye4spot wrote:LOL...I do not see the similarity between a single bunny sniffing/lapping a spilled (true size) cup of coffee and two squirrels - one sipping a (squirrel sized) cup of coffee in hand and the other with a briefcase.


What? So making the coffee cup smaller makes the design completely original?

It's this kind of logic that's allowed Seth MacFarlane to stay popular..."A talking alien is COMPLETELY different than a talking dog."

-Matt Colin

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Spastic Squirrel


Well, the tail looks a little better at least.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Spastic Squirrel


[No reason for my original post to be deleted at all. No name calling, no pejorative remarks, etc.]

It is insulting to this community that this design has been resubmitted even though both woot and a forum member have pointed out that a similar shirt already exists. This is why people get angry at ramyb: he regularly disregards rules and comments.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Fatstrat06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fatstrat06
JRWorkshop wrote:Very few I'd say.... Not noticeable...Same mediocreness


wow...i love how kind everyone is. this is a wonderful example of constructive criticism.

Fatstrat06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fatstrat06
kylemittskus wrote:[No reason for my original post to be deleted at all. No name calling, no pejorative remarks, etc.]

It is insulting to this community that this design has been resubmitted even though both woot and a forum member have pointed out that a similar shirt already exists. This is why people get angry at ramyb: he regularly disregards rules and comments.


Lord knows if he didn't disregard them he'd have hung himself by now. pPople are so rude, inconsiderate, and destructive with their comments, particularly toward ramyb. He has an art style that OBVIOUSLY gets votes and people can't stand it. Don't get mad at him, get mad at the people that continue to vote for his designs, and don't use his comment threads to slander and make ugly remarks.

MaliceKaiser


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaliceKaiser
Fatstrat06 wrote:wow...i love how kind everyone is. this is a wonderful example of constructive criticism.

It's kind of true though, whether the wording of their post came off as constructive or not... I'm gathering from the comments that the original was removed due to similarities to another design (the bunny one)? If so, then this one should not be allowed either, but it really isn't any different. "Goodness" or "badness" of the design aside, that's just the truth.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Fatstrat06 wrote:Lord knows if he didn't disregard them he'd have hung himself by now. pPople are so rude, inconsiderate, and destructive with their comments, particularly toward ramyb. He has an art style that OBVIOUSLY gets votes and people can't stand it. Don't get mad at him, get mad at the people that continue to vote for his designs, and don't use his comment threads to slander and make ugly remarks.


Woot said in the rejection that a similar shirt existed. This was also posted in the thread = he is aware that this shirt idea is unoriginal. How does this =/= his fault?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Spastic Squirrel


Heh, I'd like to see the arguments about how ramy takes him time and really cares about his designs seeing as how all he modified was the one squirrel's tail and left the myriad of perspective issues which wouldn't really be a hard fix and would make the shirt more wearable and more likely to get votes. It's no wonder all his shirts are dying on the reckoning nary a win to replace them.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Spastic Squirrel


I actually like the face on the coffee squirrel a lot more now. Nice fixings, and glad to see it back up.

ocdboy777


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocdboy777
mrwednesday wrote:all he modified was the one squirrel's tail


In a quick 15 sec or so look over, I counted about 9 changes. ;D

colinm09


quality posts: 70 Private Messages colinm09
ForumLurker wrote:Sure... shirts that break the rules get rejected.


You acknowledge that this breaks the rules, then say that shirts that break the rules get rejected...and yet this shirt is not rejected and you are vocally defending it. Mixed signals, no?

-Matt Colin

xazothia


quality posts: 54 Private Messages xazothia
Re: Spastic Squirrel


I'm just surprised that nobody has mentioned that "spastic" is considered an offensive term in the UK...

TheyKilledKenny


quality posts: 2 Private Messages TheyKilledKenny
Re: Spastic Squirrel


I like the crazed eyes...

Excuse Me Maam, Your Woot is Showing...

flamespear


quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear
Fatstrat06 wrote:Lord knows if he didn't disregard them he'd have hung himself by now. pPople are so rude, inconsiderate, and destructive with their comments, particularly toward ramyb. He has an art style that OBVIOUSLY gets votes and people can't stand it. Don't get mad at him, get mad at the people that continue to vote for his designs, and don't use his comment threads to slander and make ugly remarks.



This

rogue84


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rogue84
This shirt makes me giggle.

People are always nasty here; best practice is to just get thick skin. And appreciate what positive comments you do get.

colinm09 wrote:It's this kind of logic that's allowed Seth MacFarlane to stay popular..."A talking alien is COMPLETELY different than a talking dog."


That talking alien makes the whole show.

sacrerouge


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge

Today I can really empathize with the squirrel on the right. Tell caffienated squirrel to share ;)

I think the changes to the shirt really added to it, it's more appealing and clear what the idea is.

snowbabe4u


quality posts: 0 Private Messages snowbabe4u
Re: Spastic Squirrel


I miss the shakey spaz marks that were on the first one but this is still so me and my boyfriend that its gmv and i will buy one if it prints! Im the caffinated one :p

XshadowraithX


quality posts: 0 Private Messages XshadowraithX
Re: Spastic Squirrel


since i have no idea what people are griping about some already used idea i can't comment on it.

but the changes i noticed...grumpy's tail got longer, spastic's tail isnt twitching, coffee's steamin, shaded circle under the spastic's left paw, cups smaller, background grey is smoothed over, anything i miss?

i is sad spastic's tail longer is twitching...

waldojim


quality posts: 0 Private Messages waldojim
ramyb wrote:Now with a new title- I took the opportunity to make a few edits to the design since I had to resub anyway. If you liked the original, hopefully you'll still like it now


I haven't seen the other shirt everyone is complaining about, but I LOVE the way this shirt looks. Like your chibby horse, I would gladly buy one... or two!

DantesHavok


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DantesHavok
xazothia wrote:I'm just surprised that nobody has mentioned that "spastic" is considered an offensive term in the UK...


As a UK resident I agree... Spastic is a very offensive word... To a British ear, it's one of the most taboo insults.

The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability

Obviously the word has a different use and understanding in the US, this came to light when Tiger Woods said it live on UK TV about his performance which drew large shock and horror from many UK residents.

The UK and USA are seperated by a common language...

ForumLurker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ForumLurker
colinm09 wrote:You acknowledge that this breaks the rules, then say that shirts that break the rules get rejected...and yet this shirt is not rejected and you are vocally defending it. Mixed signals, no?


I don't think I acknowledged that it broke the rules. The point I'm trying to make is that if it doesn't get rejected then woot feels it's fine and doesn't break any of their rules. They (woot) make and enforce the rules... you just don't fully understand them. Of course if this does eventually get rejected... then it broke the rules.

Zarfus


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zarfus
Re: Spastic Squirrel


I seriously can't tell any major differences between this and the rejected one.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
ForumLurker wrote: They (woot) make and enforce the rules... you just don't fully understand them. Of course if this does eventually get rejected... then it broke the rules.

You don't know woot to well do you? They selectively enforce their own rules.

ForumLurker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ForumLurker
mikenytola wrote:You don't know woot to well do you? They selectively enforce their own rules.


Again... what you call selective is actaually your incomplete understanding of the subtle nuances of the rules.

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
DantesHavok wrote:As a UK resident I agree... Spastic is a very offensive word... To a British ear, it's one of the most taboo insults.

The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability

Obviously the word has a different use and understanding in the US, this came to light when Tiger Woods said it live on UK TV about his performance which drew large shock and horror from many UK residents.

The UK and USA are seperated by a common language...

Spastic is an ableist term in America too, we just really don't care. We like to pretend we're progressive in regards to social issues but... that's just untrue.

NameyMcName


quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
albinoapple wrote:Spastic is an ableist term in America too, we just really don't care. We like to pretend we're progressive in regards to social issues but... that's just untrue.


I think it is more that people don't realize it, the same way they don't know what cretin comes from.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
NameyMcName wrote:I think it is more that people don't realize it, the same way they don't know what cretin comes from.


It has to do with colloquial versus denotative language. The word "spastic" is no longer a pejorative term outside of jest colloquially which is, arguable, the only definition that really matters.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

alexanderjd


quality posts: 1 Private Messages alexanderjd

It never ceases to amaze me, the lengths to which people will stretch, in order to insult a ramyb design.

Saying that "animals drinking coffee" is a done deal is FAR to broad of claim. Why not just say "animals doing people things" is entirely off-limits, to cover the briefcase squirrel, too.

By that same logic, you can easily call half the fogged entries copies of something else.

arcade-art


quality posts: 1 Private Messages arcade-art
DantesHavok wrote:As a UK resident I agree... Spastic is a very offensive word... To a British ear, it's one of the most taboo insults.

The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability

Obviously the word has a different use and understanding in the US, this came to light when Tiger Woods said it live on UK TV about his performance which drew large shock and horror from many UK residents.

The UK and USA are seperated by a common language...


I agree, I don't get the title, pretty offensive in the UK

............ Video Game Art and Custom Sprites ............

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
alexanderjd wrote:It never ceases to amaze me, the lengths to which people will stretch, in order to insult a ramyb design.

Saying that "animals drinking coffee" is a done deal is FAR to broad of claim. Why not just say "animals doing people things" is entirely off-limits, to cover the briefcase squirrel, too.

By that same logic, you can easily call half the fogged entries copies of something else.


Woot said it as well as us. And there exists a shirt with a bunny drinking coffee. Not an animal doing human stuff. The comparison is far more specific than you're trying to make it seem. For reference (and those who "have no idea what anyone is talking about another shirt":

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

banzaaiii


quality posts: 0 Private Messages banzaaiii
Re: Spastic Squirrel


funny thing is woot actually rejected for the title containing "starbucks".

other than in concept there is nothing similar about the two shirts (and the similar stuff is only one part of this shirt). woot has never rejected for "similar concept shirt exists". it has always had to physically look like another shirt. (though it depends on how loosely you define the concept. if the concept is a squirrel getting hyper on coffee, thats fairly specific, but if its "animal gets hyper on coffee", theres more room for differences so it doesnt qualify as similar shirt exist)

i guess it served its purpose though, this shirt wont win, which is no big loss. the rejection didnt do much to improve woots reputation as consistent and able rejectors though. they could have just changed the title upon printing, which they regularly do.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
ForumLurker wrote:Again... what you call selective is actaually your incomplete understanding of the subtle nuances of the rules.

I was not talking about this design in particular, I was talking in general. The rules are not always enforced, it's not incomplete understanding, it's a factual observation that has been observed and complained about by many that frequent here.

If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound?

k thx

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
NameyMcName wrote:I think it is more that people don't realize it, the same way they don't know what cretin comes from.


Let me rephrase. America likes to pretend it's progressive when its citizens are pretty ignorant of any prejudice that doesn't involve a "whites only" sign. xP

fairnymph


quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
eye4spot wrote:LOL...I do not see the similarity between a single bunny sniffing/lapping a spilled (true size) cup of coffee and two squirrels - one sipping a (squirrel sized) cup of coffee in hand and the other with a briefcase.

Not my style of shirt, but b]since you changed the name (personal preference is not dark-roast syrupy coffee beverages)[/b], I will vote for the re-sub! Assuming that one of your changes is that Mr. Squirrel now is on his third cup of light roast Kona.


FYI, Starbucks uses and sells more light roast than anything else, and their 'dark' roasts do not please me. In general Starbucks doesn't enthuse me but it's better than convenience store or instant coffee, at least!

Ramy: I posted a rather long reply to your previous thread defending you as an artist, the idea/concept, and the coffee addict's 'eating the cup' look - which seems super-addictive & superior to leisurely sipping conceptually. I also used a lot of caps talking about ho wI hate chibi art, most animals on shirts, and have a phobia when it comes to squirrels due to terrifying and traumatic past experiences with the little hellions. But they deleted my post bc I believe I made an 'inappropriate' reference (booooo censorship, woot - you disappoint me as does your lack of humour.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

keemo0102


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keemo0102
mikenytola wrote:You don't know woot to well do you? They selectively enforce their own rules.


You don't know grammar two well do you?

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
keemo0102 wrote:You don't know grammar two well do you?


Woah! Such a compelling argument! You've really supported your view.

tjbeyerl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjbeyerl
Re: Spastic Squirrel


I guess I just don't get the appeal of the empty eye thing I keep seeing around here. To me, it always just looks like the artist forgot to draw in the pupil.

glstation


quality posts: 0 Private Messages glstation
keemo0102 wrote:You don't know grammar two well do you?


Was this a joke? Or...I'm going to believe it was a clever joke. Otherwise I think I'll cry.

nyren


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
Re: Spastic Squirrel


... I was annoyed at the shirt before, because it was the usual "RamyB submitted something he put no effort into, why can't someone who wins as consistently as he does actually put in some time to take art lessons and not make his designs have such horrible anatomy/perspective?" But, I wasn't going to comment, since I've said that a million times already. The previous submission, while something I'd never wear, didn't really warrant comment. I'm trying to get over my utter loathing of RamyB, because while he's repeatedly offensive in his attitude, he never really went over the line. Until now, at least.

But, this one goes above and beyond the norm. I can't believe RamyB thinks he can get away with mocking the disabled just because he's RamyB =\ I don't personally know anyone who has Cerebral Palsy, but this is really, really offensive.

What were his submissions for the other letters? "Mong Mongoose" for M? "link Fox" for F? "Pardon me, I'm a racist dork. Chihuahua" for C? "balderee Rabbit" for R? "Hey look, ma, I'm a racist! Narwhal" for N? (Note how Woot filters all of those other slurs except for Mong. I'm sure you can still guess what they were.)

I'm not someone who insists on everything being "PC," but this is pretty bad. Given how many video games and TV-shows marketed to kids had to be given adult ratings over this one word, and the massive scandal when Tiger Woods said it during a game in the UK, I'm just really surprised RamyB thinks he can get away with this.

Yeah, thanks for justifying my dislike of you, RamyB, just when I was trying to stop obsessing over your repeatedly offensive behavior

(EDIT: filtered words hard-filtered. Sorry if I offended anyone who hit the "reply" button; I didn't realize that lifted the filter)

sacrerouge


quality posts: 18 Private Messages sacrerouge

May I suggest to Woot if this wins it gets renamed to "Super Caffienated Squirrel" or Sleepy Squirrel (for the one on the right).
I'm not from the UK, so I didn't know this was an insult, but woot fixes titles upon print if theres a problem right?

mbadie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbadie

I don't get it. What does this mean?

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Spastic Squirrel


As much as I DESPISE Ramyb for various reasons related to tee shirts and message boards I don't think it's fair to go after him for the spastic thing. In most of the world it's not offensive. I had no clue it was such a big deal in the UK and I'll wager most people in the US don't either.

Spaz in the US is a very minor insult, in fact it doesn't even have to be insulting, it can mean something as harmless as jumpy or excited.

From what I understand "the C word" is in pretty common usage in Europe but in the US it's quite taboo.

Not his fault IMO

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
nyren wrote:... I was annoyed at the shirt before, because it was the usual "RamyB submitted something he put no effort into, why can't someone who wins as consistently as he does actually put in some time to take art lessons and not make his designs have such horrible anatomy/perspective?" But, I wasn't going to comment, since I've said that a million times already. The previous submission, while something I'd never wear, didn't really warrant comment. I'm trying to get over my utter loathing of RamyB, because while he's repeatedly offensive in his attitude, he never really went over the line. Until now, at least.

But, this one goes above and beyond the norm. I can't believe RamyB thinks he can get away with mocking the disabled just because he's RamyB =\ I don't personally know anyone who has Cerebral Palsy, but this is really, really offensive.

What were his submissions for the other letters? "Mong Mongoose" for M? "link Fox" for F? "Pardon me, I'm a racist dork. Chihuahua" for C? "balderee Rabbit" for R? "Hey look, ma, I'm a racist! Narwhal" for N? (Note how Woot filters all of those other slurs except for Mong. I'm sure you can still guess what they were, I have no desire to defeat the filters here, and I can make my point without doing so.)

I'm not someone who insists on everything being "PC," but this is pretty bad. Given how many video games and TV-shows marketed to kids had to be given adult ratings over this one word, and the massive scandal when Tiger Woods said it during a game in the UK, I'm just really surprised RamyB thinks he can get away with this.

Yeah, thanks for justifying my dislike of you, RamyB, just when I was trying to stop obsessing over your repeatedly offensive behavior


I generally avoid commenting in my own threads nowadays, but I think this is something that needs to be addressed. I'm not sure where you live, but having lived in the US all my life, I've never heard spastic used as an offensive term. If you haven't already, go take a look at the wikipedia page for the word, because this entry in no way implies anything about anyone disabled. In fact, if that were the type of usage of the word I was going for, it would have absolutely nothing to do with the image whatsoever. I was confused when I saw someone bring it up and went and educated myself a bit by reading about the term, but I think that should go both ways.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
keemo0102 wrote:You don't know grammar two well do you?

I sea what ewe did their.

The word of today is "relevance". k thx. That's "OK" and "thanks" for the grammar police.


And what's the big deal about the title? This is the US and a US based site, not the UK. Besides, don't you call a cigarette a f@g? What's more offensive... hmm. It's called cultural differences. Stick to the design flaws, not stupid things like the title.

nyren


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
ramyb wrote:If you haven't already, go take a look at the wikipedia page for the word, because this entry in no way implies anything about anyone disabled.


Evolution of the term in the United Kingdom
This section may contain original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. More details may be available on the talk page. (April 2009)

This medical term "spastic" became used to describe cerebral palsy. The Spastics Society, a UK charity for people with cerebral palsy, was founded in 1951.

From that article:

"However, the word began to be used as an insult and became a term of abuse used to imply stupidity or physical ineptness; one who is uncoordinated or incompetent, or a fool.[3] The mental connotation derived from a common misconception that those with any physical disability resulting in spasticity would necessarily also have a mental or developmental disability. It was often colloquially abbreviated to shorter forms such as "spaz".

[...]

The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability (balderee was deemed most offensive) [2]. In 2007, Lynne Murphy, a linguist at the University of Sussex, described the term as being "one of the most taboo insults to a British ear".[1]"

A good article on it

Mario's Party ended for saying "spastic"

The Tiger Woods thing

I could point out more examples/links/etc, but a simple Google search will turn them up if you do it. The word is highly offensive in most English-speaking countries, just not the US for some reason. Then again, R****d isn't considered offensive in the US either (though Woot does filter it).

I know Woot is a US company, but they've been shipping stuff overseas for years now (list of countries). Ethnocentricity isn't an excuse for something that blatantly offensive.

(EDIT: links fixed, sorry)

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
nyren wrote:... I was annoyed at the shirt before, because it was the usual "RamyB submitted something he put no effort into, why can't someone who wins as consistently as he does actually put in some time to take art lessons and not make his designs have such horrible anatomy/perspective?" But, I wasn't going to comment, since I've said that a million times already. The previous submission, while something I'd never wear, didn't really warrant comment. I'm trying to get over my utter loathing of RamyB, because while he's repeatedly offensive in his attitude, he never really went over the line. Until now, at least.

But, this one goes above and beyond the norm. I can't believe RamyB thinks he can get away with mocking the disabled just because he's RamyB =\ I don't personally know anyone who has Cerebral Palsy, but this is really, really offensive.

What were his submissions for the other letters? "Mong Mongoose" for M? "link Fox" for F? "Pardon me, I'm a racist dork. Chihuahua" for C? "balderee Rabbit" for R? "Hey look, ma, I'm a racist! Narwhal" for N? (Note how Woot filters all of those other slurs except for Mong. I'm sure you can still guess what they were, I have no desire to defeat the filters here, and I can make my point without doing so.)

I'm not someone who insists on everything being "PC," but this is pretty bad. Given how many video games and TV-shows marketed to kids had to be given adult ratings over this one word, and the massive scandal when Tiger Woods said it during a game in the UK, I'm just really surprised RamyB thinks he can get away with this.

Yeah, thanks for justifying my dislike of you, RamyB, just when I was trying to stop obsessing over your repeatedly offensive behavior


Wow. This post is full of many more offensive things than the design..ESPECIALLY if you can see the words that have been filtered, which I can thanks to the quote in the reply field. Talk about blatantly offensive language...

Generally the word 'spastic' is used to describe someone 'hyper' or 'overly sensitive', at least in the US. I've been called a 'spaz' several times in my life, hahah. I've never taken too much offense at it. There are far worse things to be called (which you've done a good job of listing above). In the case of this design, it's just a reference to the effect of too much coffee. As a big coffee fan, and a person prone to drinking too much of the stuff, I can attest that it does make one "spazzy"...

I've seen people work pretty hard to complain about Ramy, but this is a new standard. I'm quite sure he wouldn't knowingly make fun of disabled people.

Woot will probably delete all these posts when they see what you actually typed in your rant. Yikes. Totally uncalled for behavior over a tshirt featuring a squirrel drinking coffe.. 9_9

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
nyren wrote:Evolution of the term in the United Kingdom
This section may contain original research. Please improve it by verifying the claims made and adding references. Statements consisting only of original research may be removed. More details may be available on the talk page. (April 2009)

This medical term "spastic" became used to describe cerebral palsy. The Spastics Society, a UK charity for people with cerebral palsy, was founded in 1951.

From that article:

"However, the word began to be used as an insult and became a term of abuse used to imply stupidity or physical ineptness; one who is uncoordinated or incompetent, or a fool.[3] The mental connotation derived from a common misconception that those with any physical disability resulting in spasticity would necessarily also have a mental or developmental disability. It was often colloquially abbreviated to shorter forms such as "spaz".

[...]

The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability (balderee was deemed most offensive) [2]. In 2007, Lynne Murphy, a linguist at the University of Sussex, described the term as being "one of the most taboo insults to a British ear".[1]"

A good article on it: http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2007/01/spastic-learning-disability.html

Mario's Party ended for saying "spastic": http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168149

The Tiger Woods thing: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/golf/04/13/tiger.comments/index.html

I could point out more examples/links/etc, but a simple Google search will turn them up if you do it. The word is highly offensive in most English-speaking countries, just not the US for some reason. Then again, R****d isn't considered offensive in the US either (though Woot does filter it).

I know Woot is a US company, but they've been shipping stuff overseas for years now (list of countries: http://shirt.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=4906). Ethnocentricity isn't an excuse for something that blatantly offensive.


What on earth is balderdee? Did I just say something filthy?

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

nyren


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
SnowQueenVT wrote:What on earth is balderdee? Did I just say something filthy?


I have no idea what "balderdee" is, but it's the word that Woot's filter uses to replace a certain extremely common pejorative for people with a mental disability.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
nyren wrote:I have no idea what "balderdee" is, but it's the word that Woot's filter uses to replace a certain extremely common pejorative for people with a mental disability.


According to Webster, it's not even a word.
Personally, I wish they'd reprogram their filters a bit. Sometimes folks actually think you said what the filter printed. Like, The Strangers (2008). That's a particularly ridiculous one. A reader thought I was referencing a movie, book or something. Sheesh!

nyren


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
bassanimation wrote:Wow. This post is full of many more offensive things than the design..ESPECIALLY if you can see the words that have been filtered, which I can thanks to the quote in the reply field. Talk about blatantly offensive language...

Generally the word 'spastic' is used to describe someone 'hyper' or 'overly sensitive', at least in the US. I've been called a 'spaz' several times in my life, hahah. I've never taken too much offense at it. There are far worse things to be called (which you've done a good job of listing above). In the case of this design, it's just a reference to the effect of too much coffee. As a big coffee fan, and a person prone to drinking too much of the stuff, I can attest that it does make one "spazzy"...

I've seen people work pretty hard to complain about Ramy, but this is a new standard. I'm quite sure he wouldn't knowingly make fun of disabled people.

Woot will probably delete all these posts when they see what you actually typed in your rant. Yikes. Totally uncalled for behavior over a tshirt featuring a squirrel drinking coffe.. 9_9


Oh, I thought the filtered words remained filtered even there. The point wasn't to actually post them, but to illustrate that Woot doesn't allow such pejoratives normally. I'll go edit the post to replace the words with the filter result.

But, are you saying here is that, because the word isn't a pejorative to you or people you care about, no one should be offended? Because it isn't an insult to you, no one should be bothered by it? Are you one of those revolting people who use "happy"[filtered] or "jew" in casual conversation to indicate your dislike of something?

That attitude makes me really upset. I know I have to share an internet with people like that, but it doesn't make me happy

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
nyren wrote:I have no idea what "balderdee" is, but it's the word that Woot's filter uses to replace a certain extremely common pejorative for people with a mental disability.


OH, thankyou Nyren, after posting that I thought, how lazy...I should just look it up!(Maybe it is balderdash! Did I just say a dirty thing again?)...If nothing else comes of this perhaps everyone will think a little harder before submitting or saying something potentially
hurtful to other people,this world needs to come together , not fall apart over insults that were not intentional,I really hope the folks who see this derby in the UK understand that we love the rest of the world and do not mean to
make insensitive mistakes of language , also to Ramy, I am glad that you did answer the comment and I am sure that you would change the name immediately if you could.

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
bassanimation wrote:Wow. This post is full of many more offensive things than the design..ESPECIALLY if you can see the words that have been filtered, which I can thanks to the quote in the reply field. Talk about blatantly offensive language...

Generally the word 'spastic' is used to describe someone 'hyper' or 'overly sensitive', at least in the US. I've been called a 'spaz' several times in my life, hahah. I've never taken too much offense at it. There are far worse things to be called (which you've done a good job of listing above). In the case of this design, it's just a reference to the effect of too much coffee. As a big coffee fan, and a person prone to drinking too much of the stuff, I can attest that it does make one "spazzy"...

I've seen people work pretty hard to complain about Ramy, but this is a new standard. I'm quite sure he wouldn't knowingly make fun of disabled people.

Woot will probably delete all these posts when they see what you actually typed in your rant. Yikes. Totally uncalled for behavior over a tshirt featuring a squirrel drinking coffe.. 9_9


Please consider that people do not "work hard" to complain about offensive language. There aren't PC police who troll the internet to call unoffensive things offensive.

People complain because they're upset and hurt over the use of a derogatory term. Whether or not ramy meant and offense (I'm sure he didn't) does not make it unoffensive and appropriate.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
nyren wrote:...
I know Woot is a US company, but they've been shipping stuff overseas for years now (list of countries). Ethnocentricity isn't an excuse for something that blatantly offensive.



I'm not a Ramy fan, but this is just silly. The only reason I know it's offensive is because of this thread, I'd wager that 99% of all Americans have no idea that people in land thousands of miles are highly insulted by the term. I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.





BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
odysseyroc wrote:I'm not a Ramy fan, but this is just silly. The only reason I know it's offensive is because of this thread, I'd wager that 99% of all Americans have no idea that people in land thousands of miles are highly insulted by the term. I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.


I know that I, for one, had no idea that "spastic" was offensive to the Brits. But then again, I'm the first to admit that I'm an ignorant grapefruit.


SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
odysseyroc wrote:I'm not a Ramy fan, but this is just silly. The only reason I know it's offensive is because of this thread, I'd wager that 99% of all Americans have no idea that people in land thousands of miles are highly insulted by the term. I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.


Oh my gosh, I can't help it this is funny, thanks for making me laugh today and I mean no disrespect to anyone, it's just that, well see? We ALL make mistakes!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
nyren wrote:Ethnocentricity isn't an excuse for something that blatantly offensive.

So... f@g is ok? Woot also printed a shirt with an actual vulgar word in Hungarian, even after it was pointed out to them that it was a more vulgar term than the definition people found on the internet which was only partially correct... they still printed the shirt and did not stop. What's my point? Spaz in the US is used differently than in the UK, just like f@g is used differently. This is a US company with a primarily US market and audience. Deal with it.

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
mikenytola wrote:So... f@g is ok? Woot also printed a shirt with an actual vulgar word in Hungarian, even after it was pointed out to them that it was a more vulgar term than the definition people found on the internet which was only partially correct... they still printed the shirt and did not stop. What's my point? Spaz in the US is used differently than in the UK, just like f@g is used differently. This is a US company with a primarily US market and audience. Deal with it.


Well said! I'm sure Woot has printed plenty of shirts that would be considered offensive to somebody somewhere in the world.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Johndis5 wrote:Well said! I'm sure Woot has printed plenty of shirts that would be considered offensive to somebody somewhere in the world.


Wait, when you registered with woot, they didn't send you the master list of offensive words around the world?





Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
odysseyroc wrote:Wait, when you registered with woot, they didn't send you the master list of offensive words around the world?


They probably did, but it was likely lost among all of the poppycock that ends up in my inbox.

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Johndis5 wrote:They probably did, but it was likely lost among all of the poppycock that ends up in my inbox.


...and the horsefeathers!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
BootsBoots wrote:I know that I, for one, had no idea that "spastic" was offensive to the Brits. But then again, I'm the first to admit that I'm an ignorant grapefruit.


Haha grapefruit!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

queboy89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89
odysseyroc wrote:I'm not a Ramy fan, but this is just silly. The only reason I know it's offensive is because of this thread, I'd wager that 99% of all Americans have no idea that people in land thousands of miles are highly insulted by the term. I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.


By virtue of history, the word used in that BBC article is in the correct usage. It's old meaning was either:

A. a pile or bundle of sticks,

or

B. a type of British meatball.

You have to remember that terms in the US are nearly all derived from British English. Therefore, people can get offended in the US, but the blame is on ourselves for using the word in such context. I personally detract from using such words, but I'm not the majority. The earliest use of the word as it means in the US was in 1914, by two American authors in a book about prison slang.

BBC does not have to apologize. Maybe we should apologize for linking a delicious dish to a specific population of people...

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
odysseyroc wrote: I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.


LMAO! I particularly like " Mr Brain's Faggots." How wonderfully strange.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
SnowQueenVT wrote:Haha grapefruit!


Yes! "Grapefruit" is almost as appropriate as what I actually typed. ;)


albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Johndis5 wrote:Well said! I'm sure Woot has printed plenty of shirts that would be considered offensive to somebody somewhere in the world.


The problem is it's also an offensive term in the US. Though not widely known as such like other derogatory terms, it doesn't make it any less inappropriate. I don't think the majority of us privileged enough to not have spasticity have the right to determine the word's offensiveness.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/12/04/ableist-word-profile-spazspak/

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/the-transcontinental-disability-choir-what-is-ableist-language-and-why-should-you-care

elleronn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages elleronn

The word of today is "relevance". k thx. That's "OK" and "thanks" for the grammar police.

And what's the big deal about the title? This is the US and a US based site, not the UK. Besides, don't you call a cigarette a f@g? What's more offensive... hmm. It's called cultural differences. Stick to the design flaws, not stupid things like the title.[/quote]

A tip of the hat to you. Well stated.

fixbane


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fixbane
Re: Spastic Squirrel


eh i'm cool with ramyb's shirts, but this discussion in terms of ramyb's stuff (from the rejected design's board) kind of pisses me off. When people complain about them all looking anime-style-y characters, the shirts win. when ramyb does some different, more artsy looking stuff (that i would like to buy), they don't win. and no one mentions them when arguing like this. but whatever.

nyren


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyren
albinoapple wrote:The problem is it's also an offensive term in the US. Though not widely known as such like other derogatory terms, it doesn't make it any less inappropriate. I don't think the majority of us privileged enough to not have spasticity have the right to determine the word's offensiveness.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/12/04/ableist-word-profile-spazspak/

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/the-transcontinental-disability-choir-what-is-ableist-language-and-why-should-you-care


This.

dmaz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
Re: Spastic Squirrel


Wow I hope this prints!!! Will definitely buy one for me and my sister. We're coffee fiends!

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
queboy89 wrote:By virtue of history, the word used in that BBC article is in the correct usage. It's old meaning was either:

A. a pile or bundle of sticks,

or

B. a type of British meatball.

You have to remember that terms in the US are nearly all derived from British English. Therefore, people can get offended in the US, but the blame is on ourselves for using the word in such context. I personally detract from using such words, but I'm not the majority. The earliest use of the word as it means in the US was in 1914, by two American authors in a book about prison slang.

BBC does not have to apologize. Maybe we should apologize for linking a delicious dish to a specific population of people...


spas·tic

–adjective
1.pertaining to, of the nature of, or characterized by spasm, esp. tonic spasm.

–noun
2.a person exhibiting such spasms.



I think the same could be said of most offensive words. Most of them just start out as regular everyday words till somebody adopts it as their own hateful word. The same thing happens with symbols. Spastic was just sitting there for years before somebody decided to use it in an offensive way. It's unfortunate that Ramy used a term that is offensive to the UK members here, but I don't see why we can't just chalk it up as a cultural difference and move on. If it prints woot can simply change the name to "squirrel drinking coffee" and it wouldn't matter.



If this design was by anybody else the title would have been a footnote. "Btw, did you know that word is offensive in the UK". Since this is a Ramy design, everybody is feigning disgust or whatever. The discussions on Ramy's designs are always a trainwreck, there are some good constructive crits, people reaching to bash, people rushing to his defense and some fawning all over him.





Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
albinoapple wrote:The problem is it's also an offensive term in the US. Though not widely known as such like other derogatory terms, it doesn't make it any less inappropriate. I don't think the majority of us privileged enough to not have spasticity have the right to determine the word's offensiveness.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/12/04/ableist-word-profile-spazspak/

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/the-transcontinental-disability-choir-what-is-ableist-language-and-why-should-you-care


I agree, sort of. When you are running a site like this though, you have to draw the line using your own judgment and experience. You always run the risk of offending a potential customer or passer by.

I don't think any harm was meant by Ramy by the title of this shirt. I don't think it should be rejected on the merits of it's title. If it prints, they might change title, or not. This should not be causing this much upset.

kimvy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimvy
odysseyroc wrote:I'm not a Ramy fan, but this is just silly. The only reason I know it's offensive is because of this thread, I'd wager that 99% of all Americans have no idea that people in land thousands of miles are highly insulted by the term. I'm personally waiting for BBC to issue an apology for This offensive article.


Oh, that article could be the launch off for a number of bad jokes.

Isn't that also what the Brits call cigarettes, too?

I'm in Canada and "spaz" or "spastic" isn't a bad word. It's not a particularly nice one, but not like in the UK and we're a colony.

queboy89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89
odysseyroc wrote:spas·tic...


I was talking about the BBC article. You really didn't know that's what I was talking about? I don't mean anything, sorry if it was confusing.

And yes, I understand the point behind the term "spastic". Which is why I can refer to my comment earlier. I was saying that American English derives many words from old english. The same goes true that we can also downplay words that was quite rude.

In no way was I trying to justify Ramyb's title.

As for his art, I'm not exactly a fan. I won't say that he's breaking any rules, but his art just isn't appealing to me. Not to mention I'm quite suspicious of his and seki's "ethics" when it comes to things I've heard, researched, and dug up about them.

Somehow, I'm not the only one either. Check out the recent reckoning recon.

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
BootsBoots wrote:I know that I, for one, had no idea that "spastic" was offensive to the Brits. But then again, I'm the first to admit that I'm an ignorant grapefruit.


Them changing that to grapefruit is awesome. I am greatly amused by this.


odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
queboy89 wrote:I was talking about the BBC article. You really didn't know that's what I was talking about? I don't mean anything, sorry if it was confusing.

And yes, I understand the point behind the term "spastic". Which is why I can refer to my comment earlier. I was saying that American English derives many words from old english. The same goes true that we can also downplay words that was quite rude.

In no way was I trying to justify Ramyb's title.



No, I understand that's what you were talking about. My point was just that spastic as an adjective isn't really offensive to an American, same thing with those meatballs. Some things are going to be taboo in one culture and acceptable in others, whether they share a language or not. Like somebody said higher up in the thread, we're separated by a common language.

As for his art, I'm not exactly a fan. I won't say that he's breaking any rules, but his art just isn't appealing to me. Not to mention I'm quite suspicious of his and seki's "ethics" when it comes to things I've heard, researched, and dug up about them.

Somehow, I'm not the only one either. Check out the recent reckoning recon.


That's fine as far as I'm concerned. I'd respect people more if they just came out and said exactly what you just said, instead of trying to find reasons why each and every one of his entries should be rejected, whether warranted or not. I'm not defending his art, accusations of lifting concepts, or any questionable antics on other sites, conventions, etc. I'm just saying, if people dislike his art then say it directly (which some people do), instead of saying something like "Oh, he drew a dog sipping soup, that's the same as this shirt with a bird eating a steak".

I'm fine with most of Adder's comments on this site (even if I don't agree with a lot of it), because he doesn't beat around the bush and I always get the impression that he believes every word of what he's saying.





Junka


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Junka
odysseyroc wrote:
If this design was by anybody else the title would have been a footnote. "Btw, did you know that word is offensive in the UK". Since this is a Ramy design, everybody is feigning disgust or whatever. The discussions on Ramy's designs are always a trainwreck, there are some good constructive crits, people reaching to bash, people rushing to his defense and some fawning all over him.


Truth. It seems that people pick and choose when to be offended (and it sure seems like it often comes down to who the designer is).

A)The number one selling shirt currently in the reckoning equates Africa to being a disease. Sure it's meant to be ironic but basically it has the potential to be offensive to an entire continent. It's a racist joke, even if unintended. Woot should have stepped in on that, rather than start to sell racist t-shirts. Unintended or not, everyone who sees it doesn't know the intention or the backstory. And now it's the number 1 selling shirt -- scary!

B)Another ironic type shirt on the reckoning is making a joke about nuclear bombs. Nuclear bombs are not a joke to anyone who has had it as a real threat, or to a country that still has people suffering from the after affects of such a terrible weapon. And it's expressing apathy about such a weapon. It is meant to be ironic and funny, but really being apathetic of destruction and death unless directly affecting us is indicative of the general heartlessness of people. And it has been on the chart for 19 weeks! Again, very scary.

These shirts printed relatively drama-free. Had the message of either of these shirts been by this artist or another controversial artist, it seems unlikely there would not have been a huge fuss -- as there should have been no matter who the artist with those messages, imvho.

C)Last but not least in the what-and-when-people-find-things-offensive category -- last week was an entire derby based around "madness". This allowed people to design shirts around real, misunderstood illnesses in a joking, and often ignorant way.
Extremely poor taste and offensive to anyone with a mental illness or touched by one.

Really, that derby was the equivalent of having a "cancer" derby or a "handicapped" derby or a "mental retardation derby" if you think about it. But those specific issues seem to have more attention, consideration and sensitivity now and people are more aware of them than they are of mental illness.

In conclusion-- this post isn't protecting or defending anyone, just pointing out people are selective when deciding when something is offensive or not -- or at least when they are being vocal about it.

praxis16


quality posts: 1 Private Messages praxis16

I'm not really sure why the use of the word "spastic" is causing any problems in this shirt's context. I mean, does it look like one of the squirrels has cerebral palsy or any related disability?

If not, then there is really no reason to be offended.

queboy89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89
Junka wrote:Truth.


I hope I'm not the only one to notice that both the shirts you mentioned are drawn by the only artist. I'm not choosing to defend anyone, but I just wanted to point out that the artist explained her idea behind the shirt.

I completely understand what you're saying, just curious about the coincidence. For the two shirts mentioned though, they happen to be art that I like. Art doesn't always work well as shirts though, as "The Apathy Coalition" was for me.

This is Ramyb's shirt though, and I guess I've made my message clear to Ramyb. Enough about everything else.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
praxis16 wrote:I'm not really sure why the use of the word "spastic" is causing any problems in this shirt's context. I mean, does it look like one of the squirrels has cerebral palsy or any related disability?

If not, then there is really no reason to be offended.

Here here! I say if no squirrel is offended then let us go forth!

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
Junka wrote:Truth. It seems that people pick and choose when to be offended (and it sure seems like it often comes down to who the designer is).

A)The number one selling shirt currently in the reckoning equates Africa to being a disease. Sure it's meant to be ironic but basically it has the potential to be offensive to an entire continent. It's a racist joke, even if unintended. Woot should have stepped in on that, rather than start to sell racist t-shirts. Unintended or not, everyone who sees it doesn't know the intention or the backstory. And now it's the number 1 selling shirt -- scary!

B)Another ironic type shirt on the reckoning is making a joke about nuclear bombs. Nuclear bombs are not a joke to anyone who has had it as a real threat, or to a country that still has people suffering from the after affects of such a terrible weapon. And it's expressing apathy about such a weapon. It is meant to be ironic and funny, but really being apathetic of destruction and death unless directly affecting us is indicative of the general heartlessness of people. And it has been on the chart for 19 weeks! Again, very scary.

These shirts printed relatively drama-free. Had the message of either of these shirts been by this artist or another controversial artist, it seems unlikely there would not have been a huge fuss -- as there should have been no matter who the artist with those messages, imvho.

C)Last but not least in the what-and-when-people-find-things-offensive category -- last week was an entire derby based around "madness". This allowed people to design shirts around real, misunderstood illnesses in a joking, and often ignorant way.
Extremely poor taste and offensive to anyone with a mental illness or touched by one.

Really, that derby was the equivalent of having a "cancer" derby or a "handicapped" derby or a "mental retardation derby" if you think about it. But those specific issues seem to have more attention, consideration and sensitivity now and people are more aware of them than they are of mental illness.

In conclusion-- this post isn't protecting or defending anyone, just pointing out people are selective when deciding when something is offensive or not -- or at least when they are being vocal about it.


Omelets made great you are an spoon for thinking the race shirt is racest... how can you even think that?? race for a cure! back in the 80's there were tuns of charity's for both kids and africa mostly kids in africa. illnesses and hunger. and as for the atom bom shirt... you must be way to sensitive or you just dont get it. the reason so many people are complaining about the name of this shirt is because where they come from its like saying one of the 7 words you cant say on TV in america... um is it 7?? its been a while since i listened to Jorge. any ways you are just way off base here sorry.

as for this shirt??? i have no clue as to how it got back into the fog... it was bad before and its even worse now.... has anyone mentioned the right ones shadow was not changed at all even though the tail got a lil longer??? sloppy if you ask me. no attention to detail at all B^(

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Junka wrote:Truth. It seems that people pick and choose when to be offended (and it sure seems like it often comes down to who the designer is).

A)The number one selling shirt currently in the reckoning equates Africa to being a disease. Sure it's meant to be ironic but basically it has the potential to be offensive to an entire continent. It's a racist joke, even if unintended. Woot should have stepped in on that, rather than start to sell racist t-shirts. Unintended or not, everyone who sees it doesn't know the intention or the backstory. And now it's the number 1 selling shirt -- scary!

B)Another ironic type shirt on the reckoning is making a joke about nuclear bombs. Nuclear bombs are not a joke to anyone who has had it as a real threat, or to a country that still has people suffering from the after affects of such a terrible weapon. And it's expressing apathy about such a weapon. It is meant to be ironic and funny, but really being apathetic of destruction and death unless directly affecting us is indicative of the general heartlessness of people. And it has been on the chart for 19 weeks! Again, very scary.

These shirts printed relatively drama-free. Had the message of either of these shirts been by this artist or another controversial artist, it seems unlikely there would not have been a huge fuss -- as there should have been no matter who the artist with those messages, imvho.

C)Last but not least in the what-and-when-people-find-things-offensive category -- last week was an entire derby based around "madness". This allowed people to design shirts around real, misunderstood illnesses in a joking, and often ignorant way.
Extremely poor taste and offensive to anyone with a mental illness or touched by one.

Really, that derby was the equivalent of having a "cancer" derby or a "handicapped" derby or a "mental retardation derby" if you think about it. But those specific issues seem to have more attention, consideration and sensitivity now and people are more aware of them than they are of mental illness.

In conclusion-- this post isn't protecting or defending anyone, just pointing out people are selective when deciding when something is offensive or not -- or at least when they are being vocal about it.


THAT is a complete load. "Think of the Children" is not racist joke and it's not about killing babies. It's just lampooning all the "Save the Children" and "Cure for Cancer" or "Feed Africa" charities and whatnot. Dark humor? Absolutely, nothing wrong with that though, it's satire. To imply that it's racist is ridiculous.

Likewise, getting upset about a shirt with a mushroom cloud and a derby about madness is WAY TOO touchy.

I can understand why Brits might get mad about a pretty offensive word showing up on a tee shirt in the US, but they have to understand the culture difference and get over it.

It's not on the same level as you making up reasons to be offended about pretty much anything.

Hey I can play that game!

"The Binge" offends me because alcoholism is a very serious illness and equating it with drinking milk cheapens the very real suffering alcoholics endure.

"Hospitality" offends me because video game violence of the sort Mortal Kombat pioneered is responsible for countless school shootings and the desensitizing of children to graphic violence.

"Some Motivation Required" is offensive to me because I am morbidly fat IRL and am unable to exercise because of my condition. If I were being chased by a T-Rex I wouldn't be getting any exercise I'd be getting killed, it's not funny!

"The Epic Begins" is horribly offensive because it's not only ignoring the horrible pain and death that toxic waste causes to millions of people around the world but ALSO depicts the death of poor innocent animals as well.

"It Came Out of Nowhere" makes fun of car accidents which is a very real problem on America's highways! My best friend died in a car wreck when I was 10, WHO WOULD WEAR A SHIRT MAKING FUN OF MY DEAD FRIEND WHO DIED IN A CAR WRECK?!?!?

Ahem.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Junka wrote:Truth. It seems that people pick and choose when to be offended (and it sure seems like it often comes down to who the designer is).


This assertion is, well, ridiculous to me. To imply that anyone picks when they feel bad is just false. I don't think the majority of us privileged enough to not have spasticity have the right to determine the word's offensiveness.

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/12/04/ableist-word-profile-spazspak/

http://bitchmagazine.org/post/the-transcontinental-disability-choir-what-is-ableist-language-and-why-should-you-care

I don't really get why it's a big deal to change the title. It takes seconds to do something like that. If a few seconds is all you need to keep from offending others, why wouldn't you?

queboy89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages queboy89
bluetuba wrote:"The Binge" offends me because alcoholism is a very serious illness and equating it with drinking milk cheapens the very real suffering alcoholics endure.

Ahem.


Uhm. "The Binge" is about binging??? on cookies.

But jerk comment aside, your point is quite valid.

Junka


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Junka
bluetuba wrote:
Ahem.

Right, they won't be offensive to everyone, but those mentioned, surely to some. There weren't any made up reasons there, they were all true imvho. Maybe not to you, but if you weren't getting worked up about the word spastic, the original post doesn't really apply to you anyway.

But your examples further expounded the point, which was agreeing with a previous post made by someone else - this extreme reaction about the offensiveness of the word 'spastic' is mostly because of the artist who made it, whereas other potentially offensive shirts/titles/messages by other artists would 'get a mild footnote'(well put!). As the exampled shirts and derby theme did receive - a few people doubting, but not the outrage as seen in this thread. Plus this is just the title, which woot often changes, not even the actual message of the shirt -- so why the drama over this? Because it's by an artist that people tend to get up in arms about.

The point of the post was just that - to agree with the quoted post, and to add the observation that people are selective about their outrage (at least out loud) to things that are potentially offensive.
That's all folks, nothing more to read into.

abraschler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages abraschler

This knocked Sunsplash out of the fog? We have lost my faith in humanity.

eye4spot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eye4spot
bluetuba wrote:THAT is a complete load. "Think of the Children" is not racist joke and it's not about killing babies. It's just lampooning all the "Save the Children" and "Cure for Cancer" or "Feed Africa" charities and whatnot. Dark humor? Absolutely, nothing wrong with that though, it's satire. two imply that it's racist is ridiculous.

Likewise, getting upset about a shirt with a mushroom cloud and a derby about madness is WAY tew touchy.

We can understand why Brits might get mad about a pretty offensive word showing up on a tee shirt in the US, but they have two understand the culture difference and get over it.

It's not on the same level as you making up reasons two be offended about pretty much anything.

Hey We can play that game!

"The Binge" offends me because alcoholism is a very serious illness and equating it with drinking milk cheapens the very real suffering alcoholics endure.

"Hospitality" offends me because video game violence of the sort Mortal Kombat pioneered is responsible for countless school shootings and the desensitizing of children two graphic violence.

"Some Motivation Required" is offensive two me because We am morbidly fat IRL and am unable two exercise because of my condition. If We were being chased by a T-Rex We wouldn't be getting any exercise We'd be getting killed, it's not funny!

"The Epic Begins" is horribly offensive because it's not only ignoring the horrible pain and death that toxic waste causes two millions of people around the world but ALSO depicts the death of poor innocent animals as well.

"It Came Out of Nowhere" makes fun of car accidents which is a very real problem on America's highways! My best friend died in a car wreck when We was 10, WHO WOULD WEAR A SHIRT MAKING FUN OF MY DEAD FRIEND WHO DIED IN A CAR WRECK?!?!?

Ahem.




LOL your post is hilarious, and it also points out the absurdity of the "politically correct divas" who get there way much two often (usually just two get them two shut up).

It is just a $10-$15 tee shirt design. Like life itself, a design arrives and is then reckoned away....some hang around longer than others. No one is forced two vote for or purchase any of the designs that print.

Some of you people need two get some perspective.

MaliceKaiser


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaliceKaiser
Junka wrote:Right, they won't be offensive two everyone, but those mentioned, surely two some. There weren't any made up reasons there, they were all true imvho. Maybe not two you, but if you weren't getting worked up about the word spastic, the original post doesn't really apply two you anyway.

But your examples further expounded the point, which was agreeing with a previous post made by someone else - this extreme reaction about the offensiveness of the word 'spastic' is mostly because of the artist who made it, whereas other potentially offensive shirts/titles/messages by other artists would 'get a mild footnote'(well put!). As the exampled shirts and derby theme did receive - a few people doubting, but not the outrage as seen in this thread. Plus this is just the title, which woot often changes, not even the actual message of the shirt -- so why the drama over this? Because it's by an artist that people tend two get up in arms about.

The point of the post was just that - two agree with the quoted post, and two add the observation that people are selective about there outrage (at least out loud) two things that are potentially offensive.
That's all folks, nothing more two read into.

There is a difference between pointing out a shirt with a word that is offensive in one culture, period, end of story... and grasping at straws trying two figure out why some other shirts might be offensive two someone somewhere but no one in particular.

And really, you're just completely misunderstanding the meaning of the shirts you cited.

votingaccount13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages votingaccount13
Re: Spastic Squirrel


We'm glad this was resubmitted and not rejected! Voting with all accounts!

MikeHoncho


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikeHoncho
votingaccount13 wrote:We'm glad this was resubmitted and not rejected! Voting with all accounts!


Mike Honcho agrees with this sentiment. MikeHoncho through MikeHoncho08 will commence voting.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
eye4spot wrote:LOL your post is hilarious, and it also points out the absurdity of the "politically correct divas" who get there way much two often (usually just two get them two shut up).

It is just a $10-$15 tee shirt design. Like life itself, a design arrives and is then reckoned away....some hang around longer than others. No one is forced two vote for or purchase any of the designs that print.

Some of you people need two get some perspective.

Amen. Politically correct diva's are just one example of the pussification of the human race. Toughen up a little folks.

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
votingaccount13 wrote:We'm glad this was resubmitted and not rejected! Voting with all accounts!


We hope you don't have 13 personal accounts thats not fair, We hope there is a real person for each of those accounts.

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
MikeHoncho wrote:Mike Honcho agrees with this sentiment. MikeHoncho through MikeHoncho08 will commence voting.


We hope you don't have 8 personal accounts thats not fair, We hope there is a real person for each of the accounts.(Which IS fair.)

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

misspink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages misspink
votingaccount13 wrote:We'm glad this was resubmitted and not rejected! Voting with all accounts!


We love it! Voting with accounts misspink through misspurple

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
misspink wrote:We love it! Voting with accounts misspink through misspurple


What are you guys doing?! Are you a big family? Is this an entire town that votes? Would someone please explain?( It makes the artist look bad ot have wierd posts like this, please explain...)

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

praxis16


quality posts: 1 Private Messages praxis16
misspink wrote:We love it! Voting with accounts misspink through misspurple


Praxis4 - Praxis16 voted for it! Har Har Har

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
praxis16 wrote:Praxis4 - Praxis16 voted for it! Har Har Har


All right, We think you are an entire town that votes and everyone wears these shirts ot the big barbeque or ot some sort of rally and that is fine, real customers are real customers, you sound like a fun town, have fun this summer at all your events and good luck ot you all.

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

tico0001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
praxis16 wrote:Praxis4 - Praxis16 voted for it! Har Har Har


Tico0001 through Tico1111 voted for it Mua ha ha ha... uhm? Wha?

What is this nonsense? _I hope it's an _April fool's thing...

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
tico0001 wrote:Tico0001 through Tico1111 voted for it Mua ha ha ha... uhm? Wha?

What is this nonsense? _I hope it's an _April fool's thing...


...Oh if thats the case then Snowqueenvt thru snowkingcalifornia voted too! We don't think We like this holiday anymore....and We am not looking anymore!!!!!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

dbomb801


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbomb801
Re: Spastic Squirrel


We've never posted here, probably wont again.. You are all arguing over a term used on a T-SHIRT website.. go ot disney.com or dont buy the shirt if youre offended...

TattooGigolo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TattooGigolo
NameyMcName wrote:I think it is more that people don't realize it, the same way they don't know what cretin comes from.


I went to a high school called Cretin. It was named after someone... an archbishop I think.

dmkooo


quality posts: 10 Private Messages dmkooo
bluetuba wrote:As much as I DESPISE Ramyb for various reasons related to tee shirts and message boards I don't think it's fair to go after him for the spastic thing. In most of the world it's not offensive. I had no clue it was such a big deal in the UK and I'll wager most people in the US don't either.

Spaz in the US is a very minor insult, in fact it doesn't even have to be insulting, it can mean something as harmless as jumpy or excited.

From what I understand "the C word" is in pretty common usage in Europe but in the US it's quite taboo.

Not his fault IMO


Depends upon your personal world, I suppose. To you, they are minor insults. To those of us in the "disability world", they can sometimes be quite sharp (esp if spoken by someone of "typical" abilities).

dmkooo


quality posts: 10 Private Messages dmkooo
SnowQueenVT wrote:What on earth is balderdee? Did I just say something filthy?


Must be r e tar ded...which is highly offensive because it used to be a diagnostic term that has become a commonly used insult. Congrats to Pennsylvania, which just changed their nomenclature from the "Office of Mental R e t ar dation" to "Office of Developmental Disabilites". Welcome to the 20th Century!

It's not just about the disdained "PC" of it all. It's about our changing language and what is appropriate and what is not.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail