Derby #185: Things That Start with the Letter T

The Triptych

Lines look too fine to print

Rejected because: Lines look too fine to print

add a comment

Comments

peeperpiper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peeperpiper
Re: The Triptych


The dream is always the same. Out of the infinite possibility of my mind the Triptych rises, its blinding glow hiding the worlds to which it opens to. Tentative steps give way to an inescapable pull as my body shoots across distance and dimension, always hurling towards an unknown destination.

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
peeperpiper wrote:The dream is always the same. Out of the infinite possibility of my mind the Triptych rises, its blinding glow hiding the worlds to which it opens to. Tentative steps give way to an inescapable pull as my body shoots across distance and dimension, always hurling towards an unknown destination.


Interesting piece, though from a technical standpoint if this is only one color your not going to be able to hold all the whispy detail. Also how large are the lines you using to do shading as shown on the man. They may be too small to print correctly. Can you provide a larger detail shot?

peeperpiper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peeperpiper
tjost wrote:Interesting piece, though from a technical standpoint if this is only one color your not going to be able to hold all the whispy detail. Also how large are the lines you using to do shading as shown on the man. They may be too small to print correctly. Can you provide a larger detail shot?


It's not so much wispy detail but more broad, amorphous cloud shapes. Right now I think I set the halftone at 40 lpi, but I can drop it down to 25 lpi without much loss in fidelity.

http://tinypic.com/r/ve7yxe/7

That's a detail shot at 25 lpi. If 40 lpi is too high it wouldn't be a problem dropping it down.

DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
Re: The Triptych


This is trippy! Awesome design.

uniique


quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
Re: The Triptych


i frickin love this. GMV fer sure

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
peeperpiper wrote:It's not so much wispy detail but more broad, amorphous cloud shapes. Right now I think I set the halftone at 40 lpi, but I can drop it down to 25 lpi without much loss in fidelity.

http://tinypic.com/r/ve7yxe/7

That's a detail shot at 25 lpi. If 40 lpi is too high it wouldn't be a problem dropping it down.


Yeah 40 lpi is to high. Woot caps it at 30 right now. Also the 30 lpi is for dots, not actual lines like what your using. Those are too fine to print corectly even if at 30 lpi. I do like the piece though. Looking at it more in context with the theme of the derby though I think it's a stretch. The name's meaning is in reference to renaisance art using 3 panels. This really doesn't have anything going on in two of the panels and if Woot were to accept it on that basis anyone could trow anything into 3 panels and call it on theme. Again I like the piece, but due to technical and theme problems I can't vote for it

peeperpiper


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peeperpiper
tjost wrote:Yeah 40 lpi is to high. Woot caps it at 30 right now. Also the 30 lpi is for dots, not actual lines like what your using. Those are too fine to print corectly even if at 30 lpi. I do like the piece though. Looking at it more in context with the theme of the derby though I think it's a stretch. The name's meaning is in reference to renaisance art using 3 panels. This really doesn't have anything going on in two of the panels and if Woot were to accept it on that basis anyone could trow anything into 3 panels and call it on theme. Again I like the piece, but due to technical and theme problems I can't vote for it


Thanks for the advice on the halftones. I've had line halftones screen printed at 35 lpi with no problems before, but every printer has different equipment and meshes. I'll try again using larger patterns.

I think you're viewing the theme, my use of triptych, and maybe art in general too pedantically. Yes, the word triptych is used in reference to art presented with three panels, but before that triptych also referred to Roman written tablets presented in a hinged, three-part format. The word was later adopted for art presented as a hinged, three-part tablet, and art in general presented in three parts. The word can refer to something composed of three parts, and I would say that isn't a far stretch of the definition at all.

So if presented as a triptych in three panels or parts (or as you put it, "trow [sp] anything into 3 panels"), I think that it completely and justifiably fits the theme. My design not only falls under something composed of three parts, but I'm also using the word "TRIPtych" as a play on the idea of a "trip" through a portal - whether that portal be a triptych painting that transports you to another world, or a giant triptych of doors in some imaginary subspace.

I also don't think that for a design or art to be considered good or fit the theme, it needs to be jam packed with something going on in every corner or panel. There's beauty in simplicity. If you're really that much of a stickler for art, then appreciate that I've drawn up my design following the rule of thirds and golden ratio.

bunny420551303


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bunny420551303
tjost wrote:Yeah 40 lpi is to high. Woot caps it at 30 right now. Also the 30 lpi is for dots, not actual lines like what your using. Those are too fine to print corectly even if at 30 lpi. I do like the piece though. Looking at it more in context with the theme of the derby though I think it's a stretch. The name's meaning is in reference to renaisance art using 3 panels. This really doesn't have anything going on in two of the panels and if Woot were to accept it on that basis anyone could trow anything into 3 panels and call it on theme. Again I like the piece, but due to technical and theme problems I can't vote for it


I really liked this design and would have bought it.. too bad.

As for the theme, it says ANYTHING that starts with a T. If you can do better by shoving things into 3 panels (and thinking up the word/idea), I'd like to see it.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail