Derby #186: Oddball
+387

AHH it's a mutant!

AHH it's a mutant!
add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


I almost brought back awkward turtle by popular demand, but he unwittingly rolled into a chemical radioactive pit. Oh well.

In all seriousness though, I tried to take into account the comments on execution from last week and worked at a much higher resolution on this design. Hopefully the result is better

Thanks for viewing

bluejester


quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester

That aside, the turtle on the far left looks creepy. Only having one eye and the head is odd makes him look like an undead turtle zombie mutant. Now that I would buy.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


Hunchback of Notre Dame + TMNT?

I think so.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


haha, i actually like this take on tmnt more than putting different color headbands on regular turtles. the tangent of the shelled turtle next to the other turtle on the left is killing me though, i hate tangents. to me this would have really rocked if the scared animals on the left were a warthog and a rhino.

NinjaStorm


quality posts: 1 Private Messages NinjaStorm

I may be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't there once a shirt that referenced TMNT that was rejected because there was once a TMNT video game, and there was a no video-games rule that week? I feel like it had to do with Shredder, but I'm too lazy to go to shirtwhat and find it...

kungfumanchu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kungfumanchu

There's something familiar about all of this...

genericsmith


quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


I'm kind of curious how it's holding the weapons. I mean, two hands barely have thumbs... the other two don't even appear to have those.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

akobylarek


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akobylarek
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


Hey if I could draw something that would make me a few grand every month I wouldn't make many style changes either.

More power to you.

genericsmith


quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith

If it has JUST been hit with radioactive junk I doubt it'd of reached that size yet... plus where would it find ninja weapons.

Of course it's apparently not completely finished mutating because it hasn't developed thumbs yet (as mentioned by me above)

I don't know about rejecting it as a video game... it's possible others have in the past... hard to tell... I mean, there's plenty of zombie video games too... Transformers (of course only one good video game has come from it)

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
genericsmith wrote:
If it has JUST been hit with radioactive junk I doubt it'd of reached that size yet... plus where would it find ninja weapons.

Of course it's apparently not completely finished mutating because it hasn't developed thumbs yet (as mentioned by me above)

I don't know about rejecting it as a video game... it's possible others have in the past... hard to tell... I mean, there's plenty of zombie video games too... Transformers (of course only one good video game has come from it)


not liking sloppy work as in the last one is one thing. but he took the complaint and took the time to make a clean image. the way he draws his turtles is a style choice and he has the right to draw in it. its a cartoon, it doesn't have to have perfect anatomy. if you want people to stop voting for him for valid reasons fine, but making up trivial things to complain about is just annoying. as he said in his comment, he made an effort this time. if you want him to get less votes all you have to do is stop complaining in his thread and less people will come here to look at it.

Shadowhunter312


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Shadowhunter312

With Ramyb, it's turtles all the way down.

aethera21


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aethera21

This is one of the hardest vote choices I've made so far, and I imagine I'm going to change my mind a lot in the next few days! Some really clever (and adorable) designs up there already. Coming after several weeks in which I haven't been motivated to buy anything, I'm excited by how many different shirts in this derby I would willingly spend money on.

bluejester


quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
megsck wrote:not liking sloppy work as in the last one is one thing. but he took the complaint and took the time to make a clean image. the way he draws his turtles is a style choice and he has the right to draw in it. its a cartoon, it doesnt have to have perfect anatomy. if you want people to stop voting for him for valid reasons fine, but making up trivial things to complain about is just annoying. as he said in his comment, he made an effort this time. if you want him to get less votes all you have to do is stop complaining in his thread and less people will come here to look at it.


In fairness, this does seem more polished than the last one, but there are still things in it that feel like errors. And in my opinion, I just don't like the design choices really. I did like the suggestion that some one made of instead of cowering turtles, a warthog and rhino would have been better. Also, the green goup around it's feet are off putting without a canister of some sort visible--it really could be that the turtle hit Taco Bell before showing off for his friends. And yeah, some one mentioned the lack of thumbs on some of the appendages. Yes, technically a turtle doesn't have thumbs to begin with, but this is supposed to be a witty design so that part is mute. However when were supposed to see them mutant holding weaponry and they just seem to float in convient locations, it still doesn't work for me.

genericsmith


quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
megsck wrote:not liking sloppy work as in the last one is one thing. but he took the complaint and took the time to make a clean image. the way he draws his turtles is a style choice and he has the right to draw in it. its a cartoon, it doesnt have to have perfect anatomy. if you want people to stop voting for him for valid reasons fine, but making up trivial things to complain about is just annoying. as he said in his comment, he made an effort this time. if you want him to get less votes all you have to do is stop complaining in his thread and less people will come here to look at it.

I don't think wanting the creature to have a viable way to hold it's weapons is trivial though.

Especially with the thumb nubbins at the top of the weapons... they'd just fall out of his hands.

I didn't say anything about wanting him to get less votes... I don't think I really complained either.

I apologize for annoying you... I don't usually rally against ramy that much (except maybe in the reckoning threads) and I really like your designs, so I'm a little sad you decided to rip into me. You could of at least picked the guy that just said he hated him... Jeez.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

Assassin15


quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


I think there shoulda been two eyes peeping from the recesses of the hiding turtle's shell.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
genericsmith wrote:I don't think wanting the creature to have a viable way to hold it's weapons is trivial though.

Especially with the thumb nubbins at the top of the weapons... they'd just fall out of his hands.

I didn't say anything about wanting him to get less votes... I don't think I really complained either.

I apologize for annoying you... I don't usually rally against ramy that much (except maybe in the reckoning threads) and I really like your designs, so I'm a little sad you decided to rip into me. You could of at least picked the guy that just said he hated him... Jeez.


im sorry for making my comment seem directed to just you, im more annoyed at the whole thing, im tired of seeing tons of negative posts everytime ramby decides to enter a derby. im pretty sure he knows what some people think of him here so constantly saying it over and over i think is pointless. if his submissions have something valid to respond to, then fine, but just saying mean things is itself mean. there are always some designs in every derby that arnt top quality, but people dont go around tearing them apart. this site has different experience levels so you just have to put up with some submissions not being up to par. i feel that if you dont like it, just dont click on it. again sorry it felt i was picking you out specifically i dont have any negative feelings toward you, just toward the mob like mentality that ramby threads tend to turn into.

AkuX


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AkuX
genericsmith wrote:I don't think wanting the creature to have a viable way to hold it's weapons is trivial though.

Especially with the thumb nubbins at the top of the weapons... they'd just fall out of his hands.

I didn't say anything about wanting him to get less votes... I don't think I really complained either.

I apologize for annoying you... I don't usually rally against ramy that much (except maybe in the reckoning threads) and I really like your designs, so I'm a little sad you decided to rip into me. You could of at least picked the guy that just said he hated him... Jeez.


I still don't see why everyone is so critical about the "thumbs". It's a cartoon, use your imagination, maybe his thumbs have massive gripping power. It is, after all, a mutant.

mindputtee


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee
megsck wrote:im sorry for making my comment seem directed to just you, im more annoyed at the whole thing, im tired of seeing tons of negative posts everytime ramby decides to enter a derby. im pretty sure he knows what some people think of him here so constantly saying it over and over i think is pointless. if his submissions have something valid to respond to, then fine, but just saying mean things is itself mean. there are always some designs in every derby that arnt top quality, but people dont go around tearing them apart. this site has different experience levels so you just have to put up with some submissions not being up to par. i feel that if you dont like it, just dont click on it. again sorry it felt i was picking you out specifically i dont have any negative feelings toward you, just toward the mob like mentality that ramby threads tend to turn into.


I think this is very well put, and I agree with you completely. Offer constructive criticism or keep your mouth shut.

Personally, I would prefer if you could see some of the turtle that's hiding in its shell. My first thought when I saw this that the empty looking shell belonged to the mutant turtle and I was confused.

The other concern I have is that the turtle on the left doesn't look quite as frightened as the middle turtle, it looks more zombish to me. If it had movement lines maybe to indicate it was backing away or startled at least it would work better for me.

These are both little fixes that I doubt will occur, but just thoughts I would like to put out there, I hope that they might be useful in the future.

Also, about the concerns of this getting rejected on the grounds of TMNT and video games, that's total crap, this design doesn't reference TMNT at all, yes it's a mutant turtle but that concept is not owned by TMNT. This is a completely independent idea, even if it does play on people's nostalgia for TMNT.

bluejester


quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
AkuX wrote:I still don't see why everyone is so critical about the "thumbs". It's a cartoon, use your imagination, maybe his thumbs have massive gripping power. It is, after all, a mutant.


For me, the thumb problem isn't that they are suppossed to work with the holding up of the weapons, but there seems to be a few of them missing at first glance. Second glance, you can see them, but they are barely there. It's the same problem I and many others had with the smile on the Christmas turtle, it's barely there and without it more defined, the whole thing takes on a different meaning. Same here, it looks less like the turtle is holding some of the weapons than they are just floating there of their own accord.

EBOLAinfectedMonkey


quality posts: 3 Private Messages EBOLAinfectedMonkey
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


Though I probably wouldn't purchase a ramyb shirt, I do respect him as a designer.

1. Design shirts
2. ????????
3. PROFIT

magelord


quality posts: 0 Private Messages magelord
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


I actually do have a constructive comment, specifically about the weapon designs. The lower left hand has one of the standard grips on the sai-like weapon, but said weapon is colored in such a way that it looks like it has an edge, more like a dagger with massive, pointed quillons than a sai. A minor issue, but one that would make future drawings related to this subject (and, though I mean no offence, you do seem to like the TMNT) that much more interesting to those of us who practice stage fighting or martial arts.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff



I am deleting and editing some of the earlier comments in this thread.

Please keep your comments constructive without resorting to personal attacks.

I would rather not probate but I will if this thread gets out of hand.






FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

zekecatz


quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


The carapace above the four heads gives a hunchback appearance. Is that supposed to be part of the mutation?

bluejester


quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
Shadowhunter312 wrote:With Ramyb, it's turtles all the way down.


Bwahahah *sigh* I am literally laughing out loud at this!

To make my post some what relevant, I think that the turtle thing is the reason this isn't in the fog right now. It's getting a bit old, and this is (minus the harebunnies) is three turtle subs in a row for Ramyb. Even the fans get tired of the same thing.

megadog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog

i can't vote - i am not feeling too well - i am suffering from turtleitis lol

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: AHH it's a mutant!



Maybe it's just me, but something about the angle of the bo staff, and the expression on the second turtle-head's face, give the impression that the mutant is doing something inappropriate to itself ...

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mindputtee wrote:
Also, about the concerns of this getting rejected on the grounds of TMNT and video games, that's total crap, this design doesn't reference TMNT at all, yes it's a mutant turtle but that concept is not owned by TMNT. This is a completely independent idea, even if it does play on people's nostalgia for TMNT.


While I generally stay out of these things, I'd have to disagree about that.

1) It's called a mutant in the title.
2) It has ninja weaponry.
3) It has four heads.
ergo, TMNT.

One point of the previous comment was that OTHER designs were rejected for video games because the rejectorationers felt that they were about TMNJ. I don't believe that discussing this possible rejection case is out of line. Why would woot NOT reject this if they rejected the previous design that seems to meet the same 'video game' criteria as this one?

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


Ok, I still dislike this turtle, and the style in general. But I gotta give you props for sticking by your guns, dude. Rollin' with the punches: ramyb.

mindputtee


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mindputtee
Josephus wrote:While I generally stay out of these things, I'd have to disagree about that.

1) It's called a mutant in the title.
2) It has ninja weaponry.
3) It has four heads.
ergo, TMNT.

One point of the previous comment was that OTHER designs were rejected for video games because the rejectorationers felt that they were about TMNJ. I don't believe that discussing this possible rejection case is out of line. Why would woot NOT reject this if they rejected the previous design that seems to meet the same 'video game' criteria as this one?


