Derby #158: Physics
+1131

a simple question of weight ratios (v2)

a simple question of weight ratios (v2)
add a comment

Comments

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


The public demanded it, so how can I not comply? Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

Hope these look more like coconuts

Anyone wants some good laughs (and the joke behind the shirt), watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcLQRXW6B0

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


Thank you all for the re-votes!

Uncompressed version here:




Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
artulo wrote:The public demanded it, so how can I not comply? Hope these look more like coconuts


Mucho better, IMO. I only hope check marks are left alone by the rejectonator.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


much better! definitely got my vote now! =D

SpazX


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpazX
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


It does look better, hopefully it can make it up there.

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


Haha. I didn't get the reference at first since I thought they were bowling balls.

This is great!!! Good job!


rockefoe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockefoe
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


oh! love this updated furry-coconut version!

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


Much improved. I'll be amazed if this doesn't get 1st place.

walmazan


quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


Love it Artulo! and the colors are amazing!

Good luck with this!

zosai


quality posts: 1 Private Messages zosai
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


this is great! I agree the fuzzy coconuts are a nice improvement.

gideonfrost


quality posts: 33 Private Messages gideonfrost

Yes....just yes.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

jabberjaws13


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


everyone, including myself, always says "o.m.g. i want this shirt!"

but seriously, i want this shirt.

Happy Beer.

4Se7ens


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4Se7ens
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


I hate to sound like an spoon, but... what are the 3 dots about? Is it "therefore"?

...

czar21


quality posts: 1 Private Messages czar21
artulo wrote:The public demanded it, so how can I not comply? Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

Hope these look more like coconuts


I don't know, I'm a bowler, so v1 and I... ;)

But big fan of the resub!

4Se7ens


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4Se7ens
4Se7ens wrote:I hate to sound like an spoon, but... what are the 3 dots about? Is it "therefore"?


Ummm... Never mind.

(I guess I've never seen that before.)

...

4Se7ens


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4Se7ens
4Se7ens wrote:Ummm... Never mind.

(I guess I've never seen that before.)


That was supposed to be the image of a coconut with 3 holes in it.

I like this. Voted. Done talking to myself. Sorry.

...

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Much better with the texture change.

On a totally coincidental, I just got The Holy Grail in the mail yesterday from Netflix. My gf had never seen it so I had to have her watch it. This shirt getting posted the same day, must be sign. GMV

sogj


quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


I'll be buying three if this wins!!! LOVE IT!

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

LOLcommunism


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism

Imma guess... Monty Python reference?

Very nice! :D

Would you kindly...

gimmethatplz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gimmethatplz
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


Just perfect if you get the joke.

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988

kc8iep


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kc8iep
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


I'm surprised no ones asked but are they African or European?

niebuck


quality posts: 0 Private Messages niebuck

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


There are so many reasons this rocks. GMV. You might have a shot this week, art.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


There are so many reasons this rocks. GMV. You might have a shot this week, art.

TehBug


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TehBug
artulo wrote:The public demanded it, so how can I not comply? Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.


You sir, are awesome.

plasmablaster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages plasmablaster

flannelman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages flannelman
kc8iep wrote:I'm surprised no ones asked but are they African or European?


That, my good sir, is because everyone knows that African swallows are non-migratory.

noodlerice


quality posts: 0 Private Messages noodlerice

teeidea


quality posts: 0 Private Messages teeidea
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


I dont know what to say... in the fog, this? Maybe I am getting old.

smacderu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smacderu

Hmmmm, I get there are 3 marks like that on a coconut, but... It still kinda looks like a bowling ball.

I love it, otherwise. Maybe just one more little tweak and it'll be woot-worthy.

EggyToast


quality posts: 1 Private Messages EggyToast
teeidea wrote:I dont know what to say... in the fog, this? Maybe I am getting old.


Yeah, where do you put the lime?

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ


but i thought there was no text allowed???

frogbrooks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogbrooks
kc8iep wrote:I'm surprised no ones asked but are they African or European?


They have to be european, african swallows are non migratory

frogbrooks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogbrooks
kc8iep wrote:I'm surprised no ones asked but are they African or European?


They have to be european, african swallows are non migratory

bkearney09


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkearney09
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


Crap, easy win here. I WHERE ARE MY PANTS?! this one at all, but I can almost guarantee it will get first place. Monty Python is hilarious though

jabberjaws13


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
kc8iep wrote:I'm surprised no ones asked but are they African or European?


There was a lot of talk about in the first sub, but once it was resubbed with a furry coconut, it would have been redundant, as declared by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Happy Beer.

mcguire867


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcguire867
Darquis wrote:Mucho better, IMO. I only hope check marks are left alone by the rejectonator.


Check marks are symbols, not text. ;) I'm pretty sure this shirt is safe. =)

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
mcguire867 wrote:Check marks are symbols, not text. ;) I'm pretty sure this shirt is safe. =)


I've seen checks get hit as text. Gonna shut up now lest I jinx it.

flauros22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages flauros22
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


I must have this shirt.

bkearney09


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkearney09
bkearney09 wrote:Crap, easy win here. I WHERE ARE MY PANTS?! this one at all, but I can almost guarantee it will get first place. Monty Python is hilarious though


woot! why must you make such a fool out of me. very rude. very rude indeed. But seriously...let me know if you have seen my pants.

sdkammer


quality posts: 30 Private Messages sdkammer

I am 12 years old and what is this?


Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)

jabberjaws13


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
sdkammer wrote:I am 12 years old and what is this?


A great joke wasted on the youth.

I am not being snarky, or trying to come across that way, but go rent (or steal from the internet) a copy of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Hopefully you will not just understand the joke, but come away laughing at one of the most incredibly funny movies of all time.

While you are at it, watch "Three Amigos" too. My hope is that someday a "Three Amigos" tee will surface, and I will wear it to shreds. I think TGentry could do a great clever take on it, or Walmazan could work his magic in making a wearable cartoon shirt.

But I am getting off topic. Go watch Monty Python!

Happy Beer.

loveengrey


quality posts: 5 Private Messages loveengrey
jabberjaws13 wrote:A great joke wasted on the youth.

I am not being snarky, or trying to come across that way, but go rent (or steal from the internet) a copy of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".

Hopefully you will not just understand the joke, but come away laughing at one of the most incredibly funny movies of all time.

While you are at it, watch "Three Amigos" too. My hope is that someday a "Three Amigos" tee will surface, and I will wear it to shreds. I think TGentry could do a great clever take on it, or Walmazan could work his magic in making a wearable cartoon shirt.

But I am getting off topic. Go watch Monty Python!


This post has my approval. A lot of my friends (aged early 20's) see the DVD of Holy Grail at my house and they're like, "What the heck is this?". Seriously, if you haven't seen it, go watch it and be open minded about the humor.

Oh and walmazan doing a Three Amigo's tee would brighten my day so much. His style would fit it so perfectly.

jabberjaws13


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
loveengrey wrote:This post has my approval. A lot of my friends (aged early 20's) see the DVD of Holy Grail at my house and they're like, "What the heck is this?". Seriously, if you haven't seen it, go watch it and be open minded about the humor.

Oh and walmazan doing a Three Amigo's tee would brighten my day so much. His style would fit it so perfectly.


I was actually hoping it would pop up during the "Three" derby, but I didn't want to jinx it by talking about it in case someone was doing it.

I really want to see how Wences does "El Guapo"! =)

Happy Beer.

loaba


quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba

This design is simple and well done. I love the colors and the placement. I would buy this shirt if it wins. Oh yeah, and it's not black or grey!

specsmachine


quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
jabberjaws13 wrote:I was actually hoping it would pop up during the "Three" derby...


It did: here and here.


artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


Wow! Thank you voters for all your nice comments and support. You are the best!

Yourkiddingright


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yourkiddingright
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


Sorry man, I like this shirt but similar shirts exist.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Yourkiddingright wrote:Sorry man, I like this shirt but similar shirts exist.


Other than both being Monty Python references they have zero in common. This one shows two failed ways a swallow might carry a coconut and then one way that's successful. The other one is a coconut next to a swallow with a bunch of text. They have a reference in common, but nothing else on a conceptual level.

Yourkiddingright


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yourkiddingright
tgentry wrote:Other than both being Monty Python references they have zero in common. This one shows two failed ways a swallow might carry a coconut and then one way that's successful. The other one is a coconut next to a swallow with a bunch of text. They have a reference in common, but nothing else on a conceptual level.


There's three links there, the first one is the closest to this design, it even uses the same text that this one uses for a shirt. The back image is the same concept with 2 birds string and a coconut. I'll post the images for quicker ref




Not saying he stole it, I think Artulo's ethics are above that, just that he referenced python and it's been done

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
tgentry wrote:Other than both being Monty Python references they have zero in common. This one shows two failed ways a swallow might carry a coconut and then one way that's successful. The other one is a coconut next to a swallow with a bunch of text. They have a reference in common, but nothing else on a conceptual level.


there are three different links to three different shirts, two of which have swallows carrying a coconut with a string. but i still agree with tgentry, all of these designs are taking their idea from a famous movie, so there arn't gonna be many ways to do it, this shirt does the same idea differently. What i find interesting is that it took this long for someone else to find those shirts and post them here, usually there are huge uproars about this sort of thing. ;)

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Yourkiddingright wrote:

Not saying he stole it, I think Artulo's ethics are above that, just that he referenced python and it's been done


It's still different enough from the versions posted above (I didn't notice that it was three links). It's basically a selection chart showing three different attempts at a swallow carrying a coconut, two of which failed, one of which succeeded. Those other versions might have a partial element there, but not the actual concept. In addition it visually encompasses the debate within the movie, which the others don't. His version hasn't been done (as far as I know), which is why it won't get rejected. Again, same reference, different concepts.

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

megsck wrote:there are three different links to three different shirts, two of which have swallows carrying a coconut with a string. but i still agree with tgentry, all of these designs are taking their idea from a famous movie, so there arn't gonna be many ways to do it, this shirt does the same idea differently. What i find interesting is that it took this long for someone else to find those shirts and post them here, usually there are huge uproars about this sort of thing. ;)


I imagine a lot of people probably DID scour the net to find this exact shirt, but didn't think anything was close enough to warrant posting. I'm sure there are a lot of Monty Python designs out there, including plenty of swallow/coconut themed ones. Like you said, it's all in how it's presented and what unique angle is taken on it.

LiliaRose


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LiliaRose

So very sweet, Artie. Love it. -- Lil

LOLcommunism


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism
Yourkiddingright wrote:There's three links there, the first one is the closest to this design, it even uses the same text that this one uses for a shirt. The back image is the same concept with 2 birds string and a coconut. I'll post the images for quicker ref




Not saying he stole it, I think Artulo's ethics are above that, just that he referenced python and it's been done


Oh snap.

Would you kindly...

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Yourkiddingright wrote:Sorry man, I like this shirt but similar shirts exist.


Your sleuthing is certainly appreciated, but I think were in the clear with this one. All the linked shirts certainly do reference the swallow/coconut portion of the movie, but I think mine takes it a little further.

Thanks to megsck and tgentry for supporting my design!

LOLcommunism


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LOLcommunism
artulo wrote:Your sleuthing is certainly appreciated, but I think were in the clear with this one. All the linked shirts certainly do reference the swallow/coconut portion of the movie, but I think mine takes it a little further.

Thanks to megsck and tgentry for supporting my design!


You could say the same about the schrodingers cat that got bizanned this week.

He took it WAAAAY FARTHER than DianaSprinkles's.

Just saying.

Would you kindly...

lovemedusa


quality posts: 4 Private Messages lovemedusa

imsochady


quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


All you need is a friend to get things done! Neat design!

shadowox8


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadowox8

sdkammer


quality posts: 30 Private Messages sdkammer
loveengrey wrote:This post has my approval. A lot of my friends (aged early 20's) see the DVD of Holy Grail at my house and they're like, "What the heck is this?". Seriously, if you haven't seen it, go watch it and be open minded about the humor.

Oh and walmazan doing a Three Amigo's tee would brighten my day so much. His style would fit it so perfectly.


Ummm...I was just quoting a meme for humor...thought that one was popular enough. I'm old enough to have watched Holy Grail on PBS with a B&W TV in my room when I was a kid.

This shirt GMV and I will stay up until Midnight Friday morning to get one.

viciousspike


quality posts: 2 Private Messages viciousspike
Re: a simple question of weight ratios (v2)


This ones an obvious winner. I mean, how could this fail? great choice of color too. Love it.

jabberjaws13


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
specsmachine wrote:It did: here and here.


i should have been clearer, i meant a walmazan "three amigos" tee.

Happy Beer.

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
LOLcommunism wrote:You could say the same about the schrodingers cat that got bizanned this week.

He took it WAAAAY FARTHER than DianaSprinkles's.

Just saying.


i agree if that one got rejected then this one should too.

jabberjaws13


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jabberjaws13
L3g3ndQ wrote:i agree if that one got rejected then this one should too.


schrodinger's cat was rejected because it was a similar concept to something woot had already printed, not because it was "similar shirts exist". maybe it's splitting hairs, but its not the same thing. woot has not printed a monty python coconut/swallow tee, therefore it is not the same thing. so stop using the "if _____ got rejected than this should too" line.

now let me buy this tee.

Happy Beer.

L3g3ndQ


quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
jabberjaws13 wrote:schrodinger's cat was rejected because it was a similar concept to something woot had already printed, not because it was "similar shirts exist". maybe it's splitting hairs, but its not the same thing. woot has not printed a monty python coconut/swallow tee, therefore it is not the same thing. so stop using the "if _____ got rejected than this should too" line.

now let me buy this tee.


ok well how bout this one should have been rejected for using text? either way it should have been rejected.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail