Derby #169: Phobias
+59

Center of Attention

Center of Attention
add a comment

Comments

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: Center of Attention


When Gymnophobia and Gelotophobia collide.
The fear of nudity and the fear of being laughed at.

This poor little Weeble has both phobias, and since he refused to be nakie he's being forced to confront his other fear.

6 colors on Royal Blue.

sarah11


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarah11
sTyLeS wrote:When Gymnophobia and Gelotophobia collide.
The fear of nudity and the fear of being laughed at.

This poor little Weeble has both phobias, and since he refused to be nakie he's being forced to confront his other fear.

6 colors on Royal Blue.


Aww, the Weeble is a Never-Nude!

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Center of Attention


They look kind of like fingers, which creeps me out (in a good way). I dig it.


frik


quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik
sarah11 wrote:Aww, the Weeble is a Never-Nude!


hahahaha! never-nude.

No. Yes.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
BootsBoots wrote:They look kind of like fingers, which creeps me out (in a good way). I dig it.


I guess they do look like fleshy nubs.
After I've been staring at them for so long they started to look like brown chicken eggs to me.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: Center of Attention


Here are some detail pics:






Thanks for looking!

stingray69


quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
sTyLeS wrote:Here are some detail pics:

--snip--

Thanks for looking!


As I scrolled down your post I was worried you were going to give us a detail of the Weeble plumber guy.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
stingray69 wrote:As I scrolled down your post I was worried you were going to give us a detail of the Weeble plumber guy.


Believe me, I thought about it.
But figured the little glimpse you do get is good enough.

k8edid3


quality posts: 2 Private Messages k8edid3
Re: Center of Attention


i like that you used weeble wobbles in your illustration. brings back fond childhood memories.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
k8edid3 wrote:i like that you used weeble wobbles in your illustration. brings back fond childhood memories.


Thanks, k8edid3!
Weebles are most excellent.

Unfortunately I can't help but think my shirt is getting lost in the fold pretty quickly this time around. I'll try not to let it bother me and give it the weekend to see how it goes.

kirklandsigs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirklandsigs

Great design. I like to see your designs when you step out of your typical sphere.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
kirklandsigs wrote:Great design. I like to see your designs when you step out of your typical sphere.


Thanks so much! That's a really cool comment.

YinofYang


quality posts: 0 Private Messages YinofYang
Re: Center of Attention


Rofl! Oh, this is too funny. I keep thinking, fleshy eggs. Weird, but works really well. I also like the placement of everything. Very nice!

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
YinofYang wrote:Rofl! Oh, this is too funny. I keep thinking, fleshy eggs. Weird, but works really well. I also like the placement of everything. Very nice!


Thanks so much, YinofYang. I was giggling myself while I was drawing it.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Center of Attention


Nice details - the buttcrack on the one, tag up on the other. Nice work!

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
paigeg wrote:Nice details - the buttcrack on the one, tag up on the other. Nice work!


Thanks for the comment, Paige!

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: Center of Attention


Ok, I have a request. Don't worry, it's not a plea for votes, but rather a plea for comments/suggestions.
See, I personally thought the execution on this particular shirt was better than my previous designs, but obviously based on my current rank (42nd place) that must not be the case.
So, is it the content itself that makes it unwearable (half-nekkid weebles)? Is the execution itself really more off than I thought it was? Color choice, shading?

Seriously, I really am looking for some honest and decent critique so that I can learn from this one and move on and hopefully apply some of that to the next one.
Anyone?
Thanks.

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
sTyLeS wrote:Ok, I have a request. Don't worry, it's not a plea for votes, but rather a plea for comments/suggestions.
See, I personally thought the execution on this particular shirt was better than my previous designs, but obviously based on my current rank (42nd place) that must not be the case.
So, is it the content itself that makes it unwearable (half-nekkid weebles)? Is the execution itself really more off than I thought it was? Color choice, shading?

Seriously, I really am looking for some honest and decent critique so that I can learn from this one and move on and hopefully apply some of that to the next one.
Anyone?
Thanks.


Class? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

bakbam


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bakbam
Re: Center of Attention


I think you are spot on. This depicts the phobia and is one of the few shirts that needs no explaination. If I could vote more than one time I would this deserves a much higher following.

I would wear it!

rjohnson313


quality posts: 8 Private Messages rjohnson313
sTyLeS wrote:Ok, I have a request. Don't worry, it's not a plea for votes, but rather a plea for comments/suggestions.


I really like this! The thumbnail itself didn't draw my attention... the flesh color threw me off I think. The reason I clicked is that I saw your name attached to it and I usually respect your comments in the forums so I was interested in seeing your design. You're clearly a talented artist and I like the style, shading... overall really good job imo.

They do look a lot like eggs. I wouldn't have known they were weebles if I hadn't seen it in the thread.

Personally, I think it's funny! I even thought it was funny when I thought they were eggs. Maybe some people don't "get it"? Why would weebles be in underwear, not seeing an association between weebles and clothes, I don't know... Looking back on the nude cupcake shirt, for example, the joke is funnier bc of the wrapper being seen as clothing, but there's not that same kind of association with weebles. I don't know if this is making any sense or at all helpful as it's pure speculation on how others potentially feel but I wanted to give you something! :-)

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
rjohnson313 wrote:I really like this! The thumbnail itself didn't draw my attention... the flesh color threw me off I think. The reason I clicked is that I saw your name attached to it and I usually respect your comments in the forums so I was interested in seeing your design. You're clearly a talented artist and I like the style, shading... overall really good job imo.

They do look a lot like eggs. I wouldn't have known they were weebles if I hadn't seen it in the thread.

Personally, I think it's funny! I even thought it was funny when I thought they were eggs. Maybe some people don't "get it"? Why would weebles be in underwear, not seeing an association between weebles and clothes, I don't know... Looking back on the nude cupcake shirt, for example, the joke is funnier bc of the wrapper being seen as clothing, but there's not that same kind of association with weebles. I don't know if this is making any sense or at all helpful as it's pure speculation on how others potentially feel but I wanted to give you something! :-)


Thanks, rjohnson. So perhaps just the Weeble association itself is lost?
Yeah, I was worried about that. I wanted to make them all nekkid, but wasn't sure how to do that without getting rejected. I did have one showing his butt, but got comments in the pre-derby thread saying that'd probably get the hammer brought down because of it, so I put undies on him too.
But in retrospect, since they are toys, I guess I could have made them all completely nakie and just left them all shiny and smooth.

And perhaps putting that solid colored hemisphere on the bottom which is the Weeble's counterweight would have made them more identifiable?

Thanks for the comments.

frik


quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik
sTyLeS wrote:Thanks, rjohnson. So perhaps just the Weeble association itself is lost?
Yeah, I was worried about that. I wanted to make them all nekkid, but wasn't sure how to do that without getting rejected. I did have one showing his butt, but got comments in the pre-derby thread saying that'd probably get the hammer brought down because of it, so I put undies on him too.
But in retrospect, since they are toys, I guess I could have made them all completely nakie and just left them all shiny and smooth.

And perhaps putting that solid colored hemisphere on the bottom which is the Weeble's counterweight would have made them more identifiable?

Thanks for the comments.



I wondered the same myself, styles. A couple of things I notice for us n00bs is that we are really confined by that first detail image. A lot of the repeat successful folks have a following and will get people looking for their entries. Us nobodies depend on many factors that come into play. I thought my entry this week would surely see a solid top 50 finish and push 80 even 100 votes. However, as I look at the overall voting, the folks not even near the top 15 or so really don't have many votes compared to other derbies. I think it comes down to this, you keep chugging and putting out entries, sort of like covering your eyes and throwing darts at the dart board. If you are inherently talented enough, you are bound to hit the board. And despite talent, you still have a CHANCE at hitting the board. Ultimately though, I think we're still fighting an uphill battle, so good luck.

No. Yes.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail