Derby #220: HalloWoot! 2011
+923

Adorable Monstrosity

Adorable Monstrosity
add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


I doodled this little guy earlier today just for fun, but then couldn't resist finishing him

edit

joeyliz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeyliz

aww so cute!

but what happened to the other design from earlier?

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


WOO! PUMPKINS!.......

snarkygal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages snarkygal
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


WOO! PUMPKINS!.......i'm speechless

glindasgal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages glindasgal
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


this reminds me of the killer rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...was that your inspiration by any chance?

grahamcrackercoyote


quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
joeyliz wrote:aww so cute!

but what happened to the other design from earlier?


Rejected and removed - see ALL the entries HERE including all of the removed designs.

rasabi


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi
grahamcrackercoyote wrote:Rejected and removed - see ALL the entries HERE including all of the removed designs.


Probably just removed, actually. I've had a few entries I've removed myself that shirtwhat threw a rejected icon on for some reason.

lilygrapetree


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilygrapetree
glindasgal wrote:this reminds me of the killer rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...was that your inspiration by any chance?


Lol, funniest comment in a long while!

Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


Since there's no blood in a skull, I'm assuming the blood on the bunny's mouth is from breaking his teeth on the bone?

ChaosDoctor07


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
Nekkochan wrote:Since there's no blood in a skull, I'm assuming the blood on the bunny's mouth is from breaking his teeth on the bone?


This is a very astute observation.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

dribbles


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dribbles
Re: Adorable Monstrosity



GMV +1

Much better than your grim from last night.

holothuria


quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
Nekkochan wrote:Since there's no blood in a skull, I'm assuming the blood on the bunny's mouth is from breaking his teeth on the bone?


Maybe it was a full body when he started.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
holothuria wrote:Maybe it was a full body when he started.


...and he has carefully licked the skull completely clean of all tissue and blood, except for the spot where he's still nibbling? Whatever.

cakeninjak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cakeninjak
Nekkochan wrote:...and he has carefully licked the skull completely clean of all tissue and blood, except for the spot where he's still nibbling? Whatever.


It's taken 3-4 shirt designs for that rabbit to consume these guys....damn straight he's going to be thorough.

Flashkill


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flashkill
I really like the design but the Nom Nom Nom ruined it for me

Re: Adorable Monstrosity

bluetuba


quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


How in the world is this nom-ination of a shirt rising through the fog so fast?

juliaL719


quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
bluetuba wrote:How in the world is this nom-ination of a shirt rising through the fog so fast?


Your guess is as good as mine. Seems a bit phoned-in and off-topic, as far as Halloween is concerned.

crazydoglady


quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
bluetuba wrote:How in the world is this nom-ination of a shirt rising through the fog so fast?


My theory is that a tweet with the design name goes out to his fawning sycophants as soon as he posts any design.

crazydoglady


quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
juliaL719 wrote:Your guess is as good as mine. Seems a bit phoned-in and off-topic, as far as Halloween is concerned.


Agreed. And IMO it is disrespectful to wooters - by my calculations he earns more than the median U.S. income from wooters purchases, you'd think he could at least give us his best. He clearly has what it takes to give wooters quality but he "phones it in" because he knows his followers will get him in the fog and he has a good chance of printing. Kind of makes me think of an employee with lots of talent and skill who shows up late every day and spends most of the day on personal calls, but is so good at what he does that his 2 or 3 hours per day of actual work are better than what the average employee puts out in 8 hours, so he keeps his job.

zekecatz


quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


It reminds me just a little bit of World Nom-ination . Maybe it's the rabbit's pose. Maybe it's just me.

zwartepaard


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zwartepaard
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


Even with the shading, this design still looks very flat to me. And after a year and a half on the site, I'm going to have to agree with the consensus that there are far too many vacant-eyed rabbits that end up for sale each week. With all the other amazing work submitted each week, it's a shame that slightly different iterations of the same design keep winning because of a (apparently) quite massive fan base.

Also, I don't understand what this has to do with Halloween. I see a vague Monty Python before any idea of Halloween jumps to mindl. Skulls and a background blood spatter do not a HalloWoot shirt make...

aluhx


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aluhx
crazydoglady wrote:Agreed. And IMO it is disrespectful to wooters - by my calculations he earns more than the median U.S. income from wooters purchases, you'd think he could at least give us his best. He clearly has what it takes to give wooters quality but he "phones it in" because he knows his followers will get him in the fog and he has a good chance of printing. Kind of makes me think of an employee with lots of talent and skill who shows up late every day and spends most of the day on personal calls, but is so good at what he does that his 2 or 3 hours per day of actual work are better than what the average employee puts out in 8 hours, so he keeps his job.


Agreeing with this statement here. My roommate and I were very interested in the designs (including Cell Division!) until we saw they were from RamyB. History never lets us forget how we learned about him.

Please, Ramy, can we see something other than cute, beady-eyed animals? I'm sure you'll still get into the fog with something else, since you have a big fanbase. Widen your portfolio! <3

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
aluhx wrote:Agreeing with this statement here. My roommate and I were very interested in the designs (including Cell Division!) until we saw they were from RamyB. History never lets us forget how we learned about him.

Please, Ramy, can we see something other than cute, beady-eyed animals? I'm sure you'll still get into the fog with something else, since you have a big fanbase. Widen your portfolio! <3


I'm not sure what to make if this comment. It starts by saying that you liked a design of mine until you found out the artist's name, then you go on to say all my designs are the same when you started with an example that doesn't fit that mold.

Take a look at my actual woot portfolio:
http://shirtwhat.com/archive_a.php?artist=ramyb

Out of all my designs this year, I would say about 30% fall into the category of "cute, beady-eyed animals." In fact, of my last 8 prints, only one really falls under that category, with the rest exhibiting a variety of different styles. People seem to have the impression that cute animals are a ticket to success, but they really are not, and are in fact no easier to complete as designs than any other style.

I design what I enjoy, and that includes many different styles. Every time I do a cute design, though, these comments come up again and make me wonder if some people have the memory of goldfish or if they simply have failed to find any of my other designs, regardless of how they have done in the derby. And on the flip side, every time I do a design that doesn't have cute animals, I receive a great deal of praise for "trying something different."

I'm sorry to jump out in response to your comment specifically, especially since you were not rude or fighting at all in your post, but it is something I have been thinking and wanted to state and you gave me the opportunity.

I also wanted to mention one other point: I'm thankful to everyone who votes on my designs, regardless of the style, but I don't have a fanbase in my pocket waiting to vote for me when I ring a bell. Unlike many other artist's on this site, I don't advertise my designs anywhere, whatsoever, nor have I ever. No social networking sites, personal portfolios, etc. I didn't ask anyone to migrate from any other sites or anything of that sort.- I don't even put a link to my designs in my signature here on woot anymore. I have several times considered expanding to use one of those resources, but have never had the interest or found the need. All my "fans" and votes come from right here on woot, and I think my sales numbers speak for themselves. All kinds of conspiracy theories have cropped up to try to explain my woot success over the years, but I have just been lucky enough to find a market that enjoys what I create.

Thanks again to everyone who voted on this design, and on the two others I have in this derby, for your continued support

joeyliz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeyliz

nice to see you hit back Ramy!

i had a look at ur portfolio, lots of nice varying designs there, some cute some not....

i have to say i always look forward to seeing your entries each week, although can't say i always vote on them

this 1 def. has my vote!

(and yes ppl i kno the history...)

aluhx


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aluhx
ramyb wrote:I'm not sure what to make if this comment. It starts by saying that you liked a design of mine until you found out the artist's name, then you go on to say all my designs are the same when you started with an example that doesn't fit that mold.

[clipped to save from page-stretching]


Haha, thank you for remaining polite in your response to me!

If there is any way to private message, I would be more willing to discuss that there (I'm still... fairly new on shirt.woot, and I can't seem to find an option for it... is there one? o.o) for the sake of creating a large conversation on top of your entry.
Anyways, my apologies if I seemed very offensive; I think you have talent, I just wish that your designs would "evolve" more, but as you said, you draw what you like!

I do have more of a response if there is a private messaging system, and if you're interested in hearing it. :D

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
aluhx wrote:Haha, thank you for remaining polite in your response to me!

If there is any way to private message, I would be more willing to discuss that there (I'm still... fairly new on shirt.woot, and I can't seem to find an option for it... is there one? o.o) for the sake of creating a large conversation on top of your entry.
Anyways, my apologies if I seemed very offensive; I think you have talent, I just wish that your designs would "evolve" more, but as you said, you draw what you like!

I do have more of a response if there is a private messaging system, and if you're interested in hearing it. :D


I sent you a pm if you click community, you will see a little mail icon appear there with a link to your inbox. It is right above the listing of shirts, on the right side.

jovan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jovan

Okay, so I know Ramyb does bunnies pretty much all the time and some people get all bent out of shape about that. But I have to day, even if the theme is repetitive the details are really great. This one has just the right amount of blood dripping from the bunny's mouth, and the background texture is really well done. Got my vote!

aluhx


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aluhx
joeyliz wrote:nice to see you hit back Ramy!

i had a look at ur portfolio, lots of nice varying designs there, some cute some not....

i have to say i always look forward to seeing your entries each week, although can't say i always vote on them

this 1 def. has my vote!

(and yes ppl i kno the history...)


Yes, I quite agree. Nice to see him hit back! c: I love artist responses.

jovan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jovan
Nekkochan wrote:Since there's no blood in a skull, I'm assuming the blood on the bunny's mouth is from breaking his teeth on the bone?


Probably just left over blood from eating the flesh.

partimejudas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages partimejudas
zekecatz wrote:It reminds me just a little bit of World Nom-ination . Maybe it's the rabbit's pose. Maybe it's just me.


I could swear he did something like this a few years back... some kind of horrible "evil" rabbit but I am too lazy to continue caring because trying to speak reason or expose ramyb is like tying water in knots...

Now 100% chock full of little wind-up robots!

partimejudas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages partimejudas
zekecatz wrote:It reminds me just a little bit of World Nom-ination . Maybe it's the rabbit's pose. Maybe it's just me.


I could swear he did something like this a few years back... some kind of horrible "evil" rabbit but I am too lazy to continue caring because trying to speak reason or expose ramyb is like tying water in knots...

Now 100% chock full of little wind-up robots!

JustinC197


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JustinC197
ramyb wrote:I'm not sure what to make if this comment. It starts by saying that you liked a design of mine until you found out the artist's name, then you go on to say all my designs are the same when you started with an example that doesn't fit that mold.

Take a look at my actual woot portfolio:
http://shirtwhat.com/archive_a.php?artist=ramyb

Out of all my designs this year, I would say about 30% fall into the category of "cute, beady-eyed animals." In fact, of my last 8 prints, only one really falls under that category, with the rest exhibiting a variety of different styles. People seem to have the impression that cute animals are a ticket to success, but they really are not, and are in fact no easier to complete as designs than any other style.

I design what I enjoy, and that includes many different styles. Every time I do a cute design, though, these comments come up again and make me wonder if some people have the memory of goldfish or if they simply have failed to find any of my other designs, regardless of how they have done in the derby. And on the flip side, every time I do a design that doesn't have cute animals, I receive a great deal of praise for "trying something different."

I'm sorry to jump out in response to your comment specifically, especially since you were not rude or fighting at all in your post, but it is something I have been thinking and wanted to state and you gave me the opportunity.

I also wanted to mention one other point: I'm thankful to everyone who votes on my designs, regardless of the style, but I don't have a fanbase in my pocket waiting to vote for me when I ring a bell. Unlike many other artist's on this site, I don't advertise my designs anywhere, whatsoever, nor have I ever. No social networking sites, personal portfolios, etc. I didn't ask anyone to migrate from any other sites or anything of that sort.- I don't even put a link to my designs in my signature here on woot anymore. I have several times considered expanding to use one of those resources, but have never had the interest or found the need. All my "fans" and votes come from right here on woot, and I think my sales numbers speak for themselves. All kinds of conspiracy theories have cropped up to try to explain my woot success over the years, but I have just been lucky enough to find a market that enjoys what I create.

Thanks again to everyone who voted on this design, and on the two others I have in this derby, for your continued support


Thank you Ramy! I don't see why people are all bent out of shape because of your design. They are all great, and my Woot shirt collection has a bunch of yours. Great design, great artist, GMV.

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


/facepalm

That is all.

ccazabon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccazabon
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


meh, I'm not impressed with this design. I like your stuff when you put more effort into it.

cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


This is a perfect submission for this derby. I realize the theme is Halloween but seriously, how many people are going to be wearing jack-o-lantern shirts in March? This is creepy enough to be Halloween, yet comfortable enough to wear every day. I wonder if the comments directed at the artist about making more of an effort are coming from other artists, or whether they are from buyers only. I just can't see another artist criticizing the way they have here. Artists should support one another and not whine about the success of one of your own. If you want to see more of an effort, have at it. Be the change you want to see in the world. I don't vote for any particular artist every week and it is insulting to the public to insinuate they have no opinion. This design definitely gets my vote and I have no problem sharing it on my facebook page.

icymallard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


I honestly wouldnt care if I saw this shirt in the fog, except that I want to have some of rogerrogerroger's shirts.

He submitted 3, and I can't get any of them and I am now furrowing my brow at this design that i expected to be in the fog.
This site is the epitome of a cruel world stomping out any kind of optimistic hope for change.

The demand for cuteness is insatiable.
:D

Happy Halloween!

missmelis


quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
partimejudas wrote:I could swear he did something like this a few years back... some kind of horrible "evil" rabbit but I am too lazy to continue caring because trying to speak reason or expose ramyb is like tying water in knots...


I'm not sure if you're thinking of You Have To Try This Guys - which was actually designed by fablefire, not ramy - or this Derby entry from last year.

Ramy: I don't mean this as an attack, but I do feel compelled to point out that this is why people accuse you of phoning it in. There is no significant conceptual difference between that older entry and this one (unless you consider the implied vs. explicit skull-nomming to be a conceptual change, which I don't). Even if you interpret the "no resubs" rule to apply only to past Hallowoot derby entries, the older entry was rejected for being too similar to (I believe) "You Have To Try This Guys". How does this not have the same problem?

I don't hate all of your designs, and I usually don't waste my energy complaining about the ones I don't like. I simply don't vote for them, just as I don't vote for other Derby entries I don't like or wouldn't wear. However, I do feel that you're doing a disservice here to the artists who worked their butts off on a brand-new Hallowoot! design, hoping it might get into the fog. I'm sure you worked hard on your other two designs for this Derby, but I can't believe you put much effort into the recycled idea and artwork on this one.

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

bakerface22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bakerface22
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


Love it!
I usually don't wear black T-shirts but I hope I have the opportunity to get this design

**Baker**

bluetuba


quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
missmelis wrote:I'm not sure if you're thinking of You Have To Try This Guys - which was actually designed by fablefire, not ramy - or this Derby entry from last year.

Ramy: I don't mean this as an attack, but I do feel compelled to point out that this is why people accuse you of phoning it in. There is no significant conceptual difference between that older entry and this one (unless you consider the implied vs. explicit skull-nomming to be a conceptual change, which I don't). Even if you interpret the "no resubs" rule to apply only to past Hallowoot derby entries, the older entry was rejected for being too similar to (I believe) "You Have To Try This Guys". How does this not have the same problem?

I don't hate all of your designs, and I usually don't waste my energy complaining about the ones I don't like. I simply don't vote for them, just as I don't vote for other Derby entries I don't like or wouldn't wear. However, I do feel that you're doing a disservice here to the artists who worked their butts off on a brand-new Hallowoot! design, hoping it might get into the fog. I'm sure you worked hard on your other two designs for this Derby, but I can't believe you put much effort into the recycled idea and artwork on this one.


This is Harmless (nice catch I knew I'd seen that before too) + World Nom-ination = OHGODSTOPRUININGHALLOWOOT!

melloncollie3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages melloncollie3
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


I'm sorry, up until now I'd thought this was a decent entry, just maybe not as worthy of the fog as two or three other designs.
But... It's.... It's the same shirt! The SAME shirt! http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=43680
I've never really agreed with the whole 'he just reworks past designs slightly' vibe completely, but it is totally true here, surely? Welcome any response to this, glad if I can be proven wrong.

missmelis


quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
melloncollie3 wrote:I'm sorry, up until now I'd thought this was a decent entry, just maybe not as worthy of the fog as two or three other designs.
But... It's.... It's the same shirt! The SAME shirt! http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=43680
I've never really agreed with the whole 'he just reworks past designs slightly' vibe completely, but it is totally true here, surely? Welcome any response to this, glad if I can be proven wrong.


I sent you a PM.

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

palookaboy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages palookaboy
missmelis wrote:this Derby entry from last year.


This, to me, is reason enough for rejection. If that one was too similar to an existing shirt, how could this possibly be different enough?

dsbradley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsbradley

No hating here, I own a closet full of your shirts, but someone's comment earlier just made me wonder.

Care to share a ballpark figure of how much you've made in the last year off of shirt.woot?

If not I understand

bob12345swn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bob12345swn
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


Probably won't be picking this one up... it's just a tad bit TOO cute for my liking. Did get my +1, though.

ittybittyx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ittybittyx
crazydoglady wrote: And IMO it is disrespectful to wooters - by my calculations he earns more than the median U.S. income from wooters purchases, you'd think he could at least give us his best.


1. I can't believe you took the time to figure out how much this guy makes
2. Disrespectful to wooters? Are you kidding? Even if he spent 30 seconds on a design and submitted it, how is that disrespectful????
3. The dude isn't an elected official, he owes you nothing

------

I am totally perplexed why all you haters are whining about designs YOU don't like being printed. If YOU don't like something, don't vote for it. Don't buy it. But railing on someone for creating stuff YOU don't like is just ridiculous. There is a difference between giving a critique and being a jerk.

And, so what if its a reworked design? Have none of you ever gone back to something to try and improve it? Or try and figure out how to make it work?

I vote for what I like, what I'd wear. I don't vote for any artist based on their name. I vote for the design. Most of the time, what I like doesn't print. Bummer? Yeah. Social injustice? Um, no.

Sigh. I know my response is pointless, as "Haters gonna Hate", but I had to say something.

joeyliz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeyliz
ittybittyx wrote:1. I can't believe you took the time to figure out how much this guy makes
2. Disrespectful to wooters? Are you kidding? Even if he spent 30 seconds on a design and submitted it, how is that disrespectful????
3. The dude isn't an elected official, he owes you nothing

------

I am totally perplexed why all you haters are whining about designs YOU don't like being printed. If YOU don't like something, don't vote for it. Don't buy it. But railing on someone for creating stuff YOU don't like is just ridiculous. There is a difference between giving a critique and being a jerk.

And, so what if its a reworked design? Have none of you ever gone back to something to try and improve it? Or try and figure out how to make it work?

I vote for what I like, what I'd wear. I don't vote for any artist based on their name. I vote for the design. Most of the time, what I like doesn't print. Bummer? Yeah. Social injustice? Um, no.

Sigh. I know my response is pointless, as "Haters gonna Hate", but I had to say something.


well said ittybittyx

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


Nope. Uh-uh. I have to agree, ramyb, this is way too similar to Harmless. I much prefer your headless horseman entry. It has humor and turns down the cute-o-meter.

larlar1230


quality posts: 0 Private Messages larlar1230

It reminded me of Bunnicula and if it was closer to that idea, I would totally vote for it.

Otherwise I think people would just ask me what the shirt is supposed to mean and then why am I wearing it.

tico0001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


If Adorable Monstrosity is too similar to Harmless;
and Harmless is too similar to an existing shirt.
Then Adorable Monstrosity is too similar to existing shirt. QED.

~T

cruelnv


quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv
tico0001 wrote:If Adorable Monstrosity is too similar to Harmless;
and Harmless is too similar to an existing shirt.
Then Adorable Monstrosity is too similar to existing shirt. QED.

~T


I love the logic here. Using that same logic, if I assumed that milk is similar to curdled milk, and curdled milk is similar to cottage cheese, then pouring a bit of cottage cheese into my coffee should have the same results as using milk, right?

This design *is* similar to Harmless, but that doesn't mean that this shirt should be rejected on account of that. It also doesn't mean it shouldn't. BUT this is a different shirt, and it's up to woot to decide if it's "too similar."

(Side note: There are certain things I like about this shirt more than other, similar shirts... but I'm not so crazy about the "noms.")

My own 2¢ and a candycorn...

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

tico0001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
cruelnv wrote:I love the logic here. Using that same logic, if I assumed that milk is similar to curdled milk, and curdled milk is similar to cottage cheese, then pouring a bit of cottage cheese into my coffee should have the same results as using milk, right?


ummh... no. Your logic is very flawed (mine is fine). You start with an assumption: "if I assumed that milk is similar to curdled milk". I didn't start with an assumption, I started with a fact: Woot rejected "Harmless" for being too similar to an existing shirt.

So in the end your result is just an assumption... mine is a logical fact.

AND, in the end you swapped "similar" to "same". So I can fix your statement by changing it to
"pouring a bit of cottage cheese into my coffee should have SIMILAR results as using milk" and that, fellow wooter, is a fact.

~T

SJulian1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SJulian1
ittybittyx wrote:Snip


Voting for something you like and want to buy is fine. But there is a substantial amount of Ramyb voters that only give him support to watch people flip out over his designs being printed, and they do so with no intention of actually purchasing the shirt. I don't think as many of Ramyb's shirts would be printed, if such people weren't voting.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
SJulian1 wrote:Voting for something you like and want to buy is fine. But there is a substantial amount of Ramyb voters that only give him support to watch people flip out over his designs being printed, and they do so with no intention of actually purchasing the shirt. I don't think as many of Ramyb's shirts would be printed, if such people weren't voting.


citation needed.

move along

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
SJulian1 wrote:Voting for something you like and want to buy is fine. But there is a substantial amount of Ramyb voters that only give him support to watch people flip out over his designs being printed, and they do so with no intention of actually purchasing the shirt. I don't think as many of Ramyb's shirts would be printed, if such people weren't voting.


Considering my sales record versus that of many other artists, I think your argument is pretty weak. If you are concerned about people voting but not purchasing, you should be looking elsewhere.

holothuria


quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
tico0001 wrote:ummh... no. Your logic is very flawed (mine is fine). You start with an assumption: "if I assumed that milk is similar to curdled milk". I didn't start with an assumption, I started with a fact: Woot rejected "Harmless" for being too similar to an existing shirt.

So in the end your result is just an assumption... mine is a logical fact.


No, you're fudging. Because it has not been proved that this is too similar to Harmless, you started by establishing a rule, not stating a factual premise. You cannot have a valid conclusion without two (or more) true premises, and you only have one. Quod erat demonstrandum non demonstratum. (I.e., "What was to be proved is not proved.")

That is not to say that your logic is (necessarily) bad; it's conditional. And the condition will likely never be tested, because those individuals with the (highly subjective) yardstick are not likely to measure whether this is too similar to Harmless. Rather, they will measure whether it is too similar to existing shirts directly.

There is also, as cruelnv was getting at, an issue with degree of variation. (Please note, cruelnv, that I am not saying that your analogy was a good one.) It is possible for both the premise, "Harmless is too similar to existing shirts," and the (hypothetical) premise, "This shirt is too similar to Harmless," to be true without them validating the conclusion that this shirt is too similar to existing shirts. Think of it numerically:

If any design within 3 of another is "too similar"; and
"Existing shirt" is at 5; and
"Harmless" is too similar to "Existing shirt"; and
"A.M." is too similar to "Harmless",

Can we conclude that A.M. is within 3 of existing shirt? Nope, all we can conclude is that it's within the range of -1 to 11--that is, that it's within 6 of existing shirt.

Well, that was a fun distraction from writing midterms. Now, can we all go back to hoping, according to our own tastes, that this design either print or die?

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

tico0001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tico0001
holothuria wrote:No, you're fudging. Because it has not been proved that this is too similar to Harmless, you started by establishing a rule, not stating a factual premise.


No no... I left that out because it is most obviously a factual premise. Well, I guess in a way you are right... it's conditional to having eyes. If you have eyes then you have two true premises.

~T

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
SJulian1 wrote:Voting for something you like and want to buy is fine. But there is a substantial amount of Ramyb voters that only give him support to watch people flip out over his designs being printed, and they do so with no intention of actually purchasing the shirt. I don't think as many of Ramyb's shirts would be printed, if such people weren't voting.


In the current reckoning ...
- Couldn’t Care Less Bear, 2nd place in the derby, 1002 votes, 4097 sales and counting.
- Cell Division, 30th place in the DT derby, 306 votes, 5090 sales and counting.
- Morning Powerup, 2nd place in the derby, 690 votes, 6778 sales and counting.

Recently reckoned ...
- I’m Just Doing My Job, 3rd place in the derby, 963 votes, 2078 sold.
- Substitute Teacher, 2nd place in the derby, 803 votes, 4268 sold.
- Red Revenge, 3rd place in the derby, 823 votes, 3847 sold.
- Funny Things are Everywhere, 1st place in the derby, 1149 votes, 5720 sold.
- Seasons, 1st place in the derby, 942 votes, 4591 sold.
- Aztec Sunset, 1st place in the derby, 854 votes, 6013 sold.

Those are the numbers.

cruelnv


quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv
holothuria wrote:No, you're fudging. Because it has not been proved that this is too similar to Harmless, you started by establishing a rule, not stating a factual premise...


This.

I apologize if my analogy wasn't clear, I was actually implying that I would *personally* see those things as being similar to each other. The whole point of the analogy was to show that just because I feel something is very similar to something else, it does not imply that I am the authority on such matters. Others may view them as very different. That is why I said "...this is a different shirt, and it's up to woot to decide if it's 'too similar.'"

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

superstargoddess


quality posts: 2 Private Messages superstargoddess
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


If this one makes it, I will 100% be getting it!

I am looking to buy "Life Choices", any size, send me a message!

So fuhqued up.

icymallard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard

Haha, these debates are quite inevitable. I remember when I first discovered shirt.woot and I saw a ramyb shirt I was like WOO! PUMPKINS! THATS CUTE and looks really good.

I bought a couple of them and i thought they were cute and wore them and sometimes people would comment and tell me they think the shirt is cute.

A couple months in, i started seeing a cute ramyb shirt just about every other week in the fog. I stopped buying them because I already owned shirts of similar style and cuteness. There really is no substance to these shirts beyond their extremely quick-to-please cutesy style. So i voted for other shirts i thought were clever and good looking in hopes that other wooters would like them too.

About 100-150 weeks in, I realized that if Ramyb submits a cute shirt.. the battle is over.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking cute shirts and there certainly isn't anything wrong with submitting cute shirts for money; but it's just not the type of community i would like to be in.

I think the frustration for me isn't really with the money or the cutesy shirts, its just that when competing against a shirt of Ramyb's cutesy caliber, there is no chance. It feels as if we are discouraging artists' creativity with the popularity of such shirts.

Again, I think Rogerrogerroger is more of the type of design I'd like to wear at the moment, but in no way do I expect most wooters to agree with me.

But I think there is a lot of evidence to say this shirt required little thought of concept and I like my shirts and artists to have cleverness/depth.

I hope maybe my perspective is something I conveyed accurately. I am not going on the offensive here.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
icymallard wrote:its just that when competing against a shirt of Ramyb's cutesy caliber, there is no chance.

Not really true.
Woot has cultivated an audience that is attracted to the kind of design that RamyB makes.
See DianaSprinkle's fogged entry for an example.


move along

omninull


quality posts: 0 Private Messages omninull

Oh, another ramyb design featuring a carnivorous bunny. This isn't even ironic anymore.

erina7262


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erina7262
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


Among many reasons why I would never wear this shirt...
The mouth is a full on camel toe. I can't un-see it.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
erina7262 wrote:
The mouth is a full on camel toe. I can't un-see it.


Now I can't unsee this. Anyone know where the bucket of brain bleach is hiding?

I'm just hanging out, really.

neinahpets


quality posts: 0 Private Messages neinahpets
cherylfrancis wrote:This is a perfect submission for this derby. I realize the theme is Halloween but seriously, how many people are going to be wearing jack-o-lantern shirts in March? This is creepy enough to be Halloween, yet comfortable enough to wear every day.


Exactly the reason I hope it makes it up top or at least near enough it becomes a daily woot.

☆ In ars veritas ☆

crazydoglady


quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
ittybittyx wrote:1. I can't believe you took the time to figure out how much this guy makes
.


Ummm…. It didn’t really take a lot of time… Believe me, I am not a math nerd (more of a math nerd groupie) but I can handle simple addition, multiplication by 2, and “guessing”. So current numbers (thanks Narkcake):

Narfcake wrote:In the current reckoning ...
- Couldn’t Care Less Bear, 2nd place in the derby, 1002 votes, 4097 sales and counting.
- Cell Division, 30th place in the DT derby, 306 votes, 5090 sales and counting.
- Morning Powerup, 2nd place in the derby, 690 votes, 6778 sales and counting.

Recently reckoned ...
- I’m Just Doing My Job, 3rd place in the derby, 963 votes, 2078 sold.
- Substitute Teacher, 2nd place in the derby, 803 votes, 4268 sold.
- Red Revenge, 3rd place in the derby, 823 votes, 3847 sold.
- Funny Things are Everywhere, 1st place in the derby, 1149 votes, 5720 sold.
- Seasons, 1st place in the derby, 942 votes, 4591 sold.
- Aztec Sunset, 1st place in the derby, 854 votes, 6013 sold.

Those are the numbers.



If I remember Narfcakes calculations for Binge correctly, an artist gets $1000 commission for every derby win and $2 per shirt except for shirts sold on the day it premiers and during woot-offs. As previously stated, I’m not a math nerd but even doing this in the laziest possible way... Let’s just assume that each shirt sold a total of 1000 on the day it premiered and subsequent woot-offs combined (reasonable because none of the shirts listed has really huge sales). So subtract 1000 from each of the total sales numbers and add the result. I got 33,482 shirts x $2 = $66,964. And that’s not counting the commission for each of the 9 shirts listed or whatever is earned during a woot-off, so that is probably a conservative number. And that’s for shirts appearing in the last 6 months (8 months?) reckonings. Nope, that didn’t take long at all 

And don’t lump me with the haters – I have consistently said that I believe that Ramy is incredibly talented, that he knows what will sell… I even called him a marketing genius once. And yes, I’ve seen some pretty nit-picky complaints about his designs (someone didn’t like that Cell Divisions arms are coming out of where the ears would be - it’s a cell!!!) But let’s look at Red Revenge – on an otherwise anatomically correct drawing of a woman, one foot is turned out to the side at a 90 degree angle but the knee of that same leg is facing forward. That’s as lazy as my math!!

I was trying to make the point that, even though the commodity is “artistic talent”, Ramy is a professional. If I hire a professional to install new cupboards in my kitchen I expect a polished, professional looking finished product; if I hire the guy next door because I like him and he’s giving me a good deal, I will accept a little less. I don’t own any Ramy shirts because (personally) I don’t think he is putting out professional level work.

Full disclosure: I’m in one of those social services field and I tend to look at things from that perspective. Ramy is young and incredibly talented and making some pretty good money, but if his derby submissions are any indication he is not feeling any incentive to grow and learn. I don’t presume to know what he is capable of and maybe Woot is just a pass-time to him while he pursues greater goals (hell, Renee Zellweger waited tables in a topless bar while she was attending UT) but I think it’s a shame that his flock of voters “enables” him so that he stalls out at just “really good”.

bluetuba


quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
cherylfrancis wrote:This is a perfect submission for this derby. I realize the theme is Halloween but seriously, how many people are going to be wearing jack-o-lantern shirts in March?


Totally, I mean why should the Halloween derby be about Halloween? I should be able to buy a cute bunny shirt in every derby no matter what. I know that Halloween comes only once a year, but it's just too much.

ChaosDoctor07


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
erina7262 wrote:Among many reasons why I would never wear this shirt...
The mouth is a full on camel toe. I can't un-see it.


Cameltoe...and it is bleeding....Oh dear.


"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

bpr2


quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
icymallard wrote:Haha, these debates are quite inevitable. I remember when I first discovered shirt.woot and I saw a ramyb shirt I was like WOO! PUMPKINS! THATS CUTE and looks really good.

I bought a couple of them and i thought they were cute and wore them and sometimes people would comment and tell me they think the shirt is cute.

A couple months in, i started seeing a cute ramyb shirt just about every other week in the fog. I stopped buying them because I already owned shirts of similar style and cuteness. There really is no substance to these shirts beyond their extremely quick-to-please cutesy style. So i voted for other shirts i thought were clever and good looking in hopes that other wooters would like them too.

About 100-150 weeks in, I realized that if Ramyb submits a cute shirt.. the battle is over.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking cute shirts and there certainly isn't anything wrong with submitting cute shirts for money; but it's just not the type of community i would like to be in.

I think the frustration for me isn't really with the money or the cutesy shirts, its just that when competing against a shirt of Ramyb's cutesy caliber, there is no chance. It feels as if we are discouraging artists' creativity with the popularity of such shirts.

Again, I think Rogerrogerroger is more of the type of design I'd like to wear at the moment, but in no way do I expect most wooters to agree with me.

But I think there is a lot of evidence to say this shirt required little thought of concept and I like my shirts and artists to have cleverness/depth.

I hope maybe my perspective is something I conveyed accurately. I am not going on the offensive here.


*thumbs up*

that was fun while it lasted!

draigun


quality posts: 21 Private Messages draigun
Re: Adorable Monstrosity


hahahahahaha! That bunny has his mouth on a skull.. and it says "OM NOM NOM" underneath!! That's so clever and original that this clearly needs a vote.

deltax20a


quality posts: 1 Private Messages deltax20a
SJulian1 wrote:Voting for something you like and want to buy is fine. But there is a substantial amount of Ramyb voters that only give him support to watch people flip out over his designs being printed, and they do so with no intention of actually purchasing the shirt. I don't think as many of Ramyb's shirts would be printed, if such people weren't voting.


My opinion is two-fold, being a veteran shirt.woot member with a very /large/ collection of shirts from probably a dozen artists, I can understand those who are frustrated by Ramy's success and how they perceive shirt.woot members to be small-minded when it comes to simply voting up cute designs to sell, but that's simply not true. Ramy isn't the only artist to sell "cute" designs, and actually I can think of at least five or six artists that draw similar styles and sell very well. But there are also other artists that draw different styles that also sell well, and the rules change each week to give these folks a level field and a chance to make a good design. My presence here is simply a vote and ten bucks, I'm not an artist, I have no talent for what these people do, unless the next derby is "Photoshop Creations" you won't see my name in there, so cut these folks a little bit of slack when it comes to putting out designs you might like and you might want to buy.

That said though, I really would have liked to see something else come from your entry this week Ramy.It's not the style for me here, it's that we've all seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail a hundred times, you could have dug deeper after that rejection. (which I'm not sure why that was rejected?) Plenty of other Haloween-related material to choose from.

katreenz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages katreenz
ramyb wrote:Out of all my designs this year, I would say about 30% fall into the category of "cute, beady-eyed animals."


62%, actually. And that's just going from the thumbnails.

bunbunshops


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bunbunshops
ramyb wrote:I doodled this little guy earlier today just for fun, but then couldn't resist finishing him

edit


This is so cute! I know this derby is over, but woot should make this shirt so I can buy it!

Thank you.

VooDooPC


quality posts: 0 Private Messages VooDooPC

http://shirtwhat.com/archive_e.php?entry=54911

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=50789

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=46195

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=43680

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=57341

Zzzzzz

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail