Derby #200: The Silver Screen
+229

Breaking News!

Breaking News!
add a comment

Comments

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: Breaking News!


You know how movies in WW2 days had those news briefs before the film started? There would be a globe with a radio tower and it would say "breaking news or something".
This is based on that, except the breaking news is a giant alien robot (it is certainly not an octopus, which I love to draw.)

collinvh


quality posts: 67 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Breaking News!


I like your design. Very wearable... I hope. +1

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Breaking News!


Very cool!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
ochopika wrote:You know how movies in WW2 days had those news briefs before the film started? There would be a globe with a radio tower and it would say "breaking news or something".
This is based on that, except the breaking news is a giant alien robot (it is certainly not an octopus, which I love to draw.)


Well, I believe you found a clever way to bring what you love to table. Very "topic worthy," and really well done!

Nice combination...
BlindDog3D

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

blinddog3d wrote:Well, I believe you found a clever way to bring what you love to table. Very "topic worthy," and really well done!

Nice combination...
BlindDog3D


Thank you! I am trying to exercise my brain with my designs. Thanks to everyone else who's voted and said such nice things as well!

grrlmarvel


quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Breaking News!


Yes. Please. Very wearable. Simplistic in a great way. Reminds me of the RKO Tower. And I'm a sucker for tentacles. GMV.

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

grrlmarvel wrote:Yes. Please. Very wearable. Simplistic in a great way. Reminds me of the RKO Tower. And I'm a sucker for tentacles. GMV.


Hahaha tentacles often have suckers on them so that is funny to me.

Thank you much

laggyg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages laggyg
Re: Breaking News!


WANT WANT WANT! =D
For some reason it made me think of the Sim City 2000 alien that would occasionally attack you...even though that ship had more arm-like-grabby-apendages than tentacles...

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

laggyg wrote:WANT WANT WANT! =D
For some reason it made me think of the Sim City 2000 alien that would occasionally attack you...even though that ship had more arm-like-grabby-apendages than tentacles...


Oh my! Yes the body is quite similar. My first few sketches looked like a tootsie-roll pop with arms, so mine may have been lollipop-inspired.

walmazan


quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Breaking News!


this is so good and I love the colors too!

grrlmarvel


quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
ochopika wrote:Hahaha tentacles often have suckers on them so that is funny to me.

Thank you much


TO honest, everything looks like tentacles to me sometimes. ;) Looks like you're getting some well deserved votes. Congrats!!

cosmiccelery


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cosmiccelery
Re: Breaking News!


This looks great! Definitely something I'd wear. I love the simple color use.

dijay


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay
Re: Breaking News!


Great design and great colors. I like it ;)

Zagazoo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zagazoo
Re: Breaking News!


Hehehe, awesome +1

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: Breaking News!


Thanks everyone for saying more nice stuff! Perhaps I will continue making octopus-inspired designs. Maybe one will print...*sketching mind-control octopus for next derby* yessss...

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

grrlmarvel wrote:TO honest, everything looks like tentacles to me sometimes. ;) Looks like you're getting some well deserved votes. Congrats!!


Thank you!

And I was referring to the suction cups on an octopus.. cuz when I read my own comment again it sounds like I meant that people who are suckers are often on tentacles...but that makes no sense.

theseize


quality posts: 1 Private Messages theseize
Re: Breaking News!


This design is tiiiiiight!

I'm glad that you've stuck with the shirt designing. I think this one has a great chance of winning and yes, I do want one!

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

theseize wrote:This design is tiiiiiight!

I'm glad that you've stuck with the shirt designing. I think this one has a great chance of winning and yes, I do want one!


Thank you! I hope it has a sudden and miraculous avalanche of votes, but if not I'll keep trying :P

gayemeyer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gayemeyer
Re: Breaking News!


Go figure! what with Armageddon in the news, perhaps you have a most timely design--which of course, I love.

PixelPotato


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PixelPotato
Re: Breaking News!


Love it and wearable

theseize


quality posts: 1 Private Messages theseize
Re: Breaking News!


This shirt makes me think of the radio play version of The War of the Worlds (1938 War of the Worlds radio drama).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_%28radio_drama%29

Your monster there does remind me of the monsters from War of the Worlds... Wikepedia describes them as 'bulky, octopus-like creatures' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds#Plot).

theseize


quality posts: 1 Private Messages theseize
theseize wrote:This shirt makes me think of the radio play version of The War of the Worlds (1938 War of the Worlds radio drama).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_%28radio_drama%29

Your monster there does remind me of the monsters from War of the Worlds... Wikepedia describes them as 'bulky, octopus-like creatures' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds#Plot).


Note, when that radio play aired, a lot of people thought it was an actual news bulletin because of the style it was delivered in. :D

theseize


quality posts: 1 Private Messages theseize
theseize wrote:Note, when that radio play aired, a lot of people thought it was an actual news bulletin because of the style it was delivered in. :D


http://usedbooksblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/war-of-the-worlds-hg-wells-1960.jpg

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

theseize wrote:Note, when that radio play aired, a lot of people thought it was an actual news bulletin because of the style it was delivered in. :D


LOL yes! That was the original inspiration for the idea, and I have heard of the radio broadcast... so great.

I first thought of drawing on octopus, then remembered that the war of the worlds aliens were kind of tentacly (or spidery), then drew some sketches that looked like lollipops or flying saucers with legs. I arrived at this design after all that.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Breaking News!


this is such a lovely, simple design.

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

AdderXYU wrote:this is such a lovely, simple design.


Thank you, Adder

laggyg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages laggyg
Re: Breaking News!


Grats on the HM! =D

So, now we just have to make sure it prints in the next Double Take because I need to own this shirt. Seriously. I need to own multiple copies of it, so I can wear the hell out of one and not worry about messing it up because I have a backup shirt (or 7 =D hehe). I know we had a conversation about the color pink on the first design of yours I really noticed (and an inside joke for a little while haha) but the color yellow is my color, and you used it awesomely in a really kick-ass design here.

Also, just a side note, an HM from a previous derby just got the Editor's Choice print today, so there's still hope for that route for this design too!
*crosses fingers, toes, legs, arms (you have no idea what typing like that is like...go ahead, try it!)*

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

laggyg wrote:Grats on the HM! =D
So, now we just have to make sure it prints in the next Double Take because I need to own this shirt. Seriously. I need to own multiple copies of it, so I can wear the hell out of one and not worry about messing it up because I have a backup shirt (or 7 =D hehe). I know we had a conversation about the color pink on the first design of yours I really noticed (and an inside joke for a little while haha) but the color yellow is my color, and you used it awesomely in a really kick-ass design here.

Also, just a side note, an HM from a previous derby just got the Editor's Choice print today, so there's still hope for that route for this design too!
*crosses fingers, toes, legs, arms (you have no idea what typing like that is like...go ahead, try it!)*


That would be great, who doesn't need the extra monies and publicity? Thanks for the good wishes, and don't hurt yourself :P

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail