Derby #200: The Silver Screen

The Seven Samurabbits

Taken directly from original movie still

Rejected because: Taken directly from original movie still

add a comment

Comments

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: The Seven Samurabbits

I loved watching black & white Samurai movies as a child & I love them even more now!

A comibination nod to Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" and "Usagi Yojimbo" (Rabbit Bodyguard a famous folk lore about a rabbit samurai) and Toshiro Mifune, one of the greatest Samurai Actors of all time. He was Kurosawa's favorite actor.

4 colors on silver.
BlindDog3D

I hope you like it enough to vote and wear it!

thedonquixotic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedonquixotic
blinddog3d wrote:A comibination nod to Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" and "Usagi Yojimbo" (Rabbit Bodyguard a famous folk lore about a rabbit samurai).

4 colors on silver.
BlindDog3D

I hope you like it enough to vote and wear it!


I find the back story behind it interesting. Woot shirt does love rabbits.

----- drunkenyear.tumblr.com
----- thedonquixotic.daportfolio.com
----- Frankie's Revenge

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
thedonquixotic wrote:I find the back story behind it interesting. Woot shirt does love rabbits.


you want a story?
OK,I was so sick of all the b1tching about people doing cutesy-wootsy designs and WINNING! It's a game, it has perameters, rules... etc. I play games well and I'm a pretty good artist. I'm kinda new to Tshirt desig, but I've done comic books and illustration for 25 years! I can do "deadlines!" This is my kinda game!

So, to show off my new McDaddy skillz, I was going to enter 9 desighns in this derby, all having a common theme: Rabbits!

Attack of the 50 ft. bunny
7 Samurabbits
Casablunny
From Hare to Eternity
The Hunch-buck of Notre Dame
Moby Jack
Citizen Hare
Frankenbunny
Pengzilla VS. Mothrabbit
...and Gone with the Hare

I got started and had 3 done, when I started working on Seven Samurabbits. These were s'posed 2B "quick and cutesy," but I couldn't do it, I went full out on this one (down to the last detail). 16 hours!

I may finish some of the other 4, if I have time tomorrow (wait, it is tomorrow), ...we'll see?

I'm really happy with this one. It turned out so much better than I imagined. So, what started off as "showing Off," rendered me a pearl.


There's you a story, G'nite, C U 2morrow!..
Zzzzzzzzzzzz!
BlindDog3D

dojorat2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dojorat2
Re: The Seven Samurabbits


Great shirt, I would buy one.

Can you provided some close ups to better show the details and the individual rabbits.

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d

Great shirt, I would buy one.

Can you provided some close ups to better show the details and the individual rabbits.


Sure, but I can't right now, I'm leaving for "Fan Day Comicon" where I'm going to meet Stan Lee (My Hero and God)!

I'll upload some tonight, Thanx 4 your comments, though!
BlindDog3D

neoheraclitan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages neoheraclitan
Re: The Seven Samurabbits


This is very impressive. I hope it wins!

D3lusional


quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
Re: The Seven Samurabbits


So this isn't a trace with bunny heads tacked on... right?

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
D3lusional wrote:So this isn't a trace with bunny heads tacked on... right?


Right, ...you're funny, bunny! That's the second time someone has questioned my hand skillz! I'm "Old School," I can draw! a computer is just a smart paintbrush, for me.

No, this was hand brushed and scanned in for tweeking. Here is the original scan...


Any other questions? Good! Now VOTE!
BlindDog3D

D3lusional


quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
blinddog3d wrote:Right, ...you're funny, bunny! That's the second time someone has questioned my hand skillz! I'm "Old School," I can draw! a computer is just a smart paintbrush, for me.

No, this was hand brushed and scanned in for tweeking. Here is the original scan...


Any other questions? Good! Now VOTE!
BlindDog3D



Yeah one more question. If it wasn't traced, why? The details down to the creases in the cloths and the blades of grass match the photo. So why meticulously copy every single detail by hand, when you could just trace it. And is it really all that different from tracing if you do copy it soooo well?

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
D3lusional wrote:Yeah one more question. If it wasn't traced, why? The details down to the creases in the cloths and the blades of grass match the photo. So why meticulously copy every single detail by hand, when you could just trace it. And is it really all that different from tracing if you do copy it soooo well?


Yes, it's different! How many people do you know personally that can do that?

That's what a tribute does, it's gets as close as possible. I did it because, "I CAN!" When I copy stuff, I'm a "Human Xerox." I've been drawing for 42 years, by hand. I own this poster and I know it well. I've seen this movie over 100 times and can watch it in my sleep. It's still not exact, but it's as close as I can get.

The grass is just basic, random brushstrokes that captured the light and dark areas. I fiddled with this for 2 days & I'm really happy with it.

If it's not your cup o' "green tea," ...I have a few more designs I'm entering tonight that are from scratch. So, you won't have anything to compare them to. The Samurabbits, on the other hand, are open for comparison. Hope you like what you find.

See you in the funny papers.
BlindDog3D

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
blinddog3d wrote:Sure, but I can't right now, I'm leaving for "Dallas Fan Day Comicon" where I'm going to meet Stan Lee (My Hero and God)!

I'll upload some tonight, Thanx 4 your comments, though!
BlindDog3D


Well, I met Stan "The Man" Lee and told him how influencial he was in me becoming an artiist. I thanked him for making comic books an American Artform. I had so many things I wanted to ask and tell him, but I didn't want to get all clingy and nerdy, so ...I ask him to marry me and security carried me out... jus kiddin'...It was awesome! He's such a happy guy! (...and funny, too, well he is "The Man!")

JFYI,
BlindDog3D

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: The Seven Samurabbits


Awww. Boo rejectionator!

move along

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: The Seven Samurabbits

Rejected!

...And, "Bob's your uncle."

That sucks, but... I got more. I really liked this one, though, and it was getting the love, too! (All, except from 3Djealousy?)

Se ya in a "bit" ...a rabbit!
BlindDog3D

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: The Seven Samurabbits


Dam! Killed by my Mad Skillz!
It's was Justified, I should've spent the time with original poses in the same setting. I was getting off on how good it looks, and still do.

But I'm getting closer to what folks like, "just keep swimmin'...."
BlindDog3D

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
blinddog3d wrote:Dam! Killed by my Mad Skillz!
It's was Justified, I should've spent the time with original poses in the same setting. I was getting off on how good it looks, and still do.

But I'm getting closer to what folks like, "just keep swimmin'...."
BlindDog3D


Hey Bruno, did you check the last derby results? No bunnies...just sayin'. Check your head.

move along

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
j5 wrote:Hey Bruno, did you check the last derby results? No bunnies...just sayin'. Check your head.


I was gonna make a statment with 9 bunny entries, but I spent too much time on the "Magnificent 7." And the Usagi Yojimbo thing was respectable enough to use bunnies (They're not "cutesy-wootsy"TM).
kingf
I was going to make them all simple, and I did, with the other ones, but I got hung up in the gradient haltones. I'm rworking the others without it, just to show my sense of humour and my cartoon skillz.

I can count on one hand the designs in this derby that are worthy of fogging, and a dozen well done, humorous other designs. A couple late, funny ones won't hurt anyone's security.

My wife has slept on the couch for 2 nights, cuz I was pulling an all-nighters with the bunnies, so I can't do anything till tomorrow. But I'll enter 3 tomorrow.

Thanks, and G'night.
brUno

fuzzzydunlop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzzydunlop
blinddog3d wrote:Dam! Killed by my Mad Skillz!
It's was Justified, I should've spent the time with original poses in the same setting. I was getting off on how good it looks, and still do.

But I'm getting closer to what folks like, "just keep swimmin'...."
BlindDog3D


mad tracing skillz?

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
fuzzzydunlop wrote:mad tracing skillz?


Nice!

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: The Seven Samurabbits


All the wrangling aside, I must say that the rejectionator is confusing me this week. I frequently use photos, then do a trace on a transparent layer. This week, in fact. Three separate photos were used for reference. I merged the lines of two pics of women, and altered my trace over the photo of a bird to get it the way I wanted it. Then the photos get ditched and I work on the details. Is this wrong? I fail to see the issue, even if this design was traced. A trace becomes unique art as you add/alter details. And I don't consider it a no-no, any more than the fogged shirt that's a compilation of vectors - no drawing at all.
Urk, I'm grumpy this morning.

kevlar51


quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
paigeg wrote:All the wrangling aside, I must say that the rejectionator is confusing me this week. I frequently use photos, then do a trace on a transparent layer. This week, in fact. Three separate photos were used for reference. I merged the lines of two pics of women, and altered my trace over the photo of a bird to get it the way I wanted it. Then the photos get ditched and I work on the details. Is this wrong? I fail to see the issue, even if this design was traced. A trace becomes unique art as you add/alter details. And I don't consider it a no-no, any more than the fogged shirt that's a compilation of vectors - no drawing at all.
Urk, I'm grumpy this morning.


I think the rule of thumb is that it's OK to trace your own photos, and it's not OK to trace others' photos.

jnorah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
Re: The Seven Samurabbits


I don't understand why this was rejected I see so many images out there that look like the original with very minor changes the Marilyn Monroe and such. That sux I really like this and I love your inspiration for the design. I almost did the same thing as stated in the forum. I even change my design for my own submission based on what happened here.

I have 1st edition Yojimbo and I own a copy of Seven Samurai.

{{volmod edit: no advertising derby designs in your comments. Please keep derby submission ads in your signature. Thank you.}}

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
blinddog3d wrote:Nice!


Did you just admit to tracing?

Man....first Santa, then the Rapture, now this...

move along

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
j5 wrote:Did you just admit to tracing?

Man....first Santa, then the Rapture, now this...


No, and I didn't admit to being "Fat," either. It's "nice" because it shows how close I got. If I traced it, I would've had this in on Friday. I don't cry over spilled woots, I just learn and "keep swimming."

It's "rejected," and we know why, 'nuff said. They told us, if you parody too close, it's in jepordy of rejection, and not to whine about it. I played it too close, got chopped, and I haven't "whined" once.

I had some work come up, or I would've re-done it. I decided to save the others I did and recycle them in future woots. I leave for Phoenix, tonight, for a week, so I'm pretty much done with this derby. So, be nice while I'm gone or I'll bring my pencil.

See y'all next derby. I'll try to be more "original" in the future. Thanks for playing!
BlindDog3D

gaustinw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gaustinw

This is the only shirt I would've worn. Amazing and funny.

Deomonte21


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deomonte21
gaustinw wrote:This is the only shirt I would've worn. Amazing and funny.


I also want to say this is the only shirt I voted on and the only one I would have bought. I wish you would provide a high res picture of this image so i could print a shirt myself.

kevincrimi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevincrimi
blinddog3d wrote:No, and I didn't admit to being "Fat," either. It's "nice" because it shows how close I got. If I traced it, I would've had this in on Friday. I don't cry over spilled woots, I just learn and "keep swimming."

It's "rejected," and we know why, 'nuff said. They told us, if you parody too close, it's in jepordy of rejection, and not to whine about it. I played it too close, got chopped, and I haven't "whined" once.

I had some work come up, or I would've re-done it. I decided to save the others I did and recycle them in future woots. I leave for Phoenix, tonight, for a week, so I'm pretty much done with this derby. So, be nice while I'm gone or I'll bring my pencil.

See y'all next derby. I'll try to be more "original" in the future. Thanks for playing!
BlindDog3D


Now that's a class act wooter.

Much respect for this


Check out my Derby Shirt!

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Deomonte21 wrote:I also want to say this is the only shirt I voted on and the only one I would have bought. I wish you would provide a high res picture of this image so i could print a shirt myself.


Sure, send $85 to my PayPal and I'll send you the vector file with seps. It's in my contract that I get one shirt from every run. XXL, PLS.

blinddog3d@hotmail.com
Thanks,
brUno

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
blinddog3d wrote:Sure, send $85 to my PayPal and I'll send you the vector file with seps. It's in my contract that I get one shirt from every run. XXL, PLS.

blinddog3d@hotmail.com
Thanks,
brUno


Blinddog...I think you have to wait 6 months before you get back the rights to any artwork submitted here.(If I am wrong, maybe someone can clarify this further?)
(Not sure what the policy is if it's rejected though.)

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

jnorah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
SnowQueenVT wrote:Blinddog...I think you have to wait 6 months before you get back the rights to any artwork submitted here.(If I am wrong, maybe someone can clarify this further?)
(Not sure what the policy is if it's rejected though.)


Actually it is 60 days so 2 months. But I believe that may only apply to the selected entries and not those that did not win.

SnowQueenVT


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
jnorah wrote:Actually it is 60 days so 2 months. But I believe that may only apply to the selected entries and not those that did not win.


I think it applies to any submitted artwork...are you sure about the 60 days?I guess that sounds familiar.Thanks Jnorah.

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
SnowQueenVT wrote:I think it applies to any submitted artwork...are you sure about the 60 days?I guess that sounds familiar.Thanks Jnorah.


It is 60 days, but this was rejected, meaning they will NOT print it. It only applies to entries that make it to the end of the derby. They give you 24 hrs. to change your mind. If they print this after rejecting it, I'll call my attorney & see what options I have, but this Tshirt needs to be made & worn. It's just 2kool4skool.

BlindDog3D

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
blinddog3d wrote:It is 60 days, but this was rejected, meaning they will NOT print it. It only applies to entries that make it to the end of the derby. They give you 24 hrs. to change your mind. If they print this after rejecting it, I'll call my attorney & see what options I have, but this Tshirt needs to be made & worn. It's just 2kool4skool.

BlindDog3D


Hey, Thunderthighs,
can we get clarification on this, please? ...and Thank you.
BlindDog3D

jnorah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
SnowQueenVT wrote:I think it applies to any submitted artwork...are you sure about the 60 days?I guess that sounds familiar.Thanks Jnorah.


Check here again I think it only applies if you win or get honorable mention

striker138


quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
jnorah wrote:Check here again I think it only applies if you win or get honorable mention


All submissions are subject to the 60 day rule. That link only says that if you received an Honorable Mention, your design is automatically entered into the Double Take Derby... unless you have passed the 60 day period, and want to take your design elsewhere.


jnorah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
striker138 wrote:All submissions are subject to the 60 day rule. That link only says that if you received an Honorable Mention, your design is automatically entered into the Double Take Derby... unless you have passed the 60 day period, and want to take your design elsewhere.


Can you please point to the section where this is said. I have looked and have not found it. Just for Clarification as I am sure a lot of people on this forum would this information very useful.

Thanks in Advance

striker138


quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
jnorah wrote:Can you please point to the section where this is said. I have looked and have not found it. Just for Clarification as I am sure a lot of people on this forum would this information very useful.

Thanks in Advance


I am thinking it is set out on the submission page, which isn't available at the moment.


striker138


quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
jnorah wrote:Can you please point to the section where this is said. I have looked and have not found it. Just for Clarification as I am sure a lot of people on this forum would this information very useful.

Thanks in Advance



Here is the rule stated in a previous thread by Woot Staffer TGentry. Hope this helps.

http://shirt.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4110922

"If memory serves: you HAVE to wait 60 days from the date of original submission, no matter what. So if you sub a design, then 30 days later it appears in the redo derby, you still have to wait another 30 days before you can sub it elsewhere. IF it's been 60 days and your entry appears later in the double take derby and does not print, it does NOT reset for another 60 days. You're free to do whatever with it."


jnorah


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
striker138 wrote:Here is the rule stated in a previous thread by Woot Staffer TGentry. Hope this helps.

http://shirt.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4110922

"If memory serves: you HAVE to wait 60 days from the date of original submission, no matter what. So if you sub a design, then 30 days later it appears in the redo derby, you still have to wait another 30 days before you can sub it elsewhere. IF it's been 60 days and your entry appears later in the double take derby and does not print, it does NOT reset for another 60 days. You're free to do whatever with it."



Thanks this is helpful I went and read the post but even he states that he is not sure. So I wonder if there is something Official in writing from Shirt.Woot! on this????

Shirt.woot! Moderator can we get some help here?

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
jnorah wrote:Can you please point to the section where this is said. I have looked and have not found it. Just for Clarification as I am sure a lot of people on this forum would this information very useful.

Thanks in Advance


It's in the terms. Woot has the rights for 60 days after you submit a design (even if you remove it within the 24 hours or it's rejected). That's in section 4. I don't think it actually mentions rejected designs, but staffers have said in the past that it does apply to rejected designs too. They've even given an HM to a rejected design before. And they printed a rejected version of a design once.

Terms


striker138


quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
BootsBoots wrote:It's in the terms. Woot has the rights for 60 days after you submit a design (even if you remove it within the 24 hours or it's rejected). That's in section 4. I don't think it actually mentions rejected designs, but staffers have said in the past that it does apply to rejected designs too. They've even given an HM to a rejected design before. And they printed a rejected version of a design once.

Terms


Yeah.. um.. what she said.


Mancho


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho
Re: The Seven Samurabbits


From another shirt's thread:

blinddog3d wrote:Well, we know why The Seven Samurabbits got rejected. It was headed to the fog, with a bullet & the green monster reared it's ugly head & the tattletails cried, "please, somebody STOP THIS! It looks just like it, except they have bunny heads and Mt. Fuji in the back but look, every single blade of grass was traced."


Congrats on making sure I never vote for any of your present/future designs.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail