Derby #193: Catchy Slogans for Everyday Products
+210

TOWELS

add a comment

Comments

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: TOWELS


i was given these books by my father and fell in love with them immediately. i remember drawing something like this for my father after i read them for the first time, im sure it looked horrible then, but this derby gave me a chance to re draw it, so i'll dedicate this one to my dad.

i wanted it to look like a book cover, and i went with an r. crumb kinda drawing because it reminded me of the illustrations on the books.

Check the LARGER version.

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5


What is with all of this pop culture that's getting submitted? Surely you are smart and funny enough to come up with something original and clever.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: TOWELS


Gotta say I'm a fan of this. Not just for the ref, but because it's drawn so nicely.

I think you can tell when a pop-culture design comes from a genuine place of love and fandom.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Johndis5 wrote:What is with all of this pop culture that's getting submitted? Surely you are smart and funny enough to come up with something original and clever.


i understand where your coming from, although i have to say that i dont really consider Hitchhiker's Guide to be pop culture. i more consider it to be more Cult Culture, meaning that there is a smaller group of people who follow it, but they follow it rather religiously ;) Hardly anyone i know, in the u.s. anyway, has read the books, and i always get a blank stare when someone asks me a question and i answer 42. however i do have a few friends and one relative that have read them and are die hard fans, this shirt is for them. i think a good majority of wooters maybe fall into this cult category so a lot of the cult stuff gets put into pop culture, but i think on a whole, not too many people knew about the books before the movie was made, and still dont know about them even now.

EDIT: speaking of cult favorites! i just saw the movie RUBBER in the theatre, it was GREAT! if its playing near you, or you have onDemand watch it!

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: TOWELS


I'm a fan, and I like the shirt.
Although the shading you did on the hand sort of makes it look like he has really hairy gorilla knuckles.
+1 anyway

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
sTyLeS wrote:I'm a fan, and I like the shirt.
Although the shading you did on the hand sort of makes it look like he has really hairy gorilla knuckles.
+1 anyway


thats how man's hands are supposed to be ;) haha

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: TOWELS


I really like that you captured that late 60's, early 70's look with the art and lettering. Great work, Meg.





ambergreen


quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
megsck wrote:i understand where your coming from, although i have to say that i dont really consider Hitchhiker's Guide to be pop culture. i more consider it to be more Cult Culture, meaning that there is a smaller group of people who follow it, but they follow it rather religiously ;) Hardly anyone i know, in the u.s. anyway, has read the books, and i always get a blank stare when someone asks me a question and i answer 42. however i do have a few friends and one relative that have read them and are die hard fans, this shirt is for them. i think a good majority of wooters maybe fall into this cult category so a lot of the cult stuff gets put into pop culture, but i think on a whole, not too many people knew about the books before the movie was made, and still dont know about them even now.

EDIT: speaking of cult favorites! i just saw the movie RUBBER in the theatre, it was GREAT! if its playing near you, or you have onDemand watch it!


I must know a lot of 'geeky' people because a majority know what I mean when I answer 42 Doesn't hurt to work in the software industry. Great design.

walmazan


quality posts: 63 Private Messages walmazan
Re: TOWELS


this is so good!

+1

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
megsck wrote:i understand where your coming from, although i have to say that i dont really consider Hitchhiker's Guide to be pop culture. i more consider it to be more Cult Culture, meaning that there is a smaller group of people who follow it, but they follow it rather religiously ;) Hardly anyone i know, in the u.s. anyway, has read the books, and i always get a blank stare when someone asks me a question and i answer 42. however i do have a few friends and one relative that have read them and are die hard fans, this shirt is for them. i think a good majority of wooters maybe fall into this cult category so a lot of the cult stuff gets put into pop culture, but i think on a whole, not too many people knew about the books before the movie was made, and still dont know about them even now.

EDIT: speaking of cult favorites! i just saw the movie RUBBER in the theatre, it was GREAT! if its playing near you, or you have onDemand watch it!


I'm a huge fan too. Funny story: I was actually teaching about the universe last week and a student basically asked what is the ultimate answer to the universe and why and how it exists. I answered "42" and got a very confused look back. My co-teacher cracked up laughing. It's so nice to know there are people who "get" this. Nice design, Meg. I like the way you did the letters. :D



DoublEE


quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
Re: TOWELS


Love the R. Crumb look!

akirahatesyou


quality posts: 1 Private Messages akirahatesyou

Great design! <3

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -Paul Fix

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: TOWELS


no more votes! its in 42nd place! haha

profbrendan


quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
Re: TOWELS

Love the r. crumb styling, Meg. Nice work. And I'm glad to hear you liked Rubber! I really wanna see it, partly because it's such a strange concept, and partly because I'm a sucker for Olly Moss's brilliantly simple poster design:

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: TOWELS


Meg, I have been meaning to comment, I love the artwork, colors and style , I also like the positive vibe that you get from a "thumbs-up" on the shirt.You're awesome!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: TOWELS


Towelie says, "Don't forget to bring a towel.... (I am SOOOOOooooo high, right now).

Movie was better than I thought it would be. This is a very subtle reference. VERY sublte.
brUno

CapitalGGeek


quality posts: 3 Private Messages CapitalGGeek
megsck wrote:religiously ;) Hardly anyone i know, in the u.s. anyway, has read the books


It's quite a geek thing here. That said, we took a field trip to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC, which happened to coincide with Towel Day. Yes, we all had our towels. Only one guard asked about it.

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: TOWELS


I've never seen the movie but I love the illustration, typography and design. +1

erinalex


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinalex
Re: TOWELS


i like this a lot but the towel says hand towel to me rather than a big bath towel (with lots of stripes!)

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: TOWELS


* No copyrighted or trademarked product names. Seriously. Keep it generic.

* No using any existing slogan or part of an existing slogan for a different product. So your "Bananas: Just Do It" design will have to wait.

Arguably, this goes against both of these. This is not generic. It is a hitchhiker's guide reference. And by being a hitchhiker's reference, and even saying hitchhikers, it is therefore using existing content to promote the product. It's basically the equivalent of making a tee that says "Gloves: Cats love them!" and riding the inevitable Always Sunny references to potential glory.

"This week give us your best takes on updated, "hip," and new slogans for common, every day products." What is so hip or new about the same exact joke people have been making for decades after reading Adams? Not that I believe woot has a soul, but this piece totally tramples the soul of the theme, instead shoehorning itself in between the gaps in the letter of the theme.

Though to be fair, taking a well-known trope and simply illustrating it because it fits the theme DOES work with the whole "So why not spread the capitalist spirit?" part of the theme.

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
AdderXYU wrote:* No copyrighted or trademarked product names. Seriously. Keep it generic.

* No using any existing slogan or part of an existing slogan for a different product. So your "Bananas: Just Do It" design will have to wait.

blah, blah, blah


I take their generic rule to mean no product names (like pepsi, or brawny paper towels). i dont even mention my product name on the shirt, i just have a towel and im pretty sure a towel is as generic as you can get. The word hitchhiker is not trademarked or copyrighted and its not the brand name of any towels that im aware of.

im not using any existing slogan for towels that im aware of either, and simply referencing an awesome book does not mean that im lifting the slogan from it. im simply stating a that towels are a hitchhikers best friend.

i would argue that this is a new slogan for towels that i havnt seen before, and since its referencing a known cult novel i think its pretty hip. so im not seeing why you chose to, out of all the other shirts that reference something else, you came to mine and say that it "tramples the soul of the theme" to that i'd say that you are being overly dramatic and obviously just trying to bash my entry because you have a personal grudge with me.

im sorry that my design offends you in some way, i was just making a shirt that i think people would love to wear and that has some personal meaning to me. i think im hardly corrupting the derby with it.

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
megsck wrote:I take their generic rule to mean no product names (like pepsi, or brawny paper towels). i dont even mention my product name on the shirt, i just have a towel and im pretty sure a towel is as generic as you can get. The word hitchhiker is not trademarked or copyrighted and its not the brand name of any towels that im aware of.

im not using any existing slogan for towels that im aware of either, and simply referencing an awesome book does not mean that im lifting the slogan from it. im simply stating a that towels are a hitchhikers best friend.

i would argue that this is a new slogan for towels that i havnt seen before, and since its referencing a known cult novel i think its pretty hip. so im not seeing why you chose to, out of all the other shirts that reference something else, you came to mine and say that it "tramples the soul of the theme" to that i'd say that you are being overly dramatic and obviously just trying to bash my entry because you have a personal grudge with me.

im sorry that my design offends you in some way, i was just making a shirt that i think people would love to wear and that has some personal meaning to me. i think im hardly corrupting the derby with it.


This is "not just clever, but clever-clever," as David Bowie would say. I don't know who you are, but I feel we are brothers from another mother. This is so unbelievably subtle, it's genius and I'm really sad you aren't in the fog, because I would consider anyone who wore this Tshirt "the coolest guy at comicon!" I want one of these so I can wear it to comicon and get Capt. Kirk to want his picture with ME! That's how cool this shirt is!
brUno

PS- "#1, make it so!"
*vote*

dalekempress


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalekempress
Re: TOWELS


I think this is the only shirt out of this derby that I would actually wear. LOVE IT!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail