Derby #184: India
+570

Henna in a Half Shell

Henna in a Half Shell
add a comment

Comments

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


I knew I'd end up doing something with henna, but this just seemed right. I personally LOVE the ninja turtles!

3 Colors. Enjoy!

moonqueen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages moonqueen
nblottie wrote:I knew I'd end up doing something with henna, but this just seemed right. I personally LOVE the ninja turtles!

3 Colors. Enjoy!


One more gargleblaster i love it! Must have!!!!

I may seem insane in your mind, but I assure you, this is all quite real... Only those worthy to see my awsomeness can see what's happening infront of them.

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


Here's a larger view for those who are interested in the details. Make sure you check out the weapon drips at the bottom!

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: Henna in a Half Shell

Big +1 from me. Excellent job.
If I still had a Donatello costume like I did when I was a kid, I'd wear it today.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


Respects on the illo.
Henna is brown.

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
profbrendan wrote:Big +1 from me. Excellent job.
If I still had a Donatello costume like I did when I was a kid, I'd wear it today.


Awesome, thanks.

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


100 Votes in less than 24 hours. Thank you so much! This is officially my most successful design yet in the derby. There are some great designs in this one!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


It's amazing how far people will go to shove pop culture where it doesn't remotely need to be. No parody, no logical link between the two items, and arguably just "the epic begins" in a different style, which in and of itself was just the TMNT origin story in a different style.

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
AdderXYU wrote:It's amazing how far people will go to shove pop culture where it doesn't remotely need to be. No parody, no logical link between the two items, and arguably just "the epic begins" in a different style, which in and of itself was just the TMNT origin story in a different style.


AMUSIX


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AMUSIX
AdderXYU wrote:It's amazing how far people will go to shove pop culture where it doesn't remotely need to be. No parody, no logical link between the two items, and arguably just "the epic begins" in a different style, which in and of itself was just the TMNT origin story in a different style.


Pop-culture, as defined by Lawrence Levine (from American Historical Review) is the 'folklore of industrial society'. As folklore, it's nature is to be retold and recreated in unfamiliar settings, otherwise it is not pop-culture. For instance, a Superman comic book is not pop-culture at all, but take an image from it, blow it up, transfer it to a canvas, and hang it on the wall, and it becomes pop-culture.
Likewise, the superman S on a t-shirt (a medium far removed from the original source) is 'pop'.

Is this a re-take on "the epic begins"? Absolutely not. What they are, as you already pointed out, are different artistic representations of the Turtles' origin.

Personally, I found this to be one of the most creative entries in this week's derby. The various henna and elephant and taj and tiger designs are great, but this actually took the theme and applied it to something outside of 'India' and did so in an artistic, subtle, and wearable fashion.

ShayAnne


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShayAnne
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


I don't see how this has anything to do with India other than it being in the style of Hena... however I do appreciate this design quite a bit. Especially how you incorporated their weapons at the bottom of the cascade.

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
ShayAnne wrote:I don't see how this has anything to do with India other than it being in the style of Hena... however I do appreciate this design quite a bit. Especially how you incorporated their weapons at the bottom of the cascade.


I'm glad you like the design, the weapons are my favorite part.

Nightshooter


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nightshooter
AdderXYU wrote:It's amazing how far people will go to shove pop culture where it doesn't remotely need to be. No parody, no logical link between the two items, and arguably just "the epic begins" in a different style, which in and of itself was just the TMNT origin story in a different style.


I mostly agree with you, this has no business being in this competition. But, I don’t think this is the same as "the epic begins". That one at least mostly fit the derby.
I love turtles and the TMNT, but this is ridicules to try and say TMNT is part of India in any way...

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Nightshooter wrote:I mostly agree with you, this has no business being in this competition. But, I don’t think this is the same as "the epic begins". That one at least mostly fit the derby.
I love turtles and the TMNT, but this is ridicules to try and say TMNT is part of India in any way...


Not saying that at all, but I wouldn't exclude them from enjoying TMNT as much as the next culture.

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


Really beautiful work!

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Nightshooter wrote:I mostly agree with you, this has no business being in this competition. But, I don’t think this is the same as "the epic begins". That one at least mostly fit the derby.
I love turtles and the TMNT, but this is ridicules to try and say TMNT is part of India in any way...

I think you're missing the point. I don't believe that the artist intended to imply that TMNT is in any way connected to India. Looking at the posted rules, this very easily fits into the derby theme:

Rules wrote:"Anyway, we want to see shirts inspired by incredibly ornate and detailed Indian art, art full of "voluptuous feeling" and "sensuousness." Whether you're inspired by sculpture, painting, the intricate patterns of henna art, shimmering textiles, the rich history, or simply the natural beauty of the subcontinent, let it all out."

See? "...Inspired by incredibly ornate and detailed Indian art..."

Nowhere does it say that every entry must contain a blatant reference to India. It's about style. Even in the Pre-Derby thread, this was said from a Woot staffer:

llandar wrote:Personally, I'd much rather see designs from people who read up on a particular style of Indian art and try to create something using the techniques, rather than "I'll just draw this thing that everybody knows is in India."

So there you go. Quite frankly, as pretty as some of the other entries are, I'd be less inclined to wear them due to the fact that I don't really feel the need to wear something that screams "INDIA!!" as a country. This, however, I would consider wearing because it's A) Something I relate to and like from my childhood, and B) Because it's an interesting style that isn't done very often with pop culture.

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
profbrendan wrote:So there you go. Quite frankly, as pretty as some of the other entries are, I'd be less inclined to wear them due to the fact that I don't really feel the need to wear something that screams "INDIA!!" as a country. This, however, I would consider wearing because it's A) Something I relate to and like from my childhood, and B) Because it's an interesting style that isn't done very often with pop culture.


I also like this entry. The details are really cool and nicely done. You have to really look to see all of the clever bits that are hiding in the flourishes. Not everyone can relate to an Indian concept, but this is something people can connect with.

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Re: Henna in a Half Shell


Needs more Chuck Norris.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

bluejester


quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester
profbrendan wrote:So there you go. Quite frankly, as pretty as some of the other entries are, I'd be less inclined to wear them due to the fact that I don't really feel the need to wear something that screams "INDIA!!" as a country. This, however, I would consider wearing because it's A) Something I relate to and like from my childhood, and B) Because it's an interesting style that isn't done very often with pop culture.


I concur with this. The dozens upon dozens of variations on the Henna, elphants, and elphants made of henna are nice and all, but there are only a few entries that I would likely wear in this derby, and this is one of them, because it captures the idea of art from India/the henna style and it relates to me.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


Just.. ugh

Congrats to the artist for figuring out you can earn a thousand votes in a week just by referencing something popular like chibi, mario, TMNT, star wars, ect...

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

SirSquinty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SirSquinty
AdderXYU wrote:It's amazing how far people will go to shove pop culture where it doesn't remotely need to be. No parody, no logical link between the two items, and arguably just "the epic begins" in a different style, which in and of itself was just the TMNT origin story in a different style.


Wait, Adder...you didn't like it? TOTALLY DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING!

P.S. I love it, this is the only one in the Fog that I would buy...good luck!

grecom25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grecom25
bluetuba wrote:Just.. ugh

Congrats to the artist for figuring out you can earn a thousand votes in a week just by referencing something popular like chibi, mario, TMNT, star wars, ect...


So you're saying the artist should have gone for something that people wouldn't vote for? I'm not sure you understand the concept of competition.

nblottie - Nice job, I love the design!


nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


Wow, thank you to everyone that likes/loves my design, it is very much appreciated.

For those of you that dislike/hate it, I urge you to enjoy any of the other amazing entries in this competition.

Best of luck to everyone and thanks again!

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


The design is beautiful, and it's done in the style of Indian art; however, it really is the same basic concept as The Epic Begins, just executed with a different art style. That being the case, I find it hard to believe this hasn't gotten the reject hammer yet, but the ways of woot are mysterious . . .

kharmazero


quality posts: 5 Private Messages kharmazero
Re: Henna in a Half Shell

it's brilliant!

Lagbert


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lagbert
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


Congrats on your first time in the fog! And on your 8th entry no less!

bkearney09


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkearney09
nblottie wrote:Wow, thank you to everyone that likes/loves my design, it is very much appreciated.

For those of you that dislike/hate it, I urge you to enjoy any of the other amazing entries in this competition.

Best of luck to everyone and thanks again!


Wow, kudos my friend on an awesome illustration. Haters gonna hate, but you put together a great t-shirt.

I don't understand why people get so worked up about pop culture references on this website. It's wonderful to come up with a completely original design, but in all honesty most of the best t-shirt designs out there are references to pop culture.

All I know is I'm in for one, and I'm telling my buddies about this one.

ebam


quality posts: 3 Private Messages ebam
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


gotta say, I'm not even a TMNT fan and I find this design absolutely beautiful. Exceedingly well done.

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
PemberDucky wrote:Needs more Chuck Norris.


Honestly, what doesn't? Have you seen those Facts about Chuck Norris books? They're awesome.

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Lagbert wrote:Congrats on your first time in the fog! And on your 8th entry no less!


Thanks, it's been really great. I'm excited to keep entering these comps every week. Great fun.

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
bkearney09 wrote:Wow, kudos my friend on an awesome illustration. Haters gonna hate, but you put together a great t-shirt.

I don't understand why people get so worked up about pop culture references on this website. It's wonderful to come up with a completely original design, but in all honesty most of the best t-shirt designs out there are references to pop culture.

All I know is I'm in for one, and I'm telling my buddies about this one.



Thanks for vote and definitely spread the word!

minutia


quality posts: 0 Private Messages minutia
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


I feel dumb, but what do the white bits at the top represent?

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
minutia wrote:I feel dumb, but what do the white bits at the top represent?


They are supposed to represent the ooze canister.

lehighace06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lehighace06
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


Love this design, and love the interpretation of the theme, I like that it allows me to wear something i know is TMNT without it screamiing "nerd"

ps- It took me a good 2 minutes of looking at the design before noticing the weapons at the bottom, great touch!

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
lehighace06 wrote:Love this design, and love the interpretation of the theme, I like that it allows me to wear something i know is TMNT without it screamiing "nerd"

ps- It took me a good 2 minutes of looking at the design before noticing the weapons at the bottom, great touch!


Awesome, I'm glad you like it. Hopefully it prints, but I'm not so sure with so much great competition. We'll see. Thanks again.

RandomLynx


quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx
Re: Henna in a Half Shell


I will be shocked if this doesn't come in the top three, it's an interesting take on a popular design

Bandrik


quality posts: 79 Private Messages Bandrik

[quote]Re: [url= in a Half Shell
[img=100x100]

This was a rarely seen case where a great creative style worked well with a pop-culture icon. Please, woot gods, make this into an Editor's Choice! Please! Grant this design the light of day!

Would you do it for a cookie...? :3

RandomLynx


quality posts: 5 Private Messages RandomLynx
RandomLynx wrote:I will be shocked if this doesn't come in the top three, it's an interesting take on a popular design


Well... I am shocked. I hope this does make it as an Editor's Choice - or on one of the other daily shirt sites I buy from.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail