Derby #204: I ❤ Books!
+196

too much reading will damage your vision

too much reading will damage your vision
add a comment

Comments

chunkydesign


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
Re: too much reading will damage your vision

I know is way too late to be submiting anything to a derby, but I would like to get some feedback on this concept, because, to be honest, I´m not sure of what to think of it myself...
For anyone not familiar with this optical illusion - Cafe Wall Illusion

wootvan


quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


I like the work, ChunkyD...even knowing that the lines are parallel, I find it hard to wrap my mind around the concept.


Here is another link.

holothuria


quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria

My brain! What did you do to my brain? +1 from me, although I wish you'd put them in a bookcase, so it would be clear that they really are rectilinear.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

chunkydesign


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


Thank you both for your feedback and comments. As for the bookcase that was also my idea, but since I didn´t have much time to work on this and try different approaches, I ended up using a safe one that would guarantee the optical illusion worked.

march2867


quality posts: 0 Private Messages march2867


chunkydesign wrote:I know is way too late to be submiting anything to a derby, but I would like to get some feedback on this concept, because, to be honest, I´m not sure of what to think of it myself...
For anyone not familiar with this optical illusion - Cafe Wall Illusion


I think the illusion is great but I don't like the title - it states reading is detrimental.

phineus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phineus
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


aw man I wish this wasn't so late, it's way better than half the stuff in the fog

chunkydesign


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chunkydesign
march2867 wrote:I think the illusion is great but I don't like the title - it states reading is detrimental.


I understand your point, but I think you´re "reading too much" into that title. It´s just a simple play on words, between the damaged vision and the fact that our brain trick us into seeing something different from what is really there.

march2867


quality posts: 0 Private Messages march2867
chunkydesign wrote:I understand your point, but I think you´re "reading too much" into that title. It´s just a simple play on words, between the damaged vision and the fact that our brain trick us into seeing something different from what is really there.


If that is what you meant the title to mean, that our brains can trick us into seeing something different from what is really there (the damaged vision), then there is no correlation with reading, unless reading is in fact the cause.
How about "Stories can blur the lines of reality."
Still, I'd vote for it because the shirt doesn't have the title on it. The illusion is baffling. I clicked on the link to wiki and then back to your shirt and actually followed the horizontal lines with my finger. It's like an Escher.

mverc


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mverc
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


Don't see many optical illusions on Woot...I like it. GMV


Leahbh


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
march2867 wrote:If that is what you meant the title to mean, that our brains can trick us into seeing something different from what is really there (the damaged vision), then there is no correlation with reading, unless reading is in fact the cause.
How about "Stories can blur the lines of reality."
Still, I'd vote for it because the shirt doesn't have the title on it. The illusion is baffling. I clicked on the link to wiki and then back to your shirt and actually followed the horizontal lines with my finger. It's like an Escher.


dude, it's just a title! it's not a big deal

marmiiite


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marmiiite
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


My first impression: BACON

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


Love the concept and I too like it much better than some of the fogged shirts.

As crazy as it sounds, my first thought was "I wonder if this would be slenderizing". I'm sure that isn't a word, but I shur thunk it.

raerae104


quality posts: 0 Private Messages raerae104
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


This is great. If it doesn't fog (wich it might considering how fast its climbing) I hope it gets an HM so we can see it again.

mothlab


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mothlab
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


It's cool. It says reading creates a world of illusion.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


Prolly not something I would wear, and it's on a gray shirt, which I'm currently (trying to) boycott(ing). But damned fine and cool. +1

capsfanbryce


quality posts: 4 Private Messages capsfanbryce
Leahbh wrote:dude, it's just a title! it's not a big deal


Amen! Great design on this shirt, hope to see it printed in the future. Thanks for testing the Woot waters, even if the submission was a bit late.

neoheraclitan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages neoheraclitan
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


This is really interesting. I feel like I'd prefer it if there were just a few colors mixed in. I'm sorry I didn't see it in time to vote for it. An alternative to cute doesn't come around enough.

fuznic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuznic
march2867 wrote:I think the illusion is great but I don't like the title - it states reading is detrimental.


...so nobody here has ever been reading late into the middle of the night when they should be sleeping and had thier eyes start to cross until the lines on the page run on and on and together and stuff in your closet looks to be moving?

Adelas


quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas
Re: too much reading will damage your vision

I'm too late to vote (boo!) but wanted to say I really like this one. I think the enclosed bookcase "improvement" idea is cool in case you want to resub, although I'm not sure if it would give the eyes a better frame of reference and ruin the illusion. At any rate, kudos on your cool idea.

mojojojo435


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mojojojo435
Re: too much reading will damage your vision


super shirt. Just a pity it wasn't submitted sooner!

moronbrigade


quality posts: 23 Private Messages moronbrigade
mojojojo435 wrote:super shirt. Just a pity it wasn't submitted sooner!


Congratz on the honorable mention!

Seize the Opportunity.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail