Derby #180: Complementary Colors
+86

Draconic Nox

Draconic Nox
add a comment

Comments

hashimotoyoshio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashimotoyoshio
Re: Draconic Nox


I had a lot of fun making this. I wanted to create a little scene with a samurai and dragon in the dark with a small glow. It's all halftone shading. I think it turned out really well. Tell me what you think, what you like and don't like.

zwartepaard


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zwartepaard
hashimotoyoshio wrote:I had a lot of fun making this. I wanted to create a little scene with a samurai and dragon in the dark with a small glow. It's all halftone shading. I think it turned out really well. Tell me what you think, what you like and don't like.


This is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could see a bit more detail in the dragon's face, but the halftone work is beautiful. GMV!

chaseathompson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaseathompson
Re: Draconic Nox
Love it!

mindslashed


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mindslashed
hashimotoyoshio wrote:I had a lot of fun making this. I wanted to create a little scene with a samurai and dragon in the dark with a small glow. It's all halftone shading. I think it turned out really well. Tell me what you think, what you like and don't like.


I think the important part is you had fun making it.

evilaelf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilaelf
Re: Draconic Nox


If this won, I would feel funny wearing it. I would want to tack it up on my wall or something! Gorgeous!

hashimotoyoshio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashimotoyoshio
evilaelf wrote:If this won, I would feel funny wearing it. I would want to tack it up on my wall or something! Gorgeous!


It's on deviant art. You could order a print... Also, no really, Art is Art - or so I thought. What does woot people feel is "wearable" qualities that they would like to see. Since I'm creating for an audience, I want to know what people like to wear on T-shirts. Not just have as art, to hang on the wall like you say. Thank you by the way.

manikx66


quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66
Re: Yin Yang YOUCH!!!


I have to say I am really surprised you do not have more votes on this

hashimotoyoshio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashimotoyoshio
manikx66 wrote:I have to say I am really surprised you do not have more votes on this


Really? I was kinda thinking that too. I've learned a few tricks since I made it, I'll rework some of the coloring and use it again sometime. Perhaps the color shading for the glow isn't to some peoples liking. Or that they don't click on it because the thumbnail doesn't draw them in... But thanx for the compliment! I needs them, they sustain me.

manikx66


quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66
hashimotoyoshio wrote:Really? I was kinda thinking that too. I've learned a few tricks since I made it, I'll rework some of the coloring and use it again sometime. Perhaps the color shading for the glow isn't to some peoples liking. Or that they don't click on it because the thumbnail doesn't draw them in... But thanx for the compliment! I needs them, they sustain me.



hashimotoyoshio wrote:Really? I was kinda thinking that too. I've learned a few tricks since I made it, I'll rework some of the coloring and use it again sometime. Perhaps the color shading for the glow isn't to some peoples liking. Or that they don't click on it because the thumbnail doesn't draw them in... But thanx for the compliment! I needs them, they sustain me.


haha i know the feeling i usually do something pretty basic because of time restrictions to work on things. but when i come up with what i think is a good idea and no one votes on it its a real bummer. its good work keep it up. My only suggestion to improve this one would be to lighten the blue up a shade or two. i think people might just be afraid that it will be to dark to see on a black shirt. besides tht i dont think anything else needs to be worked on

hashimotoyoshio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashimotoyoshio
manikx66 wrote:haha i know the feeling i usually do something pretty basic because of time restrictions to work on things. but when i come up with what i think is a good idea and no one votes on it its a real bummer. its good work keep it up. My only suggestion to improve this one would be to lighten the blue up a shade or two. i think people might just be afraid that it will be to dark to see on a black shirt. besides tht i dont think anything else needs to be worked on


thanks man. I'll see about doing that when I retouch it up. It'll be super easy, the blue is on one layer as a solid fill...

BrysonReb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrysonReb

I think it looks awesome, and I also agree that more detail in the dragon would be cool. My only issue was that I still stare at the person and think..."Is that a topless girl?" If he had a manlier torso I would totally wear this.

virgquest


quality posts: 0 Private Messages virgquest
BrysonReb wrote:I think it looks awesome, and I also agree that more detail in the dragon would be cool. My only issue was that I still stare at the person and think..."Is that a topless girl?" If he had a manlier torso I would totally wear this.


That's a guy? I totally saw a girl, didn't even realize she wasn't wearing a shirt.

stayplace


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stayplace
Re: Draconic Nox


the face is deceivingly feminine, perhaps its the hair? Also, something lightly bothers me about it as a shirt, nothing about the design, I think it might be the color shirt you have it on. Maybe it would work better on a dark blue than a black? Its really quite nice but I think it has some tweaking to do before it's a t-shirt.

hashimotoyoshio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashimotoyoshio
stayplace wrote:the face is deceivingly feminine, perhaps its the hair? Also, something lightly bothers me about it as a shirt, nothing about the design, I think it might be the color shirt you have it on. Maybe it would work better on a dark blue than a black? Its really quite nice but I think it has some tweaking to do before it's a t-shirt.


Yees.. THis could use a bit of work. Get it better. The lighting effect detracted from the detail, because I didn't have a good method for making the halftones. I do now. It should be apparent that it's a guy. I did draw a fairly effeminate style of hair...

I do appreciate the critiques. I've been absent from an art pad for quite a few years that I seem to have lost touch with some of my artistic insight. I soak up every suggestion I get. Thank you.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail