Derby #185: Things That Start with the Letter T
+182

Return of the Thylacine

Return of the Thylacine
add a comment

Comments

kinzoku


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: Return of the Thylacine


I wanted to draw a thylacine (AKA tasmanian tiger) for the cryptozoology derby, but I wasn't sure it counted as a cryptid. At least I get to make one now. I hope you enjoy!

I would have liked to give it a baby in its pouch since it's a marsupial, but I figured the backwards-facing pouch would probably confuse people...

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Return of the Thylacine


Fantastic drawing, Kinzoku! You're very good with creature anatomy! +1!

kathnich


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kathnich

It's very cool. GMV, even though I will be constantly explaining it and people ALREADY think I'm weird...

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

motorwerks


quality posts: 1 Private Messages motorwerks
Re: Return of the Thylacine


I have to agree with bassanimation, your creature anatomy is great. It looks like it crawled straight out of a book of scary things you don't want to meet in the woods.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Return of the Thylacine


There's a lot to like on this, but I feel like it's missing something to really make it a great tee. Right now, it feels like it's too much just a thylacine. Which is a pretty cool thing for it to just be, but it needs more background to anchor it. Its positioning and size make it hard to really get behind it as a shirt design...

zekecatz


quality posts: 206 Private Messages zekecatz
Re: Return of the Thylacine


Thank you. How often do you get a chance to see a Tassie tiger?

kinzoku


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
AdderXYU wrote:There's a lot to like on this, but I feel like it's missing something to really make it a great tee. Right now, it feels like it's too much just a thylacine. Which is a pretty cool thing for it to just be, but it needs more background to anchor it. Its positioning and size make it hard to really get behind it as a shirt design...


It doesn't look like it's doing well here, but I'd like to fix it up and try this drawing again somewhere if it doesn't get an HM. I just added the black in last because it looked way too plain by itself... I find it hard to get inspired on backgrounds. What kind of background do you (or anyone else with critique) think it needs?

(Note that I don't have photoshop so I can't make fading halftones.)

kinzoku


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
motorwerks wrote:I have to agree with bassanimation, your creature anatomy is great. It looks like it crawled straight out of a book of scary things you don't want to meet in the woods.


Haha, you're not the only person to tell me it's scary. I was going for more "badass" than frightening, like tiger tattoos. (Personally I think thylacines are adorable.) Hopefully it won't scare too many people!

SunnyLea0


quality posts: 16 Private Messages SunnyLea0
Re: Return of the Thylacine


Have you read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld?

There's a nice thylacine in there. I'd never heard of them before. Very interesting creature (and novel!).

Here's an illustration from the book:

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/darwin.html

kinzoku


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
SunnyLea0 wrote:Have you read Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld?

There's a nice thylacine in there. I'd never heard of them before. Very interesting creature (and novel!).

Here's an illustration from the book:

http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/darwin.html


I hadn't heard of that. That's an awesome drawing, thanks for showing me!

sillykris


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sillykris
Re: Return of the Thylacine


I love how you've used the lines and shadows to really delineate the unique musculoskeletal structure (hey, those biology classes in college are paying off!)-- brilliant rendition. Also, adding the the stripes to increase visual interest is a fantastic touch.

Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: Return of the Thylacine


Vote, people! Help me out! I want a thylacine shirt! As Adder says, maybe a little more background would add a little more spice, but this is such a cool drawing of a thylacine and I'd love to wear it.

nsomniotic


quality posts: 2 Private Messages nsomniotic
Re: Return of the Thylacine


I love this & I think you did an amazing job. I don't know if I'd wear it as a tshirt (I'd kind of love to just have you draw animals to frame on my walls as print to be honest - the anatomy is amazingly well-done!) However, I still put in my vote because it is fantastic & you deserve the recognition

wootastical.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail

Whoa there buckaroo!

If you wanna vote, you need to first. Be sure to using an account with at least one purchase, otherwise you won't be able to participate. Sorry we called you buckaroo.