I didn't realize those were all ninja weapons, I'm not exactly up on my ninja qualifications. By that logic though they could reject anything that at one point or other was made into a video game, which is quite frankly, a lot of stuff. I mean, there are Barbie video games, for crying out loud.

Something I realized as I was looking at this though, was that the tail is kind of funny and looks like it's coming out of the side of the shell instead of the back. maybe part of the mutantness? It just looks funny to me.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
mindputtee wrote:I didn't realize those were all ninja weapons, I'm not exactly up on my ninja qualifications. By that logic though they could reject anything that at one point or other was made into a video game, which is quite frankly, a lot of stuff. I mean, there are Barbie video games, for crying out loud.


Someone brought that question up though because one time (that I remember), woot did this -- they rejected a shirt because there was a video game made of the topic. I don't remember how closely the shirt was to the video game, but my foggy memory seems to think it wasn't at all a reference to the game specifically.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dustirose


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustirose
Mavyn wrote:Hunchback of Notre Dame + TMNT?

I think so.



Yes, the thumbs don't really bug me so much as the fact that the mutant turtle is shaped like an egg.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
kylemittskus wrote:Someone brought that question up though because one time (that I remember), woot did this -- they rejected a shirt because there was a video game made of the topic. I don't remember how closely the shirt was to the video game, but my foggy memory seems to think it wasn't at all a reference to the game specifically.


It was misskari in the cooking derby





kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
odysseyroc wrote:It was misskari in the cooking derby


That's the one!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jeanerz13


quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeanerz13
odysseyroc wrote:It was misskari in the cooking derby


Sure it wasn't Mrs. Peacock in the Library? Maybe even with the candlestick...

*sigh* sorry... couldn't resist...

ikeman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ikeman
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


this kind of looks exactly the same as his entry last derby

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
paigeg wrote:Ok, I still dislike this turtle, and the style in general. But I gotta give you props for sticking by your guns, dude. Rollin' with the punches: ramyb.


He's not "Rollin' with the punches" he's intentionally provoking his critics because he knows we can't do anything about it and he'll STILL keep winning derbies because he's still got his herd.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Josephus wrote:
One point of the previous comment was that OTHER designs were rejected for video games because the rejectorationers felt that they were about TMNJ.

Teenage Mutant New Jerseyans. I loved that damn game.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
profbrendan wrote:Teenage Mutant New Jerseyans. I loved that damn game.


heh- I had to check that I hadn't made that typo. ;^)

uncchris


quality posts: 6 Private Messages uncchris
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


Another Turtle by Numbers masterpiece by ramy. Beautiful.

sunnysfunny


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunnysfunny
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


Shame on you, RAMYB. You're starting to make me hate turtles, penguins and bunnies.

thegeneticist


quality posts: 2 Private Messages thegeneticist
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


Way better execution this time, Ramyb. Compared to your previous design, this one does show more effort on an attempt to craft a winning shirt. The light green half-tones around the big guy making him glow add a very nice touch.

I'd like to think you took my advice about giving your designs a careful look before submitting them to avoid mistakes in the paint job. It seems you may have heeded it since I don't see any lines or specks on this one. :P

Good luck!

wcsae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wcsae
NinjaStorm wrote:I may be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't there once a shirt that referenced TMNT that was rejected because there was once a TMNT video game, and there was a no video-games rule that week? I feel like it had to do with Shredder, but I'm too lazy to go to shirtwhat and find it...


There was and they did, but that was completely a dumb reason to do so. There's also a lord of the rings video game, a video game about sheep, and i'm pretty certain that you can probably find a recent video game or two with zombies in it. Woot hasn't repeated the rejection when TMNT shirts have reappeared so I'd assume it was a one time mistake where they might not have realized TMNT is not just a video game franchise.

NinjaStorm


quality posts: 1 Private Messages NinjaStorm
mindputtee wrote:Also, about the concerns of this getting rejected on the grounds of TMNT and video games, that's total crap, this design doesn't reference TMNT at all, yes it's a mutant turtle but that concept is not owned by TMNT. This is a completely independent idea, even if it does play on people's nostalgia for TMNT.


Oh, I agree that it's a Jatravartid reason to reject a TMNT shirt, but someone went ahead and found the previously rejected Shredder shirt I was talking about. It clearly has as much to do with a video game as this one. I guess I'm just suggesting the rejectionator should be consistent...

BTW, I disagree that it "doesn't reference TMNT at all" on two grounds. The neon-green mutation slime, for one. Also, not only are those ninja weapons (as pointed out by someone else), but they're the exact 4 weapons wielded by the actual TMNT's. Hmm.

wcsae wrote:Woot hasn't repeated the rejection when TMNT shirts have reappeared so I'd assume it was a one time mistake where they might not have realized TMNT is not just a video game franchise.


Or there wasnt a 'no videogame' rule those weeks where TMNT shirts made it through? I didn't check, just offering an alternate hypothesis.

asmadasrabbits


quality posts: 3 Private Messages asmadasrabbits
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


Now you're just messing with us.

lilaviel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilaviel
akobylarek wrote:Hey if I could draw something that would make me a few grand every month I wouldn't make many style changes either.

More power to you.



I feel the same way. Who cares if he does the same characters all the time? I like it. I kinda wanna collect them. XD

This looks much better than last week's. I'm quite pleased. HOWEVER, I do have to fault you on the use of ninja weapons. I think if they looked like they were about to punch someone it'd be better than hinting at a TMNT reference.

I'd still buy it though. And I like the one turtle on the end hiding in his shell.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
lilaviel wrote:This looks much better than last week's. I'm quite pleased. HOWEVER, I do have to fault you on the use of ninja weapons. I think if they looked like they were about to punch someone it'd be better than hinting at a TMNT reference.


You mean it's just a strange coincidence that there are four turtles and they are holding the exact same weapons the four TMNTs used to use?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kevlar51


quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


interesting.

grahamcrackercoyote


quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Shadowhunter312 wrote:With Ramyb, it's turtles all the way down.


With a shirtless Bertrand Russell holding up the turtles.

I think the hiding turtle needs work, otherwise cute as always.

wcsae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wcsae
NinjaStorm wrote:Or there wasnt a 'no videogame' rule those weeks where TMNT shirts made it through? I didn't check, just offering an alternate hypothesis.


No as an avid TMNT fan, I've paid attention to this. Not that the shirts have won, but on no video game derbys (which is almost every derby now) I've seen a clearly tmnt design stay in the whole time. Granted, I'm sure the woot rejectors have differing opinion, but I think they have internally clarified what constitutes a video game design and what doesn't.

DoublEE


quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
genericsmith wrote:If it has JUST been hit with radioactive junk I doubt it'd of reached that size yet... plus where would it find ninja weapons.

Of course it's apparently not completely finished mutating because it hasn't developed thumbs yet (as mentioned by me above)

I don't know about rejecting it as a video game... it's possible others have in the past... hard to tell... I mean, there's plenty of zombie video games too... Transformers (of course only one good video game has come from it)


So you're being critical of a four-headed, four-armed, two legged, weapon-toting turtle beacuse of the radioactive mutation timeframe and lack of thumbs? This place never disappoints...

akirahatesyou


quality posts: 1 Private Messages akirahatesyou
megsck wrote:not liking sloppy work as in the last one is one thing. but he took the complaint and took the time to make a clean image. the way he draws his turtles is a style choice and he has the right to draw in it. its a cartoon, it doesn't have to have perfect anatomy. if you want people to stop voting for him for valid reasons fine, but making up trivial things to complain about is just annoying. as he said in his comment, he made an effort this time. if you want him to get less votes all you have to do is stop complaining in his thread and less people will come here to look at it.

^^ This.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -Paul Fix

genericsmith


quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
DoublEE wrote:So you're being critical of a four-headed, four-armed, two legged, weapon-toting turtle beacuse of the radioactive mutation timeframe and lack of thumbs? This place never disappoints...


Mostly just the thumbs... If the hands looked like they could hold weapons I probably wouldn't of said anything.

The timeframe comment was more for use of my earlier (modded) green globs are diareah comment

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

viscosity2004


quality posts: 7 Private Messages viscosity2004
wcsae wrote:No as an avid TMNT fan, I've paid attention to this. Not that the shirts have won, but on no video game derbys (which is almost every derby now) I've seen a clearly tmnt design stay in the whole time. Granted, I'm sure the woot rejectors have differing opinion, but I think they have internally clarified what constitutes a video game design and what doesn't.


I think the thing is that when people think of TMNT they think of the movies & cartoons first before the video games.

wcsae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wcsae
viscosity2004 wrote:I think the thing is that when people think of TMNT they think of the movies & cartoons first before the video games.


Right, and it was actually a comic first. This is why I agree tmnt shirts shouldn't be rejected on the video game basis. Right now there's a huge Lord of the Rings online computer game (well not as big as wow, but still a game) but I don't think LOR shirts should get rejected because of being a video game. I think no video games means no shirts referencing video game originated characters/things. ie Mario is not cool, but football is okay.

specsmachine


quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

Great collab! You and Sylvia are great at what you do.

zekecatz


quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
specsmachine wrote:Great collab! You and Sylvia are great at what you do.


This is a collab? How do you know?

CapSea


quality posts: 54 Private Messages CapSea
zekecatz wrote:This is a collab? How do you know?


I doubt it. It doesn't look like hers anyway. I'd bet they broke up.

dreamwootseeker


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dreamwootseeker

Why hasn't this fogged yet??!!! C'mon, it has all the classic ingredients! Ramy, turtles, and a pop culture reference that makes all the nerds wet their pants and start voting!

There's still a chance wooters, weird eyed turtles seen a million times before FTW! Ramy forever!!

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
dreamwootseeker wrote:Why hasn't this fogged yet??!!! C'mon, it has all the classic ingredients! Ramy, turtles, and a pop culture reference that makes all the nerds wet their pants and start voting!

There's still a chance wooters, weird eyed turtles seen a million times before FTW! Ramy forever!!


This was fogged over the weekend and has slid down ever since.

Must be all that goop.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

be10der2me


quality posts: 0 Private Messages be10der2me
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


I love your art but this, I'll have to pass on.
The appendages look like they belong on an elephant. Sorry, but I have to pass on this one Ramy!

dwayri


quality posts: 6 Private Messages dwayri

People, why all the hate? If you don't like it, don't vote for it. And if it makes you feel better, vote for every other design.

Ramyb, thanks for one of the best shirts ever, where we witness the wisdom of the elders being passed on to the younger generation: "School". I'll be bummed if it does get reckoned.

MachineAmbition


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MachineAmbition

I can't handle any more turtles, let alone TMNTurtles. I just want to see one animal or food item that hasn't been glorified several times already. A llama, please? A goat?

tjsynkral


quality posts: 15 Private Messages tjsynkral
odysseyroc wrote:It was misskari in the cooking derby


Yep. Tattled.

If this does not get REJECTED, then it is CLEARLY a double standard.

DJ9975


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJ9975
Re: AHH it's a mutant!


I think several of the negative posts have disappeared now, but I will say my piece regardless...

While I am quite happy to see Ramy NOT in the fog for yet another similary drawn and overly cutesy submission, I have to say lets at least keep the criticism sensible. If we are going to attack every detail like 'those hands could never hold a weapon' then we have to attack similar silliness in half the shirts submitted. Its a cartoon drawing for cryin out loud- its not expected to have the anatomical prowess of a Marvel comic. (Heck, Veggie Tales is a hiliarious and well done cartoon with characters that live their whole lives sans appendages. But I digress...) Speaking of comics- TMNT was a comic long before it was a video game, so that kills the no-video game references argument as well. The list of Ramy complaints goes far beyond these two examples, but they stand out most in my mind.

Again, I am not really attempting to run to Ramy's defense here since I tend to cringe at most of his submissions. But lets at least attempt to keep our annoyance aimed at something legit about the submission itself (there is generally plenty of good material), and stop throwing our anger around in silly ways making ourselves look like butts.

//end rant

genericsmith


quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith
DJ9975 wrote:I think several of the negative posts have disappeared now, but I will say my piece regardless...

While I am quite happy to see Ramy NOT in the fog for yet another similary drawn and overly cutesy submission, I have to say lets at least keep the criticism sensible. If we are going to attack every detail like 'those hands could never hold a weapon' then we have to attack similar silliness in half the shirts submitted. Its a cartoon drawing for cryin out loud- its not expected to have the anatomical prowess of a Marvel comic. (Heck, Veggie Tales is a hiliarious and well done cartoon with characters that live their whole lives sans appendages. But I digress...) Speaking of comics- TMNT was a comic long before it was a video game, so that kills the no-video game references argument as well. The list of Ramy complaints goes far beyond these two examples, but they stand out most in my mind.

Again, I am not really attempting to run to Ramy's defense here since I tend to cringe at most of his submissions. But lets at least attempt to keep our annoyance aimed at something legit about the submission itself (there is generally plenty of good material), and stop throwing our anger around in silly ways making ourselves look like butts.

//end rant


I don't know if I'd agree that Veggietales is well done but I think the items floating in midair is possibly better than floating on arm numbs.

I don't really think I'm being nit-picky either... I'm not asking for Marvel quality... I can't even think of any cartoon style things that have weapons or objects just floating on non-hands.

At least most of the other designs that feature cartoony animals/people holding objects look like they have a legitimate way of holding them... or at the very least position the objects at a behind the hand view (probably a better way to put it) so that it doesn't look like it's just floating there.

*shrug*

//end non-rant :D

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
NinjaStorm wrote: I guess I'm just suggesting the rejectionator should be consistent...


This is the funniest thing I've heard all week.

meh3884


quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884
tjsynkral wrote:Yep. Tattled.

If this does not get REJECTED, then it is CLEARLY a double standard.


And I'm going to wager that the rejectionator clearly won't care. Just not how it works around here. BS? Yes, yes it is, but we're all just minions to the woot gods.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

tjsynkral


quality posts: 15 Private Messages tjsynkral
tjsynkral wrote:Yep. Tattled.

If this does not get REJECTED, then it is CLEARLY a double standard.


OK then... Hence forth, apparently, TMNT references are no longer disqualified under "No video games." The precedent has been set.

OhTeeSee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages OhTeeSee
tjsynkral wrote:OK then... Hence forth, apparently, TMNT references are no longer disqualified under "No video games." The precedent has been set.


Long time wooter, first time poster. I'm not a particularly avid Ramyb fan (I like chibi about as much as I like papercuts), but it just seems that people will find the stupidest reasons to pick at his work, while conveniently ignoring these exact same "flaws" in the work of other less known but apparently more "deserving" artists who fog. While it's fine to make suggestions to an artist,there is nothing constructive about starting a suggestion by saying "Your work is sub-par, and here's why: ....."
Similarly, comments like the above serve no purpose in actually improving or altering the artwork in anyway, and do nothing but make the poster and subsequently the community look like a bunch of whiny prats.
"Apparently, TMNT REFERENCES are no longer disqualified..."
There is sir, a pronounced difference between a REFERENCE and a straight up copy write violation. Ramyb did not draw the likeness of all four turtles with their trademark weaponry and headbands. Instead he drew a creature from which any four year old could make the logical leap and say "Oh! It's a TMNT reference!" There in lies the key difference in Ramyb's TMNT REFERENCE and the previously mentioned Shredder piece which got rejected. There was no logical leap which the viewer needed to make in order to draw the connection between that piece of work, and TMNT, Shredder was simply drawn (granted in a badass fashion) out for all to see.
With that said, I'm going to return to looking at shirts in which I actually have an interest in buying, not pointlessly hatemongering in threads just because I have a vendetta against such and such artist for being successful.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail