Derby #158: Physics
+379

Diving With Photons!

Diving With Photons!
add a comment

Comments

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
Re: Diving With Photons!


EDIT: I chose optics as the aspect of physics that I wanted to represent. I created this design based entirely on the effects of light, specifically for this derby. I thought an underwater cave would be an interesting demonstration of that. Light and its properties are a significant area of study in physics.

4 shades of blue on a black shirt, Pantone 290, 305, 311, and 801.

here are some close-ups:





and finally a link to a larger version:
Diving with Photons!

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: Diving With Photons!

Wow, this is really nice! Great work.

cosmiccow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmiccow
Re: Diving With Photons!


Very well drawn, but it comes off as one of those designs where you give it a title to make it fit the theme, rather than designing for the theme.

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
profbrendan wrote:Wow, this is really nice! Great work.


Thanks!

fabiofranca


quality posts: 1 Private Messages fabiofranca
Re: Diving With Photons!


Nice Halftones...

MaliceKaiser


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaliceKaiser
cosmiccow wrote:Very well drawn, but it comes off as one of those designs where you give it a title to make it fit the theme, rather than designing for the theme.


I agree. Great work, but in my opinion it's totally off-topic.

YinofYang


quality posts: 0 Private Messages YinofYang
Re: Diving With Photons!


This is one of the coolest designs I've ever seen. I hope, hope to heck it prints. It's visually striking and I want!

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
fabiofranca wrote:Nice Halftones...


Thanks! Your gravity design is pretty sweet.

YinofYang wrote:This is one of the coolest designs I've ever seen. I hope, hope to heck it prints. It's visually striking and I want!


Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
cosmiccow wrote:Very well drawn, but it comes off as one of those designs where you give it a title to make it fit the theme, rather than designing for the theme.


MaliceKaiser wrote:I agree. Great work, but in my opinion it's totally off-topic.


Thanks for your input, but I created this design specifically for this theme because I wanted to use a more natural representation of an observed phenomenon in the study of physics rather than a symbolic or graphical one.

Optics is a major branch of physics, concerning the behavior and properties of light. The behavior of light when interacting with water is key in my submission.

Duddles86


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Duddles86

This is a stunning design but looks off topic.

If a flash light in water is physics then, doesn't woot have to accept any image with light in it (aka anything that isn't a black t-shirt).

xarizmu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xarizmu
Re: Diving With Photons!


This shirt is awesome! I love it! GMV.

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
Duddles86 wrote:This is a stunning design but looks off topic.

If a flash light in water is physics then, doesn't woot have to accept any image with light in it (aka anything that isn't a black black t-shirt).


Thank you for the feedback! The flashlight is not the focus of my design. The effect of light rays streaming through the opening of an underwater cave, filtering down into deep, dark water is what I was interested in depicting, as a natural example of the behavior and properties of light.

glorinmann


quality posts: 0 Private Messages glorinmann
Re: Diving With Photons!

Strange, as I'm writing those lines, this t-shirt is in the fog of war but it also says it ranks 10th, and we can see the number of votes...
Maybe because the V1 of "A simple question of weight ratios", which was also in the fog, was removed ?

Shoppingdingos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shoppingdingos
Re: Diving With Photons!


pretty.... far off topic.

really dude.. just slap a name on what youve been working on and call it science.

Shoppingdingos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shoppingdingos
zosai wrote:Thanks for your input, but I created this design specifically for this theme because I wanted to use a more natural representation of an observed phenomenon in the study of physics rather than a symbolic or graphical one.

Optics is a major branch of physics, concerning the behavior and properties of light. The behavior of light when interacting with water is key in my submission.


now, if you slap this explaination in print on the back of the shirt.. its halfway to being on topic.

xarizmu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xarizmu
Shoppingdingos wrote:pretty.... far off topic.

really dude.. just slap a name on what youve been working on and call it science.


Shoppingdingos wrote:now, if you slap this explaination in print on the back of the shirt.. its halfway to being on topic.


It seems like a pretty good explanation to me. If physicists study photons (light) and physicists study astronomy (planets) then this design is just as relevant as the planet designs.

LOLcommunism


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism

ohhhhh I get it now.

Thanks for the first post to clarify

Nice job!

Would you kindly...

Siax


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Siax
Re: Diving With Photons!


zosai your explanation was so clear I have to give this a +1.

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai

xarizmu, LOLcommunism, and Siax:

Thanks all! I'm happy my explanation helps clear things up, I guess it should have been there all along.

Usedtabe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Usedtabe
Re: Diving With Photons!


Love this design. Nevermind the drolls who try to say it's off topic. Beautiful work.

intrepidmanitou


quality posts: 0 Private Messages intrepidmanitou

Love this one! I think it'd look great on a shirt. Got my vote for sure. Good luck, zosai!

dreamwootseeker


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dreamwootseeker
cosmiccow wrote:Very well drawn, but it comes off as one of those designs where you give it a title to make it fit the theme, rather than designing for the theme.


Hit the nail right on the head. Most definitely off topic.

LOLcommunism


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism
dreamwootseeker wrote:Hit the nail right on the head. Most definitely off topic.


Seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

Would you kindly...

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai

Usedtabe & intrepidmanitou:

Thanks for your votes!

cosmiccow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmiccow
zosai wrote:Thanks for your input, but I created this design specifically for this theme because I wanted to use a more natural representation of an observed phenomenon in the study of physics rather than a symbolic or graphical one.

Optics is a major branch of physics, concerning the behavior and properties of light. The behavior of light when interacting with water is key in my submission.


By this description, any shirt with a visible image would be on topic, because light and optics is a part of, well, seeing things. In fact, I guess you wouldn't even need an image, you could just say, "You can see the shirt, right? It's about optics, and light diffusion."
It's a beautiful image, but nothing about this shirt makes me look at it and think, "Physics!" Is physics involved? Sure. It's involved in everything. That doesn't make the shirt about physics, or overtly connected to physics in any way.

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
cosmiccow wrote:By this description, any shirt with a visible image would be on topic, because light and optics is a part of, well, seeing things. In fact, I guess you wouldn't even need an image, you could just say, "You can see the shirt, right? It's about optics, and light diffusion."
It's a beautiful image, but nothing about this shirt makes me look at it and think, "Physics!" Is physics involved? Sure. It's involved in everything. That doesn't make the shirt about physics, or overtly connected to physics in any way.


I understand what you are saying, and thanks for the compliment, but my design is not merely visible, its content is light. The theme is light. In fact, it is entirely composed of rays and beams of light, made distinguishable by the particular phenomenon I was interested in, “crepuscular rays,” which usually occur at sunset brought on by shadows from clouds. The opening to the cave functions as the shadow-producing element in this case.

It’s true that I set out to make a design that was not “about” physics. I did not want a reference to the field itself, physicists, or other aspects that would create a self-referential meaning. I wanted something that would demonstrate physics in the natural world, something that physicists would study, but that wouldn’t be a model, a symbol, or something only found in a lab. Only a comparative few shirts in the derby are “about” physics (like the Phive Physibots, Cold Fusion, Retro Physics, e.g.), the rest feature something physical that physicists would study. Mine is no different. Thanks again for your feedback.

LOLcommunism


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism
zosai wrote:I understand what you are saying, and thanks for the compliment, but my design is not merely visible, its content is light. The theme is light. In fact, it is entirely composed of rays and beams of light, made distinguishable by the particular phenomenon I was interested in, “crepuscular rays,” which usually occur at sunset brought on by shadows from clouds. The opening to the cave functions as the shadow-producing element in this case.

It’s true that I set out to make a design that was not “about” physics. I did not want a reference to the field itself, physicists, or other aspects that would create a self-referential meaning. I wanted something that would demonstrate physics in the natural world, something that physicists would study, but that wouldn’t be a model, a symbol, or something only found in a lab. Only a comparative few shirts in the derby are “about” physics (like the Phive Physibots, Cold Fusion, Retro Physics, e.g.), the rest feature something physical that physicists would study. Mine is no different. Thanks again for your feedback.



I think you should stop replying to these. Your fingers are gonna break off LOL.

Haters gonna hate dawg, I'm glad you take it in stride though. You take criticism very well <3

Would you kindly...

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Diving With Photons!


WHERE ARE MY PANTS?!!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Usedtabe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Usedtabe
Re: Diving With Photons!



Looking at what's in the fog, I cannot believe this got knocked out of it. Really? Another stupid cat shirt and about 4 other "cute" shirts with crap art beat this beautiful design? I really hate the voters of shirt.woot sometimes. If it's cute/ironic/hipster trash, they'll vote for it regardless of the quality of the art involved.

TigerGoat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TigerGoat
zosai wrote:I understand what you are saying, and thanks for the compliment, but my design is not merely visible, its content is light. The theme is light. In fact, it is entirely composed of rays and beams of light, made distinguishable by the particular phenomenon I was interested in, “crepuscular rays,” which usually occur at sunset brought on by shadows from clouds. The opening to the cave functions as the shadow-producing element in this case.

It’s true that I set out to make a design that was not “about” physics. I did not want a reference to the field itself, physicists, or other aspects that would create a self-referential meaning. I wanted something that would demonstrate physics in the natural world, something that physicists would study, but that wouldn’t be a model, a symbol, or something only found in a lab. Only a comparative few shirts in the derby are “about” physics (like the Phive Physibots, Cold Fusion, Retro Physics, e.g.), the rest feature something physical that physicists would study. Mine is no different. Thanks again for your feedback.


+1

The shirt is beautiful, and it makes as much or more sense than any of the other shirts in this derby. With physics being such a broad sweeping and poorly understood discipline, almost nothing that is actually related to real physics is considered "physics" by the general public.

I personally think its a great shirt and hope it gets printed, although with some of the shirts that are more aimed at this particular group of buyers, I am concerned that it wont. So it goes. Good luck in the future!

TigerGoats roar for grass.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
TigerGoat wrote:+1

The shirt is beautiful, and it makes as much or more sense than any of the other shirts in this derby. With physics being such a broad sweeping and poorly understood discipline, almost nothing that is actually related to real physics is considered "physics" by the general public.

I personally think its a great shirt and hope it gets printed, although with some of the shirts that are more aimed at this particular group of buyers, I am concerned that it wont. So it goes. Good luck in the future!


I like the design, don't get me wrong but "as much or more sense than any of the other shirts in this derby" is just untrue. I don't want to get in a big debate or argument about how related this shirt might be to physics, but there are certainly shirts which are more related to physics than this. The two Schrodinger's cat shirts, for one, and the quarks shirt for another.

shadowox8


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadowox8
Re: Diving With Photons!


This is quite lovely.

sharkswithlasers349


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharkswithlasers349

I love this design. While most people are saying that it doesn't relate to physics, I disagree: The whole "you could make anything relate to physics" argument is garbage, because while the presence of light allows you to see a shirt and therefore involves physics(like someone mentioned), this shirt's design actually incorporates light into the design.

As someone who loves physics, this derby got me really excited, and it turned out to be extremely disappointing. This was one of 3 designs to receive my vote (none of which are in the fog, by the way), and I'm quite irritated that it's getting so much hate; I'm sure that the designs that win will not be immediately recognizable as physics related, so there's no reason for this design to be shunned simply because it involves actual art as opposed to another bunny.

All in all, this is a great design; let me know if you submit it for printing somewhere else, as I'll definitely vote for/buy it.

jerudel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerudel
Re: Diving With Photons!


This looks SO cool!! I wish I could draw like that! Great job!!

neophool


quality posts: 2 Private Messages neophool
Re: Diving With Photons!


BACK INTO THE FOG WITH YOU! GOGOGOGO

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai

@LOLcommunism: Yeah, I just had to respond. Thanks.

@Usedtabe: Thanks, I was sure hoping I'd stay in too, but I’m confident there will be great shirts printed.

@TigerGoat: Thanks for your vote and your defense!

@Darquis: Thanks, and yeah, TigerGoat probably overstated the case a bit, but the point stands. Yours does too, though.

@shadowox8: Thanks a lot!

@sharkswithlasers349: Thanks for your vote and impassioned plea! I'm holding out a small amount of hope for an inclusion in the next double-take derby...

@jerudel: Thank you!

@Neophool: Thanks for the sentiment.

everybody else: I appreciate all the votes I've gotten this week. It's been great!

cosmiccow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmiccow
sharkswithlasers349 wrote:I love this design. While most people are saying that it doesn't relate to physics, I disagree: The whole "you could make anything relate to physics" argument is garbage, because while the presence of light allows you to see a shirt and therefore involves physics(like someone mentioned), this shirt's design actually incorporates light into the design.

As someone who loves physics, this derby got me really excited, and it turned out to be extremely disappointing. This was one of 3 designs to receive my vote (none of which are in the fog, by the way), and I'm quite irritated that it's getting so much hate; I'm sure that the designs that win will not be immediately recognizable as physics related, so there's no reason for this design to be shunned simply because it involves actual art as opposed to another bunny.

All in all, this is a great design; let me know if you submit it for printing somewhere else, as I'll definitely vote for/buy it.


"As someone who loves physics..." is such a wonderful way to disregard anyone else's knowledge or interest in physics. I'm an Aerospace Engineering student.
Yeah, light's part of the design. But the design screams "DIVING!" not "LIGHT!"
Look, I love the design. It's a great drawing. It's very well executed. But on topic it ain't.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
cosmiccow wrote:"As someone who loves physics..." is such a wonderful way to disregard anyone else's knowledge or interest in physics. I'm an Aerospace Engineering student.
Yeah, light's part of the design. But the design screams "DIVING!" not "LIGHT!"
Look, I love the design. It's a great drawing. It's very well executed. But on topic it ain't.


Yeah I didn't want to further argue cuz I felt I was doing too much of it in a few threads, but if I draw a footrace and say "lol fighting gravity, integral to physics" it doesn't make it any more or less valid. I liked the shirt but I didn't think it was suited to the theme.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail