Derby #149: Psychedelia
+433

In front of me at the movies

In front of me at the movies
add a comment

Comments

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: In front of me at the movies


Great colors GF!

misrymonky


quality posts: 2 Private Messages misrymonky

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: In front of me at the movies


This makes me smile

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: In front of me at the movies


Ha ha, I only just saw this! Nice work.

Very natural to have a side placement. ^_^

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: In front of me at the movies


While I don't see the theme very well represented here, I still like the design ^^. Super cute. It would have been awesome to see the seats in front of him, hahaha. As a short person who loves movies..I think I've sat behind this dude before...-facepalm-

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

as a lover of trippy giraffes, i would totally buy this shirt man! GMV!

Trippy Giraffe

BrettWalking


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrettWalking
Re: In front of me at the movies

clever, but I wouldn't have gotten the joke without the title.

Februaryxvi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Februaryxvi

jacquelinel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacquelinel
Re: In front of me at the movies


Great shirt. Great presentation. I like that I can see exactly what the shirt will look like.

jpmillman


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jpmillman

I must have this shirt.

Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

kira89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kira89
Re: In front of me at the movies


I don't understand how this is on topic at all.

visix


quality posts: 1 Private Messages visix
kira89 wrote:I don't understand how this is on topic at all.


1) Make standard animal joke
2) Color it purple (CRAZY!!!)
3) Win derby while being totally off theme.
4) Profit!

endersdrag0narmy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages endersdrag0narmy
visix wrote:1) Make standard animal joke
2) Color it purple (CRAZY!!!)
3) Win derby while being totally off theme.
4) Profit!


HAHAHAHA

Floridafighter66


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Floridafighter66
Re: In front of me at the movies


i agree with previous comments: i don't find this on topic. it's a "cute" design but in my opinion, fakon and overall uninteresting (besides the unusual giraffe color).

MafiaAce


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MafiaAce
Re: In front of me at the movies


This has nothing to do with psychedelia. It's a disgrace to the other designs in the top 9, and proves to me again that wooters have less and less taste with each day.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: In front of me at the movies


this shirt is simple but well designed, the placement is perfect and unique, therefore it would be interesting to wear. not every shirt has to have an overly complicated piece of artwork on it for it to be great. sometimes simplicity is best, especially on t-shirts. this is an easy fun read and it makes me smile when i see it. if i saw someone wearing this shirt, i would say, "awwwwww that is rad" and ask them where they got it. that above all is the best reason to vote for this shirt in my opinion. also, i've never had a drug trip before but if i were in a theatre and saw a purple and green giraffe in front of me wearing 3D glasses I would definately be having a psychedelic moment since one of the defintions of psychedelic is visual halucinations. so to me, this is perfectly on topic and a perfectly awesome shirt!

juzijuzi


quality posts: 9 Private Messages juzijuzi

Besides being totally off topic, aren't we al forgetting that this image is called "in front" of me at the movies, so wouldn't we be seeing the back of the giraffe's head?

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
juzijuzi wrote:Besides being totally off topic, aren't we al forgetting that this image is called "in front" of me at the movies, so wouldn't we be seeing the back of the giraffe's head?


You'd probably see the back of the giraffe's neck...cause his head would be way up, and the theater would be super dark. :P

As for this being on theme..I agree it's a bit off. But, there's two shirts with bunnies on them in the derby that haven't been rejected either. It appears the rules are being bent forward and backward this go round. So, party on, Wayne.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
bassanimation wrote:It appears the rules are being bent forward and backward this go round. So, party on, Wayne.


now that is psychedelic! (o_O)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bassanimation wrote:It appears the rules are being bent forward and backward this go round. So, party on, Wayne.


This go round?! Where have you been for the past, oh, I don't know... forever?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
kylemittskus wrote:Where have you been for the past, oh, I don't know... forever?


Color me enlightened. Ironic, seeing as how this is the Psychedelia derby... ^_^

Also, this was the double standard I was actually talking about in the Patrick shirt. Had the bunny been present on another artist's shirt who doesn't have the status of Alex S., Im pretty sure the community elders would have BBQ'd them for ignoring the rules. I could be jumping to conclusions..but it still looks really fishy. -shrug- Rules can't just be applied to some people. Everyone, even the cool guys, should have to follow them.

(note: This has nothing to do with the art itself..which we can all agree is outstanding.)

AlyssaRae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlyssaRae
visix wrote:1) Make standard animal joke
2) Color it purple (CRAZY!!!)
3) Win derby while being totally off theme.
4) Profit!


Exactly. I wish we could down vote designs. A good portion of the shirt.woot community seriously lacks something mentally...

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bassanimation wrote:Color me enlightened. Ironic, seeing as how this is the Psychedelia derby... ^_^

Also, this was the double standard I was actually talking about in the Patrick shirt. Had the bunny been present on another artist's shirt who doesn't have the status of Alex S., Im pretty sure the community elders would have BBQ'd them for ignoring the rules. I could be jumping to conclusions..but it still looks really fishy. -shrug- Rules can't just be applied to some people. Everyone, even the cool guys, should have to follow them.

(note: This has nothing to do with the art itself..which we can all agree is outstanding.)


I still think it's a dog.

And I have noticed that "the cool guys" tend to follow the rules far better than the people who are oft criticized. This is actually why people seem to always criticize the same people; because said people continuously ignore derby rules.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
kylemittskus wrote:I still think it's a dog.

And I have noticed that "the cool guys" tend to follow the rules far better than the people who are oft criticized. This is actually why people seem to always criticize the same people; because said people continuously ignore derby rules.


I would be willing to argue that the animal in question is no more deformed than the average chibi animal, which noone seems to defend as "not a bunny". Also it is worth pointing out, IMO, that the regular transgressors of prolific bunny designs have never entered one in a "no bunny" derby that I am aware. (I couldn't care less if the design in question is a deformed bunny, dog, sheep, or other animal.)

I also pretty strongly disagree that this design is so egregiously off theme as many posters seem to want to say. What is psychedelia to you? Is it crazy bright colors? Is it crazy drippy surrealism ala Dali? Is it a kaleidoscope? Is it mosaic tiles? Is it something you'd imagine seeing while on hallucinogenics? This design abides by as many of those definitions as a rainbow chameleon, a rainbow horse, a rainbow tree, and a kaleidoscope turtle, without any question, IMO.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
kylemittskus wrote:I still think it's a dog.


its a bunny, in fact two of his shirts have bunnies. the fact that your are stretching the rules in order to keep his designs from not being disqualified because they have bunnies is the same as people stretching the definition of psychedelic to keep this design in. the only difference is that the rules clearly state no bunnies, so if you have a bunny there is no way to dispute that rule. on the other hand the definitions of psychedelia are so varied and depend on a lot of personal opinion, its very easy to do anything and put it into that category.

People who dont like this shirt are just trying to find a way for it to get rejected, but if this shirt is rejected then two of AlexMDC's shirts should be rejected. you cant have it both ways.

misrymonky


quality posts: 2 Private Messages misrymonky
kylemittskus wrote:I still think it's a dog.


That is not the teeth of a dog! lol


JorgeF


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JorgeF

This is the only shirt I would buy of all the one in the fog. And I think that the only one many many people would. Hope it prints!

-->no future<--

AlyssaRae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlyssaRae

How this shirt hasn't been rejected by now is completely beyond me.

Mattroid


quality posts: 17 Private Messages Mattroid
Re: In front of me at the movies


Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't there a giraffe in one of those old school "movie ratings" ads they used to play before movies? Like the one for G rated movies showed a family with kids and as the ratings got higher, the younger kids would be gone or the parents would cover up their eyes or something. Then for R rated it was just the parents...wasn't there one similar to that that just had this mysterious giraffe sitting a few seats down from the family? These were cartoony, obviously.

This was my first thought when I saw this shirt but I'm surprised no one else remembers that, so I'm wondering if I'm just remembering something that never happened...wouldn't be the first time!

Mattroid


quality posts: 17 Private Messages Mattroid
Mattroid wrote:Maybe I'm misremembering, but wasn't there a giraffe in one of those old school "movie ratings" ads they used to play before movies? Like the one for G rated movies showed a family with kids and as the ratings got higher, the younger kids would be gone or the parents would cover up their eyes or something. Then for R rated it was just the parents...wasn't there one similar to that that just had this mysterious giraffe sitting a few seats down from the family? These were cartoony, obviously.

This was my first thought when I saw this shirt but I'm surprised no one else remembers that, so I'm wondering if I'm just remembering something that never happened...wouldn't be the first time!


Found it. I was remembering there was an animal with glasses, as well, so I guess I was confusing the giraffe and the rabbit in the image below. THIS is what I thought this shirt was a reference to...was I wrong?

http://www.fiestadrivein.com/mpaa.jpg

kennykrotzer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kennykrotzer
Re: In front of me at the movies


Yes! Another giraffe shirt! Giraffe shirts are the best

b1w2k3s4


quality posts: 0 Private Messages b1w2k3s4

Hey, are you going to print this elsewhere? I really want this shirt!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail