Derby #194: Science Fair
+847

Spectrum

add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Spectrum


I wanted to do a design related to prisms because that was the first science fair project I ever did. I wanted to make an interesting design, so I thought it would be cool to combine it with the idea of different colors of light affecting plant growth. This design was the outcome, hope you enjoy

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: Spectrum


Fractal Tree+Transitions+Prismatic (india derby)=????





megadog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
odysseyroc wrote:Fractal Tree+Transitions+Prismatic (india derby)=????


Deja vu lol

Or is it 'The Dark Side of the Moon' time again? lol

BambooDrew


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BambooDrew
Re: Spectrum


Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Indigo, Violet and White = 6 Colors.

explodedwhale


quality posts: 5 Private Messages explodedwhale

If ever similar shirts existed...

clarinerd


quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
BambooDrew wrote:Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Indigo, Violet and White = 6 Colors.


Hmmmm, That looks more like seven colors to me... However, those aren't the colors used in this design. To me it looks more like Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, White, and Grey.

gryphoncreation


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gryphoncreation
Re: Spectrum


wow, I love this, it's a good continuation theme with the tree, and really is a creative double meaning of light.

megadog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
ramyb wrote:I wanted to do a design related to prisms because that was the first science fair project I ever did.

Well it is such a pity that you didn't learn that light passes through a prism - it does not stop or start on the edges.
sorry to be pedantic - Isaac Newton got the right idea lol

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
odysseyroc wrote:Fractal Tree+Transitions+Prismatic (india derby)=????


The style does seem to be very VERY fractal tree-esque. I don't mind him recycling his own design. that is something artist do, but if that style was intentional stolen from the fractal tree (which it seems that way), then I have a HUGE issue with that.

This seems like sadface to me... no respect.

Edit: I went back to the fractal tree and its not as close as I remember. It still is very similar in style, but not a complete rip off of the other artist. Still doesn't make it okay if it was intentional act.


ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
chumpmagic wrote:The style does seem to be very VERY fractal tree-esque. I don't mind him recycling his own design. that is something artist do, but if that style was intentional stolen from the fractal tree (which it seems that way), then I have a HUGE issue with that.

This seems like sadface to me... no respect.

Edit: I went back to the fractal tree and its not as close as I remember. It still is very similar in style, but not a complete rip off of the other artist. Still doesn't make it okay if it was intentional act.


The technique I used is very similar to the one I used in these two designs (which came long before fractal tree):
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34933
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=30520

I don't really see a very strong similarity to fractal tree, any moreso than any other swirly designs.

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
ramyb wrote:The technique I used is very similar to the one I used in these two designs (which came long before fractal tree):
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34933
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=30520

I don't really see a very strong similarity to fractal tree, any moreso than any other swirly designs.


I did go back and review the fractal tree. It was far more different than I remember. I will admit that.

I think the thing that made the immediate connection was the floating stroke, the outline around the entire piece. The fact that its a stylized, swirly tree with a transition of colors, does have some influence, but adding the floating outline is what made it seem too close for comfort for me.... if that makes sense.


spilzer


quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer
ramyb wrote:The technique I used is very similar to the one I used in these two designs (which came long before fractal tree):
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34933
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=30520

I don't really see a very strong similarity to fractal tree, any moreso than any other swirly designs.


Don't forget this one:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49460

dgshinkle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgshinkle
Re: Spectrum


Very nicely done. Breaking out of your norm produces stunning work. it get my Vote.

Edison Plays Dirty STAFF: Well, I tried. Looks like the image won't stay until you buy something. Still, please don't post your derby entry in the body of posts.

dgshinkle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgshinkle
chumpmagic wrote:I did go back and review the fractal tree. It was far more different than I remember. I will admit that.

I think the thing that made the immediate connection was the floating stroke, the outline around the entire piece. The fact that its a stylized, swirly tree with a transition of colors, does have some influence, but adding the floating outline is what made it seem too close for comfort for me.... if that makes sense.


I get what you mean. I havent been around long enough to see the "ramyb effect". I was just glad to see a departure form the turtles.

Edison Plays Dirty STAFF: Well, I tried. Looks like the image won't stay until you buy something. Still, please don't post your derby entry in the body of posts.

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
Re: Spectrum


trying to ride the floyd shirt craze.

gwyn779


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwyn779
Re: Spectrum


Ok, it wasn't instantaneously obvious that this was supposed to be a prism because the angles are all wrong. Aside from all the other controversy, as a physics person, it's driving me nuts. From an artistic standpoint as well, I think it might work even better if the white light/roots were coming in from the left so that the scattered spectrum would end up vertical.

alis0ntalb0t


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alis0ntalb0t
gwyn779 wrote:Ok, it wasn't instantaneously obvious that this was supposed to be a prism because the angles are all wrong. Aside from all the other controversy, as a physics person, it's driving me nuts. From an artistic standpoint as well, I think it might work even better if the white light/roots were coming in from the left so that the scattered spectrum would end up vertical.


Yes, but then it wouldn't really look like a tree. It's called "artistic license."

gwyn779


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwyn779
alis0ntalb0t wrote:Yes, but then it wouldn't really look like a tree. It's called "artistic license."


I don't know, I think it could be a lot closer to accurate angles and still look like a tree.

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
Re: Spectrum


I posted this comment on another shirt, but I think it applies here as well.

"I hope Monday brings some sweeping rejections, because it's starting to seem like an "anything remotely related to science" derby and not "middle school science fair"."

megadog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
gwyn779 wrote:I don't know, I think it could be a lot closer to accurate angles and still look like a tree.

i agree gwyn- if it is supposed to be a 'science fair' design then at least the 'science' part should be reasonably accurate. The prism in this design is wrong!!
Ramyb stated 'I wanted to do a design related to prisms because that was the first science fair project I ever did'
OK do a design related to prisms but at least get the prism right and then let the 'art' and 'creative' bit flow from it.
just my opinion on of the 'science' part the design.

timelessblur


quality posts: 4 Private Messages timelessblur
Re: Spectrum


this to me is almost a pink floyd rip off. Sorry but someone has to say it. That was my first though when I saw it.

k8edid3


quality posts: 2 Private Messages k8edid3
megadog wrote:i agree gwyn- if it is supposed to be a 'science fair' design then at least the 'science' part should be reasonably accurate. The prism in this design is wrong!!
Ramyb stated 'I wanted to do a design related to prisms because that was the first science fair project I ever did'
OK do a design related to prisms but at least get the prism right and then let the 'art' and 'creative' bit flow from it.
just my opinion on of the 'science' part the design.


i also completely agree. the angle is all wrong and that really really bothers me.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
odysseyroc wrote:Fractal Tree+Transitions+Prismatic (india derby)=????


The resemblance is indeed striking. Points for being first.

studio1172


quality posts: 0 Private Messages studio1172
Re: Spectrum


I hate tree designs. Seriously guys knock it off. Trees killed my uncles brothers cousin twice removed.

taternuggets


quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
dgshinkle wrote:Very nicely done. Breaking out of your norm produces stunning work. it get my Vote.


If only you could vote.


Nothing follows.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Spectrum


I try to keep my mouth shut in ramyb threads for the most part but - really? This is so reminscent of the Floyd cover design it got my hackles up. That's an iconic image, still large in the public mind. Bad job, really.

frik


quality posts: 1 Private Messages frik
paigeg wrote:I try to keep my mouth shut in ramyb threads for the most part but - really? This is so reminscent of the Floyd cover design it got my hackles up. That's an iconic image, still large in the public mind. Bad job, really.


Yeah, but he's going to stand to sell a lot of shirts, isn't that what it is all about?

No. Yes.

megadog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
paigeg wrote:I try to keep my mouth shut in ramyb threads for the most part but - really? This is so reminscent of the Floyd cover design it got my hackles up. That's an iconic image, still large in the public mind. Bad job, really.


Like I said in a previous post
'Dark side of the Moon' time again

Assassin15


quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
Johndis5 wrote:I posted this comment on another shirt, but I think it applies here as well.

"I hope Monday brings some sweeping rejections, because it's starting to seem like an "anything remotely related to science" derby and not "middle school science fair"."


Well that's what happened to the "Scientific Method" derby too if I remember correctly.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

timelessblur


quality posts: 4 Private Messages timelessblur
megadog wrote:Like I said in a previous post
'Dark side of the Moon' time again


I am rather shock woot has not rejected this shirt yet. I knew it was a bad rip off but that picture makes shows how truly bad of a rip off it is.

wubupon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wubupon
timelessblur wrote:I am rather shock woot has not rejected this shirt yet. I knew it was a bad rip off but that picture makes shows how truly bad of a rip off it is.


You are right. Since Pink Floyd depicted a light going through a prism on their album, then no one should ever depict a prism in any form ever again in any work of art (especially not with a black background). Might there be a difference between ripping off and being inspired by?

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
wubupon wrote:You are right. Since Pink Floyd depicted a light going through a prism on their album, then no one should ever depict a prism in any form ever again in any work of art (especially not with a black background). Might there be a difference between ripping off and being inspired by?


Certainly. But there is also being unoriginal and giving the appearance of blatantly 'cashing in'. And, more than anything, this submission does not fit the theme of 'science fair'. That's the bottom line, really.

k8edid3


quality posts: 2 Private Messages k8edid3
Re: Spectrum


i don't think you as put much thought into this design as you make out. not only is there a huge issue with the prism angle, your "colors of light affecting plant growth" as you state is scientifically incorrect. skirochester depicted it correctly in his design "the color of light" by actually researching it. see this experiment that gwen779 shared. plants reflect green light. so, that portion of your tree should be the smallest since green light inhibits growth. the red and blue portions should in turn be the tallest. you have the red portion as the shortest and the green as the tallest. that's the complete opposite of what whould actually happen. so, again, i'm wondering how your design was inspired by real science. seems to me you just wanted a pretty shirt that would rake in the votes. well, you are definitely NOT getting one from me!

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
paigeg wrote:Certainly. But there is also being unoriginal and giving the appearance of blatantly 'cashing in'. And, more than anything, this submission does not fit the theme of 'science fair'. That's the bottom line, really.


This is not even a situation of inspired by. Pink Floyd added nothing to the actual imagery of the phenomenon of light passing through a prism. It is not an idea they came up with. A prism is an actual object that appears in the real world, and is used in a number of science projects. The fact that I wanted to use a prism in a way that created an interesting design does not make it any less on topic. It is just like depicting a real painted sky pouring out of a jar for sky in a jar. Just because something reminds you of something else does not mean that is the source of inspiration for the piece.

dreamwootseeker


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dreamwootseeker
Johndis5 wrote:I posted this comment on another shirt, but I think it applies here as well.

"I hope Monday brings some sweeping rejections, because it's starting to seem like an "anything remotely related to science" derby and not "middle school science fair"."


I honestly don't see that happening. Practically all the designs in the fog are pretty much off topic. This of course is more egregious than the rest (obviously notwithstanding the TMNT one), but that changes nothing. Woot wants to sell shirts and if half the shirts in the fog are rejected, they wont.

I really feel it's time for woot to change it's character. It's become a pretense now - derbies with rules that are poorly (or sometimes not at all) enforced, the same things winning over and over, and clever/artistic designs losing out to pandering. Time to drop the act, woot. Be proud of becoming a sell out.

mixmastabeef


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixmastabeef

wait...

triatomico


quality posts: 0 Private Messages triatomico
dreamwootseeker wrote:I really feel it's time for woot to change it's character. It's become a pretense now - derbies with rules that are poorly (or sometimes not at all) enforced, the same things winning over and over, and clever/artistic designs losing out to pandering. Time to drop the act, woot. Be proud of becoming a sell out.


Wake up. This ain't the Louvre. It's an Internet business that sells tee shirts with drawings on them.

copperchesnut


quality posts: 3 Private Messages copperchesnut
Re: Spectrum

You can't seem to win everyone over no matter what you submit... In general I find your designs appealing, and although I don't buy them all, I definitely understand why they win so often. I've noticed you branching out in the past few derbies and I was still drawn to your designs even though they weren't cutesy little animals. Kudos for that - I'm holding out hope for your minor modifications design this time, though.

bluejester


quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
triatomico wrote:Wake up. This ain't the Louvre. It's an Internet business that sells tee shirts with drawings on them.


I second this. I don't particularly care for this design as it reminds me too much of the rejected one from the India derby. That being said, the whole "You're such a sellout" line is an ad-hominem attack at best. Money is needed to run a business. I know there might be some long-winded rant that could attempt to counter this, but first it would have to ignore the fact that woot is trying to make money first and foremost.

Sorry, but it can get that simple at times.

zwilkens


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zwilkens
Re: Spectrum


I would totally love this, but it reminds me of Pink Floyd. I don't see it as a ripoff, I think it is its own entity, but the fact that it *reminds* me of the Pink Floyd shirt will keep my from buying it. I hate them.

raven0445


quality posts: 0 Private Messages raven0445
zwilkens wrote:I would totally love this, but it reminds me of Pink Floyd. I don't see it as a ripoff, I think it is its own entity, but the fact that it *reminds* me of the Pink Floyd shirt will keep my from buying it. I hate them.


there is something incredibly wrong with you if you hate pink floyd.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail