Derby #149: Psychedelia
+1042

Fractal Tree

Fractal Tree
add a comment

Comments

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Fractal Tree


Always so cool, patrick! Very nice choice of colors on brown. :^)

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Fractal Tree



Just my opinion, but I find this painfully bland & uninteresting.

Therefore, congratulations on your impending print, I suppose. -_-

lakario


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lakario
endangeredomega wrote:Just my opinion, but I find this painfully bland & uninteresting.

Therefore, congratulations on your impending print, I suppose. -_-


Ouch. I think it's pretty cool but maybe the vector edges on the tree could use some blending and blurring.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
endangeredomega wrote:Just my opinion, but I find this painfully bland & uninteresting.

Therefore, congratulations on your impending print, I suppose. -_-


It's also not remotely on theme. Print ahoy!

JRWorkshop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRWorkshop

Cool Gradient


GreatClips


quality posts: 3 Private Messages GreatClips
Re: Fractal Tree


This reminds me of a program I had to write for computer science class in highschool in which I made a "pythagoras tree". Nice colors, good work!

Vote at Goodjoe

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Fractal Tree


I really think this is appealing and it looks great on the brown tee.

As for theme, I don't see this as any more off/on theme as some of the other entries. There are a few elements that are a bit modern, but other entries have some modern elements/styles as well. I definitely see the 60's era coming through in the coloring and the fractal-esque branches of the tree. I dont know about a lot of you, but I dont want to wear my mom's old hippie tees. I'd like to see a modern/retro blend, which I think the artists are doing very well

I like this, nice job Patrick. :D

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Re: Fractal Tree


Yeah I don't see much psychedelia going on here... Lots of hard edges, the browns and blacks are so muted...

Gnawlej


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gnawlej
Re: Fractal Tree


Your tree looks like a neuron ... which given the derby is kinda cool. Run with it.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
bassanimation wrote:
As for theme, I don't see this as any more off/on theme as some of the other entries.


"But everyone else is doing it!" Excellent argument.

This takes two very hackneyed images (tree and music waves) and forces them into a shirt to enter into a derby it doesn't belong in. And it's conceptually terrible. And it's going to print.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bassanimation wrote:
As for theme, I don't see this as any more off/on theme as some of the other entries.


You're right. But it's more off theme than some entries too. Namely, it's more off theme than the entries which are on theme, yet no more off/on theme than the other entries which should be rejected for being offtheme.

earausch


quality posts: 0 Private Messages earausch
Re: Fractal Tree


I like it. The roots make it psychedelic to me, while the fractal branches make it a modern twist on psychedelic art - who says that 2010 psychedelic art has to look exactly identical to 1969 psychedelic art???

Could've probably done without the paint drips and the honeycombing, though.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
kylemittskus wrote:"But everyone else is doing it!" Excellent argument.


Just calling you out on your double standards. :\ But if you chose to turn it back around on me that's fine too.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
AdderXYU wrote:You're right. But it's more off theme than some entries too. Namely, it's more off theme than the entries which are on theme, yet no more off/on theme than the other entries which should be rejected for being offtheme.


I seriously don't see how this is off theme. Because it's a tree? Because of the hexes?

"Give us your take on the swirling patterns, kaleidoscopic colors, and fractal designs of psychedelic art."

The fractal shapes of the branches seem very, well..fractal. :\ The color choices are also nice. It may not be as groovy as some would like, but it definitely has a retro flair. If you don't like it, that's fine. But saying this is off theme is really a miss. If I'm wrong, Woot will reject it.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bassanimation wrote:I seriously don't see how this is off theme. Because it's a tree? Because of the hexes?

"Give us your take on the swirling patterns, kaleidoscopic colors, and fractal designs of psychedelic art."

The fractal shapes of the branches seem very, well..fractal. :\ The color choices are also nice. It may not be as groovy as some would like, but it definitely has a retro flair. If you don't like it, that's fine. But saying this is off theme is really a miss. If I'm wrong, Woot will reject it.


Swirling patterns: not really. Swirls, slightly, but no patterning.

Kaleidoscopic colors: again, not really happening. It's a tree with a weak gradient. when I think kaleidoscope, I think bold contrasts in colors, and bold colors in general. These colors are not remotely bold. It's just a simulated gradient. ho-hum.

fractal designs: when I think of fractals, again, I think of way more patterning, way more color, way more trippyness. If this is at all "fractal," it is the tamest fractal possible.

The fact is that this looks like it could have come out of a gomedia packet. It's dull and generic and not anything psychedelic. And the further fact is, woot has not rejected things that are off theme all the time, especially in stylederbies. You're fully wrong in thinking this is on theme, and it really doesn't matter what woot says about it.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
bassanimation wrote:Just calling you out on your double standards. :\ But if you chose to turn it back around on me that's fine too.


Double standards? If another shirt that is this off-theme and standard makes it in the fog, I'll be sure to say the exact same thing. And you were also justifying this entry, not just pointing out my double standards (if you even really intended the latter or it just made good cover).

Edit: in fact, I did it earlier on the "Hallucinations" shirt.

So, back to your terrible argument that it's ok if everyone else does it too? That's cyclical justification for everyone since everyone else did it.

[MOD: Oh HI you two! Can we get back to discussing the shirt? THANKS!]

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 619 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

AdderXYU wrote:Swirling patterns: not really. Swirls, slightly, but no patterning.

Kaleidoscopic colors: again, not really happening. It's a tree with a weak gradient. when I think kaleidoscope, I think bold contrasts in colors, and bold colors in general. These colors are not remotely bold. It's just a simulated gradient. ho-hum.

fractal designs: when I think of fractals, again, I think of way more patterning, way more color, way more trippyness. If this is at all "fractal," it is the tamest fractal possible.

The fact is that this looks like it could have come out of a gomedia packet. It's dull and generic and not anything psychedelic. And the further fact is, woot has not rejected things that are off theme all the time, especially in stylederbies. You're fully wrong in thinking this is on theme, and it really doesn't matter what woot says about it.

Just because you see fractals as "way more patterning, way more color, way more trippyness," doesn't mean everyone else the world does. I agree that it's completely on topic as the derby description clearly mentions fractals. It doesn't say fractals as defined by Adder. I see the fractals growing out of the edges of the limbs. Kind of a stylized version of this fractal, in fact.

To tell someone that they are fully wrong in their opinion is pretty arrogant.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ThunderThighs wrote:Just because you see fractals as "I think of way more patterning, way more color, way more trippyness," doesn't mean everyone else the world does. I agree that it's completely on topic as the derby description clearly mentions fractals. It doesn't say fractals as defined by Adder. I see the fractals growing out of the edges of the limbs.

To tell someone that they are completely wrong in their opinion is pretty arrogant.


Fractals are not in and of themselves psychedelic. They are a part of it. This is still off theme. And opinions are only as good as the evidence to back them up. The image you linked is not at all similar to this entry, because, well, obvious fractals are involved in the image you linked and not in the entry. It's pretty staggering how unsimilar the two images are. Ergo, this entry is still not remotely psychedelic.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
kylemittskus wrote:If another shirt that is this off-theme and standard makes it in the fog.....


You do not have to like it..but it appears the staff does in fact think it is on theme.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 619 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bassanimation wrote:You do not have to like it..but it appears the staff does in fact think it is on theme.

Oh, I don't count. I'm just a mod. Heh. I'm just here so Gatzby will have someone to fire regularly.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bassanimation wrote:You do not have to like it..but it appears the staff does in fact think it is on theme.


This is less fractal than broccoli. Which, ironically, is also more psychedelic.

There's really not much in the way of the repeating patterns and fine structures that define fractals, nor in the way of the palettes, patterns, and mind-expansion which defines psychedelia. You may have staff backing, but it's not really meaningful because none of this is recursive, which is the nature of the fractal, and again, fractalness is not in and of itself psychedelic. Y'all love to harp on one smidge of the theme and make it seem like it's the be all and end all, but the theme is not "vaguely fractal." It's "psychedelia." And this does not fit.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
bassanimation wrote:You do not have to like it..but it appears the staff does in fact think it is on theme.


Now you're abandoning your first two arguments and moving behind someone else?

And no. A member of the staff thinks it's on theme. Last I checked, one person is not equivalent to a ubiquitous opinion of a group of people. But even if the staff did think this is on topic -- or more accurately, they don't care if it's off -- we don't need to agree with them. They surely don't always agree with us. This is both the beauty and the curse of shirt.woot. We, as voters, have the power to do our own pseudo-rejection by not voting. However, time and time again, voters (apparently including some artists) don't care if something is not on theme because "it's so pretty."

Adder has explained why he thinks this is of theme. I will add that it is absolutely generic -- how many times have we seen trees and those stupid sound effect things? So instead of making ad hominem arguments about how I have double standards (proven false), defend the shirt. How is it on theme? The picture ThunderThighs posted did nothing whatsoever to defend it in my mind as it was completely and absolutely different.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
kylemittskus wrote:Now you're abandoning your first two arguments and moving behind someone else?


Nope. I'm simply abandoning an unwinable argument with people who have no intention of hearing anything I have to say with any grain of respect . It wouldn't matter what I say or how I say it, because if I don't agree with you 110%, it won't be good enough.

Also Thunder has asked us to knock it off. I'll happily oblige, as I respect the staff enough to cool it...

/

Also +1 vote.

vrubinst


quality posts: 3 Private Messages vrubinst

I thought the thumbnail looked cool (although admittedly cliched) but viewing it larger was disappointing... the angles at which the branches are arranged were a little too disconcerting. Love the colors, though.

canaryk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages canaryk
Re: Fractal Tree


You know what, this may not be as on-theme as some of the other tees, but it's also way more wearable. I think Patrick did a really good job of striking a balance between adhering to the theme and making something that's not hideous. So yeah, nice job.

Azurett


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Azurett
Re: Fractal Tree


Nice, the colors really pop on this shirt.

omninull


quality posts: 0 Private Messages omninull

Interesting, but not psychedelic at all.

lickspittlebar24


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lickspittlebar24
Re: Fractal Tree


I dig it.
+1 (and i definitely think it's psychedelic)

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: Fractal Tree

I think this would be more thematic if there was more emphasis on the fractal tree branches. As it is, they are very subtle and almost lost with the collage of other elements like the splatter, heartbeat line, and the hexagons, which are to me, not extremely psychedelic. To me, those elements take away from this design, not only theme-wise but art-wise. If the fractal branches were more of an unmistakable focal point, it would feel more on theme.


mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

How anybody can argue that this off theme is just laughable.

shawnpaul


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawnpaul

Awesome design. I love the honey comb design in the background.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
mikenytola wrote:How anybody can argue that this off theme is just laughable.


Instead of setting up a straw man, explain how it is on theme.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
kylemittskus wrote:Instead of setting up a straw man, explain how it is on theme.

It's hard to really explain anything because woot will delete the post because of "chemical" references.

For one thing, the mixture of music nature and colors are definitely something associated with Psychedelia, and this is speaking from experience and knowledge of friends experiences. So I do see this being completely on theme. It's not the same experiences as Tree Frog, which is also on theme. Just because two people go to the same tropical island to vacation, doesn't mean they had the same trip.

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
mikenytola wrote:It's hard to really explain anything because woot will delete the post because of "chemical" references.

For one thing, the mixture of music nature and colors are definitely something associated with Psychedelia, and this is speaking from experience and knowledge of friends experiences. So I do see this being completely on theme. It's not the same experiences as Tree Frog, which is also on theme. Just because two people go to the same tropical island to vacation, doesn't mean they had the same trip.

Well emotionally on topic is different from artistically on topic. Psychedelia has a definitive artistic style that I don't see in this shirt.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
mikenytola wrote:

For one thing, the mixture of music nature and colors are definitely something associated with Psychedelia


Ah, I never thought about it from that perspective. I wasn't alive back in the days of psychedelia (so to speak) but from what I know, music was a very big part of the movement/lifestyle/philosophy, etc. So was nature, hence 'tree hugger' and 'hippie' :P.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
albinoapple wrote:Well emotionally on topic is different from artistically on topic. Psychedelia has a definitive artistic style that I don't see in this shirt.

But that is ok that you don't see it. That's my point with the vacation, what you see and feel on your trip can be something completely different. The visuals in this design are familiar elements that embodies psychedelia, not just emotional. Without getting into too much detail, there is something about this specific design that visually reminds me of something I have seen on my vacation.

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Fractal Tree



On topic or off, none of this alters the fact that the design is extremely boring, and completely plays it safe. It's about as predictable, bland, and middle-of-the-road as one can get ... which is why it makes sense that the majority of Wooters are voting the hell out of it. Boots' entry last week pretty much said it best: mediocre is the new brilliant.

Sorry Patrickspens ... I don't mean my comments as a personal insult. I've seen intriguing entries from you in the past, but IMHO, this just isn't one of them. I'm well-aware that my opinions will mean nothing as soon as you clear an easy grand next weekend.

drgribb


quality posts: 4 Private Messages drgribb
Re: Fractal Tree


I'm gonna go ahead and say I've done a lot of drugs in my day... yeah...
Where was I again? Oh yeah, and this shirt reminds me of some things I've seen on my "vacations" as well. But I think the execution is too subtle- no one on the street is gonna get that my shirt is a nod to psychedelia, they'll just see a cool design. On topic enough to not be rejected, not on topic enough for me to want it to get printed. But wanting this to get rejected is like wanting ramyb and seki's submissions to get rejected every time because they put obnoxiously cute characters in their shirts and everyone votes for them. Just because you don't want it to get printed, doesn't mean that a thousand little anime-loving girls with pikachu backpacks (sorry that's just how I imagine the majority of ramy's fans, hope I didn't offend anyone) don't.

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
mikenytola wrote:But that is ok that you don't see it. That's my point with the vacation, what you see and feel on your trip can be something completely different. The visuals in this design are familiar elements that embodies psychedelia, not just emotional. Without getting into too much detail, there is something about this specific design that visually reminds me of something I have seen on my vacation.


Just because someone has seen something similar on their vacation does not make it on topic. Anyone can see ANYTHING, so I don't see how that applies.

I don't think you understand what I meant. Psychedelic culture has an extremely distinctive artistic style that just isn't present in this.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
albinoapple wrote:Just because someone has seen something similar on their vacation does not make it on topic. Anyone can see ANYTHING, so I don't see how that applies.

It does make it on topic. This is taken from the derby description:
"As scary as this could potentially be, we want to see your altered states of consciousness."

Seeing this whilst on vacation is exactly that.

And there is this:
"Give us your take on the swirling patterns"

They may not be the most interesting or wild swirling patterns, but they are definitely there.

I would agree that it is not a fractal, but the other two make it completely on topic. You are focusing on one specific aspect of the art, but not taking into consideration the full derby description.

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
mikenytola wrote:It does make it on topic. This is taken from the derby description:
"As scary as this could potentially be, we want to see your altered states of consciousness."

Seeing this whilst on vacation is exactly that.

And there is this:
"Give us your take on the swirling patterns"

They may not be the most interesting or wild swirling patterns, but they are definitely there.

I would agree that it is not a fractal, but the other two make it completely on topic. You are focusing on one specific aspect of the art, but not taking into consideration the full derby description.


Are you really trying to assert that ANYTHING is on topic merely because you can imagine it? Really? Really?

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
endangeredomega wrote:On topic or off, none of this alters the fact that the design is extremely boring, and completely plays it safe. It's about as predictable, bland, and middle-of-the-road as one can get ... which is why it makes sense that the majority of Wooters are voting the hell out of it. Boots' entry last week pretty much said it best: mediocre is the new brilliant.

Sorry Patrickspens ... I don't mean my comments as a personal insult. I've seen intriguing entries from you in the past, but IMHO, this just isn't one of them. I'm well-aware that my opinions will mean nothing as soon as you clear an easy grand next weekend.


im not really getting why you are so upset about this shirt. if it wins its because a lot of people want to buy it, therefore they do not think its boring. Just because YOU think a shirt is boring doesnt mean EVERYONE does. if its in the fog its because people would wear it and you just have to live with that fact. If they win the money they deserve it because their shirt SOLD. Deal with it. Maybe you should use your criticism to help people instead of just putting them down. you calling this shirt, "extremely boring, and completely plays it safe. It's about as predictable, bland, and middle-of-the-road as one can get" IS a personal assault and very disrespectful.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Fractal Tree


Y'know, if Patrick had entered this in the Earth Day derby people would have been quick to describe it as psychedelic.

Everything's relative! Sure it's not as out there as some of the other entries this week, but it's definitely trippy by normal standards. ^_^

niczone


quality posts: 0 Private Messages niczone
Re: Fractal Tree


I voted for this shirt and only this shirt because its the only shirt in the fog that is not horrible. Now its just a personal thing, but I am not wearing a 60s hippie shirt. I personally don't like the theme this week at all.

Would this shirt win "Most likely to be in a Ben and Jerry's store?" No. But that seems to be what you are judging it on. It takes a bad genre of shirt and makes it wearable. Your not required to vote on the shirt that most clearly adheres to the theme that you see fit. You can take the theme and run with it.

The creator of this shirt did that. If you don't like it, that is fine. But you don't have to go around trashing the creator and everyone that does.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
albinoapple wrote:Are you really trying to assert that ANYTHING is on topic merely because you can imagine it? Really? Really?

Are you really going to ignore everything else I've said? Really? Really?

What part about nature, music, and colors do you not understand? What part about the swirling do you not understand? What part about not just me, but two people who have said in this thread that this is "some things I've seen on my "vacations" as well"? I can't even begin to explain the honeycomb aspect of this to you because you obviously have everything figured out in your head and refuse to listen.

If you are going to be ignorant to what is being talked about then stop asking questions because you are just looking to argue for no reason. Have you ever been on a vacation to even know what I am talking about in the first place? I'm willing to take a bet you have little to no experience.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
niczone wrote:If you don't like it, that is fine. But you don't have to go around trashing the creator and everyone that does.


This.

Thank you ^^ Great post.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Spiritgreen wrote:Y'know, if Patrick had entered this in the Earth Day derby people would have been quick to describe it as psychedelic.

Everything's relative! Sure it's not as out there as some of the other entries this week, but it's definitely trippy by normal standards. ^_^


No it's not.

People would have been quick to describe it as such because they are wrong. Anything with "colors" is considered "psychedelic," sort of like how people call anything with an electric guitar "rock". People who don't know any better will classify anything as anything.

In the earth day derby, this would have been classified as "pretty dead for the theme." and still called generic. because it is.

Odyani


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Odyani
Re: Fractal Tree


Interesting shirt, but it just doesn't grab me.

I think I'd like it more if the roots had been extended more, out to a relatively equal length of the branches perhaps? That, and incorporating more swirls and such the further out to the ends of the roots, would've made a nice transition from the more traditional "psychedelic" style, to the more modern fractal style. Honeycombs sort of seem unnecessarily distracting though.

Good work anyway though! Good luck to you.

Hectic


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hectic
Re: Fractal Tree


Man...what's with all the haters posting on this submission?! Jealous much? If you don't like the design, then you don't like it. But to call it wrong, either for the theme or the people that do (like it) IS WRONG. It's all a matter of opinion, and opinions can't be right or wrong...THEY'RE OPINIONS!!!

There is no clear-cut definition for Psychedelia, it's all up to interpretation. Just like not everybody is going to see or hear the same things while "tripping the psychedelic groove", the same goes for this. Everybody is going to feel differently about this design.

But especially to the people that are just straight out bad-mouthing it, I have to say to them, "OK, let's see you do better!" Seriously! Draw something up and submit it and let's see how well it does. It's easy to criticize when others offer up their hard work for approval, but it's quite something else when others criticize your work!

Frankly, I couldn't care less about other people's opinions on whether it's on-topic or not or if they think it's "bland"! All I really care about is how much I like it or not...which I do! I'll be getting one if it wins! Great work Patrickspens!

AlyssaRae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlyssaRae
Re: Fractal Tree


I personally am extremely excited to have this fantastic representation of the psychedelic world draped across my chest. If this shirt doesn't print, I will contact the creator and offer a greater sum of money for this shirt than what Shirt.woot would charge. Great job. I love it.

noodlerice


quality posts: 0 Private Messages noodlerice
Re: Fractal Tree


i do agree [to a certain degree] that it's not AS psychedelic as other entries in this derby.
and with that aside, i think its an interesting design.
when i first saw the thumbnail i thought of the sakura sauce design kdeuce won with.
dunno why that is.
im not sure what i think bout the honeycomb in the back.
seems a wee bit out of place, mayhaps?
anyways...in conclusion: it could make a nice print.

omninull


quality posts: 0 Private Messages omninull

The thing is, nobody, outside of knowing where this shirt came from, will even think of it as psychedelic, or fractal. It's a generic design. It happens in a lot of derbies, and that's why most derbies are pretty disappointing.

lickspittlebar24


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lickspittlebar24
mikenytola wrote:
Just because two people go to the same tropical island to vacation, doesn't mean they had the same trip.


YES. Psychedelia is relative to each person. No one experiences the same thing ("seeing" things on "vacations") during an altered state of consciousness. And if enough people have felt or experienced anything this shirt implies, then let it print and accept it.

I am one who does think this shirt embodies "psychedelia," in relation to my own "vacations", and I want it to print.

ESPECIALLY the honeycombs.

ThatPoshGirl


quality posts: 32 Private Messages ThatPoshGirl

I have no opinion about whether it is on or off theme, but as a math major I take issue with it being called a "fractal."

jacqueman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacqueman
ThatPoshGirl wrote:I have no opinion about whether it is on or off theme, but as a math major I take issue with it being called a "fractal."


I totally agree. When I first saw the title I thought, "Oh, sweet!", but then I saw the shirt and I was like, "Huh? Where's the fractal?"

Travisdoesmath


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Travisdoesmath
jacqueman wrote:I totally agree. When I first saw the title I thought, "Oh, sweet!", but then I saw the shirt and I was like, "Huh? Where's the fractal?"


The branches are self-similar. Fractal enough for me.

And to beat the psychedelic dead horse: Is this design true psychedelic art? No. Is it inspired by psychedelia? Yes. Is it on-theme? In my opinion, yes.

Also, it's awesome that the off-themers are getting high blood pressure over someone not following their rigidly defined notions of ... psychedelia.

Peace, Love, and STAY WITHIN WITHIN THE F!@#ING LINES, apparently.

thesanchelope


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thesanchelope
Re: Fractal Tree


For those of you saying this isn't psychedelic enough to be on topic. Go to Youtube, and look up "Fractal Sets" "Fractal Zooms" or "The mandelbrot fractal set." An equation with no solution is plugged into a computer, and remainders are set to colors. These equations show the nature of similarity in everyday life, and repition in mathematical equations. A fractal zoom shows an image plotted on a graph, and then show how the tiny intricacies of the image repeat themselves.

Seriously...look it up. If that's not the trippiest thing youve ever seen....then you've taken acid.

grawss


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grawss
Re: Fractal Tree


Were I to see the majority of shirts entered in this derby on the street, the only thought that would come to my mind is that they are awful. The art style wouldn't even register.

This shirt, however, looks awesome. I still wouldn't think Psychedelia, but that's because I don't care about said art style and never looked into much; you know, like 99.99% of Earth's population.

The design is crazy, it's weird, and yet still doesn't make me think the artist is completely devoid of any style. That is why it is in the fog.

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
niczone wrote:I voted for this shirt and only this shirt because its the only shirt in the fog that is not horrible. Now its just a personal thing, but I am not wearing a 60s hippie shirt. I personally don't like the theme this week at all.

Would this shirt win "Most likely to be in a Ben and Jerry's store?" No. But that seems to be what you are judging it on. It takes a bad genre of shirt and makes it wearable. Your not required to vote on the shirt that most clearly adheres to the theme that you see fit. You can take the theme and run with it.

The creator of this shirt did that. If you don't like it, that is fine. But you don't have to go around trashing the creator and everyone that does.


Now THAT is a dumb reason to vote for a shirt. If you don't think any shirts are good, then DON'T VOTE FOR ANY!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
Hectic wrote:Man...what's with all the haters posting on this submission?! Jealous much?


This shirt aside, please don't make the puerile, ad hominem argument that if someone criticizes something, then he/she must be jealous. It's illogical.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bastet4


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bastet4
Re: Fractal Tree

Hey WOOT STAFF-- I NEED THIS SHIRT! NEED IT!!!!

bastet4


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bastet4
lickspittlebar24 wrote:YES. Psychedelia is relative to each person. No one experiences the same thing ("seeing" things on "vacations") during an altered state of consciousness. And if enough people have felt or experienced anything this shirt implies, then let it print and accept it.

I am one who does think this shirt embodies "psychedelia," in relation to my own "vacations", and I want it to print.

ESPECIALLY the honeycombs.


Agreed! Pretty sure I have seen this on "vacation" before. Laying out in the grass looking at the trees.. and Ive taken a lot of vacations!

jacqueman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacqueman
thesanchelope wrote:For those of you saying this isn't psychedelic enough to be on topic. Go to Youtube, and look up "Fractal Sets" "Fractal Zooms" or "The mandelbrot fractal set." An equation with no solution is plugged into a computer, and remainders are set to colors. These equations show the nature of similarity in everyday life, and repition in mathematical equations. A fractal zoom shows an image plotted on a graph, and then show how the tiny intricacies of the image repeat themselves.

Seriously...look it up. If that's not the trippiest thing youve ever seen....then you've taken acid.


I do hope you are aware that the mandelbrot set is a rigidly defined set of points. Any point on the complex plane is either in the mandelbrot set or is not. There is no equation of the type you're thinking of involved.

leozeppelin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leozeppelin
Re: Fractal Tree


It is creepy with the right colors!! Perfect! ;-)

jfelice001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfelice001
Re: Fractal Tree


I NEED THIS SHIRT. end of story.

bellarific


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: Fractal Tree


I feel like I could find this at Sears.

I don't know if that's an insult or not.

Shoppingdingo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shoppingdingo
Re: Fractal Tree


Trees.. heartbeat line.. add a penguin and a mario brothers reference and this is a woot shirt...

Its pretty, but am I the only person getting burnt out on trees?

If it was stronger in fractal appearence I might feel different... maybe..

RandomLynx


quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx
Re: Fractal Tree



I like this shirt, another one I would buy if it wins. Got a nice meshing of different things - some organic with the tree, sound waves, what looks like a hive, and of course the colors. And it also looks like it can pull off the brown background.

It looks like some people are complaining that it's too simple or not psychedelic enough. Personally I tend to prefer the simpler designs, something that is too busy or out there probably won't be worn too often. But I also don't think this is too simple, it's got enough going on to keep it interesting.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
bellarific wrote:I feel like I could find this at Sears.

I don't know if that's an insult or not.


Bella, you're too nice so I'll help you out. It's an insult. It's also true.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

visix


quality posts: 1 Private Messages visix
Hectic wrote:Man...what's with all the haters posting on this submission?! Jealous much? If you don't like the design, then you don't like it. But to call it wrong, either for the theme or the people that do (like it) IS WRONG. It's all a matter of opinion, and opinions can't be right or wrong...THEY'RE OPINIONS!!!


I disagree, it is my opinion that opinions can be wrong. And since that is an opinion, I can't be wrong. So, obviously your opinion is wrong that opinions can't be wrong because my opinion can't be wrong stating that opinions can be wrong since, as you said, opinions can't be wrong.

SubBass49


quality posts: 3 Private Messages SubBass49
visix wrote:I disagree, it is my opinion that opinions can be wrong. And since that is an opinion, I can't be wrong. So, obviously your opinion is wrong that opinions can't be wrong because my opinion can't be wrong stating that opinions can be wrong since, as you said, opinions can't be wrong.


Far out man...

Lurk58


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lurk58
jfelice001 wrote:I NEED THIS SHIRT. end of story.


Totally agree. I don't care if it is supposedly "off topic", I dont think it is but the design and colors are enough to sell me on it. Will definitely buy if it goes to print. Cheers.

Hammylink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
AdderXYU wrote:It's also not remotely on theme. Print ahoy!


If you are smart, you see stuff like this when you are tripping...Oh wait! We're not supposed to encourage drug use here. :\

______________________________________________

weirdpuckett


quality posts: 0 Private Messages weirdpuckett
Re: Fractal Tree


Joan Baez would be singing "Koombaya" about now . . .

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
visix wrote:I disagree, it is my opinion that opinions can be wrong. And since that is an opinion, I can't be wrong. So, obviously your opinion is wrong that opinions can't be wrong because my opinion can't be wrong stating that opinions can be wrong since, as you said, opinions can't be wrong.

quality post in my opinion.

IvusFest


quality posts: 2 Private Messages IvusFest
Re: Fractal Tree


The tree frog one better be second or third because that is a much better tree. Who the hell voted for this?

That being said, grates on the print!

leozeppelin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leozeppelin
Re: Fractal Tree


Is there a way to buy sold out shirt? It was sold out before I could grab it!!!! Lazy me.

RandomLynx


quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx
leozeppelin wrote:Is there a way to buy sold out shirt? It was sold out before I could grab it!!!! Lazy me.


Wait a little while and you'll be able to buy it for a tad more but unfortunately that's it for the ten bucks version.

klanigan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages klanigan

it makes my eyes tingle. sorry your eye can't see it. That's the point!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail