Derby #169: Phobias

The Fear Of 7

We did a similar shirt

Rejected because: We did a similar shirt

add a comment

Comments

jwaal


quality posts: 25 Private Messages jwaal
Re: The Fear Of 7


Ah. 7 8 9. Seven ate nine.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Re: The Fear Of 7


I don't think your text is really incidental. How much sense does it make if you remove the numbers?

dmilton


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmilton
yankeebird wrote:I don't think your text is really incidental. How much sense does it make if you remove the numbers?


Well It would make no sense... if you remove 95% of any shirt the context disappears. However, the numbers 6 7 8 & 9 aren't non-incidental text. They are not used as text at all. I have used them as characters on the shirt. Thats why I gave them features like eyes and eye brows.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
dmilton wrote:Well It would make no sense... if you remove 95% of any shirt the context disappears. However, the numbers 6 7 8 & 9 aren't non-incidental text. They are not used as text at all. I have used them as characters on the shirt. Thats why I gave them features like eyes and eye brows.


Unfortunately, HOW you're using them doesn't really matter. They are on your computer keyboard, so they are considered text.

For example: this week's rules also say "no hippopotami". If I were to draw some hippopotami wearing hats and say they're hat racks... well, they're still hippopotami. Your numbers are still numbers and therefore text.

I'm just warning you that your design is rejectable - if it doesn't get rejected, it's not because I'm wrong - it's a lazy rejectionator. There's other designs with non-incidental text that haven't been hit by the rejectohammer yet either.

zphere


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zphere
yankeebird wrote:Unfortunately, HOW you're using them doesn't really matter. They are on your computer keyboard, so they are considered text.

For example: this week's rules also say "no hippopotami". If I were to draw some hippopotami wearing hats and say they're hat racks... well, they're still hippopotami. Your numbers are still numbers and therefore text.

I'm just warning you that your design is rejectable - if it doesn't get rejected, it's not because I'm wrong - it's a lazy rejectionator. There's other designs with non-incidental text that haven't been hit by the rejectohammer yet either.


The rules don't say anything about no symbols. Plenty of non-banned shirts have arrows, i happen to have arrows on my keyboard, !@#$%^&*() each make an appearance.

The heart of the "no non-incidental text" rule is that they don't want someone to make shirts that rely on reading it to "get it". if this shirt said, "six is afraid of seven because seven eight nine." then it would be banned. having the 6,7,8,9 as cartoon characters makes them not text.

Your argument is that if someone drew dracula drinking soup, that since dracula is a word, that his picture is also text, and needs to be banned.

macarletta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages macarletta
Re: The Fear Of 7


Cute shirt - I like it!

ice235man


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ice235man
Re: The Fear Of 7


I like it!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
zphere wrote:The rules don't say anything about no symbols. Plenty of non-banned shirts have arrows, i happen to have arrows on my keyboard, !@#$%^&*() each make an appearance.

The heart of the "no non-incidental text" rule is that they don't want someone to make shirts that rely on reading it to "get it". if this shirt said, "six is afraid of seven because seven eight nine." then it would be banned. having the 6,7,8,9 as cartoon characters makes them not text.

Your argument is that if someone drew dracula drinking soup, that since dracula is a word, that his picture is also text, and needs to be banned.


Unfortunately, you are incorrect. Whether woot will enforce its rules or not is a different story. But woot considers anything on your key board including slashes, punctuation, asterisks, etc. text. You can argue all you want, but there have been LOTS of shirts that have been rejected because of this. However, there have been plenty of shirts that have gotten away with breaking rules so...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

trekmiss


quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss
kylemittskus wrote:Unfortunately, you are incorrect. Whether woot will enforce its rules or not is a different story. But woot considers anything on your key board including slashes, punctuation, asterisks, etc. text. You can argue all you want, but there have been LOTS of shirts that have been rejected because of this. However, there have been plenty of shirts that have gotten away with breaking rules so...


I'm afraid we are going to start seeing more of the excuse "they're characters, not text" because of this shirt which was allowed last week for that exact excuse, even though the same shirt was rejected the year before because the text was not incidental.

Just like children, it seems that many artists here like to get as close to the line as they can instead of just following the rules that have been set. Unfortunately, the inconsistency of woot actually enforcing their own rules has made the line so fuzzy, people think they line doesn't exist at all, or doesn't apply to them. I work with children and see this kind of reasoning all the time. "Why can't I use text? Johnny used text!" The only way to stop it is if woot would be consistent, because it appears that playing by the rules, no matter what anyone else does, is a thing of the past!

Maybe I'm just getting too old...

dmilton


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmilton
trekmiss wrote:I'm afraid we are going to start seeing more of the excuse "they're characters, not text" because of this shirt which was allowed last week for that exact excuse, even though the same shirt was rejected the year before because the text was not incidental.

Just like children, it seems that many artists here like to get as close to the line as they can instead of just following the rules that have been set. Unfortunately, the inconsistency of woot actually enforcing their own rules has made the line so fuzzy, people think they line doesn't exist at all, or doesn't apply to them. I work with children and see this kind of reasoning all the time. "Why can't I use text? Johnny used text!" The only way to stop it is if woot would be consistent, because it appears that playing by the rules, no matter what anyone else does, is a thing of the past!

Maybe I'm just getting too old...


I'm really sorry to be causing such conflict with my shirt design. And I agree it is hard to know where the line is because woot doesn't enforce their rules. I honestly do believe my text is allowed because of the shirt that you linked, not because I am trying to walk the line as a rule breaker.

All I am trying to do is make a cute and funny shirt, not push people's buttons.

zphere


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zphere
trekmiss wrote:I'm afraid we are going to start seeing more of the excuse "they're characters, not text" because of this shirt which was allowed last week for that exact excuse, even though the same shirt was rejected the year before because the text was not incidental.

Just like children, it seems that many artists here like to get as close to the line as they can instead of just following the rules that have been set. Unfortunately, the inconsistency of woot actually enforcing their own rules has made the line so fuzzy, people think they line doesn't exist at all, or doesn't apply to them. I work with children and see this kind of reasoning all the time. "Why can't I use text? Johnny used text!" The only way to stop it is if woot would be consistent, because it appears that playing by the rules, no matter what anyone else does, is a thing of the past!

Maybe I'm just getting too old...



Art has always challenged the rules, woot shirt is no different. With vague rules comes vague submissions. What is text? When is a symbol considered text and when is it considered art? Woot has been very clear recently about banning shirts that contain WORDS that are NEEDED to convey the message of the shirt.

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
zphere wrote:
Your argument is that if someone drew dracula drinking soup, that since dracula is a word, that his picture is also text, and needs to be banned.


No, my argument is that if the rules said "No Dracula" or "No soup", what you suggested would be rejectable. However, the numbers 6, 7, 8, and 9 are text. Even with eyes and noses, that violates this week's "No incidental text" rule. Incidental text is something like the word "Stop" on a stop sign in the background, or a dollar sign on a piece of money. Its inclusion or absence doesn't dramatically alter the meaning of the piece. If you remove the numbers here, the piece obviously is completely different. This is rejectable. Whether it will or not is a different story.

dmilton wrote:I honestly do believe my text is allowed because of the shirt that you linked...


Try not to get into the habit of using other pieces' non-rejected status to justify your piece being OK. Many times, the alternate piece you're using is rejection-worthy as well. That is the case here. The linked design should be rejected because that is not incidental text (as it was last year).

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail