Derby #169: Phobias

Trendyteephobia

You should drawn an actual shirt and leave the personal attacks to the forum.

Rejected because: You should drawn an actual shirt and leave the personal attacks to the forum.

add a comment

Comments

melquam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
Who will take a stand for the shirts? Do they not have a voice?!? If you put ink on them do they not bleed?!? Vote, people!!! Do it for the shirts... the poor, poor shirts!!!

Re: Trendyteephobia

elchangoblanco


quality posts: 0 Private Messages elchangoblanco

Too funny. +1
Another silly trend (not a woot problem) is clothing that looks like it's been tattooed, like Affliction shirts.

kate1188


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kate1188
melquam wrote:Who will take a stand for the shirts? Do they not have a voice?!? If you put ink on them do they not bleed?!? Vote, people!!! Do it for the shirts... the poor, poor shirts!!!


I really like how this turned out! I will take a stand for the shirts! +1

jupilberry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry

melquam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam

@elchangoblanco - I was considering adding a thorny spiky flowery design monster too, but decided against it.

@kate1188 - Thanks! It's already doing better than last week's submission. I think my downfall on this one is it being on a white shirt. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be in the fog :P

@jupilberry- Thanks!

wolfwoodxlv


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfwoodxlv
melquam wrote:@kate1188 - Thanks! It's already doing better than last week's submission. I think my downfall on this one is it being on a white shirt. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be in the fog :P


Makes for good effect with the red paint!

melquam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
wolfwoodxlv wrote:Makes for good effect with the red paint!


That's what I thought too. But so far, only 26 other people agree. Thanks 26 other people!!!

emberisle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages emberisle
melquam wrote:That's what I thought too. But so far, only 26 other people agree. Thanks 26 other people!!!


I'm 27! I think it's a riot

kate1188


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kate1188
Re: Trendyteephobia


Rejected because: You should drawn an actual shirt and leave the personal attacks to the forum.

You should drawn? What does that even mean? One more time in english please.

melquam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
Re: Rejected because: You should drawn an actual shirt and leave the personal attacks to the forum.


I'm not sure what is meant by personal attacks outside of the forums. My concept was my rendition of seemingly popular subjects of shirt designs and looking at it from the shirt's point of view. For a site that is so tongue in cheek, I'm surprised it was viewed as an attack. Especially since I own about 30 said fluffy critter type Woot! shirts.

Does this rejection have anything to do with the comment I posted earlier in the day?

I'm a little agitated because I am not a professional artist, but I drew this from scratch (no reference images), I have mediocre photoshop skills, and it took me about 8 hours to make this. I think that's as "actual" as it gets.

I think that if this were an attack on anyone, or if it were interpreted as an attack, there would have been more buzz about it. There wasn't even one comment that eluded to it.

This is only my second submission ever, so I'm not sure if it's even right to plead my case here. If there is a governing body that reads this, I ask that you reconsider. Or at least not make it sound like I'm a bad person. That rejection comment seems very unWootish.

wolfwoodxlv


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfwoodxlv
melquam wrote:I'm not sure what is meant by personal attacks outside of the forums. My concept was my rendition of seemingly popular subjects of shirt designs and looking at it from the shirt's point of view. For a site that is so tongue in cheek, I'm surprised it was viewed as an attack. Especially since I own about 30 said fluffy critter type Woot! shirts.

Does this rejection have anything to do with the comment I posted earlier in the day?

I'm a little agitated because I am not a professional artist, but I drew this from scratch (no reference images), I have mediocre photoshop skills, and it took me about 8 hours to make this. I think that's as "actual" as it gets.

I think that if this were an attack on anyone, or if it were interpreted as an attack, there would have been more buzz about it. There wasn't even one comment that eluded to it.

This is only my second submission ever, so I'm not sure if it's even right to plead my case here. If there is a governing body that reads this, I ask that you reconsider. Or at least not make it sound like I'm a bad person. That rejection comment seems very unWootish.


Wow. Poor English in the rejection and it makes it sound like you didn't draw it. Apparently you have super powers that make fluffy characters come alive and reform in new unique ways on new creative shirts.

Setzer13


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Setzer13

I like the shirt. Sorry it was rejected. The rejection doesn't even make sense. I think woot is wrong on this one.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
melquam wrote:I'm not sure what is meant by personal attacks outside of the forums. My concept was my rendition of seemingly popular subjects of shirt designs and looking at it from the shirt's point of view. For a site that is so tongue in cheek, I'm surprised it was viewed as an attack. Especially since I own about 30 said fluffy critter type Woot! shirts.

Does this rejection have anything to do with the comment I posted earlier in the day?

I'm a little agitated because I am not a professional artist, but I drew this from scratch (no reference images), I have mediocre photoshop skills, and it took me about 8 hours to make this. I think that's as "actual" as it gets.

I think that if this were an attack on anyone, or if it were interpreted as an attack, there would have been more buzz about it. There wasn't even one comment that eluded to it.

This is only my second submission ever, so I'm not sure if it's even right to plead my case here. If there is a governing body that reads this, I ask that you reconsider. Or at least not make it sound like I'm a bad person. That rejection comment seems very unWootish.


Your shirt is obviously a reference to the Ramy/Seki war, and even specifically references Ramy's halloween entry this year and Seki's penguin shirt on the Reckoning.

Without that woot reference context your design is basically meaningless.

Nice work playing the victim though, Ramy/Seki are really good at that too.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

melquam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
bluetuba wrote:Your shirt is obviously a reference to the Ramy/Seki war, and even specifically references Ramy's halloween entry this year and Seki's penguin shirt on the Reckoning.

Without that woot reference context your design is basically meaningless.

Nice work playing the victim though, Ramy/Seki are really good at that too.


My shirt references those characters because death and bunnies with blood on them are recurring themes and characters that I see on this site just like cats, smiley vegetables, and fluffy squirrels (I added the bunny slippers just for fun.) Honestly, I didn't even look at who drew what penguin.

I've been wooting since 2007, and decided to submit designs because I thought it would be fun, not to attack people. That may be hard to believe since I made a comment on RamyB's Fear of the Dark submission today, but that had to do with being on theme, not their artwork. Oh and I don't even know who Seki is.

I guess you can believe what you want, and ultimately it doesn't matter because it is what it is, and I wasn't going to win anyway. It just takes a bit of the fun out of participating in something that I would otherwise enjoy.

If my shirt was rejected because they thought that it wasn't an acceptable representation of what I saw being printed I could maybe understand the rejection. But to say that I singled one person out and attacked them is not only inaccurate, but not very nice. I own that person's shirts for crying out loud!

Not playing the victim, my friend. Just saying that I wouldn't waste 8 hours of my time drawing something intended to hurt someone's feelings. Especially someone I don't know.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
melquam wrote:My shirt references those characters because death and bunnies with blood on them are recurring themes and characters that I see on this site just like cats, smiley vegetables, and fluffy squirrels (I added the bunny slippers just for fun.) Honestly, I didn't even look at who drew what penguin.

I've been wooting since 2007, and decided to submit designs because I thought it would be fun, not to attack people. That may be hard to believe since I made a comment on RamyB's Fear of the Dark submission today, but that had to do with being on theme, not their artwork. Oh and I don't even know who Seki is.

I guess you can believe what you want, and ultimately it doesn't matter because it is what it is, and I wasn't going to win anyway. It just takes a bit of the fun out of participating in something that I would otherwise enjoy.

If my shirt was rejected because they thought that it wasn't an acceptable representation of what I saw being printed I could maybe understand the rejection. But to say that I singled one person out and attacked them is not only inaccurate, but not very nice. I own that person's shirts for crying out loud!

Not playing the victim, my friend. Just saying that I wouldn't waste 8 hours of my time drawing something intended to hurt someone's feelings. Especially someone I don't know.


Well if you honestly don't get it, I think the rejection was because it appears you are mocking the people who criticize all the cute shirts in the derby, and given the reaper/bloody bunny Ramy entry was just last week, and the penguin is perhaps Seki's (his partner in crime) best known shirt it looks pretty clearly to be in defense of Ramy.

This isn't a valid subject for a shirt in the derby, and Woot will reject ANYTHING that has anything to do with Woot, the forum, the derby, any users, anything like that at all.

So, while the rejection message telling you to knock of the personal attack might offend you, the fact is that it's a woot reference and that will always get rejected.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

melquam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
bluetuba wrote:I think the rejection was because it appears you are mocking the people who criticize all the cute shirts in the derby, and given the reaper/bloody bunny Ramy entry was just last week, and the penguin is perhaps Seki's (his partner in crime) best known shirt it looks pretty clearly to be in defense of Ramy.


Wait... what?? I thought I was being knocked for attacking RamyB. Now you're saying the shirt is in defense of Ramy?

I think the only thing that's clear here is there seems to be some politics that my shirt happened to get involved with that I really have nothing to do with.

I'm not against fluffy critters, or any artwork by any particular artist. Sorry if my shirt rubbed people the wrong way.

I'm not a complete ignoramus to not know that woot references get rejected. In fact, if they said that, it would make more sense. I interpreted it as drawing Bucket of Candy's or using their logo. Not a representation of the types of shirts I see getting printed.

rjohnson313


quality posts: 8 Private Messages rjohnson313
melquam wrote:
I'm not a complete ignoramus to not know that woot references get rejected. In fact, if they said that, it would make more sense.


FWIW, I thought your shirt was really funny, it made me laugh... and you do have obvious creative skills and drawing ability, so don't stop submitting :-) I didn't see it as defending Ramyb, don't know how anyone got that idea?

I also thought the rejectionator was pretty harsh... I could see a rejection based on what you stated above but the given reasoning behind the rejection seemed to be a personal attack on you which sucks.

emccall3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages emccall3
Re: Trendyteephobia


The rejection for the other reasons mentioned is probably legit, but I was so looking forward to wearing this shirt.

melquam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages melquam
Re: Trendyteephobia


Thanks for the support. Too bad, so sad for me. I'll try again next derby. I smell a resub in the making.

Just kidding.

jodiehuie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodiehuie
Re: Trendyteephobia


Too bad Woot doesn't appreciate the humor. I like it and would have bought one.

gina1221


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gina1221
jodiehuie wrote:Too bad Woot doesn't appreciate the humor. I like it and would have bought one.


I agree. It was one of my favorite subs for the derby.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail