Derby #165: The Scientific Method
+904

The Science of Twenty Sided Dice

The Science of Twenty Sided Dice
add a comment

Comments

graffd02


quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


Sorry about the quick re-sub... go ahead and re-vote if you need to, I had to fix a couple of things on the top equation.

The top equation is the basic probability of rolling a 20 sided dice (using binomial coefficient and combinations).

The bottom simple equation is the basic simplified formula to find the probability of rolling a double 20. (1 in 400)

1 color
on Chalkboard Green

JesseBYAH


quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
graffd02 wrote:Sorry about the quick re-sub... go ahead and re-vote if you need to, I had to fix a couple of things on the top equation.

The top equation is the basic probability of rolling a 20 sided dice (using binomial coefficient and combinations).

The bottom simple equation is the basic simplified formula to find the probability of rolling a double 20. (1 in 400)

1 color
on Chalkboard Green



Hey, just an idea- maybe put the dice in the thumbnail. It's so recognizeable that it might make more people click. Maybe.

This is otterific, though. Never played D&D but I can appreciate the concept here. Funny stuff :P

joshuajmasters


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshuajmasters
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I rolled a D20 and it decided that I LOVE this!

viciousspike


quality posts: 2 Private Messages viciousspike
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I want this soooo bad it hurts. Put the d20 in the thumbnail. get more votes. I want.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


This could also be called - How to make the world's geekiest thing even more geeky!

Maximum geekitude. Love it. ^_^

BaldBob007


quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I want to wear this shirt the next time I explore a dungeon. Why aren't you in the fog?!

graffd02


quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Spiritgreen wrote:This could also be called - How to make the world's geekiest thing even more geeky!

Maximum geekitude. Love it. ^_^


The world's geekiest thing... are we talking about DnD or Science/Math?... :D thanks

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


The dungeon master in me can't deny the awesomeness of this. A+ and +1 for you sir. (Thats about as much math as I can muster).


urbanbagowya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages urbanbagowya
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I can think of at least six people for whom I would buy this shirt for. Would be nice if I could roll for the damage an my wallet though.

karinaoi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages karinaoi
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I have posted this to my facebook in an attempt to get more people to vote for it! I must have it... and so do several other people I know that I'd probably order it for!

Be the change you want to see in the world.
~ Gandhi

graffd02


quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
karinaoi wrote:I have posted this to my facebook in an attempt to get more people to vote for it! I must have it... and so do several other people I know that I'd probably order it for!


your support is greatly appreciated!

tenieldjo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages tenieldjo
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I want this so badly it's unreal. Best of luck! +1

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

I was never a D&D type, but I love the simplicity in this and really like it. It would work with or without the dice whatchamacallit in it. The D&D part would prevent me from buying it, but in no way is that a critique. I hope this one prints.

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I love this so much! Thank you for creating this! yes, I am a geek.

solarhands


quality posts: 2 Private Messages solarhands
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice

Doesn't seem on topic IMO. No science, only probability. Even if there were science, certainly no scientific method.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen
graffd02 wrote:The world's geekiest thing... are we talking about DnD or Science/Math?... :D thanks


I've heard it both ways. :D

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
Spiritgreen wrote:I've heard it both ways. :D


No you haven't, Shawn. ;)

krazyloon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages krazyloon
solarhands wrote:Doesn't seem on topic IMO. No science, only probability. Even if there were science, certainly no scientific method.


The theory of probability is science...think the probability of genetics etc. They all go together.

rjohnson313


quality posts: 8 Private Messages rjohnson313
krazyloon wrote:The theory of probability is science...think the probability of genetics etc. They all go together.


You could make the argument that it's science, but I don't see how you can justify it as scientific method.

graffd02


quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
rjohnson313 wrote:You could make the argument that it's science, but I don't see how you can justify it as scientific method.


Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning. A scientific method consists of the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses.

(thanks Wikipedia!)

In everyday speech what I'm trying to say is is...

This shirt is about Forming a Hypothesis: "I can totally kill a dragon in ONE hit Booya!" gathering data through rolling dice and collecting that data. Then testing that hypothesis - "One hit kill - Snoochie Bootchies!"

That good enough of a case?

midgerock


quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
solarhands wrote:Doesn't seem on topic IMO. No science, only probability. Even if there were science, certainly no scientific method.


This week, show us your take on the Scientific Method. Maybe you'll attest to the value of repeatable results, show us an experiment in motion, or just cram a beaker onto a cute fuzzy animal design and say, "IT'S TOTALLY SCIENCE!


This is this artist's take on the scientific method. and may be used as an explanation for other designs which have been questioned as to being on theme or not. That's my 2 cents...

rjohnson313


quality posts: 8 Private Messages rjohnson313
graffd02 wrote:
In everyday speech what I'm trying to say is is...

This shirt is about Forming a Hypothesis: "I can totally kill a dragon in ONE hit Booya!" gathering data through rolling dice and collecting that data. Then testing that hypothesis - "One hit kill - Snoochie Bootchies!"

That good enough of a case?


Lol! Okay, you're convincing :-) Honestly, I'd rather this this shirt win than most that are fogging right now...

graffd02


quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
rjohnson313 wrote:Lol! Okay, you're convincing :-) Honestly, I'd rather this this shirt win than most that are fogging right now...


Thanks :D

unstickytape


quality posts: 0 Private Messages unstickytape
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I'm no DND buff, but this shirt is deliciously nerdy!

drgribb


quality posts: 4 Private Messages drgribb
graffd02 wrote:"One hit kill - Snoochie Bootchies!"


lol, great line. Congrats on hitting fog graff, you might finally get a print! My vote has been added to the tally

Ryuzaki


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ryuzaki
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I so hope this prints. I will be wearing it to my next Geekend (Geek Weekend) when we play D&D. I just hope wearing it improves my rolls.

urbanbagowya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages urbanbagowya
Ryuzaki wrote:I so hope this prints. I will be wearing it to my next Geekend (Geek Weekend) when we play D&D. I just hope wearing it improves my rolls.


We're geekending this weekend, not quite in your honor, but I bet it will help.

starkravingchristian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages starkravingchristian

Love this shirt!

guyjin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages guyjin

3 bags of awesomeisity -ness.

farkadenear


quality posts: 0 Private Messages farkadenear
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice



This totally needs to print. I would buy two at least.

pacalin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pacalin

johntaber


quality posts: 0 Private Messages johntaber
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


CRITICAL for sure! :D

vabanu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vabanu
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


Awsome shirt, I hope it prints.

FYI Wil Wheaton posted about your shirt on his blog, but I think that voting had ended already.

Great job on the shirt!

heatherrenea


quality posts: 0 Private Messages heatherrenea
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I want one I want one I want one!

bardolator


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

Wow--I really regret that I missed voting in the derby this week. I was never into D&D, but my brother and a lot of his friends were into *multiple* RPGs. I hope this prints--I'll be in for one for him (and maybe one for myself). GREAT idea!

Absolutcrobi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Absolutcrobi
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


This may be a stupid question for someone who has 15-20 woot shirts, but how the heck to i actually cast my vote?

sittle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sittle
Absolutcrobi wrote:This may be a stupid question for someone who has 15-20 woot shirts, but how the heck to i actually cast my vote?


You stop by before Thursday at 1 pm...

gooberpea


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gooberpea

Found this via @wilw...any chance it actually prints?

graffd02


quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
gooberpea wrote:Found this via @wilw...any chance it actually prints?


@wilw? you mean wil wheaton?

wil wheaton likes my shirt? holy crap!

Possibly the most otterific news I've heard all day...

docnielsen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages docnielsen
graffd02 wrote:@wilw? you mean wil wheaton?

wil wheaton likes my shirt? holy crap!

Possibly the most otterific news I've heard all day...


http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2010/09/rpg-nerdsthismath-nerds.html indeed indeed.

1) Print T-shirt
2) Make webshop
3) Sell !
5) Profit!!

xyike


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xyike

I love the shirt ... the die seems a little too large and prominent IMHO. Would have done better near the bottom somehow near the slaying. I hope it prints though.

mistershady


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistershady
graffd02 wrote:@wilw? you mean wil wheaton?

wil wheaton likes my shirt? holy crap!

Possibly the most otterific news I've heard all day...


Find a way to print it and we'll spread the word. If Wil posts the site to buy it from, you know you'll sell a decent amount.

I do have one suggestion though. Turn the die so the "20" is showing instead of the "18". :-)

alfbo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


Poor Trogdor. No more burniating for him.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

chibisabbath


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chibisabbath
Re: The Science of Twenty Sided Dice


I MUST HAVE THIS!

phraktyl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phraktyl
mistershady wrote:Find a way to print it and we'll spread the word. If Wil posts the site to buy it from, you know you'll sell a decent amount.

I do have one suggestion though. Turn the die so the "20" is showing instead of the "18". :-)


I like the 18.

More importantly, if you were to put this on Threadless or Zazzle or somewhere I'd definitely buy one. This is otterific!

smil3e


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smil3e
graffd02 wrote:@wilw? you mean wil wheaton?

wil wheaton likes my shirt? holy crap!

Possibly the most otterific news I've heard all day...


Well, I am not as many milliWheatons as cool, but I still want one of these shirts - any chance you will be printing elsewhere?

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail