Derby #182: Fire
+34

Flame Keeper

Flame Keeper
add a comment

Comments

penthus


quality posts: 3 Private Messages penthus
Re: Flame Keeper


My first derby entry. Six colors on red.

hashimotoyoshio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashimotoyoshio
Re: Flame Keeper


I like your style, Good form, nice eye for anatomy. Good stuff.

penthus


quality posts: 3 Private Messages penthus
hashimotoyoshio wrote:I like your style, Good form, nice eye for anatomy. Good stuff.


Thank you! I was thinking about doing some shading or highlighting (for some reason, I can't get halftones to work right, I fought with it for hours with no success), but I sort of liked it as it was.

Any tips/suggestions are welcome!

uniique


quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
Re: Flame Keeper


welcome to the derby, penthus! pretty nice work. looking at it makes me invent stories. +1

hashimotoyoshio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hashimotoyoshio
penthus wrote:Thank you! I was thinking about doing some shading or highlighting (for some reason, I can't get halftones to work right, I fought with it for hours with no success), but I sort of liked it as it was.

Any tips/suggestions are welcome!


scour youtube for tutorials on halftones. Basically you have a single layer that you want to make into a halftone. the program I use is Photoshop cs3. So What you need to do with it if you are using that is duplicate the image, so you have a spare you are working with, delete all of the layers except the one that you want to make into halftones. Convert to grayscale. Lock transparency and fill with black as your primary color, this will make certain the halftone is as strong as you need it. by locking the transparency then you only effect what is actually drawn on the layer. Filling with black will make the halftone turn out right. Then convert to bitmap 30 lpi There you have your halftone. Convert back to grayscale (this is important) Then go to your channels and take the "gray" channel and pull it over to your other document that you started in. you will have an alpha channel now that you can "select" the halftone with. Do that and then fill again this time with the solid color that you want to use for halftone and there you have it. Half tone.

starlght25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages starlght25
uniique wrote:welcome to the derby, penthus! pretty nice work. looking at it makes me invent stories. +1


My thoughts exactly Great job on your first entry--keep it up! I'd love to see more. Good luck!

penthus


quality posts: 3 Private Messages penthus
hashimotoyoshio wrote:scour youtube for tutorials on halftones. Basically you have a single layer that you want to make into a halftone. the program I use is Photoshop cs3. So What you need to do with it if you are using that is duplicate the image, so you have a spare you are working with, delete all of the layers except the one that you want to make into halftones. Convert to grayscale. Lock transparency and fill with black as your primary color, this will make certain the halftone is as strong as you need it. by locking the transparency then you only effect what is actually drawn on the layer. Filling with black will make the halftone turn out right. Then convert to bitmap 30 lpi There you have your halftone. Convert back to grayscale (this is important) Then go to your channels and take the "gray" channel and pull it over to your other document that you started in. you will have an alpha channel now that you can "select" the halftone with. Do that and then fill again this time with the solid color that you want to use for halftone and there you have it. Half tone.


I guess that's where my problem lies. Haha. I have Photoshop Elements 6, so I'm missing one of the the key tools there: channels. But thank you! I can at least toy with some of that and see what I can manage. :3

If nothing else, I can cel shade.

penthus


quality posts: 3 Private Messages penthus
starlght25 wrote:My thoughts exactly Great job on your first entry--keep it up! I'd love to see more. Good luck!


Thank you! As well to Uniique. :D It's really encouraging, truly.

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Flame Keeper


Your use of shape and color are excellent, but placement just feels odd to me.

Welcome to the shirt.woot derby. Looking forward to seeing your future entries.

Good Luck!

P.S.: You may want to check out the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP for short). It's an open source photoshop clone. It has a very versatile halftoning system. http://www.gimp.org

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail