Derby #165: The Scientific Method
+331

Feline Intelligence

Feline Intelligence
add a comment

Comments

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Feline Intelligence


That's pretty creative and funny. I really like the illustration.

sogj


quality posts: 15 Private Messages sogj
Re: Feline Intelligence


Clever!!! And very well illustrated!!

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I don't know the answer.

penguinator27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages penguinator27

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes! I can haz this? I need this. Brilliant.

Draug


quality posts: 69 Private Messages Draug
Re: Feline Intelligence


He could have just asked Ceiling Cat to cut the string. lol

The enemy's gate is down.
Writers are people too! (Albeit strange ones.)
Save Poe! Reckon Nevermore! Or he'll be head-locked forevermore!

kc6201


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201
Re: Feline Intelligence


Not only is the one of the right smart, he's got super strength!

goldprodigy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldprodigy

Before I descend into my rant I must qualify my statement. I mean no offense to you as I haven't been on shirtwoot long enough to be familiar with anyone's work. That being said, I am disgusted by the shirtwoot community because by simply illustrating a cat,artists seem to instantaneously place in the top 15 shirts and likely gets his or her shirt printed, regardless of the minimal amount of thought going into the message of the shirt. Further more, all these internet references have been beaten to death and yet the simple minded shirtwoot community consistently vote them into the top 3.

alfbo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
goldprodigy wrote:Before I descend into my rant I must qualify my statement. I mean no offense to you as I haven't been on shirtwoot long enough to be familiar with anyone's work. That being said, I am disgusted by the shirtwoot community because by simply illustrating a cat,artists seem to instantaneously place in the top 15 shirts and likely gets his or her shirt printed, regardless of the minimal amount of thought going into the message of the shirt. Further more, all these internet references have been beaten to death and yet the simple minded shirtwoot community consistently vote them into the top 3.


It's because cats rule, and dogs drool. Get over it.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

clarinerd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
goldprodigy wrote:Before I descend into my rant I must qualify my statement. I mean no offense to you as I haven't been on shirtwoot long enough to be familiar with anyone's work. That being said, I am disgusted by the shirtwoot community because by simply illustrating a cat,artists seem to instantaneously place in the top 15 shirts and likely gets his or her shirt printed, regardless of the minimal amount of thought going into the message of the shirt. Further more, all these internet references have been beaten to death and yet the simple minded shirtwoot community consistently vote them into the top 3.


I think there's a bit more to it than just drawing a cat and getting votes. I could draw a cat and a cheeseburger and get relatively few votes because I am not a great artist. While this shirt only has two colors, there is a certain style to it which makes it worth voting for--and I'm not a cat lover, per se. All that being said, I know there must be a certain contingent of woot voters that only vote for fuzzy animal sirts, and I wish that weren't true.

viciousspike


quality posts: 2 Private Messages viciousspike
Re: Feline Intelligence


Yeah...I'm not sure why this has so many votes...

goldprodigy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldprodigy
alfbo wrote:It's because cats rule, and dogs drool. Get over it.


Thanks for the insight into the mind of this wonderful community.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
clarinerd wrote:I think there's a bit more to it than just drawing a cat and getting votes. I could draw a cat and a cheeseburger and get relatively few votes because I am not a great artist. While this shirt only has two colors, there is a certain style to it which makes it worth voting for--and I'm not a cat lover, per se. All that being said, I know there must be a certain contingent of woot voters that only vote for fuzzy animal sirts, and I wish that weren't true.


While what you say is true, a design with a cat has a much higher propensity to be fogged.

Moreover, I don't see the scientific method demonstrated in this design.

goldprodigy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldprodigy
Darquis wrote:While what you say is true, a design with a cat has a much higher propensity to be fogged.

Moreover, I don't see the scientific method demonstrated in this design.


Sure enough it's now in the fog; I'm losing faith in shirtwoot with each passing hour.

keelhaulkate


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keelhaulkate
Re: Feline Intelligence


love this alot!

runnerfrog13


quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: Feline Intelligence


Aside from the fact that cheezburgrz are done to death on the intertubes, I really do like the composition of this shirt. It draws the eye well - first to the pianos, then the inset cat, then the cheseburger (after wondering PWND! the cat is looking at), then the finished stack of pianos. Nice job with a single color, and the golden yellow is great on black. Well done, well done. I would buy it (mostly because I used to own a black cat who was FAR to sly for her own good).

On the other hand, I'm not sure I see what it has to do with the scientific method, so seems off-topic to me.

EDIT: I love the comment filter... who knew that w t f was spelled PWND!?

mafromm93


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mafromm93
Darquis wrote:While what you say is true, a design with a cat has a much higher propensity to be fogged.

Moreover, I don't see the scientific method demonstrated in this design.


Most shirts submitted fail to display the scientific method, most of the shirts currently in the fog fail to do this actually. That being said this one is somewhat pathetically one of the shirts closest to actually demonstrating the scientific method (assume somebody put the cat in the room to see what it would do).

Also, I do appreciate the attempt at making the i can haz cheezburger reference a little more subtle. It's not as in your face as say sabertooth can haz cheezburger.

runnerfrog13


quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
mafromm93 wrote:Most shirts submitted fail to display the scientific method, most of the shirts currently in the fog fail to do this actually. That being said this one is somewhat pathetically one of the shirts closest to actually demonstrating the scientific method (assume somebody put the cat in the room to see what it would do).

Also, I do appreciate the attempt at making the i can haz cheezburger reference a little more subtle. It's not as in your face as say sabertooth can haz cheezburger.


Agreed on both counts, it's nice the cheezburger reference is pretty subtle.

This shirt does remind me of the theory of Schroedinger's Cat... sortof. I mean, put a cat in a box and you can't check on him, is the cat alive or dead? Put a cat in a room... what will he do? (Though I always felt like Schroedinger's Cat was making fun of science using philosophy, myself....)

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
mafromm93 wrote:Most shirts submitted fail to display the scientific method, most of the shirts currently in the fog fail to do this actually. That being said this one is somewhat pathetically one of the shirts closest to actually demonstrating the scientific method (assume somebody put the cat in the room to see what it would do).

Also, I do appreciate the attempt at making the i can haz cheezburger reference a little more subtle. It's not as in your face as say sabertooth can haz cheezburger.


I do agree that most of the fog is lacking, and that this is closer than most entries..I guess I'm just once again disappointed by a science derby not having much to do with science.

BaldBob007


quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
Darquis wrote:I do agree that most of the fog is lacking, and that this is closer than most entries..I guess I'm just once again disappointed by a science derby not having much to do with science.


To be fair, woot did basically say that all you have to do to be on theme is slap something related to science on anything and offer a 1ame segue.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
BaldBob007 wrote:To be fair, woot did basically say that all you have to do to be on theme is slap something related to science on anything and offer a 1ame segue.


I did see that (and helped someone make a jokey entry based on that) but I really figured woot was joking.

Joking, right? Right? ...right?

Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: Feline Intelligence


I was assuming this shirt was a reference to the experiment on simian intelligence, in which they basically gave the monkeys a variety of things they could climb if assembled, and hung bananas from a string in the ceiling. Sure enough, the monkeys figured it out.

If I'm correct in thinking that's the reference, at least as far as theme goes this is more on-topic than pretty much everything in the fog at the moment, some of which seem to have mistaken this for a mathematical formula derby and the rest for a derby about showing the end result of the scientific method.

How come nobody's done a shirt on drylabbing? Now THAT would be funny...

kaitlinkf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaitlinkf
goldprodigy wrote:Sure enough it's now in the fog; I'm losing faith in shirtwoot with each passing hour.


Lighten up. Recently almost all of the derbies have included the rule against cute penguins, bunnies or kitties. And as others have said in this thread, this shirt has more to do with the scientific theory than a lot of those in the fog right now.
(Also, saying: hey, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, then immediately following it with a rant about how annoyed you are with shirt.woot designers and voters, doesn't work. That's the equivalent of getting to third base with someone of the same-sex then calling no-meat popsicle.)

Hammylink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
goldprodigy wrote:Sure enough it's now in the fog; I'm losing faith in shirtwoot with each passing hour.


GP: What faith are you referring to? Looks like you've never ponied up money for even a single shirt. This seems to be on topic enough as it portrays an experiment.

______________________________________________

Blenman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blenman
goldprodigy wrote:Before I descend into my rant I must qualify my statement. I mean no offense to you as I haven't been on shirtwoot long enough to be familiar with anyone's work. That being said, I am disgusted by the shirtwoot community because by simply illustrating a cat,artists seem to instantaneously place in the top 15 shirts and likely gets his or her shirt printed, regardless of the minimal amount of thought going into the message of the shirt. Further more, all these internet references have been beaten to death and yet the simple minded shirtwoot community consistently vote them into the top 3.


Who honestly takes this seriously enough to care? It's not like we're voting for the next world leader...

I like the vague icanhazcheezeburger reference. It took me a sec to figure it out. lol

P.S. I like the W00T encouragement: "
Yeah! You Tell `Em

You're not gonna sit there and let that jerkface get away with saying that, are you?
"

LOL (yeah, I'm new here!)

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
goldprodigy wrote:Before I descend into my rant I must qualify my statement. I mean no offense to you as I haven't been on shirtwoot long enough to be familiar with anyone's work. That being said, I am disgusted by the shirtwoot community because by simply illustrating a cat,artists seem to instantaneously place in the top 15 shirts and likely gets his or her shirt printed, regardless of the minimal amount of thought going into the message of the shirt. Further more, all these internet references have been beaten to death and yet the simple minded shirtwoot community consistently vote them into the top 3.


Hey, take a look at my crappy cat - not a prayer of placing anywhere in the top 20! I agree on the memes and stuff, but be a tetch more selective in your 'rant'. Sometimes, the 'cat' is right, sometimes trite and boring. Like a rabbit. Or a penguin. Or a dinosaur. Not every sub will be brilliant. Not every print will be brilliant. I live to hope some of the really awe.some also-rans will HM, EC, print elsewhere...
(Note to self - hit Lucky up on Threadless for that bitching Japanese movie monster tee!).

Sapherynth


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sapherynth
Re: Feline Intelligence


What is not shown is what occurs a few min later... Cat proceeds to yack up the cheezburger on the brand new area rug ;-D. Can I haz papurtowlz?

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail