Derby #190: Magic
+371

Expecto Catronus

Expecto Catronus
add a comment

Comments

ApeLad


quality posts: 63 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: Expecto Catronus


Conjuring ain't easy.

bighobbit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bighobbit

LOVE this one!

ApeLad


quality posts: 63 Private Messages ApeLad
bighobbit wrote:LOVE this one!


Thanks bighobbit!

gekiere


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gekiere
Re: Expecto Catronus


Love it! It will be lost on those unfamiliar with Harry Potter lore, though.

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
Re: Expecto Catronus


As far as cute shirts go I actually like this one. I could do without the wall in the background though. just having it on the grey shirt is enough for me. Regardless, well done.

FlyingMouse365


quality posts: 5 Private Messages FlyingMouse365
Re: Expecto Catronus


Nice one!

MathUhhhSaurus


quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
Re: Expecto Catronus


bwahahahahaha! Love the expression on the wizard's face!

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

MathUhhhSaurus


quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
gekiere wrote:Love it! It will be lost on those unfamiliar with Harry Potter lore, though.


I don't think so...I think others who don't know Harry Potter can still get the joke. :]

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

ApeLad


quality posts: 63 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: Expecto Catronus


You can see a bigger version on my flickr:


Expecto Catronus by Ape Lad, on Flickr

teacookie


quality posts: 4 Private Messages teacookie
Re: Expecto Catronus


so close to terry pratches's death who loves cats. if it wasn't for the bit of harry refernce I would of voted for it.

thumperchick


quality posts: 259 Private Messages thumperchick
Re: Expecto Catronus


GMV - I love HP, but this is the first shirt this round that I would wear in this meme

shinju


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shinju
Re: Expecto Catronus


Aw when I first saw Death fall in love with the cat, I also thought it was a Pratchett reference. Still a nice design.

ApeLad


quality posts: 63 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: Expecto Catronus


I haven't read enough Terry Pratchett to know the reference. Where would I find it? Is there a good Discworld jumping on point?

viscosity2004


quality posts: 7 Private Messages viscosity2004
ApeLad wrote:I haven't read enough Terry Pratchett to know the reference. Where would I find it? Is there a good Discworld jumping on point?


It's pretty well covered in the first book that centers around Death, the character (Mort). And maybe in the Color of Magic (first book in the series).

I started reading the Discworld series and would personally start with The Color of Magic and then follow the series based on publishing dates.

lonelypond


quality posts: 667 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: Expecto Catronus


darn cute

ApeLad


quality posts: 63 Private Messages ApeLad
viscosity2004 wrote:It's pretty well covered in the first book that centers around Death, the character (Mort). And maybe in the Color of Magic (first book in the series).

I started reading the Discworld series and would personally start with The Color of Magic and then follow the series based on publishing dates.


Thanks! Now I've got in on hold at the library.

ApeLad


quality posts: 63 Private Messages ApeLad
lonelypond wrote:darn cute


Thanks!!!

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
MathUhhhSaurus wrote:I don't think so...I think others who don't know Harry Potter can still get the joke. :]


Never read/seen any Harry Potter. Death loves cats?

viscosity2004


quality posts: 7 Private Messages viscosity2004
yankeebird wrote:Never read/seen any Harry Potter. Death loves cats?


I think they mean the patronus. It's a Harry Potter thing where there are these wraiths that will suck your soul, but if you can conjure a patronus (which takes the shape of an animal), then the wraiths will be afraid and run away. But in this case, the wraith thinks the kitty is so cute it wants to stay! :3

ApeLad


quality posts: 63 Private Messages ApeLad
viscosity2004 wrote:I think they mean the patronus. It's a Harry Potter thing where there are these wraiths that will suck your soul, but if you can conjure a patronus (which takes the shape of an animal), then the wraiths will be afraid and run away. But in this case, the wraith thinks the kitty is so cute it wants to stay! :3


You got it!

MathUhhhSaurus


quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
yankeebird wrote:Never read/seen any Harry Potter. Death loves cats?


well...the wizard is holding a wand that the cat is coming out of, so it's safe to assume that the wizard made the cat in hopes to fight the hooded figure. But, the cat isn't helpful at all, hence the wizard's annoyed face. You really don't have to know that the cat is a parody of a "patronus" and the hooded figure is a parody of a "dementor" to get it.

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

enesvy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages enesvy
Re: Expecto Catronus


Oh, Lord, a cute dementor! You've achieved the unachievable!

You're messin' with my zen thing, man.

harmonyjoy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyjoy
Re: Expecto Catronus


HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAH
AWESOME

Harmony Joy Wallender

lilaviel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilaviel
Re: Expecto Catronus


This one's my favorite amongst the HP-referenced shirts. I just love it.

lisonallie


quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
Re: Expecto Catronus


really want this shirt XD

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
MathUhhhSaurus wrote:well...the wizard is holding a wand that the cat is coming out of, so it's safe to assume that the wizard made the cat in hopes to fight the hooded figure. But, the cat isn't helpful at all, hence the wizard's annoyed face. You really don't have to know that the cat is a parody of a "patronus" and the hooded figure is a parody of a "dementor" to get it.


But why would I assume the wizard conjured something up to fight the cloaked figure? My mind did not lead to "there's going to be a fight" at all when I saw this. I get that the wizard made the cat, but the "why" is what was lost on me. For all I know, he made a cat because he thought cloak dude was allergic or just plain didn't like cats, and is annoyed that cloaky dude actually seems to love cats. Guess I'm just dense.

dreiarmumig


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreiarmumig
Re: Expecto Catronus


Aaaw, I so so wanted this, please let us know in case you have it printed elsewhere.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail

Whoa there buckaroo!

If you wanna vote, you need to first. Be sure to using an account with at least one purchase, otherwise you won't be able to participate. Sorry we called you buckaroo.